Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Texas gets own network

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6037857

This seems like pretty big news to me.

Quote:
ESPN will help develop, launch and operate the network, according to a news release. The deal is worth $300 million over 20 years. The network will launch in September.
Quote:
Included in the coverage will be at least one exclusive football game, eight men's basketball games, women's basketball coverage of games not televised elsewhere, and Olympic sports coverage. There will also be pregame and postgame shows for football and basketball games, coaches' shows for every sport Texas sponsors and other daily programming.
In addition, there will be university news, coverage of lectures and visiting speakers along with commencement ceremonies, and even high school coverage on an authenticated online/broadband site.
"This is an extremely exciting

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas is the one school I trully believe it would make sense for them to be independent. With this announcement, how long before it's official that they are going independent?
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like a 5-win season in '10 deserves it....... :--( Hell. maybe it's actually true, all you need is a fanbase of millions & a budget of gazillions.

They have the most bloated athletic dept. budget, the most overrated HC & the worst performance track rcd. to support thier own network among all the top tier programs now.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This weeks sign of the apocalypse....

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
jtice2003
Rookie

jtice2003 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I am a diehard longhorns fan so ill try and be timid about this.

Not saying they deserve a 20 year-$300 million deal but, you look at a team like notre dame who NBC pays a ton of money to, they have been in rebuilding mode for 10+ years. I don't even remember the last time that they went to a significant big bowl game (if they did, did they win it?).

My point is, don't judge a book by its cover, sure texas had a bad season but, every team goes through it every now and then. i mean look at the big team of the 00's, USC. they are very much so in a "rebuilding" mode, and not just because of the athletes they field either, it happens everywhere. I still think the longhorns 2 BCS title game appearances are more then 100+ other FCS schools.
jtice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice2003 View Post
I am a diehard longhorns fan so ill try and be timid about this.

Not saying they deserve a 20 year-$300 million deal but, you look at a team like notre dame who NBC pays a ton of money to, they have been in rebuilding mode for 10+ years. I don't even remember the last time that they went to a significant big bowl game (if they did, did they win it?).

My point is, don't judge a book by its cover, sure texas had a bad season but, every team goes through it every now and then. i mean look at the big team of the 00's, USC. they are very much so in a "rebuilding" mode, and not just because of the athletes they field either, it happens everywhere. I still think the longhorns 2 BCS title game appearances are more then 100+ other FCS schools.
UT is sitting pretty. Crap conference with only one other good team and a few decent ones. Now no championship game. And a fat TV deal.

Now only if they could get some real coaches on the football team.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Like a 5-win season in '10 deserves it....... :--( Hell. maybe it's actually true, all you need is a fanbase of millions & a budget of gazillions.

They have the most bloated athletic dept. budget, the most overrated HC & the worst performance track rcd. to support thier own network among all the top tier programs now.
Texas coming off their first losing season in forever in football (EDIT: they have 105 winning seasons in 118 years), has a very successful and recognizable baseball program, and is one of if not the top athletic program in terms of generating revenue.

Yea, no way they could support their own network.....

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 01-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Texas coming off their first losing season in forever in football (EDIT: they have 105 winning seasons in 118 years), has a very successful and recognizable baseball program, and is one of if not the top athletic program in terms of generating revenue.

Yea, no way they could support their own network.....
Totally agree. Texas' athletics are a joke. It's not like seemingly all of their teams are ranked highly every year or anything or their program turns in the highest profit annually.

I think Lizard just posts dumb things to stir the pot sometimes.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's actually a sad thing for college football. Another case of the rich getting richer.

If I was Oklahoma, I'd be furious right now. In fact, I'd move to the Big East. Screw the Big 12, screw Texas. Take the easy route to the BCS Bowl by dominating the Big East every year. Don't get confused. TCU is a flash in the pan. OU would DOMINATE the Big East....and it would be great for their basketball program too. Colorado and Nebraska are gone. Without OU too, the Big 12 and Texas would be a weak ass conference. Even with all their wins, nobody would credit Texas with having a strong strength of schedule in that conference.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's actually a sad thing for college football. Another case of the rich getting richer.

If I was Oklahoma, I'd be furious right now. In fact, I'd move to the Big East. Screw the Big 12, screw Texas. Take the easy route to the BCS Bowl by dominating the Big East every year.
Okay, I'm not sure why people think that the only college sport played is college football, but an Oklahoma move to the Big East would be ******* moronic. Let's repeat- there are other sports besides college football. All that traveling is ******* stupid. It's ******* stupid for TCU and it's ******* stupid for Oklahoma.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texas couldn't care less about the Big 12. If the Big 12 folded they could easily be an independent with the revenue they'll have coming in now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

If I was Oklahoma, I'd be furious right now. In fact, I'd move to the Big East. Screw the Big 12, screw Texas. Take the easy route to the BCS Bowl by dominating the Big East every year. Don't get confused. TCU is a flash in the pan. OU would DOMINATE the Big East....and it would be great for their basketball program too. Colorado and Nebraska are gone. Without OU too, the Big 12 and Texas would be a weak ass conference. Even with all their wins, nobody would credit Texas with having a strong strength of schedule in that conference.
Of course they will be pissed. I think that we are entering a very unstable period in CFB. The end game likely being four superconferences and a playoff system. But the period between now and when we get there is going to get ugly at times.

For example, there is a lot of talk about the B1G and the Pac12 joining forces on a TV deal. Think Pac12 network and the B1G network demanding to be standard like ESPN. If they add in the Big12/UT, then they would really have some clout.

This is something that ESPN is very scared of and will do anything to stop. I know that getting UT is a huge win for them in that scenario, but anything could happen.

Regardless, there will be a lot of drama as conferences and schools battle it out for TV revenue.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Okay, I'm not sure why people think that the only college sport played is college football, but an Oklahoma move to the Big East would be ******* moronic. Let's repeat- there are other sports besides college football. All that traveling is ******* stupid. It's ******* stupid for TCU and it's ******* stupid for Oklahoma.
I only ask out of curiosity, but if the Big East gained another team like...Houston (just an example) couldn't they conceivably have a southern division and northern to keep traveling to a minimum? Houston, Louisville, USF, WVU, TCU, Oklahoma.

Or does it still make things difficult for other sports like basketball, swimming, track, etc?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I only ask out of curiosity, but if the Big East gained another team like...Houston (just an example) couldn't they conceivably have a southern division and northern to keep traveling to a minimum? Houston, Louisville, USF, WVU, TCU, Oklahoma.

Or does it still make things difficult for other sports like basketball, swimming, track, etc?
It still makes it a lot of traveling for nothing. It's not like it's a super conference for all sports. WVU and Houston aren't exactly next door.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you mean all those hours of unaired softball games will be shown!?!?!

**** YES! This is about as important as the turd my dog just laid outside.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Texas couldn't care less about the Big 12. If the Big 12 folded they could easily be an independent with the revenue they'll have coming in now.
That or jump to any conference they wanted.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Now who's being sarcastic?

My point was that usually WINNING teams are rewarded with their own networks, as ND was with NBC a few yrs. back. Now that the Golden Domers are at best mediocre you don't see networks signing or re-signing them up.

Perhaps if you'd lived in Texas most of life like I have or like Brent does & seen firsthand the unbelievable knobslobber media attention given by every outlet to the iconic, infallible, & godlike Texas program you would have a negative reaction to it as well. I'll cheerfully stir that pot anytime. No school gets a sore arm from patting itself on the back quite like Texas.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:

My point was that usually WINNING teams are rewarded with their own networks, as ND was with NBC a few yrs. back. Now that the Golden Domers are at best mediocre you don't see networks signing or re-signing them up.

Perhaps if you'd lived in Texas most of life like I have or like Brent does & seen firsthand the unbelievable knobslobber media attention given by every outlet to the iconic, infallible, & godlike Texas program you would have a negative reaction to it as well. I'll cheerfully stir that pot anytime. No school gets a sore arm from patting itself on the back quite like Texas.
I would consider 13 losing seasons in 118 years might constitute as a winning program, not to mention the accomplishments and visibility of their athletics outside of football.

Cherry picking their first losing season in 13 years as why they don't deserve their own network because "winning teams are rewarded with their own network" is not a good argument.

And yea, I don't get exposed to Texas and the Texas media slobbing all over them, but just because that annoys you or you dislike their program doesn't take away from the fact that they are one of if not the most profitable athletic program in the entire country, and are pretty good at more than just football.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:41 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I would consider 13 losing seasons in 118 years might constitute as a winning program, not to mention the accomplishments and visibility of their athletics outside of football.

Cherry picking their first losing season in 13 years as why they don't deserve their own network because "winning teams are rewarded with their own network" is not a good argument.

And yea, I don't get exposed to Texas and the Texas media slobbing all over them, but just because that annoys you or you dislike their program doesn't take away from the fact that they are one of if not the most profitable athletic program in the entire country, and are pretty good at more than just football.
This pretty much sums it up. While I didn't like seeing UT suck, I did like getting the Horn fans to **** about OSU. It is true that Texas fans are in their own little reality bubble.

Many of them think the school is on par with an Ivy League education. They also think their football team is untouchable. Which is why it's good for fans of all schools and sports programs to get their inflated worldviews rocked a bit from time to time.

UT is a great and profitable sports program. It's also a good school. Do think that they shouldn't work out this deal because of one losing season in football is a joke.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha and now Oklahoma wants to start its own network too. What fun.

#2 Duke Blue Devils (6-0)
2010 National Champions!!
2014 Coaches vs Cancer Champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
Haha and now Oklahoma wants to start its own network too. What fun.
Oklahoma's network wouldn't make 10 percent of what UT's would.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:

So you're taking one bad year and using it to justify why Texas shouldn't get its own network? That's right up your alley in terms of logic.

Quote:
And no school makes as much annually as Texas does, either. So yeah, it would make sense that the school that brings in the most cash would get its own network as they're patting themselves on the back with $100 bills.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

No I'm saying Texas is too arrogant to deserve its own network. Reading comprehension, pay attention.

Actually in terms of total athletic dept. budget size Texas & Stanford have been alternating nos. 1 & 2 through most of the last couple of decades.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
No I'm saying Texas is too arrogant to deserve its own network. Reading comprehension, pay attention.
Arrogance has nothing to do with it besides you saying, "hey look everyone, I'm from Texas and I don't like UT". If they can bring in the money, no one really cares about their arrogance.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

My point was that usually WINNING teams are rewarded with their own networks
So now Texas is a losing program because of 1 down season? Really, we want to grade this off of 1 season? I know it's obvious you hate Texas and have to live here but at least be realistic.

Who at Texas is too arrogant? A few friends that come over your house for parties that are Texas fans? "Texas" is a very vague word and you toss it around like there's something substantial there other then you throwing a hissy fit for no reason. You could have taken a small jab and moved on but you sound mad, and then have to make up reasons to talk ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote