Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 12-31-2010, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNYDP View Post
If we go back to 4-3, then we need Fairley.

Dennard could be a nice late round pick for the Broncos if he declares/slips to later rounds.
Haggs is worth a look.
Dennard is sadly coming back for his senior year. I think he'd go on the first day. 3rd. Round. Is that even the first day anymore?

As for Hagg, he looked slow as hell, his steps were short and choppy, and all i remember from him was watching him getting toasted by a second rate slot receiver on a routine post route.

Last edited by Jimmy : 12-31-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, outside of Bowers, I think we should take a look at this DT McClain from USF the 4th or 5th. 310 LBS and looks really quick. Take a look if you happen to flip on the game.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Dennard is sadly coming back for his senior year. I think he'd go on the first day. 3rd. Round. Is that even the first day anymore?

As for Hagg, he looked slow as hell, his steps were short and choppy, and all i remember from him was watching him getting toasted by a second rate slot receiver on a routine post route.
Hagg has actually looked really good before last night though.
I'm pretty sure he is one of the reasons why Prince has looked as good as he is.
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
given how terrible we are on defense, i really don't want to trade away the only proven player that we can build around. seems too much like a lateral move
I really don't envision switching to a 4-3 being a problem for Doom. He posted something like (edit) 17 sacks as a senior at UL in a 4-3, and really showed promise in his rookie or second season and posted 10 sacks.

Last edited by Jimmy : 12-31-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And I didn't see if Mason Foster was too impressive, was he? Worth a look as a 4-3 MLB/3-4 ILB?
I like what I saw out of Mason Foster. He showed the ability to get off blocks against a good Nebraska OL.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:29 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really don't envision switching to a 4-3 being a problem for Doom. He posted something like (edit) 17 sacks as a senior at UL in a 4-3, and really showed promise in his rookie or second season and posted 10 sacks.
Yes, I don't get those who say he will have problems rushing the passer in a 4-3. He prefers pass rushing with his hand on the ground if anything. He had like 12 sacks, when used nearly exclusively on the third down, and that was with a terrible Broncos line.

I think the legitimate concern is his ability to stop the run. Though I think with a strong enough defensive line (really my key concern with the draft) it isn't a problem. We can always at least count on him to take up the blocker, he might not get off the blocker but if he can make the blocker stay on him, he is still taking away a gap, and is allowing the LBs to make plays.

I've never been more anxious for an offseason. I'm actually really excited. I guess that is what being on the bottom does for you. Can only look one way.
And I want to know what defense we are going to use so my posts don't have to stop being so long, and can be more pointed to a specific system/players.

Last edited by DBNYDP : 12-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Honestly, after watching Bowers today... Unimpressed. I Know there's more to him than I saw, you don't just become NCAA DPOY for no reason. But he really wasn't all that explosive, wasn't as fast as I expected. At this point, I want a sure thing with a top 5 pick. I'm sure Bowers will have a solid career, but I think we need an explosive player who can hit the corner and rush the passer using power AND speed. maybe I'm overthinking this, he did have at least a sack (although I had to miss an hour to drive my brother to the train station) and has posted 16-17 sacks this year so clearly he can rush, but I wonder if he will be able to do so at the next level as effectively.

Another user put it wisely when they stated that he probably will never put up crazy numbers, and that he lacked an elite first step that you'd expect out of someone who was a running back in high school. I could not agree more.

I really hope to see how he weighs/what his body fat is and how fares at the combine because he needs to prove it to me. I would pass on the kid seeing what I saw today.

PP or bust.

Last edited by Jimmy : 12-31-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

I just found out that the half sack he recorded wasn't given to him. He was held sackless.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

I wasn't really looking at Bowers this year. Just for the fact that if we go to 4-3, we better be getting Fairley. And if we go to 3-4, I'm worried about his ability to be a gamechanging 3-4 linemen with a top 5 pick.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Dareus is an *absolute stud*, if I may for a moment steal the asterisks for purposes of emphasis. After watching this game, it'd be hard for me to defend us not taking him, regardless of value. Maybe we trade down a few spots. Anyone who puts Fairley ahead of him after this game (barring a Suh like performance from Fairley in the National Championship Game) is out of their mind. Dareus played the entire game on a 3 man front at end, and absolutely dominated. I have no question this guy can play end in our system anymore. The only question that remains is related to character/motivation issues, and those are things that just might have to be ignored.

At this point, this is what our draft board/priority sheet should look like.

1. Marcel Dareus (trade down a few spots?)
-or-
2. Patrick Peterson (terrific value & the sexier pick, but we all know we just need to go DL, DL, Dl, MLB this year.

Last edited by Jimmy : 01-01-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

Quote:
Dareus is an *absolute stud*, if I may for a moment steal the asterisks for purposes of emphasis. After watching this game, it'd be hard for me to defend us not taking him, regardless of value. Maybe we trade down a few spots. Anyone who puts Fairley ahead of him after this game (barring a Suh like performance from Fairley in the National Championship Game) is out of their mind. Dareus played the entire game on a 3 man front at end, and absolutely dominated. I have no question this guy can play end in our system anymore. The only question that remains is related to character/motivation issues, and those are things that just might have to be ignored.

At this point, this is what our draft board/priority sheet should look like.

1. Marcel Dareus (trade down a few spots?)
-or-
2. Patrick Peterson (terrific value & the sexier pick, but we all know we just need to go DL, DL, Dl, MLB this year.
I don't know how getting Dareus would work.
Some scouts have him in the second at this point.
Also..how were Hightower/Jones?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't know how getting Dareus would work.
Some scouts have him in the second at this point.
Also..how were Hightower/Jones?
Julio was amazing, although his stats didn't show it. All 3 of his catches came on 1 drive I believe, had a 30 yard td run. Really as dominant as you can get when your team is running the ball over and over in a 49-7 whipping. As dominant as you can get physically for a WR.

Hightower got overshadowed by Dareus, Upshaw and Nico Johnson.

As for scouts having Dareus in the 2nd, I believe you, but I'm just curious... who in their right mind would have that guy anywhere out of their top 15? You could easily justify reaching for him at #2-5 at this point.

Last edited by Jimmy : 01-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, I've been saying for over a year now that Dareus is easily the most impressive player on that defense and should be a top pick.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I agree, I've been saying for over a year now that Dareus is easily the most impressive player on that defense and should be a top pick.
Rightly so, nobody really likes him right now because he didn't give a flying **** this season. He played his cards right and gave it his all his last game. In two weeks or so, (or whenever Kiper/McShay/Scott release their updated mocks) I guarantee you that the general consensus on this board will be that Dareus is a top 10 lock again, and I'd bet on 2:1 odds that he's a top 5 pick come April if he stays in shape and doesn't roll up to the Indy combine in a stolen Hummer.

edit: all of this, of course, assuming he declares

Last edited by Jimmy : 01-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
which is exactly why i don't want him anywhere near denver. let him go infect some other locker room.
In any event, I have no proof one way or the other that he was a lazy ****, I'm just going on what I've read. That's why I'd love to get a chance to interview the kid and really see what he's like. There's always a chance he's been so "bleh" simply because he's been injured, although that's just speculation as well. That's where the combine and personal interviews will come in handy.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

I meant Greg Jones :D
Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
I meant Greg Jones :D
Greg Jones was okay, certainly not all over the place like I expected early on, but he was flying around giving it his all despite MSU being down by 40. Not particularly amazing at getting into the backfield and stopping the ballcarried, but good enough.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 PM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone who puts Fairley ahead of him after this game (barring a Suh like performance from Fairley in the National Championship Game) is out of their mind.
You serious? Fairley was dominant all season. So Dareus finally showed up this year.. Count me as not impressed. I still think he will be a top-10 pick, but I don't get how this one game against an overrated Michigan State team makes him the best DL in the draft.

WELCOME REALITY
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
You serious? Fairley was dominant all season. So Dareus finally showed up this year.. Count me as not impressed. I still think he will be a top-10 pick, but I don't get how this one game against an overrated Michigan State team makes him the best DL in the draft.
To be honest (but not to make excuses) my guess would be that he got double teamed a lot more this year just because of his play last year. At his best (whether that means he was finally healthy, or whether it means he actually tried) he's a more talented prospect than Fairley, and in my humble opinion, that is completely undeniable. He's a game changer, and unlike Fairley, he's been playing at this high of a level since high school as well, which leads me to believe he isn't just a one year wonder.

It wasn't just the one game against an overrated Michigan State team, it was the fact that he literally tore through double teams like newspaper. It's the fact that he's done it multiple times earlier in his collegiate career. If Fairley had one more year of quality play, I'd definitely have a different opinion of him. It's a very neutral opinion I have at this point in time. Dareus has the higher ceiling, is bigger, and is more explosive. I really do think he will be one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league if he wants to be.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's a good pass rusher from a 4-man front. However, he's terrible at holding the point of attack as a DE in a traditional 4-3 scheme.

The 3-4 is a better fit overall for him, IMO.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mularkey to be interviewed.

Orton up for grabs for a second round pick.

Lots of change coming.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

Broncos are set to interview two head coaching candidates, Greg Williams and Perry Fewell, that use the 43 system. A telling sign of things to come?

WELCOME REALITY
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
what's sad is that i'm not actually sure that our defense is in any worse shape than it was when shanahan got canned. as much as i hate mcdaniels, i think shanny did far more damage to this team.
Shanahan destroyed the defense. No question about that. Terrible drafting, DC-as-scapegoat, constant scheme changes.... ugh.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCut View Post
Broncos are set to interview two head coaching candidates, Greg Williams and Perry Fewell, that use the 43 system. A telling sign of things to come?
The 4-3 is a better fit for our talent overall. 3-4 is better for Doom.

That being said, Williams and Fewell both know how to use pass rushers and bring pressure. I'm confident they'd both be able to find ways to use Doom effectively in their schemes.

Of the HC candidates mentioned so far, I like Williams the best. I remember the Redskins playing some good D under him, and he's done well with the Saints despite injuries and some questionable parts.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

I still think Doom needs another chance as an every down guy in a 4-3 with some talent around him, and good DC scheming with his weakness in mind.

I would like to point out...that Robert Ayers is a really good prospect at 4-3 DE. And you know the Giants took JPP last year, if Fewell comes in he might take a guy like...Allen Bailey from Miami. The guy is an animal, and if he is developed there he can be special. Plus he might be available in the 3rd at this point..
Something like Ayers/Fairley/Nevis or Veteran/Doom or Bailey and we would have a great starting 4.

Williams defense didn't have the best pieces last year but he still got it done. Very aggressive, and capitalizes on how the other offense needs to match our defense to create turnovers. I'd be happy with him/Fewell. I'm low on Nolan because of the fallout of our defense, and I'm also really high on Rivera, who can do both schemes.