Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
Just a little snippet from Detroit that amused me and I thought I would share:

"Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports the Lions have never been a franchise that makes a huge splash in free agency, and coach Jim Schwartz said last week at the Michigan Associated Press Sports Editors meeting that won’t change even now that they’re closing in on playoff contention.

“What we need to do is we need to take the same kind of attitude that we’ve taken to get from 0-16 to this year and not change that all of a sudden and think all we need to do is make one more move and that will get us over the top,” Schwartz said. “I think too many times that is a recipe for failure in the NFL, teams that think they’re really close and they think that one person is going to be the difference-maker.”

Whenever free agency starts, the Lions will be in the market for help at cornerback and outside linebacker, but they’ll tread prudently.

Already, they’ve resisted the urge to overspend and put an estimated $14-million franchise tag on cornerback Chris Houston — their top free agent — though they still hope to re-sign him for next season."

Houston at 14 mill, interesting idea...
that is priceless, hes so terrible, I wouldnt give him 14 dollars...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Figured I'd post this. I don't always agree with PFF, but I love to read their opinions.

Quote:
ATLANTA

Moving On Up: CB Brent Grimes (-3.7 to +9.0)

Narrowly edging out the improving Justin Blalock, Grimes built on the flashes of good play in ’09 with some excellent displays this year. So much so that it earned him a spot on our NFC Pro Bowl team, as the former undrafted free agent outplayed expensive off-season acquisition Dunta Robinson. Grimes got his hands to more balls than any other cornerback this year with 21 (five interceptions and 16 pass breakups). That’s playmaking.

Had a Bad Year: LB Curtis Lofton (+9.7 to -10.0)

In becoming a genuine three-down linebacker, Lofton appeared to have lost some of the intensity that made him one of the best run stuffing middle linebackers in the league. It wasn’t anything that numbers would pick up, with Lofton making and missing a similar number of tackles, but Lofton had particular difficulty with linemen getting to the second level. Once a strength, he looked a shadow of the player we saw in his first two years even if he didn’t look anywhere near as lost in coverage.

Give This Guy More Snaps: DT Peria Jerry (+1.6 in 218 snaps)

There isn’t really a candidate for this category on a Falcons team that got their best players on the field. So Jerry is the obvious guy to go with, as a former first round talent on his way back from an injury that took away nearly all of his rookie year. The former Ole Miss DT had flashes as a situational rusher, but with Atlanta using three-man lines there was rarely a chance for him to build on the 11 QB disruptions he produced.
I'm not sure I saw those flashes from Jerry they talk about. He looked really good vs. Carolina, but it's Carolina. And while I'm not sure Lofton was that bad, but I definitely feel he dropped off some this year. He whiffed a lot on tackles in coverage I thought.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Brent Grimes had like 23 pass breakups.

I wouldn't say Lofton had a bad year, run defense was great again, and he's a huge part of that.

Peria Jerry will get more snaps. The reason why he didn't get that much is because of obviously his injury. Mike Smith knows it takes more then a year to recover so they didn't want to use him as much. Corey Peters is the other reason why his snaps are low.

We took a huge gamble taking Peria. He missed a game every year since 2004 (except 07), 6 of last 7 years. He had a knee surgery just a year before we drafted him and was actually hurt when we took him.

It's a shame, he has so much talent.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-16-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, he can be a major disrupter. He was completely dominant in the SEC his final season. Him and Spoon stepping up and adding a complimentary pass rusher takes our D to the next level.

Oh, and if we don't add another receiving target, I'm going to be pissed. There are a ton of options (Hank, Young, Smith, Jernigan), but I'm nervous it'd require a trade up in the 2nd and we might not do that.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ahhhh

TO PAY OR NOT TO PAY:

Matt Bryant, PK ---- Pay Him
Brian Finneran, WR
Brent Grimes, CB ---- Pay Him
Michael Koenen, P
Trey Lewis, DT
Stephen Nicholas, LB
Jerious Norwood, RB
Michael Peterson, LB
Will Svitek, LT
Eric Weems, WR ----- Pay Him
Brian Williams, CB
Tyson Clabo, RT ---- push
Justin Blalock, LG ---- Push
Harvey Dahl, RG ---- Push
Coy Wire, LB ---- paid

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-16-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I'm super interested in bringing Norwood back on a cheaper one year deal. Still address the need, but if it's not there, we don't have to force it. If find good value in the draft/FA, we have Norwood as the 3rd back instead of Antonie Smith/Gartell Johnson. Find a way to get him a few touches, and hope for the best.

Or draft someone like Quizz or Locke in the 4th, and let them develop/see only a couple of plays a game as the #3 back with a Turner/Norwood combo.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

TO PAY OR NOT TO PAY:

Matt Bryant, PK ---- Don't Pay Him
Brian Finneran, WR ---- See ya
Brent Grimes, CB ---- Pay Him, moderately, don't break the bank for him, if he wants a huge payday let him walk. He gave up too many touchdowns etc. But at least he can make plays too, so he's definitely got some good value.
Michael Koenen, P ---- Pay him
Trey Lewis, DT ---- backup level contract and I'm fine with him being here, plenty of talent, he's just buried behind 3 better talents
Stephen Nicholas, LB ---- Gotta pay him, or we're going to be looking for his replacement in the draft.
Jerious Norwood, RB ---- Sorry Jerious, I love ya man, but you can't stay healthy, I'll give ya a contract based on time played...
Michael Peterson, LB ---- Seems like he's just always there, always a playmaker, that being said, I really would like to find an improvement for him somewhere, he's looking for 1 more payday to ride off into the sunset.
Will Svitek, LT ---- Not at all interested
Eric Weems, WR ----- Pay Him
Brian Williams, CB ---- BYE, you're AWFUL
Tyson Clabo, RT ---- Pay Him, our best offensive lineman over the last 3-4 years, absolutely pay him.
Justin Blalock, LG ---- Pay Him, young very talented lineman who doesn't miss time.
Harvey Dahl, RG ---- We don't have that much money, and we have a replacement for him, I think it may be time to let him go elsewhere.
Coy Wire, LB ---- paid, unfortunately.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't understand why you wouldn't bring back Matt Bryant. He had the best year of his career at 35 years old, he won many close games for us.

Peterson is a great leader, but I'll much rather see him go. He is terrible on passing plays. He did look better in 2010 then 2009 though.

Svitek did good as a 3rd tackle, wouldn't mind bringing him back especially if we loose Clabo.

Brian Williams had a very solid year as a nickel. Unfortunately for him, he didn't finish a couple of sacks and people are going to remember that. Still, I think we need to draft a nickel guy.

aaaaaaaaaaand

COY WIRE!!! You don't want Coy Wire back, wtf dude? Who doesn't want coy wire back. That guy is the ******* man. I'm much happier bringing Coy Wire back then paying big bucks on some big shots in free agency.

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

It sounds like the Panthers are going to tag Ryan Kalil or Charles Johnson. So that should put on of them on the market and DeAngelo Williams. I'd heavily pursure DeAngelo and whichever of Kalil/Johnson hits.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
It sounds like the Panthers are going to tag Ryan Kalil or Charles Johnson. So that should put on of them on the market and DeAngelo Williams. I'd heavily pursure DeAngelo and whichever of Kalil/Johnson hits.
DeAngelo Williams would be beyond sexy in a falcons uniform. but it wont happen :/
we are already paying Turner starter money.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
DeAngelo Williams would be beyond sexy in a falcons uniform. but it wont happen :/
we are already paying Turner starter money.
Yeah, he's one of my favorites. Absolutely loved him coming out of the draft. I could see GB adding him and dominating the world.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, he's one of my favorites. Absolutely loved him coming out of the draft. I could see GB adding him and dominating the world.
id do anything to have him starting instead of turner. He has that break away speed that turner just doesnt have.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

We need a RB that has the first step and good acceleration that Turner clearly lacks.

I like DeAngleo. And maybe he will switch his #34 for 21, so d34ng3l021 can be happy again. :D

He's going to be 28 this year though, I would really like to draft a RB. It's an easy position to adjust to from college and have immediate success.

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 02-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I would expect the Falcon's draft a running back about the 3rd or 4th round. There seem to be a number of decent prospects that could be drafted then.D Williams will want money and I don't think the Falcon's would sign him since Turner gets most of the carries.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I do want the Falcons to draft a RB, Turner deserves a lot more credit than he gets. Our OL is good, but it's not the Cowboy's 1990s line. Turner does his job well, and has averaged over 90 yards rushing per game since joining the squad. Not to mention he fits our identity to a T.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

It gets really frustrating when he can't even get to the LOS, and when he runs out of bounds. We do need a speed back.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
While I do want the Falcons to draft a RB, Turner deserves a lot more credit than he gets. Our OL is good, but it's not the Cowboy's 1990s line. Turner does his job well, and has averaged over 90 yards rushing per game since joining the squad. Not to mention he fits our identity to a T.
Turner's still probably around a top 10 back. He's just not the top 3-5 guy his stats make him out to be.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

RT-Tyson Clabo said today @SiriusNFLRadio w/ @bmacsports & @15miller that he wants to be back with the #Falcons but it's not their priority.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think the Falcons are waiting to see what's going on with this lockout before they pay anyone big bucks. That also indicated Clabo is looking for some kind of money.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I think the Falcons are waiting to see what's going on with this lockout before they pay anyone big bucks. That also indicated Clabo is looking for some kind of money.

Yeah, they are definitely waiting it out. And that's what I took on the Clabo statement too. TD's probably got a value he won't cross for all of them.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, they are definitely waiting it out. And that's what I took on the Clabo statement too. TD's probably got a value he won't cross for all of them.
I believe he means it when he says he would like to come back, but he want's full pockets for sure, and TD might not be willing. Could be time for Garrett Reynolds.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I believe he means it when he says he would like to come back, but he want's full pockets for sure, and TD might not be willing. Could be time for Garrett Reynolds.
Or Jose Valdez. Dude always plays great in the preseason. He's the same style/size as Clabo.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I can't remember if Jose Valdez played guard or tackle in the preseason. I do remember the announcers really focusing in on him. They were talking about how much stronger he got during the off season. He looked great. We do have options, it might be time to shake up the o-line after all these years.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I can't remember if Jose Valdez played guard or tackle in the preseason. I do remember the announcers really focusing in on him. They were talking about how much stronger he got during the off season. He looked great. We do have options, it might be time to shake up the o-line after all these years.

Well, we cross train our backups a lot. I'm not sure what his "main" position is at this point, but he did at least play some OT in the games. I know that for sure.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Sidney Rice and Ray Edwards look primed to hit FA. Rice is a pipe dream, but Edwards is pretty much perfect for us. Let's just hope the bidding doesn't get too high, because he's not someone I want to pay like an elite pass rusher.