Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default HC/GM

What are your views on Head Coaches who are also General Managers? Positives are that there is little friction with a GM and the HC gets the player he needs to fit his scheme. Some examples i can think up off the top of my head (correct me if im wrong and feel free to add more) are mike shannahan and mike nolan, but i cant for the life of me remember any others, though i am sure there are more. But, negatives are that the HC may be overworked from coaching and doing all the duties a GM may have to do.

Whats your view on this subject? Do you feel they are more efficient, cant work, etc?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marvin Lewis is a GM to a lesser extent... Owner Mike Brown has the final say in moves but Marvin targets the players while the Blackburn family handles the financial aspect of the team.

I personally wish the Bengals had a GM, the coach as the GM can work well too... In both situations you just have to have the right guy.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they're alright unless their name is Mike Sherman :)

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe that if you have a coach that can play as HC and GM, then he should do it. Coaches should be able to choose who they have playing for them.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 AM    (permalink
mcdlaxbonz13
Veteran

mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

all i think of is butch davis and how bad he was

Sig by jkpigskin , thanks.
mcdlaxbonz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:01 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thom from Jacksonville: Your comments on Belichick got me thinking. I know he's considered a great coach. Is there a lesson there, that personnel guys do the drafting while coaches coach? I seem to remember a lot of fiascos when guys get the head coach and GM job together.

Vic: The two jobs are each too big for one man to do both. That old Bill Parcells crap about if “I gotta cook the meal I should do the shopping” is laughable. The best coach-GM situations are those that involve two men who respect each other’s opinion, share a fundamental personnel philosophy and are capable of coming to joint decisions. Bill Belichick clearly has that going for him in New England, where Belichick and Scott Pioli represent one of the best coach-GM relationships in recent football history. Belichick and Pioli are daring men who understand the value of the cap and the need to turn over your roster on a yearly basis. Look at who the Patriots have lost this offseason: Willie McGinest, David Givens and Adam Vinatieri. Do you realize what kind of message that sends? Nobody is safe. Age and money have their limits. I am in awe of what they do in New England. They’re the best.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=5073
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:17 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know that Holmgren's coaching suffered when he was the GM (also he couldn't build a defense.) Doing both jobs is hard enough, add the fact that your job as a GM in negotiations is basically to tell the player why they aren't worth the money they want, and then you have to coach that player...it just doesn't work.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

after Sherman i don't want to go that way again. often times it's just too much responsibility to handle, other times they're just a bad GM, but sometimes it will work.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Butch Davis was horrible at it, having said that I hope he recovers from whatever is causing his sickness.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
I know that Holmgren's coaching suffered when he was the GM (also he couldn't build a defense.) Doing both jobs is hard enough, add the fact that your job as a GM in negotiations is basically to tell the player why they aren't worth the money they want, and then you have to coach that player...it just doesn't work.
Yeah that's a rough spot those limited few have to deal with.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I think they're alright unless their name is Mike Sherman :)
He was okay to start, didnt he bring in Harris,KGB,Kampman,Barnett etc. Anyway before this becomes a packers discousion i think its a good idea if they have experience with money and the cap.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm against it. Like it said in Vics comment, all you need are two guys who can work together. If you have that then the coach is probably going to have plenty of input on the personnel decisions anyways. If I was an owner I would want my coach solely focused on coaching, and my GM focused on money and talent evaluation. In this day and age the NFL is just too complicated for one man too handle all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote