Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Let's talk about Doug Free

Free, Free... Free.

Let me just say that I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me when I say what I'm about to say... but that's what I have always loved doing anyways... Out of the box thinking.

In the past I have lightly touched upon the topic of Free going back to Right Tackle. Then after the season, I mentioned that I think he's the final solution for us at Left Tackle and that his early season struggles were just a part of his transition to the left and getting comfortable there. So you could say, I've been waffling on my stance. RT? LT? which?

Well I read something interesting that made me think that Free is best suited to be our future RT, and now... I think... I'm convinced.

In run blocking Free was statistically, the TOP #1 run blocker in the league. In pass blocking he was 15th allowing our QB to get knocked to the ground 12 times this past season.

Free may be a new starter to our OL, but he's no young buck. He's already 28 years old. He's not gonna give us a decade worth's of work at the position, like you would say about a Top OL draft pick coming into the league at 22 or 23 years old.

RT is typically not a position you want to draft high. Especially at the 9th pick. However, LT would be... and it would be a smart choice assuming you don't draft a bust.

These things considered, I just wouldn't put it out of the realm of reason to move Free back to RT. I think his dominance in the run game would be well utilized. I think his pass protection deficiencies would be subdued, with the QB facing his direction instead of having him on the blind side. I think we would get the most out of him at RT AND that it would benefit our team the most.

However, we can't do that without a proper replacement for him at LT. It seems to me that most people are in agreement that we need a replacement for Columbo at RT immediately. But where most get confused is where that replacement will come from. I think it should be Free. I think others are thinking the draft.. and a very few might be looking at FA... even less than that looking at trade.

If we think out of the box for a moment and look at the big picture of things... the long term future of the team... and combine Free's strength's, weaknesses and age, then the smart decision is to move him to the right and look aggressively for a LT solution.

Your thoughts?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I don't understand why you you want to do all of this positional switching/fixing things that aren't broken.

Free is our LT of the future and is fine there. There are no dominant LT's in this draft so an upgrade over him isn't really an option over him anyway.

I'd Love Carimi or Costanzo at RT any day of the week. I wouldn't them on the left and free on the right.

But Free is fine at left tackle and I'd leave him there if I could. Also, Jerry said they intend to leave him there.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a disservice to Free if we only judge his performance based off of one year starting at LT. While I'm a man of the numbers, I still feel you have to give him one more year. With saying that, I'm not opposed to drafting a potential LT in the early rounds of this years draft. You cannot have too many good OL on your roster.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I don't understand why you you want to do all of this positional switching/fixing things that aren't broken.

Free is our LT of the future and is fine there. There are no dominant LT's in this draft so an upgrade over him isn't really an option over him anyway.

I'd Love Carimi or Costanzo at RT any day of the week. I wouldn't them on the left and free on the right.

But Free is fine at left tackle and I'd leave him there if I could. Also, Jerry said they intend to leave him there.
I'm saying this now, because I think in the future we will continue to see Free struggle in the same area and people will THEN bring up the topic of moving Free to the right where he was the most successful in '09.

I'm just beating everyone to the punch, like doooooo. ;)

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think it's a disservice to Free if we only judge his performance based off of one year starting at LT. While I'm a man of the numbers, I still feel you have to give him one more year. With saying that, I'm not opposed to drafting a potential LT in the early rounds of this years draft. You cannot have too many good OL on your roster.
Yeah, that's looking at it from OUR (fans) point of view. However, I think the staff should be more knowledgeable about him based on practices and him being here SINCE 2007!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for your point about the QB getting tackled x-amount of times i've always thought that lousy QBs get sacked more than good QBs.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
As for your point about the QB getting tackled x-amount of times i've always thought that lousy QBs get sacked more than good QBs.
Well, then you would be mistaken, because that's not totally true. It's only part of the equation. Many good QBs get hammered and not because they are lousy.

Jay Cutler got hit the most this past year (56 sacks/92 hits) and I think it would be incorrect to call him lousy or immobile. That's just one example. I could go on about other QBs who get hit a lot, like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb, Flacco, Favre, etc.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Toby Flenderson
Rookie

Toby Flenderson is a cocksman.Toby Flenderson is a cocksman.Toby Flenderson is a cocksman.

I don't see any reason on earth to move Free from his LT spot (where he is more physically suited than at RT) The only reason I could possibly understand moving him is if we make a serious run at Jared Gaither. And given his injury history, I'm not sure that would be a great idea either.

It is certainly outside the box thinking, I'll give you that much.
Toby Flenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Flenderson View Post
I don't see any reason on earth to move Free from his LT spot (where he is more physically suited than at RT) The only reason I could possibly understand moving him is if we make a serious run at Jared Gaither. And given his injury history, I'm not sure that would be a great idea either.

It is certainly outside the box thinking, I'll give you that much.
I admit, it's unconventional. Sometimes I type... just food for thought. Things that are on my mind. Forums provide the best outlet for that kind of thinking.

Sooo... who are you? I've seen your posts... and well... they are weird.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Well, then you would be mistaken, because that's not totally true. It's only part of the equation. Many good QBs get hammered and not because they are lousy.

Jay Cutler got hit the most this past year (56 sacks/92 hits) and I think it would be incorrect to call him lousy or immobile. That's just one example. I could go on about other QBs who get hit a lot, like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb, Flacco, Favre, etc.
I don't think "lousy" qbs get hit more often, but look at the QBs you listed. They have shoddy offensive lines (save for Flacco) and they're known for holding on to the ball way too long. Ben and Rodgers are notorious for holding the ball longer than they should, same for Favre. Romo is one of the best in the league at getting rid of the ball, so i think he will make the offensive line look better. I think Free should stay at LT, i want OL picks in the middle rounds and some band-aids through FA.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Toby Flenderson
Rookie

Toby Flenderson is a cocksman.Toby Flenderson is a cocksman.Toby Flenderson is a cocksman.

Quote:
I admit, it's unconventional. Sometimes I type... just food for thought. Things that are on my mind. Forums provide the best outlet for that kind of thinking.

Sooo... who are you? I've seen your posts... and well... they are weird.
Eh, no need to defend your opinions, I tend to do much of the same, but I don't post them. I'm pretty much no one, but love me some football. Lurked about these boards for some time. Since Keak Da Sneak was all over MJD out of UCLA. He was definitely right on that one.

My posts ARE weird, but I guess I'm a little weird myself.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well welcome aboard, Toby Flenderson.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Eh, no need to defend your opinions, I tend to do much of the same, but I don't post them. I'm pretty much no one, but love me some football. Lurked about these boards for some time. Since Keak Da Sneak was all over MJD out of UCLA. He was definitely right on that one.

My posts ARE weird, but I guess I'm a little weird myself.
Nah, I meant I didn't get the feeling that you were a new poster based on your posts. I was thinking you were a previous poster. What is your old username?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Toby Flenderson
Rookie

Quote:
Nah, I meant I didn't get the feeling that you were a new poster based on your posts. I was thinking you were a previous poster. What is your old username?
Thank Finisher.

I USED to be JONH4443, but I didn't use that almost at all either. I think, total, I've posted maybe 15-20 times.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Toby's with HR, so he's not really a part of our family here.

Also, he's divorced, so he's not really a part of his family, either.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:48 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Toby's with HR, so he's not really a part of our family here.

Also, he's divorced, so he's not really a part of his family, either.
Who is HR?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D-Unit, I like your trend of thought on this issue. Before the Senior Bowl I was thinking there was a possibility we could have gotten Gabe Carimi in the second round. I thought he would be able to fit in immediately on our right side if we chose to move on from Columbo. I think Carimi could play left tackle in this league, but have those guys as bookends would solidify our tackles for several years to come, even if its only 5-7 years, that better than its been!
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who is HR?
Human Resources
Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Toby Flenderson
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
D-Unit, I like your trend of thought on this issue. Before the Senior Bowl I was thinking there was a possibility we could have gotten Gabe Carimi in the second round. I thought he would be able to fit in immediately on our right side if we chose to move on from Columbo. I think Carimi could play left tackle in this league, but have those guys as bookends would solidify our tackles for several years to come, even if its only 5-7 years, that better than its been!
I don't think there is much of a chance of Carimi being there at our second pick. He will probably go much higher than expected after a very nice showing at the Senior Bowl. I am very much torn between him and Cam Jordan.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think there is much of a chance of Carimi being there at our second pick. He will probably go much higher than expected after a very nice showing at the Senior Bowl. I am very much torn between him and Cam Jordan.
IMO Cam Jordan is worth our #9 overall pick, but I think we could possible trade back some and still take either guy. There is still quite a bit to look at before we can make that determination, but both of those guys are 15-25 pick guys, IMHO.

Carimi has definitely worked himself as a solid first round guy. I could see the Packers taking him with their pick, if he last that long. He's not elite, but he showed this week that he can play inside if needed, but he can also play either tackle spot. Would be a great swing guy for us if we HAVE to have Columbo for one more year.

Cam Jordan has dominated almost every guy he has gone up against. I think he would be an excellent 5-tech for us, probably move inside and create a nice duo of Ratliff and Jordan as our nickel tackles. With Bowen and Igor as the ends, Ware and Spencer blitzing...nasty nickel front!

I still think it won't matter what our defensive front does if we dont cover better than we did this past year. We need serious secondary help, mainly at safety!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His LT experience last season was huge.

It takes 2-3 yrs. to develop even the most coachable of LTs in the same system, unless they're D'Brickashaw or Joe Thomas. Too great a risk & too little reward protecting Romo's blind side to put a developmental rookie there for OJT.

Better to address OG -- either or both -- in this draft as Leonard Davis is done. There were severe running game issues at OG last yr

Last edited by LizardState : 01-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

What is the FA situation with Free? Is it the same as everyone else with the CBA issue?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, he is, but there is no way in hell JJ lets him get away.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Somewhere between 3 and 5 year deal?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, probably 4 or 5.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote