Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
D it just comes down to if you think Romo can win us a championship. There has been a lot of disappointing finishes the last few years with Tony at the helm. The talent was there, the O-Line wasn't always this bad. There were no excuses. What makes you think that now, with many of our former pro-bowlers appearing over the hump, that he can do more with less. Because that's what its going to take from him.
I'm far from a Romo apologist. He WAS loose with the football and he did have growing pains. But no matter which year you want to point with the team has always been plagued with the penalty bug along with the dropsies from his receiving core. Placing the blame on ONE guy in a team game makes no sense.

You've seen the fall off from going from an elite pro bowl QB to a seasoned over the hill veteran. Imagine tossing a rookie into that fire. You want to kick one of our only 'sure thing' assets to the curb for a chance at a lottery ticket? The return for Romo is not going to be commiserate for what you are losing. Unless the goal is to tank for a few years.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
D it just comes down to if you think Romo can win us a championship. There has been a lot of disappointing finishes the last few years with Tony at the helm. The talent was there, the O-Line wasn't always this bad. There were no excuses. What makes you think that now, with many of our former pro-bowlers appearing over the hump, that he can do more with less. Because that's what its going to take from him.
Actually, the OL has been bad for a while now. It was bad when we lost to the Giants in the playoffs and it was never fixed. We just overrated them. Without Romo, we wouldn't have gotten to where we did. I fully believe that.

We also have been dealing with inconsistent OC issues.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I'm far from a Romo apologist. He WAS loose with the football and he did have growing pains. But no matter which year you want to point with the team has always been plagued with the penalty bug along with the dropsies from his receiving core. Placing the blame on ONE guy in a team game makes no sense.

You've seen the fall off from going from an elite pro bowl QB to a seasoned over the hill veteran. Imagine tossing a rookie into that fire. You want to kick one of our only 'sure thing' assets to the curb for a chance at a lottery ticket? The return for Romo is not going to be commiserate for what you are losing. Unless the goal is to tank for a few years.
I would dread throwing a rookie QB behind that line and with that defense. It'd be a recipe for disaster. He wouldn't have the success of a Big Ben or even a Mark Sanchez.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I just think it's clear that the OL needs a massive fix before we can blame any QB back there... including Kitna.
The O-line ruins any potential offensive momentum the team can get. If they suck you can't run or pass because they're getting pushed back into the running backs or quaterback's face. In terms of offense O-line, like you said, needs to be the biggest priority. There's talent everywhere but there.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy looks like a serial killer here. lol I would make this my new av if I wasn't repping the almighty barrel roll.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
I'm not talking about drinking gatorade sitting down, I'm talking about pouting...

I have never seen Brees or Brady or either Mannings do this.... hell I don't know what other QBs do this on the sidelines. Tony does it a lot, and it just adds to the soap opera we have here in Dallas. IDK maybe i'm totally wrong on this and I hope I am because I know Jerry loves Romo and would never get rid of him but geez his body language just seems so much different than the other 'top QBs' in the league.

And I don't know if I would agree that Tony is the playmaker we neeed, I mean the guy has had some pretty damn good talent around him and he only won 1 playoff game. That's not what we need, my goal, as is the rest of our fanbase, is a Super Bowl.
Wow, bro, so one picture is all it takes to kill Romo?
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Romo...I want to get that out of the way right away.

However that said I also was one if not the only person saying we should trade him for Cutler. So that said I clearly have a past of thinking him going could help this team.

What this ultimately comes down to is the #1 pick. Luck is going #1 idc who has the pick...Luck is the best player in this class and he is going to test well...he's going #1.

Now if we tank and have the #1 pick you draft Luck for a couple of reasons.

1. Luck is judicious with the football. He's not the only college QB with this trait but he is the only one with this trait that has elite physical traits to go with it. Those traits are why he goes #1. It's his head that will allow him to be a game manager starting off. He has the mental makeup to be a rookie QB and win...while all rookie QB's struggle no matter how great...he gives us something else that tony doesn't. If you have the #1 pick in the draft you use it on a LT or a QB. It just makes sense financially. You don't pick #1 because you are 1 corner away from winning the super bowl. You have lots of holes so you have to allocate funds to the right positions.

2. Window of opportunity. Call me crazy but we are talking about 10 years. Luck just turned 21, while he doesn't have the veteran grizzle that Tony Romo has, he has 10 more years with the franchise if you do in fact deem him as a franchise guy. No one can deny that. Romo can win it all...but 3-5 years is all you get.

3. This is the one that is completely debatable....if you think Tony Romo is holding this team back. Whether it's his leadership or his demeanor on the field he sure does stir up quite the debate in the media. That would instead hand this off to the new "golden boy" #1 pick...lots and lots of pressure. But that said I don't think this team is winning "in spite" of tony romo...they are winning because of him.

4. Lastly the hardest part of losing Romo is the on-the-field production out of him from day 1. We aren't going to be as dynamic with a rookie Qb...that said however Romo is a trade chip and should pull in a late 2nd early 1st round pick minimum. You reinvest that into your team. So while this doesn't make perfect sense...you can't argue that this move wouldn't make some sense.

Drafting Luck extends your window to win and that isn't debatable unless you don't buy him having success in the NFL which I find hard to believe.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 AM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post

However that said I also was one if not the only person saying we should trade him for Cutler. So that said I clearly have a past of thinking him going could help this team.

What this ultimately comes down to is the #1 pick. Luck is going #1 idc who has the pick...Luck is the best player in this class and he is going to test well...he's going #1.

1. Luck is judicious with the football. He's not the only college QB with this trait but he is the only one with this trait that has elite physical traits to go with it. Those traits are why he goes #1. It's his head that will allow him to be a game manager starting off. He has the mental makeup to be a rookie QB and win...while all rookie QB's struggle no matter how great...he gives us something else that tony doesn't. If you have the #1 pick in the draft you use it on a LT or a QB. It just makes sense financially. You don't pick #1 because you are 1 corner away from winning the super bowl. You have lots of holes so you have to allocate funds to the right positions.

2. Window of opportunity. Call me crazy but we are talking about 10 years. Luck just turned 21, while he doesn't have the veteran grizzle that Tony Romo has, he has 10 more years with the franchise if you do in fact deem him as a franchise guy. No one can deny that. Romo can win it all...but 3-5 years is all you get.

3. This is the one that is completely debatable....if you think Tony Romo is holding this team back. Whether it's his leadership or his demeanor on the field he sure does stir up quite the debate in the media. That would instead hand this off to the new "golden boy" #1 pick...lots and lots of pressure. But that said I don't think this team is winning "in spite" of tony romo...they are winning because of him.

4. Lastly the hardest part of losing Romo is the on-the-field production out of him from day 1. We aren't going to be as dynamic with a rookie Qb...that said however Romo is a trade chip and should pull in a late 2nd early 1st round pick minimum. You reinvest that into your team. So while this doesn't make perfect sense...you can't argue that this move wouldn't make some sense.

Drafting Luck extends your window to win and that isn't debatable unless you don't buy him having success in the NFL which I find hard to believe.
Spot on bro.

How do you feel about trading some of the other stars for picks?

Guys like Roy, Witten or Miles who big-up backups?

Need quality bodies and you got to give to get.

Romo, Miles, Witten, and Roy will rebuild the team younger at G/C, ILB, S.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thank you Thule, that's 100% what I was trying to relay. It is certainly an option that we take Luck if we wind up with the #1 pick and I don't know why people are so opposed to it. You nailed it though.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Spot on bro.

How do you feel about trading some of the other stars for picks?

Guys like Roy, Witten or Miles who big-up backups?

Need quality bodies and you got to give to get.

Romo, Miles, Witten, and Roy will rebuild the team younger at G/C, ILB, S.
I think the progression of Dez throughout the rest of the season will determine how expendable Miles is come the offseason. I mean, do we really need 2 pro bowl WRs when we could get something in return that could help us more like C/G help? Don't think it would happen though.

We have invested in the wrong positions but we have enough expendable guys (especially if we take Luck #1) to aquire enough picks or young guys in the league to make a smooth transition. I think it's extremely far fetched and knowing Jerry he will live and die with our current core cast of players, but who knows, if we tank and go 1-15 he has to start looking past our coaching blunders and start dissecting the locker room.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 11-12-2010 at 10:43 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Were not trading Witten and Miles dude.. There both in their primes and under 30, and your not gonna get an upgrade there... come on now.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Were really talking about trading Austin now? Come on guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Were really talking about trading Austin now? Come on guys....

I'll take you Austin for a 30 pack of beer and Kevin Gilbride.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Trading Austin...

Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

We aren't having the #1 overall pick. I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

...and that should take care of my response to the rest of your post.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We aren't having the #1 overall pick. I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

...and that should take care of my response to the rest of your post.
Giants
Lions
Saints
Colts
Eagles
Skins
Cards
Eagles

Now that Stafford's hurt we have a better chance of beating Detroit but Suh is liable to rape , I'm talking hide yo kids hide yo wife type of rape, and other than that the only other winnable game is ARZ which is a toss-up. 1-15 is staring us right in the face, best case scenerio we go 3-13. #1 pick is certainly a real possibility.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we shouldn't talk about rebuilding. We must keep our talent and get new talent where there's a lack of. Why trade Witten and Austin? You get a C and a G, maybe two good ones, but you loose two all-pros in their prime. You don't do that.
It's like talking about trading Ware, Ratliff or Spencer. You let them go only if you have someone equally good to replace them (see TO... and btw I still think that we should've keep TO. the guy is still a baller and I think that mostr of the controversy about him was created by the media). We can't create new holes in our team. We must fill our holes. If you let go guys like Austin or Witten, or even Felix you don't know if you'll replace them with equally good players.

And I agree with thule. If we have the 1st pick (we won't) we must take Luck. It's like Dez. I don't care about all the people saying "Jerry got a new toy when he needed a tackle". Guys like Dez (and like Luck) don't grow on trees, you don't pass on them. Moss should've taught us this lesson. Because then you see them rocking this league for 10-15 years and very few coming near them.
If you take Luck and trade Romo you create a hole but you fill it with a super star-in-the-making.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

You don't give up a sure thing at a key position. I don't care how well Luck looks, he's not a sure thing at all. Barring injury I could see Romo giving you 26-35 TDs in the next 4 years, and maybe more years if he ends up playing into his late 30s like Jeff Garcia. It's not like he played a whole bunch before he started, so there's a good chance he'll play that way.

Luck on the other hand may be the next Peyton Manning, but he also may be the next Ryan Leaf too. He could be another Carson Palmer. That's not bad, but do you really want to trade a Pro Bowl QB with good chemistry with Pro Bowl receivers for Carson Palmer? This team doesn't need a quarterback, so Luck shouldn't be on the board for them.

You know what else? There will be yet another QB that's supposed to be this almighty god in the next three drafts, and he'll be another can't miss prospect like Luck is now. The same thing happens with damn near every draft. Every draft since 2002 supposedly had a franchise signal caller worth taking high, and that QB was going to put his team in the playoffs perennially. Some have worked out while many haven't. Luck may be special, but he's not worth taking over Romo. Getting rid of Romo throws out the chemistry with one of the best young receivers in the game in Miles, you kill the reliable connection with the game's best tight end in Witten, and your budding star who will probably be elite in a few years, Dez, has to get used to another quarterback learning the ropes as well.

Meanwhile there are holes in the secondary and offensive line that needs fixing, and there are prospects who can fill them if the needs aren't met in free agency.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Why you don't take Luck...

1. QBs are HUGE gambles. I'm sure I don't have to outline history for you. Imagine the laughing stock we'd be if he didn't pan out. We really can't afford to draft one considering all of our other needs.

2. Our team is not far away from bouncing right back into contention. New coaching changes, additions to the OL and secondary and we're right back in it. You also have to love our chances of getting right back to the playoffs where anything is possible considering next season's schedule should be very easy.

3. Romo is not anywhere close to being washed up or too old to play the game effectively. QBs in this league last VERY long. It's not like RB where age 30 is the end of the line. Even if he has 5 years left in him like thule mentioned, that's still a heck of a lot of time left and it's too premature now to go into panic mode about addressing the position.

4. By the time Romo is done, we'll know it because our team will be terrible. ...and we'll be right back picking at the top of the draft. We can draft a QB then. There's no reason to think we have to take a QB now because we don't know when we'll be picking this high again. We'll be picking this high again when Romo is done.

5. Luck is not one of those once in a decade type QB prospects. He may be a Matt Ryan type, but he is not a Peyton Manning type. IMO, he looks more like a Carson Palmer type.

6. This team is not ready to support a rookie QB. We need a strong supporting cast on both sides of the ball and we simply don't have that.

7. What a waste it would be to hold Luck on the bench for years while we wait for Romo to decline. Meanwhile the rest of our weaknesses continue to get exposed.

8. Romo as a valuable trade chip. Yes, of course he is. Doesn't mean he won't be later either. Look at the Eagles. Traded McNabb when it was clear he was done, but they still got a 2nd round pick for him. No time to panic now to trade Romo before his trade value goes down.

9. The money Luck will make cannot be used as a back up player. The player we get at that pick must have an impact from Day 1.

10. Lastly, what message does that send to our players? A BAD one! It tells the team that we're no longer interested in winning now. That there is no belief in this group to get the job done. It tells them that we're in total rebuilding mode. That they should all expect to be on the block no matter how good they are because we're supposedly looking for "value". If you believe TheFinisher... then Miles Austin is on the block too. Why stop there? You get rid of Romo, Austin, Witten... hell... start the entire fire sale... none of the good vets like Ratliff and Ware will want to be a part of this crap. A move like this will break up the lockerroom, cause the new coaching staff to get fired all over again.. but hey! We'll get 20 draft picks and a team of all rookies! Wooo hoo! Winner!

...yeah right. :/
Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think the progression of Dez throughout the rest of the season will determine how expendable Miles is come the offseason. I mean, do we really need 2 pro bowl WRs when we could get something in return that could help us more like C/G help? Don't think it would happen though.

We have invested in the wrong positions but we have enough expendable guys (especially if we take Luck #1) to aquire enough picks or young guys in the league to make a smooth transition. I think it's extremely far fetched and knowing Jerry he will live and die with our current core cast of players, but who knows, if we tank and go 1-15 he has to start looking past our coaching blunders and start dissecting the locker room.
Miles expendable....geez you do realize that he just got a new deal THIS YEAR right? Speaking of his deal idk if anyone ever got a look at it but wow this is a front end heavy deal. No way shape or form you'll see him cut but interesting to note that after 2011 he most certainly will be a bargin.

Quote:
9/9/2010: Signed a seven-year, $57.168 million contract. The cap-friendly deal contains $18 million guaranteed -- no signing bonus but all of Austin's whopping first-year base salary. 2010: $17 million, 2011: $8.5 million, 2012: $1.5 million, 2013-2016: Under Contract, 2017: Free Agent
per rotoworld

You don't give someone 18 million guaranteed and cut them the following year...that is just ignorance talking.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Why you don't take Luck...

1. QBs are HUGE gambles. I'm sure I don't have to outline history for you. Imagine the laughing stock we'd be if he didn't pan out. We really can't afford to draft one considering all of our other needs.

2. Our team is not far away from bouncing right back into contention. New coaching changes, additions to the OL and secondary and we're right back in it. You also have to love our chances of getting right back to the playoffs where anything is possible considering next season's schedule should be very easy.

3. Romo is not anywhere close to being washed up or too old to play the game effectively. QBs in this league last VERY long. It's not like RB where age 30 is the end of the line. Even if he has 5 years left in him like thule mentioned, that's still a heck of a lot of time left and it's too premature now to go into panic mode about addressing the position.

4. By the time Romo is done, we'll know it because our team will be terrible. ...and we'll be right back picking at the top of the draft. We can draft a QB then. There's no reason to think we have to take a QB now because we don't know when we'll be picking this high again. We'll be picking this high again when Romo is done.

5. Luck is not one of those once in a decade type QB prospects. He may be a Matt Ryan type, but he is not a Peyton Manning type. IMO, he looks more like a Carson Palmer type.

6. This team is not ready to support a rookie QB. We need a strong supporting cast on both sides of the ball and we simply don't have that.

7. What a waste it would be to hold Luck on the bench for years while we wait for Romo to decline. Meanwhile the rest of our weaknesses continue to get exposed.

8. Romo as a valuable trade chip. Yes, of course he is. Doesn't mean he won't be later either. Look at the Eagles. Traded McNabb when it was clear he was done, but they still got a 2nd round pick for him. No time to panic now to trade Romo before his trade value goes down.

9. The money Luck will make cannot be used as a back up player. The player we get at that pick must have an impact from Day 1.

10. Lastly, what message does that send to our players? A BAD one! It tells the team that we're no longer interested in winning now. That there is no belief in this group to get the job done. It tells them that we're in total rebuilding mode. That they should all expect to be on the block no matter how good they are because we're supposedly looking for "value". If you believe TheFinisher... then Miles Austin is on the block too. Why stop there? You get rid of Romo, Austin, Witten... hell... start the entire fire sale... none of the good vets like Ratliff and Ware will want to be a part of this crap. A move like this will break up the lockerroom, cause the new coaching staff to get fired all over again.. but hey! We'll get 20 draft picks and a team of all rookies! Wooo hoo! Winner!

...yeah right. :/
2010: Bradford
2009: Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman
2008: Ryan, Flacco

Notice that since Russell went #1 overall in the draft and guys like Lienart and Quinn have set franchises back. Has anyone else noticed a change in scouting at the position. We haven't had a single QB bust in the first round in 3 years. Since Russell teams have caught on to something...way to much money is going to be invested to mess up at this stage. These top 3 prospects get torn down to the tiniest little blemish.

I'm not saying Luck can't bust...I'm just saying it's a safe bet that he'll be a good player in this league. And the fact that he is 10 years younger gives us a bigger opportunity for victory.

This reminds me of all those Raiders fans who said they weren't going to draft Russell...they had bigger needs and a rookie QB wasn't going to help things...but fact remained they were picking #1 in the draft and you almost have to go QB or LT or premier rusher there.

Sure you can say..."well we won't have the first pick in the draft". Well I also would have told you at the beginning of the year "well we won't be 1-7 so why talk about it". We are playing like the worst team in football...we aren't even competitive anymore. Unless we put a good performance up against the Giants...and see the troops rise up and play for Garrett there is no reason we can't debate picking #1 overall. Buffalo and Detroit are bad...but they've been competitive and last I checked we don't have any give me's on our schedule to finish the year.

Logically lets think about it like this.

McNabb went for a 2nd thought of as an older and more washed up than Romo. That said Romo probably fetches atleast a 1st and 3rd. Cutler brought 2 1sts and a 3rd i believe.

Now this is hypothetical of course. Lets say we get a 1st and 2nd for Romo.
That turns our draft class into.
1-Luck
1-Heyward
2-Pouncey
2-Camiri

So it's easy to say that drafting Luck makes no sense because we are a talented team and trading away our star QB would be dumb.

But if you look at the big picture. You could potential get 2 early starters on the OL and a impact presence at 5-tech...plus a top signal caller.

So just for argument purposes....picking Luck #1 does make some sense and could still fill positions for us...and give us a bigger window to win. Every single QB drafted in the past 3 years has proven they can win on the field...and while you can argue they had a better supporting cast...a big time FA OL and 2 top 50 OL in the draft with talent at the skill positions isn't a terrible look at it.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-12-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
#1 pick is certainly a real possibility.
But not a probability, Carolina & Buffalo certainly, maybe even the 9ers or any 2-win team could drafting ahead of Dallas. I'm thinking 3-13 sounds about right with Romo out.

Win over Detroit in the Patrick Peterson sweepstakes game, he could be the #2 or 3 pick, & sweeping the damn Eagles last yr. will be good for 1 win vs. Philly. You're right, Zona is a tossup, they are talent-depleted & Dallas has a lonnnnnng history of thrashing them.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Roy looks like a serial killer here. lol

WARNING: Do NOT let this man near a schoolyard or children :--D

(his pass dropping habits could be contagious)
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
2010: Bradford
2009: Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman
2008: Ryan, Flacco

Notice that since Russell went #1 overall in the draft and guys like Lienart and Quinn have set franchises back. Has anyone else noticed a change in scouting at the position. We haven't had a single QB bust in the first round in 3 years. Since Russell teams have caught on to something...way to much money is going to be invested to mess up at this stage. These top 3 prospects get torn down to the tiniest little blemish.

I'm not saying Luck can't bust...I'm just saying it's a safe bet that he'll be a good player in this league. And the fact that he is 10 years younger gives us a bigger opportunity for victory.

This reminds me of all those Raiders fans who said they weren't going to draft Russell...they had bigger needs and a rookie QB wasn't going to help things...but fact remained they were picking #1 in the draft and you almost have to go QB or LT or premier rusher there.

Sure you can say..."well we won't have the first pick in the draft". Well I also would have told you at the beginning of the year "well we won't be 1-7 so why talk about it". We are playing like the worst team in football...we aren't even competitive anymore. Unless we put a good performance up against the Giants...and see the troops rise up and play for Garrett there is no reason we can't debate picking #1 overall. Buffalo and Detroit are bad...but they've been competitive and last I checked we don't have any give me's on our schedule to finish the year.

Logically lets think about it like this.

McNabb went for a 2nd thought of as an older and more washed up than Romo. That said Romo probably fetches atleast a 1st and 3rd. Cutler brought 2 1sts and a 3rd i believe.

Now this is hypothetical of course. Lets say we get a 1st and 2nd for Romo.
That turns our draft class into.
1-Luck
1-Heyward
2-Pouncey
2-Camiri

So it's easy to say that drafting Luck makes no sense because we are a talented team and trading away our star QB would be dumb.

But if you look at the big picture. You could potential get 2 early starters on the OL and a impact presence at 5-tech...plus a top signal caller.

So just for argument purposes....picking Luck #1 does make some sense and could still fill positions for us...and give us a bigger window to win. Every single QB drafted in the past 3 years has proven they can win on the field...and while you can argue they had a better supporting cast...a big time FA OL and 2 top 50 OL in the draft with talent at the skill positions isn't a terrible look at it.
If I believed what you just said, I'd think there's no way NFL teams will ever draft another QB bust in the first round. lol. Oh no. I don't believe that for a second. Look how they loved Locker last year and this season he looks like crap.

I don't think we'll be picking #1 overall, and I'll stick to that. I think this conversation will be funny at the end of the season. But ok. Let's say we are picking #1. If that's the case, then I would suggest trading down.

There will be a time for us to address QB, and when that time comes, we'll use our first rounder then. It won't be for at least another 5 years. Even you agreed that Romo's window is that long.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thinking that there is even a single iota of a chance that we take Luck, is a hilarious notion.

It's not happening gentlemen. You dont just give up on Qbs of Romo's caliber. Especially one that just entered the prime of his career. How soon people forget that he's coming off the best year of his career last season. And he did indeed, carry this team on his back many a time. Gah.

To think Romo is the reason we dont succeed further, is also equally hilarious.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote