Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want one of those guys who can move around the interior. I think we keep Mankins and I am comfortable with Connolly now, but we still need a center. Having a guy who offers some versatility would be very nice.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any red-bearded center prospects? Pretty much the #1 requirement to be a part of this team as an offensive lineman.

Does this count?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Any red-bearded center prospects? Pretty much the #1 requirement to be a part of this team as an offensive lineman.

Does this count?

Dat O'Dowd

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
kennyb
Rookie

kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kennyb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
How do you guys like OG David DeCastro from Standford? I just made a mock on another site where our two first rounds went like this:

Ryan Kerrigan
Michael Floyd
David DeCastro
Lee Ziemba

How does this look to you? I think DeCastro is a good fit for us, but I haven't seen enough of him. Does he has a real mean streak? I want offensive linemen who goes for the knockout on every play, but his talent is undeniable. I have this feeling that he'll declare if Luck does.
Centers and guards can be had much later. DeCastro, never heard of him as a guard or center. 2nd round pick, don't think so.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Positions selected with our first six selections: Hopefully

1-OLB
2-OT
3-DE
4-C
5-S
6-RB

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

first pick of the second has officially been clinched for the pats :)

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sleeper alert; Thomas Keiser declared. I really liked him last year with his hand on the ground, but he had an adjustment year playing LB in Stanford's new scheme. He also dealt with some injuries. At 6'5 244 pounds, he has the type of size we look for in a OLB. He actually lost a lot of weight to play LB this year and looked much better close to 260 last year. With a good program, he could get up to that weight by this time next year and hopefully stay in good shape and retain the quickness he gained by playing 15 pounds lighter. Defiantly a buy low type of guy who has familiarity with playing in an NFL style system and program. Smart, high character guy like most Stanford player too. Will likely be available in the 4th or 5th round, but could rise a bit with good offseason workouts and depending on how he looks in drills.

Also; looking at the center class, I'm not sure the guy we're looking for exists this year. The guy we need is pretty rare, actually. Given our emphasis on pulling, getting to the second level, and being light on your feet, I'm not sure there's anyone who can do all that and be a significant upgrade over Koppen in terms of dealing with NT's. Pouncey can do all that and be a strong interior presence, but his issues with snapping are well documented. Wisniewski is inconsistent with his initial punch and looks like he could be bull rushed a bit by bigger guys at the next level. O'Dowd is a guy I really like in terms of strength, but his injury history is something to be concerned about and he has some technical issues of his own.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-08-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Sleeper alert; Thomas Keiser declared. I really liked him last year with his hand on the ground, but he had an adjustment year playing LB in Stanford's new scheme. He also dealt with some injuries. At 6'5 244 pounds, he has the type of size we look for in a OLB. He actually lost a lot of weight to play LB this year and looked much better close to 260 last year. With a good program, he could get up to that weight by this time next year and hopefully stay in good shape and retain the quickness he gained by playing 15 pounds lighter. Defiantly a buy low type of guy who has familiarity with playing in an NFL style system and program. Smart, high character guy like most Stanford player too. Will likely be available in the 4th or 5th round, but could rise a bit with good offseason workouts and depending on how he looks in drills.

Also; looking at the center class, I'm not sure the guy we're looking for exists this year. The guy we need is pretty rare, actually. Given our emphasis on pulling, getting to the second level, and being light on your feet, I'm not sure there's anyone who can do all that and be a significant upgrade over Koppen in terms of dealing with NT's. Pouncey can do all that and be a strong interior presence, but his issues with snapping are well documented. Wisniewski is inconsistent with his initial punch and looks like he could be bull rushed a bit by bigger guys at the next level. O'Dowd is a guy I really like in terms of strength, but his injury history is something to be concerned about and he has some technical issues of his own.
Damn you EE, I just edited my sig! ****, I'm too lazy to do it again. I really like Keiser but I thought he was only a sophomore for some reason. Also, he looks bigger than 244 lbs to me. Maybe I confused with their LB Skov, who also looks like a good prospect. On the matter of the centers, I agree. But I'd still take Wisniewski over Koppen right now. I've been critical of Koppen since the 2008 season, and even though he's played fine this year I want a new center. But I'm ready to let BB break my heart as he does every april.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i honestly think Pouncey will be looked at very hard by the patriots. he has documented versatility, which is HUGE, on our line, and can play G or C.... Pouncey does do everything we ask for, and does it very well. Remember, he has only been playing C for a year, and his bad snapping can be fixed once he starts working with Dante. I think we are all overlooking Pouncey. If you ask me, hes a slam dunk, and its not just that im a Gators fan. Watch the PennSt-Florida game. He was dominant, and he looked like a Pats OL pancaking people and leading the way on screens.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I like Pouncey a lot....pending his ability to stick at center. He's a guy I could see gathering some late momentum in the post season.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Rodney Hudson can put on 15-20 lbs without losing his athleticism, pick 32/33 will be an easy one to predict: Rodney Hudson, OL, Florida State.

Hudson is the most technically sound OL to come out of college in years. If he had Mike Pouncey's body, he'd be a top 15 lock and it wouldn't blow me away to see him in the top 10. Sadly, he's had weight conditioning issues and some minor injury concerns, not to mention his relatively small build (6-2, 285).

He's an ideal ZBS G/C prospect who could easily replace any of our interior OL.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pouncey's shotgun abilities scare me. He needs to step his snapping ability if he wants to start
If Hudson shows up with more weight and still produces well at the combine drills, then I'd like him.
...but so will 31 other teams as well

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as Patriots fans won't want to hear it (if he puts on the weight and still performs the drills), he would be the 17th overall pick if he is available.

edit: He fits all of the Patriots requirements for a first round pick if he receives the first round grade (his size may hold him back). Pouncey is a work in progress at snapping the ball and he's not the best pass protector. He will likely receive a late first round grade or a 2nd round one.

Last edited by descendency : 01-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Who? Hudson or Pouncey? Because both of those would be significant reaches.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Who? Hudson or Pouncey? Because both of those would be significant reaches.
Hudson with some extra weight.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I think the question to ask every time is if he's truly better than Koppen. We shouldn't be looking for a similar player who is younger, but someone who can handle the large NT's who currently dominate the AFC East. I know Hudson gets fantastic leverage and is strong for his size. Heck, I'm even confident he can get up to 290+ before the draft...but can he stick in the AFC East? I'm not sure. The value at 17 is pretty horrible too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I give in. **** OLB, we need a DE. **** my life...

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I give in. **** OLB, we need a DE. **** my life...
Yep we need some depth on line, DE is a huge need. I bet Mankins walks still as well after this game which leaves some O-line issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think of Marcus Cannon in the first?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
There are better players at that position for the system.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think when you lose it seems like there are holes all over the place. I personally would like to see upgrades at WR and OLB where guys just arent fooling anyone when you get down to the last handful of teams in the playoffs. It wouldnt kill me to see some combination of these guys out of the draft:

Heyward
Jordan
Watt
Von miller
Herzlich
Baldwin
Odowd
Cannon
Carimi
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Doesn't fit as a T or a G in our system.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-17-2011, 02:08 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Patriots positions that will be open competitions as of now:
WR 1 - The basic reason the Jets did what they did on defense is because the Patriots lack that big play-making threat on offense. It's not just about being able to get deep. It's about being able to get open at will. It's about forcing the coverage into a zone scheme. It's about being able to get a first down just about any time you want. The Patriots lost this when Randy Moss decided to leave (in 2009. . . )

LT - Sebastian Vollmer is a better tackle than Matt Light and it's painfully obvious.

LG - if Mankins doesn't stay

C - Dan Koppen is responsible for a large amount of the pressure that got to Brady.

RG - Dan Connolly is a backup (like I was saying in mid-season after he was playing so badly at LG)

RT - When (hopefully) Vollmer moves to LT, someone will have to take this spot.

DE (Ty Warren will likely win one of them) - Ron Brace, Gerard Warren, Brandon Deaderick, and everyone else that played "30" front 34 DE this year do not belong starting on a team this talented. The line was an abortion at times. They failed to control the LOS regularly. They are the bulk of the reason the Patriots run defense isn't one of the top 5 in the NFL. The cut-back lanes they leave open are wide enough for an 18 wheeler to drive through. This is easily one of the top 2 needs on this team.

UT (nickel packages) - This team can't rush the passer for ****. The fact they lead the NFL in interceptions is purely the result of outstanding CB play from McCourty and some good safety play from Chung (albeit some lucky play, but being in the right position helps... cough Meriweather cough).

OLB - This couldn't be more painful obvious how bad this group is. They can't get to the QB. They can't hold the edge. The only thing they do right is backside pressure.

CB 2 - Does anyone think that there is a chance that Leigh Bodden doesn't play in 2011 either? He's an injury concern. Kyle Arrington hasn't exactly blown anyone away either.

CB 3 - I think Devin McCourty is what every Patriots fan thought Darius Butler was going to be. Too bad he's going to be competing for a roster spot next year. With 3 CBs already better than him and my huge lobbying to bring in a 4th and maybe even draft a 5th... can we seriously believe he won't be needing to step his game up big time?

S - Brandon Meriweather's days are numbered. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but he probably leads the league in busted coverages and bad angles to the ball carrier.

FB - Sammy Morris is a solid player, but I just don't think his tank has much left. I'm a huge proponent of drafting a guy like Owen Marecic or Stanley Havili.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

So basically we're ****** outside of Brady.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
So basically we're ****** outside of Brady.
This team is loaded with possibilities right now (Because of the 3 top 33 picks) and great "cap space", I think that opens up more opportunities to make changes.

That said, we have played really bad at some of those positions and it's been the games we've lost.