Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xbox live is hands down the best online your getting for consoles, and really 60 bucks a year isnt bad. Tho I hope they dont jack it up any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the price is a little bit inflated at this point. I'm willing to pay 50, no problem. I would prefer to pay 35-40, but 60 is getting to be a little much when compared to the competitions no charge. At 60, we should get dedicated servers for the majority of games.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean activision wants to start carging extra for servers for COD which is why they boost up their map packs to 15 bucks to see if people will pay.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Activision wants to start charging people 30 dollars for cut scenes in games. Seriously.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

xbox live kills playstation network right now. $60 isn't even a thought in my mind anymore.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
why though? i don't see much difference.

* i should note that i don't play much online, and thus imply nothing factual about my opinion, other than that it may be based on slightly more than 10 minutes of examination.
Everyone has (or should have) mics, the friends functions are better-implemented, it's easy to get people together in a game... For instance, you can invite someone to play a game you're playing even if they're playing another game...

It's really just the whole functionality of it all. It's a better multiplayer/friends setup. PSN is just thrown together.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment. I've spent a lot more time on Live simply because it's given me a whole lot more reasons to. It's just a better, more cohesive experience.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that Xbox live is a big step up from the PSN but you guys need to quit whinging about the price. I have to pay like $89.95 a year!

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 PM    (permalink
B-Dawk
Veteran

B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ive been getting by with a silver account using netflix bc im broke and cant afford any new games id want to take online anyways

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)
B-Dawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
why though? i don't see much difference.

* i should note that i don't play much online, and thus imply nothing factual about my opinion, other than that it may be based on slightly more than 10 minutes of examination.
The servers cost a ton of money to run, and it costs a ton of money to develop and maintain the code

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
The servers cost a ton of money to run, and it costs a ton of money to develop and maintain the code
This is not completely true. The servers do not cost all that much money to run because the games are hosted by players, not by Xbox Live. It does cost some money to develop it and maintain it, more than Playstation Network since Xbox Live is sort of it's own thing and not just a "hey, I can play this game against other peope" kind of thing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
This is not completely true. The servers do not cost all that much money to run because the games are hosted by players, not by Xbox Live. It does cost some money to develop it and maintain it, more than Playstation Network since Xbox Live is sort of it's own thing and not just a "hey, I can play this game against other peope" kind of thing.
You are ignoring chat, voice communication, game updates. Tons of little things that take bandwidth and CPU cycles for some computer some where.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
You are ignoring chat, voice communication, game updates. Tons of little things that take bandwidth and CPU cycles for some computer some where.
While this is true, 50 dollars and the bountiful amount of advertising dollars that pour in from the dashboard sponsors and such more than account for that stuff, if managed correctly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
While this is true, 50 dollars and the bountiful amount of advertising dollars that pour in from the dashboard sponsors and such more than account for that stuff, if managed correctly.
I'm assuming you mean the price of a game and not a yearly price which would be true.

The money you pay for a game and the money M$ gets from advertising is completely separate from the money you pay for XBOX Live. The money you pay for a game goes entirely to the developer, who kicks a small percentage M$'s way for providing and maintaining development tools and manufacturing equipment used to play their game on. Advertising exists only in the marketplace, which is its own self sustaining (and separate) system. If you pay for something there with points, you are paying for the bandwidth and to have somebody put it there for you. If something is free, the developer paid for it for you to get you to buy their stuff.

What you are paying for when you buy Live is all the little things you probably don't even know is happening. Every time you play a game you are connecting to Live and your console is connecting to a server, validating you stuff, checking version numbers, doing hundreds of things I don't know about. You can't pay for that in a 1 time fee because it's impossible to predict how long you will use it for or what it will cost in the future. That is why you pay for it as long as you are using it. And you can't pay for it with advertising because they have to sell ads on a monthly basis, not all at once. Plus there aren't any ads when you use Live unless you go find them in the marketplace. If you don't want to see ads playing online, you never have to.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

XBox Live = Facebook

PS3 = Myspace

lol. I personally dont give a **** about either of those social network deals...but as for an analogy, it works. It's just a better experience, with a more active community. The interface is better, more user friendly. It's a nice subscription to have. I do hate paying for it, for sure. But it's not so bad...it's $5 a month.

And as far as popularity...I dont even have 3 friends that play online using the PSN. Damn near everyone who has an XBOX, in my experience has some form of gold XBOX live, and the majority would be active online, as well. Just a better overall experience.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and looking from a far. I think i'd prefer the Playstation Move to Kinect. At least they're beginning to integrate some "real" games already. It looks like it works beautiful as well...I'll wait for some Kinect reviews and what not. But right now, if I had to buy one, for whatever reason, I'd go with the Move. I'm still not that interested in it, however. Only way I see myself getting it, is if one of my parentals bought it for me for Christmas. lol.

I never see this catching on as a gaming regularity, though. Just hand me my controller, please.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
PSN does all of that...
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Moth's analogy is perfect haha.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
PSN does all of that...
Yeah, pretty much. Microsoft can make a profit with the 50 dollars a year per user and the advertising. That's not even taking into account how profitable the marketplace has been for them. It's the better run, better overall service, but it's not like they're hurting for cash on it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh, I'm not a Microsoft hater or anything but some of their reasons for raising the subscription price are idiotic. Seriously, you're raising the price because the 360 gets exclusive COD map packs early? WTF? What about the rest of us who don't give a **** about the completely overrated COD franchise or map pack exclusivity? They raised it because the price in developing Gears of War 3? Really?

Sigh.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
XBox Live = Facebook

PS3 = Myspace

lol. I personally dont give a **** about either of those social network deals...but as for an analogy, it works. It's just a better experience, with a more active community. The interface is better, more user friendly. It's a nice subscription to have. I do hate paying for it, for sure. But it's not so bad...it's $5 a month.

And as far as popularity...I dont even have 3 friends that play online using the PSN. Damn near everyone who has an XBOX, in my experience has some form of gold XBOX live, and the majority would be active online, as well. Just a better overall experience.
This. When I moved back in with my parents for a year, I used my dad's Playstation. Loved it, but there was literally nobody online to play with. When I moved back out, the first thing I did was buy an Xbox because all my friend's have it, and I would rather game it up with my idiot friends than with idiot strangers.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NBA 2k11 is so boner-licious. It's so incredibly realistic and not to mention damn fun.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Meh, I'm not a Microsoft hater or anything but some of their reasons for raising the subscription price are idiotic. Seriously, you're raising the price because the 360 gets exclusive COD map packs early? WTF? What about the rest of us who don't give a **** about the completely overrated COD franchise or map pack exclusivity? They raised it because the price in developing Gears of War 3? Really?

Sigh.
Thats pretty ***...I play neither COD nor GOW...
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious njx, because you seem to have knowledge on the subject and I've always been curious, are maintaining a wealth of servers to operate a persistent online "world" inexpensive? I'm not sure if that's what you're alluding to in your post above. It's just something I've always wondered about when it came to MMO's. I know the reasoning for "monthly fees" for MMO's was for server maintenance and additional "free" content users get.

I'm very technology literate, but when it comes to networking and servers I have absolutely zero knowledge.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
NBA 2k11 is so boner-licious. It's so incredibly realistic and not to mention damn fun.
Any tips on how not to suck? I can shoot fine at this point, but I'm having problems driving and finishing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau