Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coaches speak about Frank Zombo. ZOMBO!!!
Quotes from Capers & Greene.

Dom Capers:
“I’ve always felt the good defenses, you might have two or three guys that make a lot of plays, and you’ve got a lot of really good guys that are solid at what they do.
Zombo has been very consistent, plays the run well, fits where he’s supposed to fit. Personally for me, I’d rather have a guy that is disciplined and tough and consistent than a guy that is extremely talented and is a ‘sometimes’ guy where out of five plays, you might get one great play where everybody goes ‘wow’ and then two or three times he’s not where he’s supposed to be."

“Zombo is one of those guys in a 60-play game, there might be a few negative plays that show up. For example, last week we had a fire-zone with Woodson free, and they dump the ball off to Toby Gerhart, and Zombo misses the tackle, and they get the first down. Later in the game, he had almost the exact same play, and he got the guy down.”

Kevin Greene, reviewing game film vs Minnesota and behemoth LT Bryant Sugar Daddy McKinnie:
“Who’s kicking who’s (butt)?” Greene asks rhetorically. “Seriously, straight up. He’s changing the line of scrimmage on a guy who weighs 350 pounds and (went to the) Pro Bowl. This is David and Goliath. It’s Zombo kicking a big man’s (butt), if you ever want to see what a (butt) kicking looks like. McKinnie’s job is to hit him in the lips and blow him off the ball, move him off the line of scrimmage. Not the other way around. Whose feet are going back? McKinnie’s.”

With each highlight Greene showed, the former star outside linebacker, who is in his second season on the Packers’ coaching staff, became more excited. At various points, he’d just yell, “Zombo!”

“I think he can give us some pass rush,” Capers said. “He’s a physical guy. They’ve got as big a tackle as we’ve faced, and I saw him walk the tackle back into Favre, and Favre had to throw (off balance). With pass rush, it’s just as important for that quarterback to feel constant pressure into him than maybe a guy who’s running around the edge but four out of five times he’s pushed by the quarterback. A lot of these guys that come out of college, that’s what they’re doing. They run around the edge and get washed out.”

Back in the film room, Greene has more clips to show, but someone interrupts.

“OK, we’re almost done,” Greene said. “I want to show you one in particular. Watch this run. They try to run a delayed screen on Zombo. Guess what? Tackle for no gain.”
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:59 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else besides me and KG like just yelling out the name ZOMBO! ???

I thought it was just me until I heard/read Kevin Greene yelling that name.
What a name.

Matt Ryan, you've just been ZOMBONATED!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Anyone else besides me and KG like just yelling out the name ZOMBO! ???
Most definitely! It's like a combination of Zombie and Rambo, which are two of the most bad ass things in the world. Could you imagine a Zombie Rambo, tearing up Portland and eating Brian Dennehy's brains. I'm going to get a Zombo jersey at some point. When I feel relatively certain that he'll be sticking with us for awhile.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Last edited by senormysterioso : 11-27-2010 at 12:27 AM.
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
Most definitely! It's like a combination of Zombie and Rambo, which are two of the most bad ass things in the world. Could you imagine a Zombie Rambo, tearing up Portland and eating Brian Dennehy's brains. I'm going to get a Zombo jersey at some point. When I feel relatively certain that he'll be sticking with us for awhile.
Don't think that'll ever happen. Certainly not as a starter at least. I'd still take a healthy Brad Jones over him, and we should be drafting someone to start over both of them.

On a semi-related note, I saw a guy in a Havner jersey last week. As awesome as that is, I'm sure he had that before Havner was cut and luckily got to break it out again. Too risky to drop money for a jersey on those bottom end guys, especially since you have make it custom.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:35 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brad Jones didnt' really show much, and so far he seems to not be able to stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Zombo passes him up and stays ahead of him next season. Of course, the Pack should draft another OLB either way. I do like Zombo, though. Good story, as well as with Shields
Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post
Brad Jones didnt' really show much, and so far he seems to not be able to stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Zombo passes him up and stays ahead of him next season. Of course, the Pack should draft another OLB either way. I do like Zombo, though. Good story, as well as with Shields
I agree. Zombo has shown a lot more already than Jones did. I know Jones registered 4 sacks last year, but he played the OLB position at Colorado, and I thought he'd be better than he was..... and like you said, availability is key.

Coaches were frustrated by Jones early in camp this year, and he eventually was shut down for the whole season, not a good thing for a guy who never even played that much.

Zombo on the other hand has transitioned into a totally different position, and has shown a lot.... so much so that Kevin Greene was that excited about him he had to show the film and highlight ZOMBO!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Rodgers & Rivers make assault on NFL History Record Books

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2738

We really are fortunate to have #12. But as with Rivers, and Manning for his first 7 or 8 years, it takes a Super Bowl to catapault a really really good QB into that "great" level. Same with the teams. Damn I hope we can get a Super Bowl soon in Rodgers career here so then ALL the pressure is lifted and he can rack more up afterwards like a Montana, Aikman, and Brady.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Power Rankings Have Packers #1

http://packersinsider.com/?p=2742

Trent Dilfer is now impressed

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 11-27-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Link
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Don't think that'll ever happen. Certainly not as a starter at least. I'd still take a healthy Brad Jones over him, and we should be drafting someone to start over both of them.
I agree here. Jones is a much better natural fit to the position, as he played a simular role while at Colorado. Zombo is a descent but hasn't generated a sack since week 3 despite an increased role and numerous starting opportunites.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Pack_Attack_4
Rookie

Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.Pack_Attack_4 is so money.

we all have to remember that he is still rookie and hes playin a totally diffferent position than he did in college, sayin that Zombo has done a really nice job for us, i thought we might of been in trouble with all those injurys to the LBs but he has steaped it up. a few more sacks would be nice but our D is playin amazing 10 points in the last 3 games is solid.
Pack_Attack_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Green Bay Packers have 29 sacks this season, tied for fourth-most in the NFL, and are doing so despite sending four or fewer rushers on 68.9 percent of passing plays this season. Linebacker Clay Matthews has seven sacks when the Packers send fewer than five pass-rushers.

-ESPN

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:52 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
The Green Bay Packers have 29 sacks this season, tied for fourth-most in the NFL, and are doing so despite sending four or fewer rushers on 68.9 percent of passing plays this season. Linebacker Clay Matthews has seven sacks when the Packers send fewer than five pass-rushers.

-ESPN
I think Dom is saving some more exotic blitzes for games like this one, and New England.
We usually rush just 4 guys, but I expect some more Double-A-Gappers in the next few weeks, freeing Matthews up even more, but better than that: getting some guys free right up the gut like Bishop & Hawk.

Win this, go to 8-3, and then we have the 49ers & Lions, and 10-3 is a realistic possibilty.

Let's hope our opening week win over Philly proves to be the difference in who gets the #1 or #2 seed, because those spots are byes and just 1 win from the NFC Title game.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw a good pre game segment on the back shoulder throw featuring Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings today. Mike McCarthy runs a great offense IMO. He has a lot of cutting edge plays but mixes in the old school stuff well.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys find a good stream, PM it here.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

From Peter King of Sports Illustrated:

The Fine Fifteen

1. Atlanta (9-2). The Falcons are 4-0 in the last 22 days against teams with a combined record of 27-17. Matt Ryan and his teammates deserve this lofty perch -- especially with him playing like a latter-day Peyton Manning.
2. New England (9-2). Still a bit worried about its defense holding down a top offense, but less so after seeing the magnificent Devin McCourty besting Calvin Johnson Thursday in Detroit.
3. New York Jets (9-2). Rex Ryan's right. Marquee game of the year a week from tonight in Foxboro. The Jets won the first meeting, 28-14, back on Sept. 19.
4. Green Bay (7-4). Outgained Atlanta 418-294 in the Stats Are For Losers Dept. There's something about the Packers, though. I think they've got a heck of a shot to be back at the Georgia Dome for the NFC title game.
5. Chicago (8-3). I have no idea how that offensive line is going to hold up in December and January, but give Rod Marinelli and that D some credit for holding Mike Vick in check for 60 minutes better than anyone has this season.

MVP Watch

1. Tom Brady, QB, New England. Masterful in carving up the Lions Thursday, presumably before carving some fowl Thursday night in his Back Bay home.
2. Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego. I cannot argue with you one scintilla if you put Rivers over Brady. Numerically, it's a push, I'd say. Rivers has a 659-yard edge in passing yards. Brady is plus-19 in TD-to-INT ratio, Rivers plus-14. Brady's passer rating is 0.9 points higher, 105.8-104.9. Rivers has a big edge in the important yards-per-attempt stat, 8.94 to 7.59. Wins? Brady's three up.
3. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. Five straight wins, all with a rating of over 94.
4. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay. Pushes his teammate, Clay Matthews, out of the competition -- for now. Rodgers made some spectacularly cool plays in tense moment Sunday at Atlanta.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz16gsLdARW
Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Off-season Priorties:

#1- Replace Special Teams Coach: overhaul all coverage units
The fact that we all hold our breath every time we kickoff, or punt, tells you all you need to know about whatever system Slocum learned under Stock. It sucks. Or else are guys are soft and scared on special teams.

#2- Draft two left tackle prospects and hope one develops into the next Clifton. That is, unless they really think Bulaga is the LT of the future, and Lang the RT.

#3- Find a speed RB ala a Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Mike Goodson, Jerious Norwood......

#4- For once, get a special team return guy who only worries about taking punts and kicks back. Blackmon was good at that as the PR. We need both.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we really need that speed back; it wouldn't be a bad thing b/c of the big play potential but we need someone back there that we can trust on 3rd and 1 to get that first down...Grant is that guy when healthy and Bilal Powell is one guy in this year's draft that I feel could fill the role

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I don't think we really need that speed back; it wouldn't be a bad thing b/c of the big play potential but we need someone back there that we can trust on 3rd and 1 to get that first down...Grant is that guy when healthy and Bilal Powell is one guy in this year's draft that I feel could fill the role
Like you said we have Grant for that, plus Nance is showing signs that he might be a good short yardage back. I also don't know why the hell we never tried with Kuhn in that game.

What we don't have is a guy with speed. We try to run to the edges a couple times a game and it never works because Brandon Jackson is not fast enough to get there. Grant is a little better, but even for him it's not a good play. We need someone that can open up the edge for us. Also most times the smaller faster backs are good receivers, which would also be a big weapon for us considering all the other threats on our offense that the defense already has to worry about.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like you said we have Grant for that, plus Nance is showing signs that he might be a good short yardage back. I also don't know why the hell we never tried with Kuhn in that game.

What we don't have is a guy with speed. We try to run to the edges a couple times a game and it never works because Brandon Jackson is not fast enough to get there. Grant is a little better, but even for him it's not a good play. We need someone that can open up the edge for us. Also most times the smaller faster backs are good receivers, which would also be a big weapon for us considering all the other threats on our offense that the defense already has to worry about.
Yeah and adding a speed back could also help address our needs in special teams for a potential big play guy

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nance suffered a concussion on Sunday so its looking like Starks has a good chance of being active this week. Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Chris Johnson or David Martin for us.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

James Starks will get a chance to show what he's got.

I can't say I've ever seen him play live, which is pretty rare for a collegiate player.

I don't know if he's a guy who can hit a hole immediately (assuming there are any), or if he's a guy who can get around the edge.

The more I watch Jamaal Charles, the more I dream about us having that guy back there for Rodgers to run draws to, or to get going when the defense is focusing on stopping J-Mike and Jennings.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Chillar, Havner, and Lee all could go on IR after the injuries on Sunday. ************ this is ridiculous.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Chillar, Havner, and Lee all could go on IR after the injuries on Sunday. ************ this is ridiculous.
The Chillar one is pathetic.
I watched that one over & over with the DVR, showing to my mom how their kick returner got thru us, as usual, and Chillar and him met head on. For the tackle.
But Chillar came away holding his hand/arm.... and I said to my mom, watch, that will be a seemingly-innocent play where we lose him to IR, like so many others.

I mean when you see Sam Shields or Pat Lee run into anyone returning kicks, or Tramon returning punts, don't you expect our smaller, frailer return guy to be the one who gets hurt? Yes.

So why do our linebackers get hurt on 1-on-1 tackles of kick returners like that? If anyone still has it on DVR or TiVO, it happened early, I think after our FG.

I never even noticed Havner out there. Wonder if that happened on the opening kickoff.

Pat Lee, we all saw that one because Fox actually paid attention, unlike the Chillar one.

Our guys seem to be so soft physically. Shoulders all the time, hamstrings.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Well, Frank Gore is out for the season. Should make next week's win even more automatic. Beat the 49ers and Lions and then hopefully we only need one more win over the last three weeks to get in.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to comment on Zombo real quick. Personally, I like Zombs or Zombo Nation.

As mentioned in another thread, how likely do you think it may be that the Packers try to cash in on Matt Flynn this offseason considering the needs at QB around the league? I thought and still think as high as a 3rd.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote