Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best Team [Week 12 Edition]

Technically we're not there yet but I highly doubt the Chargers or Broncos will receive votes.

Several of the top teams came away with impressive victories.. where does this leave your picks at?

I'm going to go ahead and go

1a. Packers (Homer, maybe, 85-10? Last three games. Finally getting healthy(er) and clicking on both sides of the ball. No one has played a better last 4 games.)
1b. Steelers (Look, I know the Patriots beat them convincingly and won today against a good team.. but this defense is way ahead of the Patriots and the offense is close.)
1c. Patriots (If the team wasn't so young, lacking a big play WR or RB, and with an inexperienced D they'd be #1.)
1d. Atlanta (Chance to hit #1 next week against Packers)
1e. Philly (turnovers and dumb Giants plays helped them win but definitely an elite team.)

I gave you 5 because I really see this as more of a 1a-1e *possibly* elite tier type of deal. If you can present an argument why one of these teams is clearly above the others or doesn't belong in this tier, I'd love to hear it.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers/Falcons game will show you who is either the #1 or #2 team in the NFC depending on where you rate Philly.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets wins may not be overpowering or pretty but hey they're 8-2 and got a double digit win vs the Pats. Gotta account for something.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecollegedropout View Post
Jets wins may not be overpowering or pretty but hey they're 8-2 and got a double digit win vs the Pats. Gotta account for something.
They were also shut out by Green Bay at home and have gone into OT against both Cleveland and Detroit. What does that account for?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand how the Steelers are ahead of New England if we clearly saw who the better team was a week ago. Green Bay has only beat two teams with winning records, and one of them was the Eagles starting Kevin Kolb all the way back in week one. Right now I'd rank the top 5 teams as (quality wins in parenthesis):

1. New York Jets (NE, @MIA)
2. New England Patriots (@MIA, BAL, @SD, @PIT, IND)
3. Philadelphia Eagles (ATL, IND, @WAS, NYG)
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (ATL, @TEN, @TB, @MIA, OAK)
5. Atlanta Falcons (@NO, TB, BAL)

Last edited by Matthew Jones : 11-22-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Matthew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
I don't understand how the Steelers are ahead of New England if we clearly saw who the better team was a week ago. Green Bay has only beat two teams with winning records, and one of them was the Eagles starting Kevin Kolb all the way back in week one. Right now I'd rank the top 5 teams as:

1. New York Jets
2. New England Patriots
3. Philadelphia Eagles
4. Pittsburgh Steelers
5. Atlanta Falcons
I agree with this, although I would switch Philly and Atlanta.

1. New York Jets
2. New England Patriots
3. Atlanta Falcons
4. Pittsburgh Steelers
5. Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta plays with great discipline, they just execute on offense and even though their defense has its flawes it gets the job done. Philly looks really good, Vick in particular. I'm just not quite sold on them yet, but if they keep this up they can beat anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's seen here...

1.) Patriots - Up by 3 scores, their defense showed it's lack of seasoning (best word I can use to describe it.) But they've got a HoF coach and QB who I think will play their best when the games really start to count in the postseason.
2.) Eagles - Michael Vick for MVP. Weren't as dominant against the Giants last night, but I don't think they've lost a game this year where Vick started and finished iirc.
3.) Steelers - The New England game was bad, but they are the worst possible matchup for the Steelers imo. If the get Aaron Smith back for the playoffs with their offense going at full stride, they'll be tough for anyone else to beat.
4.) Packers - If you told me before the season they would shut down the Cowboys, Jets and Vikings all in a row like they did, I'd be incredibly impressed. With the Cowboys and Vikings playing the way they are this year, it's somewhat less impressive...but still pretty darn good. If they were at full strength, they'd be the best team in the NFC without question.
5.) Falcons - Seems like they play down to their competition...not a quality I like in serious contenders. The game yesterday was closer for most of the way than the final score would indicate. Still, a well rounded team that will be a tough matchup for anyone, especially if they get a few home games in the playoffs.
6.) Jets - A talented team who's gotten lucky at the right times in recent weeks. Against true playoff teams, I don't think they can expect the same kind of breaks. They need to be more dominant.

Homer corner - I think I'd put the Bears somewhere in the next couple with the Giants, Colts and Ravens. Our defense isn't elite with our secondary...if someone slows our pass rush for a game, I fear that will be exposed. But we don't give up too many big plays and hold teams to field goals really well when they do drive. Probably the most "solid" defense in the NFL if not the most dominant.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly think that the Patriots are better than the Jets but I have to put the Jets at #1 by default because they did beat the Patriots.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Packers/Falcons game will show you who is either the #1 or #2 team in the NFC depending on where you rate Philly.
While true, it doesn't really matter who the best team is on November 28 or even December 13th...... I clearly remember the 2007 season where in the NFC, you had both Dallas & Green Bay at 10-1, playing each other.... and into the playoffs they were CLEARLY the top 2 teams at 14-2 & 13-3, while the (4-4 over the final 8 games) NY Giants were not at their level.

And then come January the Giants won playoff games at both Dallas & the Packers and beat 18-0 New England in the most thrilling Super Bowl ever, many would say.

Last year down the stretch, most of the pundits in the month of December were proclaiming Philly to be the best team in the NFC, then they got spanked in week 17 by Dallas, and then round 1 of the playoffs by Dallas.

The Packers were red hot in the last half of the season going 7-1 with the only loss being a last-second miracle pass by Roethlisberger at Pittsburgh. Well our defense got lit up in Arizona and we were 1 & done.

I think in both the NFC and AFC that any team that gets in can go to the Super Bowl, with the exception of whoever wins the NFC West. That division is a joke. Every team in that division is under .500 except the 5-5 Seahawks, who are -48 net on the points scored/allowed this season.

In the AFC West, only San Diego would have a chance to advance to the Super Bowl in that conference, IMO, and even them it's a long shot.

I think any of these teams could go to the Super Bowl once they got in:
Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Chargers..... and I wouldn't really favor any a lot more than the others. Whoever plays cleaner and can go turnover-free will advance.

In the NFC, the Eagles, Giants, Saints, Falcons, Packers, and Bears.
I can't put Tampa Bay in as realistic because I don't think they can beat 3 GOOD teams.

True, we've seen 9-7 teams, #6-seeded teams advance to the Super Bowl before. I just don't see Tampa Bay as possible there.

Check out the overall points scored/allowed:
  1. Green Bay +106
  2. Pittsburgh +70
  3. New Orleans +65
  4. Atlanta +64
  5. NY Jets +61
  6. Tennessee +59
  7. Philly +58
  8. Baltimore +55
  9. Indianapolis +52
  10. New England +47
  11. Chicago +45
  12. San Diego +42
  13. Kansas City +36
  14. NY Giants +33
  15. Oakland +15
  16. Tampa Bay +3
That's it for teams that have scored more than they've allowed on the season.

FYI the bottom 10 are:
  • Carolina -135
  • Arizona -104
  • Buffalo -63
  • San Francisco -59
  • Minnesota -54
  • Jacksonville -50
  • Denver -49
  • Seattle -48 (1st place in their division)
  • Cincinnati -47
  • Houston -43
  • Washington -43
  • Dallas -42