Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Thule you honestly think were gonna get Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins in one off-season? I think that's wishful thinking at best, the chances of that happening are slim to none, hell those players may not even be FA's let alone end up on our team.

Also, we have to put FS on the board with our 2nd round pick. Deunta Williams and Rahim Moore will be available there, probably first crack at a safety with that pick, so we need to weight their value with a lineman there.
I'm hoping that we get 1 OG. 2 would really help to jump start our turn around, but I agree. Not sure which OL are going to be retained by their teams. I think we'll see some good OL released because of expensive contracts though. So there's a lot of unknowns.

As for Safety in Round 2... not happenin' if we take Peterson in the first.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Players to be put on the block:
Martellus Bennett
Igor Olshansky
Orlando Scandrick

Release Players (if you can't find trades):
Roy Williams - $5M
Marion Barber - $4.25M
Bradie James - $3.5M
Leonard Davis - $6M
Andre Gurode - $5.5M
Marc Colombo - $1.9M
Clears up: $20-25M

I hope Barber isn't let go, but I definitely think the possibility is there. Williams is a goner. As is Davis. I think there's a chance for Gurode to stay if he restructures his deal and agrees to move to OG. I think it'll be too difficult to sign 2 OGs in FA, so I think it would be in the interest of both parties to work something out. I don't think Gurode can make more on the market at this stage of his career. Colombo could be a cut casualty, but I don't think we can just rehaul the entire OL in 1 offseason and his $1.9M is not a huge savings. James is done in by the new coaching staff looking for a fresh start. I think Lee has a chance to get a lot more playing time in the second half of the season which should prepare him to start next year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not resign:
Alan Ball RFA - $550K
Alex Barron - $2.73M
Jason Hatcher - $1.8M
Kyle Kosier - $3M
Marcus Spears - $1.2M
Gerald Sensabaugh - $1.8M
What they earned in 2010: $12M

Nothing there worth keeping.

Restructure:
Terence Newman - $9M

This is something that simply needs to get done. He doesn't deserve that much.

Resign:
Stephen Bowen
Sam Hurd
Doug Free
Bryan McCann

With the moves above we should have $30-35M to spend in FA. We'll need to resign some of our own guys. Outside of Free, they should be cheap contracts.

FA:
OG Logan Mankins
S Eric Weddle
CB Richard Marshall
ILB David Harris

We should have an active FA. Mankins hates NE ownership. He's earned his UFA status by joining the team last week. If he hadn't he'd hit FA once again as a RFA, and NE would have a lot of power over him. Up to us to show him the money now. As for Weddle, we saw the Chargers wrestle with Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill. I don't see them ponying up for Weddle now. It doesn't look like Carolina plans to bring Marshall back. Their loss... hopefully, our gain. There seems to be a decent crop for FA CBs. We need to get one that will help. The Jets are going to be strapped for cash. They just gave huge contracts to Revis, Mangold and D'brick Ferguson. They also have other FAs in Shaun Ellis, Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Brodney Pool. They probably won't franchise Harris. So I see him being available.

Draft:
1. DB Patrick Peterson, LSU
2. OT Tyron Smith, USC
3. C Mike Brewster, Ohio State
4. DE Marvin Austin, UNC
5. NT Phil Taylor, Baylor
6. OG Will Rackley, Lehigh
7. K Kai Forbath, UCLA

2011 Roster:
QB Romo / Kitna / McGee
RB Choice / Jones
FB Gronkowski
WR Austin / Bryant / Hurd
TE Witten / Phillips / Bennett
LT Free / Smith
LG Mankins / Holland
C Brewster / Gurode
RG Gurode / Rackley
RT Smith / Young

DE Bowen / Austin
NT Taylor / Brent
DE Ratliff / Olshansky
OLB Ware / Butler
ILB Harris / L.Williams
ILB Lee / Brooking
OLB Spencer / B.Williams
CB Marshall / Scandrick
CB Jenkins / McCann
CB Newman
FS Peterson / McCray
SS Weddle / Church

K Buehler
K Forbath
KR Peterson
PR Bryant
LS Lacodeur

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-14-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That looks pretty awesome D. A few things. 1 I would be scared of cutting Bradie because we need a new starter then, and do we know if Sean Lee is good enough right now? Does Brooking have another high caliber season left? Because it could be argued Bradie could be better then him in 2011.

Also want NO PART of putting Peterson at FS, I'd rather try your idea and put Newman there. You don't take 1 of the best CB prospects ever, and not put him at CB first especially since it's a need. Newman in the slot, all of a sudden our corners are MUCH better. If Peterson lacks put him at FS, but give me the WR who can shut down his WR and take away that side of the field vs a FS who can cover alot of ground and make plays.

I'd take Revis over Polamalu for our defense easily, now if he moves there then sure.

Mankins is #1 on our list and it seems likely he'll hit FA unless they tag him or something to piss him off or force a trade partner I don't know. We'd pay up big for him too. I don't see the entire line being rehauled at once either but it looks spot on with who is gonna be gone. I want to hit FA hard on the line, I'd hate to draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy to rely on as a starter on the line and he doesn't pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That looks pretty awesome D. A few things. 1 I would be scared of cutting Bradie because we need a new starter then, and do we know if Sean Lee is good enough right now? Does Brooking have another high caliber season left? Because it could be argued Bradie could be better then him in 2011.

Also want NO PART of putting Peterson at FS, I'd rather try your idea and put Newman there. You don't take 1 of the best CB prospects ever, and not put him at CB first especially since it's a need. Newman in the slot, all of a sudden our corners are MUCH better. If Peterson lacks put him at FS, but give me the WR who can shut down his WR and take away that side of the field vs a FS who can cover alot of ground and make plays.

I'd take Revis over Polamalu for our defense easily, now if he moves there then sure.

Mankins is #1 on our list and it seems likely he'll hit FA unless they tag him or something to piss him off or force a trade partner I don't know. We'd pay up big for him too. I don't see the entire line being rehauled at once either but it looks spot on with who is gonna be gone. I want to hit FA hard on the line, I'd hate to draft a 2nd or 3rd round guy to rely on as a starter on the line and he doesn't pan out.
The thing is....Peterson isn't an elite CB in college football. He doesn't lock down his side...when going up against NFL talent...such as Julio Jones recently he didn't shut him down. He actually has a history of not locking down his side of the field when put up against NFL talent WRs.

Thats the big misconception...he's elite because of his attributes...he's a once every 10 year prospect because of his measurables not because of his play on the field. He grades out as a good corner...probably still higher than Prince...that said tho...he also grades out as the top safety in this class for the same reasons. His best attribute is his ball skills imo...he treats every ball like it's being thrown to him.

He also excels at driving on the ball once he finds it...this is why you are see'ing some scouts talk about him being a possible safety prospect. He's known as a great tackler and really attacks on the field.

Honestly his only knock is craps he's had since middle school...but outside of that he could play anywhere. Nothing is said about him being a good safety...but to be honest, when gauging his strengths and weakness's neither one prohibits him from either position.

it's one thing to say he's an elite corner and he displays it on the field...but to be honest he hasn't been lockdown against NFL talent...and while he has the physical attributes to do that...he also has the physical attributes to be an elite safety. What position are we weaker at?

Don't say Newman can play safety...because while he is fundamentally sound in his tackling technique he isn't near physical enough to succeed at that...he's not a Rod Woodson...he is a silky smooth cover corner.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:48 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The thing is....Peterson isn't an elite CB in college football. He doesn't lock down his side...when going up against NFL talent...such as Julio Jones recently he didn't shut him down. He actually has a history of not locking down his side of the field when put up against NFL talent WRs.

Thats the big misconception...he's elite because of his attributes...he's a once every 10 year prospect because of his measurables not because of his play on the field. He grades out as a good corner...probably still higher than Prince...that said tho...he also grades out as the top safety in this class for the same reasons. His best attribute is his ball skills imo...he treats every ball like it's being thrown to him.

He also excels at driving on the ball once he finds it...this is why you are see'ing some scouts talk about him being a possible safety prospect. He's known as a great tackler and really attacks on the field.

Honestly his only knock is craps he's had since middle school...but outside of that he could play anywhere. Nothing is said about him being a good safety...but to be honest, when gauging his strengths and weakness's neither one prohibits him from either position.

it's one thing to say he's an elite corner and he displays it on the field...but to be honest he hasn't been lockdown against NFL talent...and while he has the physical attributes to do that...he also has the physical attributes to be an elite safety. What position are we weaker at?

Don't say Newman can play safety...because while he is fundamentally sound in his tackling technique he isn't near physical enough to succeed at that...he's not a Rod Woodson...he is a silky smooth cover corner.
Finally some sense. Rather pay Prince CB money and get a CB. Peterson is ATH and much like Landry.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Finally some sense. Rather pay Prince CB money and get a CB. Peterson is ATH and much like Landry.
A lot of people want to say that Prince is the better CB. Technical you can't argue it...because technique wise Prince is ahead of PP.

That said Prince also hasn't done well against top NFL competition either. He just got eaten up Alshon Jeffery 2 weeks ago.

I actually like Prince as a safety also. I think both guys could succeed at either...but there are no impact safeties in FA and no other ones in the draft...so why not try to convert one of these two DB's and let them play S.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

They are both cornerbacks. Why try to fix something that isn't broken.

As for your plan D, that is pretty much spot on. One thing, is Garrett your HC?
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because for one I don't think you should take a safety that high, especially one who hasn't ever played there. Safeties rarely go as high as Peterson will be picking, and he'll probably go in a slot that would make him the highest Safety ever drafted. Your willing to take that risk and put him at a brand new position? At least Eric Berry had a highly decorated career at said Safety position.

For two, you can say he's not an elite CB now ok sure, but his measurables make him look like he can be an elite corner in the NFL and that's all that matters. You mean to tell me Darrelle Revis was locking WR's down at Pitt the same way he is now? Nope. I saw a ton of him and he showed a ton of flashes, but was still passed on and wasn't dominating the competition like your saying Peterson should have been.

What elite CB lately has locked his side of the field down completely?

All I'm saying is you draft a player like him, at his original position, if he only looks to be a solid player then you make the switch. CB is arguably a bigger need then FS now, look at who was in the game for us today.

Antrelle Rolle and Malcolm Jenkins weren't even better CB prospects then PP will be, but they still got the shot to play the position they were in College first before switching. There is a TON of value in the early 2nd round being that it'll be rare for a safety to catapult up into the 1st round, but we could almost have the 1st pick of our Safety with the 2nd rounder.

Can you say the CB's available are of that quality if we happen to look at that position there? I wouldn't be trying to draft a CB in the top 4 picks, and convert him to FS right away, if it doesn't work it'll be much harder to convert back to CB then vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
A lot of people want to say that Prince is the better CB. Technical you can't argue it...because technique wise Prince is ahead of PP.

That said Prince also hasn't done well against top NFL competition either. He just got eaten up Alshon Jeffery 2 weeks ago.

I actually like Prince as a safety also. I think both guys could succeed at either...but there are no impact safeties in FA and no other ones in the draft...so why not try to convert one of these two DB's and let them play S.
I have no issue taking a CB and making him a S so long as he has ball skills and FOOTBALL BRAINS.

Prince seems the better football player and someone who can quickly make up ground in the intellectual part of the game. Peterson seems to need more time to improve technique and brains.

Good example of ATH who needs some work on the intellectual part of the game. My man #21.

But all things being considered, give me a CB with good fundamentals over an ATH so long as the athletics aren't crazy uneven.

Revis is a great example of technique over talent. Cromartie is a better ATH than Revis but who is a better CB?

Last edited by baghdadbob : 11-14-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Players to be put on the block:
Martellus Bennett
Igor Olshansky
Orlando Scandrick

Release Players (if you can't find trades):
Roy Williams - $5M
Marion Barber - $4.25M
Bradie James - $3.5M
Leonard Davis - $6M
Andre Gurode - $5.5M
Marc Colombo - $1.9M
Clears up: $20-25M

I hope Barber isn't let go, but I definitely think the possibility is there. Williams is a goner. As is Davis. I think there's a chance for Gurode to stay if he restructures his deal and agrees to move to OG. I think it'll be too difficult to sign 2 OGs in FA, so I think it would be in the interest of both parties to work something out. I don't think Gurode can make more on the market at this stage of his career. Colombo could be a cut casualty, but I don't think we can just rehaul the entire OL in 1 offseason and his $1.9M is not a huge savings. James is done in by the new coaching staff looking for a fresh start. I think Lee has a chance to get a lot more playing time in the second half of the season which should prepare him to start next year.

Do not resign:
Alan Ball RFA - $550K
Alex Barron - $2.73M
Jason Hatcher - $1.8M
Kyle Kosier - $3M
Marcus Spears - $1.2M
Gerald Sensabaugh - $1.8M
What they earned in 2010: $12M

Nothing there worth keeping.

Restructure:
Terence Newman - $9M

This is something that simply needs to get done. He doesn't deserve that much.

Resign:
Stephen Bowen
Sam Hurd
Doug Free
Bryan McCann

With the moves above we should have $30-35M to spend in FA. We'll need to resign some of our own guys. Outside of Free, they should be cheap contracts.

FA:
OG Logan Mankins
S Eric Weddle
CB Richard Marshall
ILB David Harris

We should have an active FA. Mankins hates NE ownership. He's earned his UFA status by joining the team last week. If he hadn't he'd hit FA once again as a RFA, and NE would have a lot of power over him. Up to us to show him the money now. As for Weddle, we saw the Chargers wrestle with Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill. I don't see them ponying up for Weddle now. It doesn't look like Carolina plans to bring Marshall back. Their loss... hopefully, our gain. There seems to be a decent crop for FA CBs. We need to get one that will help. The Jets are going to be strapped for cash. They just gave huge contracts to Revis, Mangold and D'brick Ferguson. They also have other FAs in Shaun Ellis, Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Brodney Pool. They probably won't franchise Harris. So I see him being available.

Draft:
1. DB Patrick Peterson, LSU
2. OT Tyron Smith, USC
3. C Mike Brewster, Ohio State
4. DE Marvin Austin, UNC
5. NT Phil Taylor, Baylor
6. OG Will Rackley, Lehigh
7. K Kai Forbath, UCLA

2011 Roster:
QB Romo / Kitna / McGee
RB Choice / Jones
FB Gronkowski
WR Austin / Bryant / Hurd
TE Witten / Phillips / Bennett
LT Free / Smith
LG Mankins / Holland
C Brewster / Gurode
RG Gurode / Rackley
RT Smith / Young

DE Bowen / Austin
NT Taylor / Brent
DE Ratliff / Olshansky
OLB Ware / Butler
ILB Harris / L.Williams
ILB Lee / Brooking
OLB Spencer / B.Williams
CB Marshall / Scandrick
CB Jenkins / McCann
CB Newman
FS Peterson / McCray
SS Weddle / Church

K Buehler
K Forbath
KR Peterson
PR Bryant
LS Lacodeur
1) So you are going to cut 4 starting OL and sign 1 FA OL?
2) Harris from the Jets has back problems. Luv UoM but this might be a bad signing
3) Has Weddle played that well to give that kind of cash?

Anyway, time to have fun I guess at 2-7
Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Just because Peterson is 6'2'' 215 doesn't mean he has to be a safety and can't run. It's such a stupid stereotype and assumption. Like thule posted from an observation from a PRO SCOUT, he is the best corner to come out of the SEC since champ bailey. CORNERBACK.

He is the calvin johnson of corner's. Just cause he's huge doesn't mean he has to play safety. It's stupid.

Jenkins and Rolle couldn't buy Peterson's fluidity and lateral quickness with all the money in the world, let alone top end speed. The kid is a freak CB. stop the safety talk. Maybe when he's 34, he can pull a rod woodson, sure. But now, no.

EDIT: and honestly bob, just leave dude. We're trying to have quality discussions and all you do is spam about how everything is awful. Patrick Peterson could be the best CB of all time and we could win the next 5 super bowls and you'd still be saying some about how the cowboys aren't good. Just stop dude.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
1) So you are going to cut 4 starting OL and sign 1 FA OL?
2) Harris from the Jets has back problems. Luv UoM but this might be a bad signing
3) Has Weddle played that well to give that kind of cash?

Anyway, time to have fun I guess at 2-7
1) Check again. That's not what I suggested. Gurode is still starting... Just at OG. If we can sign 2 FA OGs, then I'd say cut Gurode too if he doesn't agree to restructure. I have no problems cutting Davis and Colombo and then not giving an extension to Kosier. I can see a situation where Colombo is kept. He only makes $1.9M next season. But I would hope that he's on a short leash and that he could be replaced very early by a rookie who we drafted in early Round 2.

2) I didn't know Harris had back problems... Thanks.

3) Weddle is receiving what kind of cash? I didn't suggest anything. But I do think he's at least a decent player at SS. I thought about Bernard Pollard, but I don't see him leaving Houston. I wouldn't mind Champ Bailey and putting him at Safety, but I don't think the posters here have that kind of open mindedness. The thought definitely intrigues myself though.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Just because Peterson is 6'2'' 215 doesn't mean he has to be a safety and can't run. It's such a stupid stereotype and assumption. Like thule posted from an observation from a PRO SCOUT, he is the best corner to come out of the SEC since champ bailey. CORNERBACK.

He is the calvin johnson of corner's. Just cause he's huge doesn't mean he has to play safety. It's stupid.

Jenkins and Rolle couldn't buy Peterson's fluidity and lateral quickness with all the money in the world, let alone top end speed. The kid is a freak CB. stop the safety talk. Maybe when he's 34, he can pull a rod woodson, sure. But now, no.

EDIT: and honestly bob, just leave dude. We're trying to have quality discussions and all you do is spam about how everything is awful. Patrick Peterson could be the best CB of all time and we could win the next 5 super bowls and you'd still be saying some about how the cowboys aren't good. Just stop dude.
First off... I don't care what ONE pro scout said. Because I know for a fact that other pro scouts have mentioned that his best position might be at Safety.

IMO, I really question whether he has the fluid hips to play CB at the next level. I question his suddenness and ability to change direction. When you're a guy of that size you don't just turn your body on a dime. I know I haven't seen it in him. That's why many think Amakumara is the best pure corner in the draft.

I think there is a huge misbelief that CB is more important that Safety. That it's more difficult to fill than S. I honestly am not sold. PP could probably be a Pro Bowl CB... but if he can be an All Pro Safety, I'm playing him at S.

Feel free to continue to criticize my suggestion for him at S. I think I know how we'll be looking back on this debate in the future.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 AM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Conspiracy theorist here: What if Garrett threw the first half of the season to get Wade fired? Suddenly the Cowboys start winning... huge payday from Jerruh. Stranger things have happened.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I don't think we're getting PP anyway. They lions are gonna finish with a worse record and snag him. I'm honestly hoping for a few more wins now, getting into the bottom of the top ten to take prince. We're not gonna have a shot at Peterson, to nice of a dream to be true, so might as well get some wins.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we play like we did yesterday, 6 wins is a possibility, so that puts us in a 6th-12th pick area. Another thing is, if Garrett gets the job, I doubt we're going to have a serious house cleaning.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

They made a point on the radio today, that what if they o-line plays like this from here on out?

THAT WOULD SUCK. Colombo and Davis would probably be kept.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Guys... don't overreact from the Giants win. The Giants are an overrated team who isn't as good as everyone makes them out to be.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

That doesn't discourage keeping the o-line if they play well down the stretch.. Which would suck.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
That doesn't discourage keeping the o-line if they play well down the stretch.. Which would suck.
Our OL is both aging and expensive. 2 things that don't go too well with each other. THEN if you also add in that they have already shown signs of poor play (which they have), then you spell doom.

OL changes are most definitely happening. If they play well down the stretch, then maybe a couple of them (Colombo - because he is cheap and Gurode - because he can play C or G) may have worth for keeping around 1 more year until the new guys are ready from the draft.

But let me say this too....

Don't be surprised if Doug Free is ultimately moved back to the right. He's had some ugly moments at times this year at LT. Still willing to let him work it out though. It's not time to give up on him there just yet.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Either way, he must be re-signed.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I would love to see us win out and have a OT climb the ranks to boarderline top 10 pick....then that would make a ton of sense to draft a OT in that 6-12 range if one can rise that high.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I would love to see us win out and have a OT climb the ranks to boarderline top 10 pick....then that would make a ton of sense to draft a OT in that 6-12 range if one can rise that high.
I mentioned Tyron Smith in my mock. Top of Round 2. Have you had a chance to see him play yet?

The guy makes me drool. He could definitely reach mid-late first round status. I'd take him in an instant. Then a safety like Deauna Williams in Round 2 and I'd be a happy little girl on draft day.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

[quote=baghdadbob;2381696]I have no issue taking a CB and making him a S so long as he has ball skills and FOOTBALL BRAINS.

Prince seems the better football player and someone who can quickly make up ground in the intellectual part of the game. Peterson seems to need more time to improve technique and brains.

Good example of ATH who needs some work on the intellectual part of the game. My man #21.

But all things being considered, give me a CB with good fundamentals over an ATH so long as the athletics aren't crazy uneven.

Revis is a great example of technique over talent. Cromartie is a better ATH than Revis but who is a better CB?[/QUOTE]

Bingo! I know some are talking about Peterson at safety but I think its a bad fit. Athletically he can perform the role easily but mentally I think he'd struggle processing all the information and reacting instinctively because he doesnt do out at corner. If we're going to convert a corner to safety prince is our man. I actually think if we're a smart team Prince has to be higher on our board and unless we plan on playing alot of press man coverage which I'm worried about with how terrible our linebackers are in coverage. I think zone is the best bet for our team and Prince is the better off man and zone corner. I actually think Peterson will be off the board bu the time we select on draft day. I think we'll be somewhere within that pick 6-10 range. I think Nick Fairley, Adrian Clayborn, and Prince.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
Bingo! I know some are talking about Peterson at safety but I think its a bad fit. Athletically he can perform the role easily but mentally I think he'd struggle processing all the information and reacting instinctively because he doesnt do out at corner. If we're going to convert a corner to safety prince is our man. I actually think if we're a smart team Prince has to be higher on our board and unless we plan on playing alot of press man coverage which I'm worried about with how terrible our linebackers are in coverage. I think zone is the best bet for our team and Prince is the better off man and zone corner. I actually think Peterson will be off the board bu the time we select on draft day. I think we'll be somewhere within that pick 6-10 range. I think Nick Fairley, Adrian Clayborn, and Prince.
If you watch Peterson play, he's actually great when he can see the ball in front of him. I don't get how you could even think for a second that he doesn't have good instincts. He plays so instinctively, that I think he would be a natural fit at Safety where he could be facing the ball more often and reading the QBs eyes.

But you really lost me when you said Prince would be a better safety. You said PP would struggle because he doesn't have the experience playing safety... right? But what about Prince?

Prince is purely a cornerback prospect. I think you're going in a direction that nobody is talking about when you talk about Prince as an NFL safety. Interesting though. Try suggesting that in the NFL prospect forum and seeing what people's thoughts are. I for one, don't have that kind of guts. lol.