Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
They have the second best third baseman in baseball, the best prospect in baseball (depending on how you feel about Trout though I suppose), and a guy who should be a top of the line pitcher when he's healthy in Strasburg. They will be ready to compete soon.
And they play in a division with the Phillies and Braves. They're still a while away.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
And they play in a division with the Phillies and Braves. They're still a while away.
The Phillies are ******* old.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Obviously isnt hurting them yet. They've won 4 straight division titles and make moves and throw money around like the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox these days. They're bound to be on top for a while longer.

Nats, while promising, are a perrenial 60ish game winner. I wouldnt expect a drastic turn around any time soon. They look great on paper damn near every year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

just saw the werth deal. Terrible contract. The Nats are going to be regretting that in 3 years. Don't get me wrong, Werth should put up superstar numbers for the first few years as he always performs well when there's zero pressure but the way he plays, his body is going to break down halfway through that deal.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Obviously isnt hurting them yet. They've won 4 straight division titles and make moves and throw money around like the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox these days. They're bound to be on top for a while longer.

Nats, while promising, are a perrenial 60ish game winner. I wouldnt expect a drastic turn around any time soon.
You just totally ignored what Brodeur said, lol? Yes, they were good, but they are aging. Teams do not stay on top forever, and the Howard albatross is about to wreak havoc on that team very soon.

Perennial 60ish game winner, yet Brodeur used specific examples about why they are on the rise and you just said "they are bad and will always be bad". We said the same thing about the Rays.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
You just totally ignored what Brodeur said, lol? Yes, they were good, but they are aging. Teams do not stay on top forever, and the Howard albatross is about to wreak havoc on that team very soon.

Perennial 60ish game winner, yet Brodeur used specific examples about why they are on the rise and you just said "they are bad and will always be bad". We said the same thing about the Rays.
Uh...The Nats look great on paper every year with their young talent. And I said, the Phillies throw money around and make bold moves, meaning...they're always going to have talent. They're not just going to get old and die off. They're an a position to stay atop the division for a long time. The Braves are financially strapped, the Marlins dont spend money, the Mets will have lots to spend next year, but I wouldnt bank on them doing anything of merit with it.

The Nats bandwagon is not one I would suggest anyone jump on. Contact me when they finally turn all of that talent into even a .500 team.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Uh...The Nats look great on paper every year with their young talent. And I said, the Phillies throw money around and make bold moves, meaning...they're always going to have talent. They're not just going to get old and die off. They're an a position to stay atop the division for a long time. The Braves are financially strapped, the Marlins dont spend money, the Mets will have lots to spend next year, but I wouldnt bank on them doing anything of merit with it.

The Nats bandwagon is not one I would suggest anyone jump on. Contact me when they finally turn all of that talent into even a .500 team.
They really don't look good on paper every year. I don't know what you are talking about. Hell they don't look good on paper. What Brodeur and what everyone else is saying is that over the span(more specifically the first half) of the 7 year contract Werth just signed the Nats will likely be contenders.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Phillies are going to be financially strung out in a few years when everybody is on the decline except for Cole Hamels, and they have a pretty weak farm system with all of their trades of late. I suppose if Dominic Brown turns out to be a star, they could keep things going but ehh....

The braves should be able to pass the Phillies very very soon, maybe in 2011 considering how absurd their pitching depth is. The Mets are finally being run better, but they're situation is still kind of a mess, and I can't really predict the Marlins because of how ******** their movies this offseason have been...

And now back to my point about the Nationals. They have a franchise cornerstone (Zimmerman), the best prospect in baseball (Harper) who has ******* ridiculous power and will alone start drawing fans to the stadium, an exceptional pitcher (Strasburg) and now have laid the seeds for free agents to start coming to the city. I think the Werth deal is absolutely insane, but it's something of a message to the rest of the MLB and the fans in DC that they are going to do what it takes to compete. If Strasburg remains healthy and Harper blows through the minors, I see no reason why they can't compete in 2012 or 2013, and Werth should still have something left in the tank at that point.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree with this but I think we'll still be on top of the division for the next two years, possibly longer. Gotta believe the Roys and Hamels will be good through the end of their deals, ditto for Polanco. I think Ruiz, Utley, and Victorino all have a good 4 years left in them at least and we'll probably sign Hamels and Halladay to three year extensions again if they continue to play well. We have good outfield prospects so I'm not too worried about the corner spots and we'll have tons of money coming off the books after next year between Ibanez, Rollins, Oswalt, and Lidge coming off the boosk and likely only Rollins being brought back and then all the other big deals start expiring year after year.

Howard's contract is going to look as bad a Werth's in a couple years and there is no succession plan for 3B but there's always another FA or trade possibility. I think it'll be tough for us to cut back the payroll now that we've tasted success as we can definitely afford it.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Grizzlegom : 12-05-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nats suck ****. And Ryan Zimmerman will soon lose the title of best 3B in baseball when David Wright takes back his proper place.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently these Greinke to the Blue Jays talks are somewhat legit. If we can lock up Greinke long term then I would be down.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Nats suck ****. And Ryan Zimmerman will soon lose the title of best 3B in baseball when David Wright takes back his proper place.
Zimmerman is better than Wright defensively by miles, and they're about equal offensively, so.............

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then Rendon will take Wright's place.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Zimmerman is better than Wright defensively by miles, and they're about equal offensively, so.............
David's about to go 2007 up in this ****.

And Sandy Alderson on the move:

Alderson on Werth's deal: "It makes some of our contracts look pretty good."

More Alderson on Werth: "I thought they were trying to reduce the deficit in Washington."

Awesome.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the move for Washington. It's overpaying for sure, but they had to make a splash and show they are serious. They tried to with Tex but he didn't want ot play there.

Also about Alderson. He has to realize he isn't the GM of Oakland anymore. He's going to have to spend eventually. The fans won't tolerate him trying to outsmart everyone on economic deals that just keep his team slightly above .500.

You have to spend money to make money. If they want more poeple to show up in Washington, they have to show they're serious.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I like the move for Washington. It's overpaying for sure, but they had to make a splash and show they are serious. They tried to with Tex but he didn't want ot play there.

Also about Alderson. He has to realize he isn't the GM of Oakland anymore. He's going to have to spend eventually. The fans won't tolerate him trying to outsmart everyone on economic deals that just keep his team slightly above .500.

You have to spend money to make money. If they want more poeple to show up in Washington, they have to show they're serious.

There's a major difference in spending and spending stupid. It's pretty clear that the Mets aren't the Yankees and have a cap in their spending. We are better off waiting for money to come off the books.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's a major difference in spending and spending stupid. It's pretty clear that the Mets aren't the Yankees and have a cap in their spending. We are better off waiting for money to come off the books.
I know they're up against their cap this year. But they have hinted that they don't plan to spend what will come off the payroll after next year. And if they don't, it will be a huge mistake.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I know their up against the cap this year. But they have hinted that they don't plan to spend what will come off the payroll after next year. And if they don't, it will be a huge mistake.

Well that's a very long time away. I'm more interested to see how active we are going to be in the trade market this winter/this year.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
The Phillies are going to be financially strung out in a few years when everybody is on the decline except for Cole Hamels, and they have a pretty weak farm system with all of their trades of late. I suppose if Dominic Brown turns out to be a star, they could keep things going but ehh....

The braves should be able to pass the Phillies very very soon, maybe in 2011 considering how absurd their pitching depth is. The Mets are finally being run better, but they're situation is still kind of a mess, and I can't really predict the Marlins because of how ******** their movies this offseason have been...

And now back to my point about the Nationals. They have a franchise cornerstone (Zimmerman), the best prospect in baseball (Harper) who has ******* ridiculous power and will alone start drawing fans to the stadium, an exceptional pitcher (Strasburg) and now have laid the seeds for free agents to start coming to the city. I think the Werth deal is absolutely insane, but it's something of a message to the rest of the MLB and the fans in DC that they are going to do what it takes to compete. If Strasburg remains healthy and Harper blows through the minors, I see no reason why they can't compete in 2012 or 2013, and Werth should still have something left in the tank at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
They really don't look good on paper every year. I don't know what you are talking about. Hell they don't look good on paper. What Brodeur and what everyone else is saying is that over the span(more specifically the first half) of the 7 year contract Werth just signed the Nats will likely be contenders.
I actually meant to put every other year or so. Nats have had a lot of young talent come and go on that team. They've built "talented" teams before.

Werth will never live out that 7 year contract and I doubt they'll ever have a winning season while he's there. They'll surely have some excellent stars in Strasburg, if he's healthy, Zimmerman, and Harper. But that doesnt equate to anything definite. They wont spend like the Phillies or Mets, and while they've had recent draft success...they havent exactly hit on their picks like the Rays did for years. Zimmerman's hit in formidable Nats lineups before, and they still sucked. So adding a Harper to the mix, doesnt mean they'll be winning divisions in a few years. The Nats have a lot of rebuilding to do yet, and in that division, it can be quite the uphill climb. There have been plenty of teams that have appeared to be up and comers and have done nothing. The Nats are promising...but if I'm putting my money on the Phils for the next 7 years or the Nats...I'm putting it on the Phils. The Phils are becoming the Yankees of the NL. They're going to remain competitive, year in and year out. Surely, the Nats will be good eventually...but that team has been an embarassment, regardless of talent, for a long time, so wariness should be completely understandable.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Apparently these Greinke to the Blue Jays talks are somewhat legit. If we can lock up Greinke long term then I would be down.
The Braves are listed as one of these teams that have inquired about him...but we dont have **** to offer. That said, a Royals raping will probably occur, regardless of the trade partner.

Also...I hope to hell we dont trade Jurrjens, his name has been brought up a lot recently. ugh.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Maybe from the Phillies. Not from the Braves.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Braves are pretty solid from top to bottom. The Nats arent even on my radar, as far as threats are concerned.

They need a lot of things to fall into place with that rotation. But hey, if Zimmerman and Lannan finally live up to their potential...that would go a long way.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 12-05-2010, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Braves are pretty solid from top to bottom. The Nats arent even on my radar, as far as threats are concerned.

They need a lot of things to fall into place with that rotation. But hey, if Zimmerman and Lannan finally live up to their potential...that would go a long way.
Zimmerman or Zimmermann? Ryan Zimmerman is pretty damn good already. Any team would be lucky to have him. The Braves lineup still isn't great. And we'll see if Hudson can be as good as he was last year. I don't think they can be consistently good as built now. And for the longe term Washington has just as much to work with to make a consistent winner as Atlanta.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Zimmerman or Zimmermann? Ryan Zimmerman is pretty damn good already. Any team would be lucky to have him. The Braves lineup still isn't great. And we'll see if Hudson can be as good as he was last year. I don't think they can be consistently good as built now. And for the longe term Washington has just as much to work with to make a consistent winner as Atlanta.
Woops, my bad...meant Jordan. Ryan's amazing.

I wont dispute their youthful talent...still remains to be seen, if they can actually be successful with it or not. They've tried to build a formidable lineup around Zimmerman, and they havent been any good, regardless. I'll hate on the Nats until they start showing real signs of life.

As for the Braves...I'd love to see more speed atop the lineup, but there is nothing wrong with the way they're built. Heyward and Freeman provide a substantial amount of potential. They have tremendous power out of the middle IF positions, Prado in Left secures that spot. Mccann is Mccann. Assuming JJ returns to form, we have great youthful talent in the rotation. Hanson, JJ, Minor. Medlen comes back next year. Teheran/Vizcanio waiting in the wings.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 12-05-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shaun Marcum to the Brewers.