Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What would Haloti Ngata get on the open market?

Tough to do with no cap set for next season, and FA being held off for a little....lets assume the cap goes up for conversations sake...

Considering Haynesworth's contract, d'you think he'd top 41 million in guaranteed money?

Note: I know he's not going to hit FA. Ravens are going to do everything possible to keep him.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 AM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn straight... Only way he's getting out of Baltimore is in a body bag...
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Frankly his contract is going to be awe-inspiring. He will set the new trend for DT's for years to come. I'm looking for something around 5-7 years and ballpark around 80 or so million.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I expect he will get slightly above what Haynesworth got.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dockett got 6/56 with 30 guaranteed last offseason, I'd guess Ngata's would be like 6/64 with 40 guarneteed

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Dockett got 6/56 with 30 guaranteed last offseason, I'd guess Ngata's would be like 6/64 with 40 guarneteed
I really don't see how Ngata gets under what Haynesworth got. Haynesworth set the bar for what the top DT in the league gets and there is no reason why Ngata shouldn't top it. In all honesty, Dockett is a notch below Ngata and Haynesworth(when he was a FA)...not to mention that Dockett's contract wasn't on the open market
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:11 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he doesnt get the biggest contract for a defensive lineman ever I would be completely shocked. He is far and away the best DL in the game right now. The one player on that defense that I think really ***** with everyone else is not Ed Reed or Ray Lewis or Terrell Suggs, its Ngata. He should really be the highest paid defensive player in football, IMO.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are two major factors to take into account when deciding whether or not he will get Haynesworth money. Firstly, Dan Snyder is crazy and secondly Haynesworth signed his contract coming off one of the most dominant defensive line performances in recent memory. Haloti Ngata is the best defensive linemen in the league but Haynesworth was unbelievable in 2008. With those two in mind I would be surprised if Ngata hets Haynesworth style money. I expect maybe 6 years $70M.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 AM    (permalink
jsagan77
Veteran

jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77 jsagan77

Nata should get more money just on the non-douche factor alone...
jsagan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he were to enter free agency right now, I would give him 120 million over 7 years with 50 million guaranteed.

edit: I think he is the single most dominating defensive player in the NFL. You can talk numbers, but this guy demands double teams every play. He can play any position on the DL at an elite level, for just about any team. I wouldn't be shocked if he could play QB if he put enough time into it. He's an athletic freak (moreso than 99% of the NFL). He is one of the few players that I am scared of him getting better.

Last edited by descendency : 01-30-2011 at 06:20 AM.
descendency is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 AM    (permalink
Umoro
Rookie

Umoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I wouldn't give him a record-breaking contract.

He's never had more than 3 sacks in a single year until now, and he only had 5.5 this year. I feel that if a DT or DE is to be given a monster contract, he has to be an *elite* pass rusher. Ngata is one of these DEs that is tough to move in the running game, and he will occasionally make a splash play in the passing game, but I wouldn't consider him an elite pass-rusher by any means.

And no, don't give me "but he commands double teams on every snap!" because I've watched Ravens game and he doesn't necessarily command a double team on every snap, and don't give me "but 3-4 DEs don't need to get sacks!" because a.) if they want a monster contract they do and b.) Bruce Smith is the all-time NFL sack leader and he played 3-4 DE his entire career and would often get 10+ sacks in a season from that position.
Umoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoro View Post

He's never had more than 3 sacks in a single year until now, and he only had 5.5 this year. I feel that if a DT or DE is to be given a monster contract, he has to be an *elite* pass rusher. Ngata is one of these DEs that is tough to move in the running game, and he will occasionally make a splash play in the passing game, but I wouldn't consider him an elite pass-rusher by any means.

And no, don't give me "but he commands double teams on every snap!" because I've watched Ravens game and he doesn't necessarily command a double team on every snap, and don't give me "but 3-4 DEs don't need to get sacks!" because a.) if they want a monster contract they do and b.) Bruce Smith is the all-time NFL sack leader and he played 3-4 DE his entire career and would often get 10+ sacks in a season from that position.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The system Bruce Smith played in in buffalo was a single gap system that allowed the lineman more freedom to wreak havoc, not just maintain gaps to free up linebackers.

Thats what Ngata's job is in the ravens two gap system, to allow ray lewis and suggs the ability to get one on one matchups or come free.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You completely misunderstand what a 3-4 DE actually is. You keep bringing up Bruce Smith like that's what you look for in a five technique. It's not.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well this is just beyond idiotic. Ngata controls the LoS every single game and he will be worth every dollar he gets from us. He's the most dominant defensive lineman in the game right now and he's still extremely young.

Early word is that negotiations for his contract opened up around what Suh got last year, so Id expect the final contract to be something similar to that, not similar to what Haynesworth got. Ill try and find the link for that, but thats where the talks were last I heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably something around $70 million with $40 million guaranteed or so. A little more than what Suh got.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IDC if we give Haloti a blank check, we need to get him a Raven for life. He is 27 and he is the best 34 DE in football, could be the best 34 NT in football, and could be the best 43 DT in football to. He has no character issues also. My prediction is about 40 million guarenteed and 8 million overall. I dont think he will try to break our bank like Haynesworth did. I remember his rookie year his contract was only 5 years for 14 million which was interesting because the 13th pick got 23.7 million.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haloti Ngata is an animal and probably the best defensive lineman in the NFL, but he probably wouldn't get Haynesworth money. Firstly, Haynesworth had the type of season a few years ago that happens once every decade or two, secondly Ngata doesn't produce the stats(and I know stats aren't what count but it's way easier to leverage in contract talks with "I had 15 sacks last year" than with "I helped everyone else on my defense and command double teams"), and thirdly he doesn't play a premium position. IMO he would probably get somewhere in the region of 80m for 7 years with about 35m gauranteed, but deserves about 100m for 7 years with 45m gauranteed

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

...and this is why better players keep not getting the DPOY award. Too many people get giant boners over sack numbers.

I'm going to guess that you think the Cy Young award should just go to the pitcher with the most wins.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

With all due respect, sir.....

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, this thread got ridiculous in one post.

tjsunstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly. You say 34 DE like that explains anything. It's all on the system they're in.. bc they're not all the same.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 AM    (permalink
Umoro
Rookie

Umoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Wow. Everyone on this board sure is quick to jump all over a dissenting opinion.

All I'm saying is that if I'm ponying up big-time $$$ for a free agent DL, I'd kind of prefer that guy to be able to impact the passing game in a big way, which is the most important thing in the game at this point. If I want a dominant run-stuffer I could pick up half a dozen guys in the draft that could give me solid performance in that respect - a studly pass rusher is far rarer. I'd much rather give a big contract to Julius Peppers, for instance, than Haloti Ngata because Peppers will impact the passing game more than Ngata.
Umoro is offline   Reply With Quote