Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default In the spirit of Wade, Bosh and James....

What 6 Mega-Superstar former 1st rounders do you think could decide to all sign with one team after their rookie contracts are up?

Pre-requisites:
All 6 from the same draft class
All 6 under the age of 28
All 6 dynamic playmakers in their own right
All 6 take pay cuts in order to have money available to recruit and land more talent
Once the roster changes are complete, then picked as the Super Bowl favorite

Has this happened before?

What guys could this apply to in the near future?

Discuss.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Last edited by bullg8rdaddy : 11-23-2010 at 02:59 AM.
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In basketball there are 5 starters, in football there are 22. Three guys won't have anywhere near the same impact on an NFL team as an NBA team.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:11 AM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it could ever be quite as polarizing since football is much more a team sport. The closest thing would probably be the 2000 Redskins.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers signed Deion Sanders while having Jerry Rice, Steve Young and a whole bunch of other good players on the roster. That's an NFL signing that was kinda sorta similar
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only way I could see similar is if say Adrian Peterson and Andre Johnson were to join the Colts or something like that but even then it would be totally different. Basketball is a sport dominated and won by stars and the NFL is won by teams.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some draft classes to ponder: (I took the liberty to point out some combos, but it doesn't have to be QB/WR/RB. It could just be the most dynamic of that class' first round)

2003 - Carson Palmer, Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee

Let's use their 2008 seasons as their first season together, since two of them have seen their production dip.

2004 - Phillip Rivers, Larry Fitzgerald, Stephen Jackson

Use 2009 season as their first together.

2005 - Aaron Rogers, Roddy White, Ronnie Brown

Use this year.

2006 - Young/Cutler?, Santonio Holmes, Bush/Addai?

This year or next.

2007 - Megatron, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis/Joe Thomas?

Obviously some time in the near future for this to ever happen.

2008 - Matt Ryan, Chris Johnson, Jake Long?

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
In basketball there are 5 starters, in football there are 22. Three guys won't have anywhere near the same impact on an NFL team as an NBA team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
I don't think it could ever be quite as polarizing since football is much more a team sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Basketball is a sport dominated and won by stars and the NFL is won by teams.

Totally agree. Humor me, please. lol

Last edited by bullg8rdaddy : 11-23-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 AM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
The 49ers signed Deion Sanders while having Jerry Rice, Steve Young and a whole bunch of other good players on the roster. That's an NFL signing that was kinda sorta similar
I think he's referring directly to three rookies from the same class. Like if the falcons somehow acquired Jake Long and Jerod Mayo. The likelihood of this occurring the NFL is nil considering the criteria of the player (genuine franchise cornerstones aren't just let go) and also when you consider the power and prevalence of the Franchise tag.

Quote:
Totally agree. Humor me, please. lol
Clay Mathews Hakeem Nicks need to become buddies with Orakpo and all be skins. Ha ha

If such a thing were to occur, the most realistic thing to me would be guys who played in college together. Like guys from the U of M... a lot of former players there still go back and workout every offseason.

Last edited by McBain : 11-23-2010 at 02:32 AM.
McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more important thing is the entire FA process doesn't work the same, therefore scenarios like that cannot happen. Lebron James is probably the best player in the NBA right now, and he hit uncontested FA. Since when has a top 5, or 10 player in the NFL hit Free Agency before their 28 years old? Usually they are traded, franchised, something along those lines.

It's not like we could get an off-season with Brandon Marshall, Joe Flacco, and Chris Johnson all in the Free Agency for all 3 to sign with one team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:
I think he's referring directly to three rookies from the same class. Like if the falcons somehow acquired Jake Long and Jerod Mayo. The likelihood of this occurring the NFL is nil considering the criteria of the player (genuine franchise cornerstones aren't just let go) and also when you consider the Franchise tag.
Let's say that the players somehow were UFAs and the teams had already used their franchise tags, for the sake of discussion.

:)

Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
The more important thing is the entire FA process doesn't work the same, therefore scenarios like that cannot happen. Lebron James is probably the best player in the NBA right now, and he hit uncontested FA. Since when has a top 5, or 10 player in the NFL hit Free Agency before their 28 years old? Usually they are traded, franchised, something along those lines.

It's not like we could get an off-season with Brandon Marshall, Joe Flacco, and Chris Johnson all in the Free Agency for all 3 to sign with one team.
Okay, that answers my first question. Thank you.

Now for another question:

Which three 1st round studs from the same year would give a team the best chance at a title?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 AM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
Let's say that the players somehow were UFAs and the teams had already used their franchise tags, for the sake of discussion.

:)
Sorry man i'm not trying de-rail you here, i made an edit to that post.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:
I think he's referring directly to three rookies from the same class. Like if the falcons somehow acquired Jake Long and Jerod Mayo. The likelihood of this occurring the NFL is nil considering the criteria of the player (genuine franchise cornerstones aren't just let go) and also when you consider the power and prevalence of the Franchise tag.

Clay Mathews Hakeem Nicks need to become buddies with Orakpo and all be skins. Ha ha

If such a thing were to occur, the most realistic thing to me would be guys who played in college together. Like guys from the U of M... a lot of former players there still go back and workout every offseason.
That would be nasty for opposing QBs! Yikes! McNabb would love having Nicks. Would you consider them instant Super Bowl favorites? Would there be a ton of media hype surrounding this? Would ESPN have a Redskin's index on SportsCenter (lol)?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 AM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
That would be nasty for opposing QBs! Yikes! McNabb would love having Nicks. Would you consider them instant Super Bowl favorites? Would there be a ton of media hype surrounding this? Would ESPN have a Redskin's index on SportsCenter (lol)?
Even with those additions i think they would still need some help on the interior line. I think you'd need at least 5 players to make the same kind of impact. Bringing Mathews on to any 3-4 team would cause a ton of buzz... i don't think it would make them superbowl favorites but they would be playoff expectations.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Methinks I need to increase the 3 to possibly 6 from the same draft class (3 on O and 3 on D) to make this more interesting and have a somewhat similar impact as those 3 chuckle heads in Miami.

/Laker fan here. lol

Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to completely change the requirements, but I think a far more realistic possibility is a team signing a group of elite guys from the same position groups, such as DL, LB, DB, etc., or on offense just touching the skill positions with WR, TE, and RB headed to a team with an elite QB (the most likely position to play the "Dwayne Wade" role) already there. So looking at the position groups themselves and claiming the best group in the NFL, which could then lead to team success, rather than talking about an entire team and all positions being an option is the way I'd go.

Then again, this is probably what you're meaning and I just unnecessarily dissected it. :D

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith, Michael Oher, Alex Mack, and Andre Smith all sign with the Lions. Matt Stafford throws for 5000 yards, 70 TDs, and is not sacked all season. It is the first 16 game season of his career, though he is still listed on the injury report as Probable - Shoulder.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember Terrell Owens' free agency move to Philadelphia. That wasn't too dissimilar.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Not to completely change the requirements, but I think a far more realistic possibility is a team signing a group of elite guys from the same position groups, such as DL, LB, DB, etc., or on offense just touching the skill positions with WR, TE, and RB headed to a team with an elite QB (the most likely position to play the "Dwayne Wade" role) already there. So looking at the position groups themselves and claiming the best group in the NFL, which could then lead to team success, rather than talking about an entire team and all positions being an option is the way I'd go.

Then again, this is probably what you're meaning and I just unnecessarily dissected it. :D
This guy gets it. lol

Thanks. :)

Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're sticking with three from one draft class, I would go with: Oher, Mack and Loadholt. I don't quite know how the other OL picks have done, but these guys are decent to good players. Yeye, shore up over half of the OL = championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Remember Terrell Owens' free agency move to Philadelphia. That wasn't too dissimilar.
Don't forget we signed Jevon Kearse that same off-season. At the time both could have been argued as being the best at their position, and we already had guys like McNabb, who was considered a top 3 QB by most, and Brian Dawkins, who could also have been argued as the best at his position at the time. Not one, but both of those signings eventually proved to be busts, with T.O.'s attitude and Kearse immediately becoming pretty damn mediocre.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol, I completely forgot Kearse was even on the Eagles.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What the hell happened to Kearse? Did he get hurt early on? I can't remember.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote