Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Really pleased they won that, I'd say that's the team's most impressive win of the year so far.
Play calling on Defense sucked though. 3 man rush down the stretch to leave Ben with all the time in the world was ridiculous.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Really pleased they won that, I'd say that's the team's most impressive win of the year so far.
There are some things about the win that concern me though.

1. Some time in the mid to late third, the Jets began to get the intermediate passing game going. And as quickly as they began, the Jets stopped throwing intermediate passes.

2. The prevent defense. "The Jets rush three" is not something I thought I would ever hear from a Rex Ryan defense. Ever. The mere sound of that has me nervous.

On the other hand....

Dropped passes were kept to a minimum. There may have been some, but I didn't see 'em.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

1. Some time in the mid to late third, the Jets began to get the intermediate passing game going. And as quickly as they began, the Jets stopped throwing intermediate passes.

2. The prevent defense. "The Jets rush three" is not something I thought I would ever hear from a Rex Ryan defense. Ever. The mere sound of that has me nervous.

On the other hand....

Dropped passes were kept to a minimum. There may have been some, but I didn't see 'em.
The offensive play calling, while overly conservative at times, was pretty damn good. The touchdown for Sanchez was a really good call as was the direct snap to LT. I think it definitely shows progress even if its not quite there.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

On the other hand....

1 would be the only criticism of Schotty I had today. Sanchez has shown that he is pretty good in the intermediate game. Definitely something we should look to use more in the future

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very happy with the win but we were so close of giving it away. The team is killing me this year.

Some thoughts-
- Sanchez was efficient. No turnovers and made enough throws for us to win.
- One of Braylons best games as a Jet. he made a few nice catches.
- Drew Coleman was all over the field today. 2 big sacks on Ben. Happy to see another DB step up.
- I'm happy we have Brad Smith.
- Rex's clock management is horrible (end of 1st half). This is not the only time he has messed up in these situationss and it won't be the lasy.
- Time for a new kicker. If Rex and co. doesn't have confidence in Folk kicking from 49 yards away, time to bring someone else in.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I didn't mean it in terms of a flawless victory. More like (and this is a weird comparison) if the Jets are an NCAA team looking for a tourney bid, this is the signature win. The Pats game as before they were the team they are now, and the Steelers are the only other team above .500 that the Jets have beaten. Plus, it was on the road.

Coaching in general worries me. Clock management both at the end of the half and throwing too many passes at the end of the game. I get the idea of going for the throat, but the QB of this team is a second year guy and they could've eaten up so much more clock. Particularly throwing it on second and 5 and then third and 5 inside Steelers territory. At least eat up clock and run it on second down, and see what happens. Almost bit them in the ass, too. Some really nice calls, some not so great ones, on both sides of the ball. Thought the Steelers were going to dink and dunk their way down, and Ben was able to do whatever he wanted against that three man rush for the most part. Next week's game should be interesting as well.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Another unsung hero is Steve Weatherford. He's had a solid year for the most part, but his two punts that he pinned deep in Steeler territory late in the game were huge. Granted it would've been better to just keep moving the chains and killing the clock but like Derza said we decided to throw on 2nd and 3rd down despite running the ball fairly well late in the game.

Btw am I the only one who thinks this team is much better suited to be that 5 or 6 seed who has to tough it out on the road through out the playoffs? The thought of us being the 1/2 seed and getting a bye scares me more than playing an extra game and being on the road in January, which is odd. We've done a great job of displaying throughout the year just how bad we are coming off of an extended break and we're clearly a better team on the road.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez' injury is worse than they thought and he is now a game time decision on Sunday. God help us if Mark Brunell has to take meaningful snaps.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Sanchez' injury is worse than they thought and he is now a game time decision on Sunday. God help us if Mark Brunell has to take meaningful snaps.
Honestly I'd rather it was Kellen Clemens getting the snaps than Brunell...Sanchez said he's playing Sunday but I'd imagine we could hit a point this season where he doesn't play a game. Don't know how much you can mess up torn cartilage further and what the long-term effects are, but I'd guess playing won't help things.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest, I would like next weeks game to mean something

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

The Jaguars lost so we're in.

As for the game, the defense was terrible but I have a lot more confidence in our offense now. The line played well and Shonn Greene ran hard.

Sanchez was great but if he puts some air underneath that last pass, we probably win the game.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
The Jaguars lost so we're in.

As for the game, the defense was terrible but I have a lot more confidence in our offense now.
I would like to know what the heck has happened to the defensive playcalling. Remember last year? Remember when the Jets blitzed all the freakin' time? Third and long with the game on the line and the Jets would blitz 7. That was why (and at this point, "was" is a more appropriate term than "is") I liked Rex Ryan's coaching style.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I'm not exactly thrilled with how things have been going. I don't really like the playcalling. At the same time, it appears that the lack of talented personnel is finally catching up to the defense. Safeties aren't that good, defensive line is thin and old, and the outside linebackers are more steady than dynamic. Hopefully it gets addressed in the draft, though I'm not sure which position I'd like to see them go after the most.

Nice to make the playoffs, though backing in is never fun. First round matchup should be an interesting game.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Revis, Mangold, and Brick are our pro bowlers. All are deserving so good for them. Smith was the only guy who may have gotten "snubbed" but oh well.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Productive game from McKnight...he actually ran pretty well. Granted it was Buffalo's run D, but he looked solid. Threw me off quite a bit. Nice for all of the backups to get on the field and make some plays, looks like the playoff game might be against Indy which would be interesting. A lot of the defensive re-tooling was done to be able to match up with teams like that, we may be able to see if it worked.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Watching Kellen scramble for a TD was the highlight of the season for me. I don't know why but I have a man crush on that guy.

And yes, McKnight played surprisingly well. Cole had 2 interceptions, Wilson played well, and we able to get after the QB. It was against Buffalo but it was all nice to see.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I was happy for KC too. He's never really complained too much, was supposed to have chances to start and never really got the option. Got killed that one season behind a not so great offensive line, played really well in spurts when he started...then this year they bring in another guy to be a backup. He's struck me as a good guy but was never really valued here, so cool to see him have some success.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

How does everyone feel about the game against the Colts? Honestly, I'm pretty optimistic. We're not going to stop manning so our offense needs to show up. The Colts defense is pretty beatable so we should be able to put some points on the board. *Prays Schotty puts together a decent gameplan*

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I definitely think that the offense has a chance to move the ball against Indy. That said, I'm definitely concerned about the defense. They won't be able to get away with blitzing Manning all game, and I'm not sure how much damage a 4 or 5 man rush will do. Should be an interesting one, I'd imagine relatively high scoring.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The big X factors personality wise to me for this game are:

a) Calvin Pace and his ability to provide pressure off the edge
b) Antonio Cromartie and if he can lock down Garcon
c) LaDainian Tomlinson and his strength against the bracket coverage

The Jets defense is incredibly weak up the middle and I'm sure that Tamme, White and Addai will do some damage. But in the end, I dont see that as nearly enough to drive up and down the field against the Jets. Cole and Pool has stepped up their game lately and Lowery gets more and more comfortable at safety. He has to get the majority of the snaps, not Erik Smith. If Revis and Cromartie show up and keep Wayne and Garcon in check, I just dont see enough on the Colts to really go crazy on our defense. Sure, Peyton will make plays and we will continue to struggle with underneath coverage but in the end I like our chances of atleast controlling the Colts offense.

Tomlinson has to be able to turn dumpoffs into solid gains, especially on early downs. The Colts will play their cover two and give Sanchez his checkdowns all day long. I also like our new offensive approach of exploiting matchups in the shorter passing game. There is no reason why Edwards and Holmes shouldnt be able to beat their guys off the line and contribute on slants and quick crossing routes. When the Colts start to jump those it's time to attack down the seam and down field. I expect Indy to sell out early against the run and that the Jets will struggle early getting the ground game going. That's not a problem though if Schottenheimer uses the short passing game to set up the run just like we did against Pittsburgh and Chicago. We cant end up in 2nd/3rd and long by just running it up the middle early.

Strategy wise I look for the following things from the Jets:

a) A great mix up on offense in terms of situational play calling. Lot of roll outs, neutralize the Colts speed, moving the pocket and timely attacks down the field with Edwards and Holmes.
b) Hopefully a lot more Shonn Greene than LT. He is the more bruising back and has looked much better recently.
c) Defensively I think we will blitz a lot less and try to confuse Manning by dropping more people, especially early on. We cant sell out all game long.
d) I hope for some serious wrinkles on defense. Bring Revis on a blitz, more standing up before the snap, maybe some Bart Scott off the edge... just stuff totally out of the ordinary. Our defense isnt good enough to just line up and dominate and we have to try some stuff.

All in all, I'm very confident. The Jets seem to be looking for revenge and for the Colts this game seems like business as usual. Now that can be both an advantage and a problem but Rex and the Jets have responded well in these situations the last two years. If the Jets can maintain that motivational edge, outphysical the Colts and really smash them in the mouth, than I love their chances against a struggling Indy team... GO JETS!
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Great write up man. I hope you stick around here.

I'll add Shonn Greene as another X factor. As you said later in the post, he is the bruiser and has looked much better than LT lately. If Greene gets going, the Jets will have success tonight.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Nice win. Not at all what I expected, but definitely glad they managed to pull it off. Defense much worse than the score indicated, Sanchez played well when it counted, happy with how well they ran it. Next week should be interesting.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good Game. Congrats and goodluck.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still upset about the loss, but congrats on the win. Regardless of what happens next, don't water down the win, and enjoy seeing your team for another week and maybe more.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Nice win. Not at all what I expected, but definitely glad they managed to pull it off. Defense much worse than the score indicated, Sanchez played well when it counted, happy with how well they ran it. Next week should be interesting.
Sanchez made a big throw on the last drive, but for the most part, even late in the game, he stunk up the joint with repeated comically overthrown passes.

I'm happy to see the Jets pull off the win though and the way they did it validates (at least in my mind) that the Jets very much could have won last year against the Colts if Shonn Greene hadn't gotten hurt before the half.

I'm also happy to see Revis Island back in full force.

Can someone tell me if that was Folk we heard yell YES!!! as the kick went through?