Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

USC got totall screwed. Anyone who actually read the NCAA report knows that 99.999 percent of it was circumstantial. The Pac 10 constantly gets screwed, so nothing new really. I'm not even an SC fan, so I hate even saying that they were screwed, but they were. It's part of the reason why I don't even bother with college football as much these days. It's all about pro football as far as I'm concerned.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And here come the worms. Enes Kanter from Kentucky is using the verdict on Newton to seek immediate reinstatement. From the way it's worded, it seems impossible for the NCAA not to agree since they set the precedent.

From now on, in any NCAA sport, all you have to do is say "hey, our school and the kid didn't know about a violation." and unless the NCAA can prove otherwise you're in the clear. Boosters, don't worry about the shadows anymore; just walk up to parents at their jobs, hand them money, and you've got yourself a ballplayer with absolutely zero violation involving the kid or school. That's literally legal and clear sailing from the mouth of the NCAA.

I could go to the top football recruit in the nation's parents tomorrow with a camera crew, hand them $10,000 cash and say "here. Your kid is going to Wisconsin. Make it happen." and I could then send the video tape to the NCAA and the kid could go and play day 1 at Wisconsin and the parents got to keep the money AND still sit in the stands and watch him play. College players are now officially professional players. GG NCAA.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 12-03-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
USC got totall screwed. Anyone who actually read the NCAA report knows that 99.999 percent of it was circumstantial. The Pac 10 constantly gets screwed, so nothing new really. I'm not even an SC fan, so I hate even saying that they were screwed, but they were. It's part of the reason why I don't even bother with college football as much these days. It's all about pro football as far as I'm concerned.
Lol, that's such a crock. Have you read the reports yourself?

Quote:
Committee Rationale – Finding B-2-a – Representatives of the institution's athletics interests
NCAA Constitution Article 6-4-(d) defines a representative of the institution's athletics interest as one who "has assisted or is assisting in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes . . . " The committee concludes that the circumstances under which these internships were provided resulted in sports marketers A and B, in addition to their agency, becoming representatives of the institution's athletics interests. The committee based this conclusion on evidence that, in the summer of 2005, employment opportunities were created only for the institution's student-athletes and with the knowledge and assistance of the institution's athletics department staff members.
There was information in the record that the former head football coach encouraged sports marketer A to hire student-athletes as interns. A current NFLPA certified agent ("sports agent B") is the chairman of a sports agency and a colleague of sports marketer A. He reported that the former head football coach asked sports marketer A to consider hiring football student-athletes as interns in his agency. Sports agent B reported:
(Sports marketer A) was like, „yeah, here's (the former head football coach) and the year before, he, he's tryin' to get me to hire, you know, three players, you know.‟
...How many players, I don't even know, maybe he tried to get him to hire ten....but it was totally agreed upon between (the former head football coach) and (sports marketer A) that there was an internship program for that summer. That's all I do know.
At the hearing, the former head coach denied that he asked sports marketer A to hire football student-athletes as interns, although he acknowledged that he knew sports marketer A and that he (sports marketer A) had "something about his past the years before that had gone wrong . . . (and) it was related to the NFL.” [Note: At the hearing the institution's general counsel reported that, in 1995, sports marketer A had "pleaded guilty to mail fraud for defrauding the NFL."]
In the spring of 2005, sports marketer B contacted the associate director of athletics to determine if student-athletes would be interested in an internship with his (sports marketer B's) agency. [Note: sports marketer B and the associate director of athletics had been at another NCAA member institution at the same time and were acquainted with each other both there and subsequently in Los Angeles] The associate director of athletics confirmed that sports marketer B contacted him about employing student-athletes in paid internships at the agency. Ultimately, three student-athletes, including student-athlete 1, worked as interns at the agency in the summer of 2005.
The former director of compliance confirmed the associate director of athletics' account of how the internships came about and added:
. . . it was initially set up while I was there, and the talk was it was gonna be a continuing thing . . . to offer the opportunity to USC student-athletes.
Sports marketers A and B had previously been in partnership with another individual in a different agency. This individual stated that while the three were in partnership, there had never been any interns in their company.
It is permissible to hire student-athletes, as long as the circumstances under which they are hired, work and are paid comport with NCAA legislation. In this instance, the circumstances under which the three student-athletes, including student-athlete 1, were hired constituted a special arrangement made through the sports marketing agency and the institution's athletics department. Despite sports marketer B's claim to the contrary, there is no evidence that the internship positions provided to the USC student-athletes in the summer of 2005 were solicited externally. USC student-athletes and only USC student-athletes were hired for these positions. The circumstances surrounding the hiring of these student-athletes made sports marketers A and B, as well as their agency, representatives of the institution's athletics interests. This, in turn, gave rise to a heightened institutional responsibility to assess and monitor the employment situation and the relationship between student-athlete 1 and sports marketers A and B.
GTFO.

The assertion that USC had no idea who Michael Michaels and Lloyd Lake were or what they were doing is one of the biggest crocks I've ever heard, seeing as how the ******* school set up an internship program with their sports marketing company.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 12-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
And here come the worms. Enes Kanter from Kentucky is using the verdict on Newton to seek immediate reinstatement. From the way it's worded, it seems impossible for the NCAA not to agree since they set the precedent.

From now on, in any NCAA sport, all you have to do is say "hey, our school and the kid didn't know about a violation." and unless the NCAA can prove otherwise you're in the clear. Boosters, don't worry about the shadows anymore; just walk up to parents at their jobs, hand them money, and you've got yourself a ballplayer with absolutely zero violation involving the kid or school. That's literally legal and clear sailing from the mouth of the NCAA.

I could go to the top football recruit in the nation's parents tomorrow with a camera crew, hand them $10,000 cash and say "here. Your kid is going to Wisconsin. Make it happen." and I could then send the video tape to the NCAA and the kid could go and play day 1 at Wisconsin and the parents got to keep the money AND still sit in the stands and watch him play. College players are now officially professional players. GG NCAA.
Incorrect. Money can't exchange hands, plain and simple. If money exchanged hands from Auburn to Newton's father and the NCAA knew it, he would be ineligible.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Incorrect. Money can't exchange hands, plain and simple. If money exchanged hands from Auburn to Newton's father and the NCAA knew it, he would be ineligible.
shane is correct. The NCAA has said ZERO about anything Auburn has done at this point. Newton's father had a scheme in place at MSU, but obviously that fell apart when Cam switched it up and committed to Auburn instead.

My only contention at this point is how the NCAA won't make an inference that Cam KNEW or there was a better deal in place at Auburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:12 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is conspiring to commit an NCAA violation, an NCAA violation?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
That's true. But the NCAA is saying because Auburn didn't know and Cam didn't know, it's gravy. So if someone, with no official involvement with a school and without the school's knowledge, gives money to someone without the player's knowledge, the precedent now is that you suspend those two people from access to the school but the player and school are fine because they didn't know.

At least that's how I see it from all the statements. Unless the key is the no money thing, although I'm not sure how money changes the equation when they're saying it's perfectly a-okay since the University and the player, supposedly, had no idea any of this was going down.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Lol, that's such a crock. Have you read the reports yourself?
Yes, I did. I f'*** hate USC, so couldn't wait to get the dirt on them. I work in a fact-based profession and I can tell the report lacked any real proof, unless you consider a Romanian swimmer making $7,000 worth of long distance phone calls from a university phone justification for their sanctions.

Honestly, I don't mind if SC is mediocre for the next 10 years and I wish Kiffin nothing but the worst. Mike Garett's attitute and mouth probably made the sanctions twice as bad as they could have been. But the NCAA report against SC was basically bogus.

Did you read the report?

Last edited by mellojello : 12-04-2010 at 05:00 PM.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He used his SEC speed to get away from this one, but for real if he doesn't come out this year, all i have to say is damn

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkQ1f85kiME

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote