Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum

Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum Discuss the Jaguars

Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
GatorsBullsFan
Rookie

GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
Why would that fix both spots? Would you want to resign Morrison?
Yea thats what I mean...add Von Miller to our Smith/Morrison/Durant/Allen...assuming we resign Morrison

Thanks BoneKrusher
IN SHAD WE TRUST
GatorsBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Aurawolf
Rookie

Aurawolf hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Von Miller is being projected as a 3-4 pass rusher. I have not seen his coverage skills as a LBer because in our setup he would have to be able to cover, we know he can get to the QB.
Aurawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He looked good in coverage at the Senior Bowl. Some people on this site thinks he'd be a better 4-3 OLB than 3-4 OLB.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any thoughts on my draft in the forum mock?

1st round: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
2nd round: Greg Jones, MLB, Michigan State
3rd round: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
4th round: Lawrence Wilson, WLB, Connecticut
4th round: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple
5th round: Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State

I still have our 6th round pick and I traded Harvey for the Raiders 7th round pick (I just wanted another pick).
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
GatorsBullsFan
Rookie

GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan

My Jags Mock through round 5

1st round (16) Akeem Ayers - OLB - UCLA

2nd round (49) Greg Jones - MLB - MSU

3rd round (80) Colin Kaepernick - QB - Nevada

4th round (113) Greg Romeus - DE - Pittsburgh

4th round (120) Tyler Sash - S - Iowa

5th round (144) Kris O'Dowd - C - USC

Thanks BoneKrusher
IN SHAD WE TRUST
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
My Jags Mock through round 5

1st round (16) Akeem Ayers - OLB - UCLA

2nd round (49) Greg Jones - MLB - MSU

3rd round (80) Colin Kaepernick - QB - Nevada

4th round (113) Greg Romeus - DE - Pittsburgh

4th round (120) Tyler Sash - S - Iowa

5th round (144) Kris O'Dowd - C - USC
I don't like Ayers, but I know a lot of people do. I really all the others.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its strange, I was certain Kerrigan would be our pick at 16, but more and more I'm starting to become disinterested. I really don't know why, maybe its overhype/underhype, whatever. I'm truly to starting to get the feeling the direction won't be DE. I'm just not enamored with any DE in the first. They all seem to be tweeners. Locker, Ayers, Jordan, Amukamura, come to mind as potential first round picks. Locker because Oehser made a point today that the QB would be "developmental", so not a starter right away and thus Locker could fix his footwork and develop. Ayers because the linebackers are just "meh" outside of D Smith and Durant has issues staying healthy (though I like him). Jordan because he dominated the Senior Bowl, is build like Alualu, and could offer schematic versatility while making our line even stronger. Amukamura for the obvious reason that he could start at CB for us.

Has anyone else gotten this feeling or am I just going crazy?

Check out Black & Teal for all of your Jaguars needs!

Follow me on twitter @ooonooo904
The Linebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Linebacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's ultimately what I would like to do....

1. CB -Amukamara, QB - Locker, LB - Ayers or DE/DT Jordan
2. LB - Mason Foster, CB Jimmy Smith, CB - Ras-I Dowling, LB Greg Jones, S Rahim Moore
3. QB Christian Ponder, LB Dontay Moch, S DeAndre McDaniel
4. S Robert Sands, etc...

I don't know. Obviously BAP is the most important thing here, I just don't think DE will be considered BAP in the first for some reason...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 AM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

Also, in a purely made up perfect world in my head, I had the wonderful thought of the Jags actually being able to trade down and maybe multiple time.

What if the Jags traded down in round one to say the mid 20's area and received a 3 and 4. Then traded into the 2nd and received a 3 and 5. The Jags could potentially end up with ...
2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6

Hahahahahhaahahahahahah. Sorry, going crazy. I would love this scenario, as GM Gene is a GENEious and would rock the draft world. Also, having all the extra ammo would allow the Jags to move around where ever they may want to be to go whomever they desire.

Even just a single trade down would rock my world. Think about it, trade a 1 for another 1 and maybe a 2nd or maybe a 3 and 4.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM    (permalink
GatorsBullsFan
Rookie

^^^I also like that scenario...maybe trade Harvey for a pick not sure what his value is right now...But we got a 5th for Groves last year..Im thinking 4th rounder for Harvey...would be nice. But on the Locker situation the way it is looking right now..I almost think we could get him in the 2nd round maybe early in the second round by trading down....But I really like Ayers in the first

Thanks BoneKrusher
IN SHAD WE TRUST
Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

Sorry, I was channeling my inner Stigma. Anyway, yea, Harvey could be traded, but if not then let him compete, I mean he's still a physical talent. I still hold out hope that Cullen can change Harvey's intensity...

Another thing... I think Locker tests off the charts at the combine and will not last until round 2. Its just one of those things that although he had average play, his measurables will be absurd.

On a side note, Ponder was recently reported as having gained good weight, ie muscle weight, and he gone from around 210-215 to a solid 230-235. He now will throw at the combine which could cause his stock to rocket, as most people think he might be the most NFL ready mentally. So if his physical attributes grade out well and he passed the medical exam, then he could be a first round talent when all is said and done.

Finally... we all know GM Gene is BAP, but the thing is, on reading Oehser's article (you can see I did, because I like my punctuation), that GM Gene really focuses on value. What does that mean? Well he can pick for need, BUT he targets, meaning he will pick the need if it represents value at the selection spot, so it is very possible the draft could be needs based, but each selection will represent value at the selection spot.

I think we all agree that in order of importance... S, Development QB, LB, CB, DE, OG/C, WR, T, TE, RB, K, P (the last 4 being nonissues) are the order of importance on need.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM    (permalink
SilentJaguar
Rookie

SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.

Channelling your inner Stigma is never a good thing... LOL.

I can't really comment on Locker because I hugely biased towards him and want him in teal in the worst way. Ponder would be a decent consolation prize, but there's something about Jake that makes me feel he wants it more than anyone else in this draft. But yeah, Locker and Ponder are the only QBs from this draft I wouldn't feel bad about having in teal.

I think some of the LBs in this draft are criminally underrated. Not so much Ayerts, though. I think he's better suited for the Tampa 2 that Indy and TB run than any other defense. I admittedly wasn't sold on Nate Irving at first, but after getting to watch him some more, the kid just LOOKS like a football player. I know that's being very vague, but I can't really explain it.

Has anybody else gotten a look at Marsh from Utah State? The last mock I made on BCC, I had us getting him in the 5th, but I think he'll go sooner than that. Kid's got the potential to be another Derek Cox and I love his closing speed whenever he gets beat. I hope he, Jalil Brown, and Shareece Wright do well at the Combine as those are the main corners I've had my eye on.
SilentJaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

I agree with you, Locker and Ponder are the guys I'm most comfortable with. The rest all seem to have more serious flaws.

I completely understand what you mean by knowing a football player when you see them, but could you tell us which ones you are talking about?

Haven't looked at any corners yet, I was trying to wait until after the combine. I'll see if I can dig up any research on those guys.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM    (permalink
GatorsBullsFan
Rookie

Quote:
"taniaganguli: JDR News Nugget 3: Jack said DB, LB and DL are the #Jaguars needs. But then he smiled oddly like he knew something we didn't."

No movement on the Sanders front from the #Jaguars. Del Rio did speak very highly of him today. And Sanders' banner is still up in Indy.
Could this mean something?....Are we in line for a signing we don't know about yet?....Is Bob Sanders going to be a Jag?

Thanks BoneKrusher
IN SHAD WE TRUST
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM    (permalink
SilentJaguar
Rookie

SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Linebacker View Post
I completely understand what you mean by knowing a football player when you see them, but could you tell us which ones you are talking about?
Nate Irving. A LB from N.C. State.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

GBF, its hard to know unless we knew what the circumstance/context of the conversation was. Maybe he was nodding knowingly b/c he didn't list any other positions as a primary need, ie QB. He still listed DB as a need, so I'm dubious, but I hope what you think he might be hinting at is true.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Aurawolf
Rookie

Aurawolf hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For the first time in the past couple of years I am pretty much on the fence as to who the grab in the first round. I too would like to come out of this draft with either Locker or Ponder leaning more Ponder though not sure why. We need help in so many locations at this point I think I am just going to collapse on the couch this year and watch it unfold, getting suprised when Gene does his usual who the heck did we just pick up thing.
Aurawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 AM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

I've read from many sources that Ponder and Locker both looked impressive, with Ponder actually looking like the best overall prospect out there. I think he made the right decision to participate in the combine throwing portions and has really elevated his stock. At this point, I would be fine to take either of the 2 in the first round, as I believe Ponder's stock will continue to rise until draft day. The 2nd tier of QB's can probably be had in the 3rd round.

I tend to believe that a guy like Matt Ryan is the type of QB GM Gene wants. A highly accurate cerebral thrower with some athleticism to rescue himself from bad plays. I tend to believe that Locker's footwork and inaccuracy can be fixed, just because he can have a whole year at the least to work on his footwork. Locker has the most upside, but Ponder is more polished now. I am leaning more and more towards Locker as the pick at 16, although at this rate he might not be there.

Again, I stress the hope that the Jags can find a trade partner if Locker isn't there or we think we can risk taking him later. There are just too many players the Jags need for next year.

EDIT -- didn't talk about the other guys

Kaepernick, I'm not sold on him yet, but he has an extremely high upside, so I wouldn't be unhappy with him. Fears about his windup, but he has a good arm strength and no character concerns.

Mallet is a no go in my opinion. He is a ticking time bomb. He folds under pressure. I agree with the pundits. I watched him play Alabama (I think it was) and watched him make amazing throws, and then follow it up with terrible, TERRIBLE throws. Not a GM Gene type player. Needs consistency.

Newton is no on GM Gene's radar, at all. I don't need to read anything for that.

Stanzi -- Haven't heard anything good. Could be a mid round guy the Jags might take. Ascending stats, 3 year starter, good size and athleticism. Could be a mid round pick for the Jags

Enderle -- Haven't heard ANYTHING. Struggled his senior season, has good size and strength though. 4 year starter, could be a GM Gene guy.

Dalton -- Seems to be a prototypical GM Gene guy. He's tough, hard working, wins and has tons of playing time under his belt. Ascending stats in college, played well in big games and has some athleticism. Definite choice in round 3 or 4.

Devlin has received bad press in recent weeks. The comparison to Flacco isn't holding up and Devlin seems to struggle with accuracy and arm strength. He seems to have good accuracy and ascending stats in college so he could be a prospect for GM Gene.

Taylor is interesting, hes a plain athletic QB, but he isn't very big and lacks accuracy. I don't see him as a GM Gene prospect.

Jerrod Johnson, is plain awful. He is not a GM Gene prospect.

Josh Portis received some good reviews but I just don't see him as a GM Gene type guy. He has only 1 year of production, transferred a few times and has character concerns.

Last edited by The Linebacker : 02-28-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

Just found this on the QB's....
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...rts-on-qb-work

Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM    (permalink
SilentJaguar
Rookie

I really like the cornerbacks this year. Lots of Day 2 prospects who'll more than likely be really good on Sundays. Some decent depth for linebackers too. If we do take a QB in the first, there's a lot of good defensive prospects to go after later on.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

I pray to the Football Pantheon for a trade down, because I agree with you. There is talent out there. Let's look at GM Gene's batting average. Alualu, Hart, Lane, Karim. The main guys being Hart and Alualu. 2 years ago we get Monroe, Britton, Cox, Jennings, Miller, etc. If we can get 3-4 starters out of this class I think I would be ecstatic.

If we could get anything, it would be a starting CB, a starting LB, a starting S and a developmental QB. We don't even need a S necessarily if we actually do end up putting Mathis back at FS.

Let's not forget that we will also be getting D'Anthony Smith back from IR, so that'll be like an extra draft pick. Actually that's a good thing to point out. Look at our IR list....

9 Garrard, David QB 6-1 236 33 10 East Carolina
16 Hughes, Nate WR 6-2 195 26 3 Alcorn State
73 Britton, Eben OT 6-6 310 23 3 Arizona
87 Dillard, Jarett WR 5-10 187 25 3 Rice
12 McCown, Luke QB 6-4 217 29 8 Louisiana Tech
53 Smith, Bryan LB 6-2 250 27 3 McNeese State
74 Kampman, Aaron DE 6-4 260 31 10 Iowa
95 Smith, D’Anthony DT 6-2 298 22 2 Louisiana Tech
30 McGee, Scotty RS/CB 5-8 182 24 2 James Madison
51 Bosworth, Kyle LB 6-1 236 24 2 UCLA
58 Cutrera, Jacob LB 6-3 238 22 2 Louisiana State
62 Estes, John C 6-2 302 23 2 Hawaii
72 Haslam, Kevin OT 6-5 304 24 2 Rutgers
43 Whitehead, Terrell FS 6-1 194 22 2 Norfolk State
20 Wheatley, Terrence CB 5-9 185 25 4 Colorado

That's a large group of players. Take out Garrard and we see this...
WR -- Hughes, Dillard,
OL -- Haslam, Britton, Estes
LB -- Bosworth, Cutrara, Smith
DB -- Whitehead, Wheatley, McGhee
DL -- Smith, Kampman

What I see from this is our best DE coming back. Our 3rd DT finally getting into the rotation, thus keeping DT's 1 and 2 more fresh, a potential swing tackle in Haslem that could be better than Black was. Our starting OT coming back, a potential starter in Wheatley (if he can stay healthy), an intriguing prospect in Whitehead at a massive position of need, 2 WR's that could battle for the top 3 spots.

That's alot of talent on IR, but I don't see much out of the LB's. I like Cutrera and think he could be the next Allen, but I don't know how much that says about him.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would still rather see Cox at FS than ever think of putting Mathis back there again. He forgot how to tackle somwhere around his third season.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

Hahaha, I don't disagree at all with that assessment, I just think Cox is going to continue to develop into a very solid CB while Mathis is on the way down. I think one thing is for certain, SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. I think Greene isn't awful and could be decent back there as a SS, Donovan Darius type, but we need that guy that Reggie Nelson was supposed to be. A center fielder with great vision, top end speed and who makes the INTs

Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

My Mock Draft --- Ultimate Scenario in my mind.....
I used drafttek to basically give myself a guess as to whom would be available in each round, so past the first 100 players (using DC), I used DT.

1. Jags trade out of first for a 2, 3, 5
2. Christian Ponder, QB
2. Rahim Moore, S
3. Greg Jones, LB
3. Chimdi Chekwa, CB
4. Jerrel Jernigan, WR
4. Curtis Marsh, CB
5. Greg Romeus, DE
5. Julius Thomas, TE
6. Cedric Thornton, DT
7. Derek Newton, OT

Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
The Linebacker
Rookie

Using the same scenario that I mentioned before...

1. Jags trade out of first for a 2, 3, 5
2. Mike Pouncey, OL
2. Christian Ponder, QB
3. Greg Jones, LB
3. Edmund Gates, WR
4. K.J. Wright, LB
4. Greg Romeus, DE
5. Jalil Brown, CB
5. Julius Thomas, TE
6. Mark LeGree, S
7. Josh Thomas, CB

Using our current draft picks only, with no trades....

1. Martez Wilson, LB
2. Christian Ponder, QB
3. Nate Irving, LB
4. Shareece Wright, CB
4. Korey Lindsey, CB
5. Julius Thomas, TE
6. Lester Jean, WR
7. Will Rackley, OG