Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
Yes, there's also a reason the Bengals can't be consistent. I don't blame it all on him, and just because you've never played it doesn't mean you have studied the absolute crap out of it and can teach it. Some of the greatest teachers ever are those who never actually DID what they teach on. Sometimes it's just about techniques of teaching, and sometimes it's just about being able to learn by seeing.

I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it, cause there's no reason to go cutting your wrists, unless...well, nevermind. Matt Ryan is growing, and you can tell it when he's calling the plays, I feel like this year he could become even more like the great Peyton Manning, in terms of taking over some more of the playcalling. Ryan in the no huddle is insane, when he's calling his plays and doing what he has to with the offense, crazy crazy proficient and just on the money with his playcalling. Hopefully we'll play more to that this year.

I thought you were leaving...

Quote:
But another strong season by the Falcons in 2011 could raise Mularkey’s stock even more, and he could get a top job after this season. That’s why coach Mike Smith made a good hire with Bratkowski. He’s worked with quarterbacks before, and is widely credited with the development of Carson Palmer in Cincinnati.

Bratkowski was Cincinnati’s offensive coordinator from 2001 to 2010. He also did a stint as Seattle’s offensive coordinator. His main job for now will be working with Ryan. But adding Bratkowski gives the Falcons an immediate option at offensive coordinator if Mularkey moves on in the future.

Mmm. Awesome. Look at all of Carson development!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ohh.

*************, they signed that ****** so he would be offensive coordinator when that **** Mularkey leaves. That is ******* ********, he's worse then poor man's mularkey, he's the poor's man's mularkey's poor man, has the same *** ******** vanilla offense. I thought we were ******* adding explosiveness you ******* *****, how about brining in an OC who will untilize it. **** that ****, I thought he was just a ******* QB coach, but they plan to keep using this offense, probably will be for the next ******* decade. How bout we ******* sign the next BVG too, **** you.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Ohh.

*************, they signed that ****** so he would be offensive coordinator when that **** Mularkey leaves. That is ******* ********, he's worse then poor man's mularkey, he's the poor's man's mularkey's poor man, has the same *** ******** vanilla offense. I thought we were ******* adding explosiveness you ******* *****, how about brining in an OC who will untilize it. **** that ****, I thought he was just a ******* QB coach, but they plan to keep using this offense, probably will be for the next ******* decade. How bout we ******* sign the next BVG too, **** you.

Well said my friend, well said.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If he becomes our OC, then Mike Smith has signed his own death knell.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Well said my friend, well said.
I figured I'd spare you the time, that is exactly how I feel about it though.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-14-2011, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stop whining about the coaches. The coaches are not holding the Falcons back from anything. The Falcons need more talent. The Falcons got beaten by a more talented team and now half the fanbase hates the coaches. You just look foolish when you blame it on coaching, because that wasn't the problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I have blamed the players for too long, I think it's time to put some pressure on coaches and not make them feel like any of their jobs are safe.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I figured I'd spare you the time, that is exactly how I feel about it though.

It's annoying. Obviously if we add explosive players, we are going to get more big plays. Players make plays. But you want someone who can put them in a consistent opportunity to succeed, and I'm just not sure we have that now. And the hiring of Brat as the QB coach and most likely future offensive coordinator shows me that we are going to stick to what we do in all likelihood.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought you were leaving...

Mmm. Awesome. Look at all of Carson development!

It isn't so much that Carson didn't develop. He actually did. But injuries sapped him of his talent.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
It isn't so much that Carson didn't develop. He actually did. But injuries sapped him of his talent.
Fair enough, but Brat has still done absolutely nothing for that team, and he probably won't for us either.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Mike Smith is probably going to be the next John Fox. Very strong motivator, very good coach, solid X/O guy, who is too stubborn and loyal, and ends up getting fired after winning nothing when his message goes stale.

Only thing he has going for him is a top 10 young QB and not Delhomme.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Stop whining about the coaches. The coaches are not holding the Falcons back from anything. The Falcons need more talent. The Falcons got beaten by a more talented team and now half the fanbase hates the coaches. You just look foolish when you blame it on coaching, because that wasn't the problem.
Shut up
<10>
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mike Smith is probably going to be the next John Fox. Very strong motivator, very good coach, solid X/O guy, who is too stubborn and loyal, and ends up getting fired after winning nothing when his message goes stale.

Only thing he has going for him is a top 10 young QB and not Delhomme.
wow. everyone loved Mike Smith and now we're counting down the days till hes fired.. such loyal fans

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
wow. everyone loved Mike Smith and now we're counting down the days till hes fired.. such loyal fans
It's not about loyalty, wtf do you come off with that? We're loyal to the organization, not the coach. If he's not going to make the 'tough' call of getting rid of MM then someone has to. The Head Coach isn't here to be everybody's buddy.

The same reason we all love Smitty, so do the players. But the coaches need to know they have to do better.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's not about loyalty, wtf do you come off with that? We're loyal to the organization, not the coach. If he's not going to make the 'tough' call of getting rid of MM then someone has to. The Head Coach isn't here to be everybody's buddy.

The same reason we all love Smitty, so do the players. But the coaches need to know they have to do better.
obviously i was talking about loyalty to the coach. Before the playoff game everyone was so high on Mike Smith and had total confidence in him, and now, almost none. Sure we played like **** that game but were still a very young team, we'll go through some growing pains and we'll learn from them. Also, don't say hiring that QB coach is the worst move ever, we haven't even seen what kind of effect hes gonna have on this team.. Sure he sucked with the Bengals, but its the Bengals..

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

I doubt doubt Mike Smith's abilities as a coach, I do wonder about him as a personnel guy though. He's got to improve the coaching staff around him, I think that's what people are mad about.

Mike Mularkey is an absolutely awful OC. He's got none of his old "inspector gadget" plays going anymore, and we have the people who can run them. If he doesn't snap out of his mentality, we're going to be screwed.

Look what we did against the Ravens, a top flight NFL defense, we threw the ball, and Matt Ryan lit them up. Got to let the gunslinger sling it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I doubt doubt Mike Smith's abilities as a coach, I do wonder about him as a personnel guy though. He's got to improve the coaching staff around him, I think that's what people are mad about.

Mike Mularkey is an absolutely awful OC. He's got none of his old "inspector gadget" plays going anymore, and we have the people who can run them. If he doesn't snap out of his mentality, we're going to be screwed.

Look what we did against the Ravens, a top flight NFL defense, we threw the ball, and Matt Ryan lit them up. Got to let the gunslinger sling it.
how can you say we have the people to be an explosive team? We have one really good WR, then the drop off is significant. Michael Jenkins wont stretch the field, Harry Douglas could but hes been injured and not living up to his potential. Gonzalez isnt the TE he once was at all. We have no COP back who can burn anyone and make a big run. If we get a few speedsters and Ryan develops even more then maybe MM will open up the play book.

Sig by BK

Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
obviously i was talking about loyalty to the coach. Before the playoff game everyone was so high on Mike Smith and had total confidence in him, and now, almost none. Sure we played like **** that game but were still a very young team, we'll go through some growing pains and we'll learn from them. Also, don't say hiring that QB coach is the worst move ever, we haven't even seen what kind of effect hes gonna have on this team.. Sure he sucked with the Bengals, but its the Bengals..
Where the **** did I say he was a bad coach or that I wanted him fired? I actually complimented him and I think he's one of the better coaches in the league, much like how I feel about John Fox. But he certainly appears too stubborn at this point and that's not a great trait to have.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I saw that Scott Wright has another updated mock draft up and Allen Bailey is the pick for 27 again. How many of you would be upset about that pick? I just hope TD doesn't get fooled from the workout numbers Bailey will put up. He's a tweener and to be successful in the NFL you have to have that quick first step and Bailey doesn't. The bull rushes won't work in the NFL against bigger and stronger tackles therefore Bailey's main move won't work.

Many other players with better upside at other positions should be taken before Bailey. The scary thing is the falcon's get another JAM(although its pick 27 not 8 in the draft). Taking Bailey is overdrafting and fitting a square peg in a round hole. I would think TD has learned not to do this but will see. The Falcon's need playmakers who have the potential to be pro bowlers and I just don't see Bailey making that big of a difference.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Not interested in Allen Bailey. He's got a lot of talent, but he's not for us in Round 1.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't think Mike Smith is actually a good X/O guy. We got him mostly because of his personality, and Im ok with that. He fits in very well with what the organization is trying to do, Arthur Blank and TD have been very consistent from day 1.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Not interested in Allen Bailey. He's got a lot of talent, but he's not for us in Round 1.
I think he gets picked by a 3-4 team a little higher then he should be considering his talent. Definitely not a guy we need on the D-Line.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I don't think Mike Smith is actually a good X/O guy. We got him mostly because of his personality, and Im ok with that. He fits in very well with what the organization is trying to do, Arthur Blank and TD have been very consistent from day 1.

I don't think he's a great X/O guy either, but he's solid. He's not Singeltary or anything like that. He's solid. I know I hate our style of defense, but it is run pretty well. We stop the run and don't give up many big scores. What we struggle with is getting off the field on 3rd down.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Just a little snippet from Detroit that amused me and I thought I would share:

"Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports the Lions have never been a franchise that makes a huge splash in free agency, and coach Jim Schwartz said last week at the Michigan Associated Press Sports Editors meeting that won’t change even now that they’re closing in on playoff contention.

“What we need to do is we need to take the same kind of attitude that we’ve taken to get from 0-16 to this year and not change that all of a sudden and think all we need to do is make one more move and that will get us over the top,” Schwartz said. “I think too many times that is a recipe for failure in the NFL, teams that think they’re really close and they think that one person is going to be the difference-maker.”

Whenever free agency starts, the Lions will be in the market for help at cornerback and outside linebacker, but they’ll tread prudently.

Already, they’ve resisted the urge to overspend and put an estimated $14-million franchise tag on cornerback Chris Houston — their top free agent — though they still hope to re-sign him for next season."

Houston at 14 mill, interesting idea...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Haha falcons traded him for a 6th rounder, and a year later he's worth 14 million. I guess if we had Ndamukong Suh all those years Chris Houston was here we could probably get a 1st rounder for him, haha.

Quote:
we all hate you