Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Which of these teams is most likely to miss the playoffs in the AFC?
Patriots 4 5.13%
Jets 8 10.26%
Steelers 2 2.56%
Ravens 10 12.82%
Colts 7 8.97%
Titans 47 60.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2010, 12:30 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Who gets left out in the AFC Playoff Race?

As it stands right now, it looks like there are about 6 quality teams in the AFC East, North and South....and with one spot going to the winner of the West (Yes, the Chiefs and Raiders are improved...but not on level of these other teams yet imo) one quality team is getting left out.

So here is my look at each of those 6 teams:

New England Patriots - Best record in the league...offense keeps on rolling while their young defense shows flashes. It's hard for me to see them missing out on the playoffs.

New York Jets - Thier offense really sputtered vs. Green Bay last week, but they have the talent on both sides of the ball to be very dangerous. That defense is smothering and when the weather starts to turn and the high flying passing attacks slow down, they have the o-line and RBs to really grind out close playoff-atmosphere type games. I really feel like they're getting one of the Wildcard spots at least.

Pittsburgh Steelers - They had a hiccup against the Saints, but their defense is beastly and their offense is extremely well rounded with Ben back and Mendenhall running well. I think they win the North.

Baltimore Ravens - Another team who can play defense with the best of them and has balance on offense. I think they just beat out the AFC South loser for the other Wildcard spot.

Indy Colts - Or should I say Indy Peyton Mannings? He just keeps getting it done...not always as pretty as years past, and I think they may still lose a few against quality opponents, but it would be absolutely foolish to count them out of the playoffs until the day comes where they do actually miss out.

Tennessee Titans - Because I'm reluctant to rule out the Colts, Ravens or Jets, I guess by default I have to rule out Tennessee....but thats very hard to do. They're quietly the highest scoring team in the league (read that on TMQ) and are playing very solid defense. Their games remaining against the Colts are probably going to be the most imporant for any of the teams I've mentioned here...even if the Titans can split those games, they have a chance.

These 6 would make for a hell of a playoffs even without an AFCW team. There isn't a true "weak link" in there....any of those teams could beat any other team in there on any given day, it'd be hard to pick a winner.

So which of those teams do you think is most likely to miss out? Or could it be more than one? The Dolphins, Chargers and Texans are all dangerous and could have a say in how things fall, but I think each of them is overall worse than the 6 here.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahah by default I was thinking the Titans as well but their a solid team too. Idk who to vote for, all of these teams can and should make the playoffs. Either Ravens or Titans for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I unfortunately and reluctantly voted Titans. :(
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I picked the Titans because of the uncertain QB situation. Their defense is great and though CJ2K isn't killing it like last year they just got Moss so there won't be so many defenses stacking the box.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have this odd feeling it will be the Jets, and I still am not counting out the Fins.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
I have this odd feeling it will be the Jets, and I still am not counting out the Fins.
I debated on whether or not to include the Dolphins.....I just think if you stacked them up against any of the 6 teams listed here, they'd be the clear underdog while if you matched up any of those 6 teams, it would be hard to decide in any matchup.

The Dolphins special teams cost them the Pats game, and other than maybe the Titans QB situation....they would have the worst in that group since we don't really know what Henne is yet.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I debated on whether or not to include the Dolphins.....I just think if you stacked them up against any of the 6 teams listed here, they'd be the clear underdog while if you matched up any of those 6 teams, it would be hard to decide in any matchup.

The Dolphins special teams cost them the Pats game, and other than maybe the Titans QB situation....they would have the worst in that group since we don't really know what Henne is yet.
Fins losses are to teams on this list, and they likely should have beaten the Steelers, I would buy them as legit, possibly better than the Titans if they match up.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I really think Henne is on the brink of greatness. If he can work on finishing drives he will be a top QB in this league.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I really think Henne is on the brink of greatness. If he can work on finishing drives he will be a top QB in this league.
If you ask a Titans fan, VY is right there too. I want to see more from both...if either of their teams makes the playoffs, they're going to need to step up and show that they're great and not just hint at it.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
If you ask a Titans fan, VY is right there too. I want to see more from both...if either of their teams makes the playoffs, they're going to need to step up and show that they're great and not just hint at it.
I know they say that but IMO Henne is closer. Granted I have seen more of VY since he is a division rival, so that may color my assessment.

Henne has Marshall, now VY has Moss. Let's see what they can do.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-05-2010, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Phins are better than the Titans, IMHO
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

You know what else is sad about this is that it's entirely possible that the AFCW winner will be the 4th seed despite potentially being the worst team....

I have nothing against the division winners being guaranteed a spot (as long as they're 8-8 or better...there should NEVER be a losing team in the postseason) but the seeding should be done by record.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
You know what else is sad about this is that it's entirely possible that the AFCW winner will be the 4th seed despite potentially being the worst team....

I have nothing against the division winners being guaranteed a spot (as long as they're 8-8 or better...there should NEVER be a losing team in the postseason) but the seeding should be done by record.
I agree. I'm glad they at least changed draft seeding so that a 7-9 division winner can't catch fire, win some playoff games, and still select in the top half of the draft. But a 7-9 or 8-8 team does not deserve to host a playoff game vs. a team with 10+ wins.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-05-2010, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its the Colts or Titans, whoever doesn't win the division won't be in the playoffs probably. The Titans have only played one divisional game so far, they have 5 of them in their last 6 games so it should be pretty interesting to see how they do there.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember when ppl were still riding Houston as a "sleeper" in the offseason?

Hopefully this season where they underachieve yet again finally puts a stop to that nonsense we hear every offseason.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Hopefully this season where they underachieve yet again finally puts a stop to that nonsense we hear every offseason.
Leagues worst tease. Every off-season they seem to improve in a critical aspect of the game only to get substantially worse in another area. Well, at least they have a decent O-line now.

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
Leagues worst tease. Every off-season they seem to improve in a critical aspect of the game only to get substantially worse in another area. Well, at least they have a decent O-line now.
Like, I know it's now the big thing to say this.....but that is exactly how Arizona was. Breakout teases for a few seasons until then everyone started to get sick of them and give up....they limp into the playoffs atop a bad division and the bam! Get hot and run to the Superbowl.

Too bad for the Texans their division is so much tougher, as is their conference....they really needed to dominate and haven't done it all.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:04 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
Phins are better than the Titans, IMHO
We'll find out for sure in 9 days.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good news for the Texans they are very much in it. Just 1 game back of the Colts and 1/2 of the Titans.

I think the Colts and Titans are much better, but they can still turn it around. They finished strong last season, if they do it again before its too late they still have a chance.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That team has Gary Kubiak. No way they make it.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
That team has Gary Kubiak. No way they make it.
They could do a lot worse. The Cowboys or Vikings would probably trade in a heartbeat right about now...
Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I picked the Dolphins to win the East before the season and I think they are a team that will only get better as the season progresses. Very young, especially on defense and even if their locale doesn't lend itself to winter football, their style of play certainly does.

I wonder how big of a role yet another bad officiating decision that just happens to benefit the Steelers plays down the stretch.

I think injuries are just brutal on the Titans right now, who I had in the Superbowl :(
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They could do a lot worse. The Cowboys or Vikings would probably trade in a heartbeat right about now...
Lovie Smith challenges that.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Lovie Smith challenges that.
Don't you mean calls a time out, the replays show its a completely wrong call but he forgets to challenge it, then gets a delay of game penalty for squinting at the replay and scratching his chin?
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
I picked the Dolphins to win the East before the season and I think they are a team that will only get better as the season progresses. Very young, especially on defense and even if their locale doesn't lend itself to winter football, their style of play certainly does.

I wonder how big of a role yet another bad officiating decision that just happens to benefit the Steelers plays down the stretch.

I think injuries are just brutal on the Titans right now, who I had in the Superbowl :(
Kenny Britt is the only one of our starters that wont be ready for the Dolphins game, unless I am completely blanking on someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote