Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Browns just cut LB's Eric Barton and David Bowens, DL Kenyon Coleman and Shaun Rogers, TE Robert Royal and OL John St. Clair.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Browns just cut LB's Eric Barton and David Bowens, DL Kenyon Coleman and Shaun Rogers, TE Robert Royal and OL John St. Clair.
I'm so so glad that piece of **** in shoulder pads St. Clair is out of here. Barton wasn't going to make the team anyways.

I really liked Bowens and Coleman but the switch to the 4-3 pretty much killed whatever value they had. I thought maybe Coleman could be a DT still but maybe the staff felt different or wanted to clear his 2.5m salary and 1m roster bonus.

Royal was a great blocking TE but a 3rd string TE making over 2m. I thought Rogers is the most surprising but then again maybe not. 6+m with salary and roster bonuses to a man who can't stay healthy and is never conditioned. I was just intrigued to see him line up next to Rubin in the middle.

The Browns should definitely go best player available this draft...
Fairley, Darues, Bowers, Quinn, Peterson or Green - One of them should fill a big need (Peterson maybe not a big need).

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can anyone give me an assessment about Rogers, I gotta believe he's someone Rob will try to bring to Dallas even if it's only for depth.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Can anyone give me an assessment about Rogers, I gotta believe he's someone Rob will try to bring to Dallas even if it's only for depth.
I'm pretty sure a lot of teams are going to try and get rogers. I have a feeling it's going to be a contending team that will get him, since he's probably tired of being on below average teams.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
I'm pretty sure a lot of teams are going to try and get rogers. I have a feeling it's going to be a contending team that will get him, since he's probably tired of being on below average teams.
Can he still play at an elite level?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Can he still play at an elite level?
Probably not, but he's still a good player and does well in situational rolls. With the right motivation I think he can be very good.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My guess is Rogers will play well for his next team for a year or two. When he went to Cleveland from Detroit he was motivated to play well. Lions fans I talked to wondered where that effort was when he was playing for them.

Once Mangini was hired Rogers pretty much did what he wanted it seemed like. Got out of playing pre-season for the most part (or all of it maybe), and I've heard comments that he practiced when he wanted to and Mangini was tired of it by 2010 season's end.

Rogers' conditioning was not as good in 2010 as it had been the previous couple of years, but that was at least partly because he broke his leg towards the end of the '09 season, and I had the impression he was behind schedule getting into shape for the season, and never caught up.

He'd be better as a 4-3 DT as he likes to penetrate rather than take up space as a NT in the 3-4.

He'll have time this off-season to get into better shape, and considering he'll be overpaid again by some team, he'll be motivated for a year or two. That's the most optimistic possibility in my opinion. It'll depend on what attitude he brings to the team. If he decides he wants to be motivated, he'll help a team. Even better if they play the 4-3 rather than the 3-4.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Tom Servo
Rookie

Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really seems like we coulda gotten a mid round pick for Rogers. WTF?
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would have been nice to get something for Rogers, but I'm pretty sure I heard or read trades are not allowed until a new CBA is agreed to. Even if that's not the case, his 5.5 mil salary, 500,000 roster bonus, and 100,000 bonus for something else, may have made it impossible to trade him. If trades are allowed my guess is Heckert and Holmgren worked the phones and couldn't get anything for him. Rogers didn't contribute enough last season to make him worth that type of money to another team.

In a way I'm sorry to see him go, because Rubin and Rogers as DT's in the 4-3 would have worked out well.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sad every time I watch the Jets play and see S.Ellis beasting. Rogers has just as much talent, if not more, but is all but done in the league as a difference maker-whether it's injuries, conditioning or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, quick question here, what do you guys think of Eric Wright? I know he had an atrocious season, but wasn't he a good CB before? What happened?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Hey guys, quick question here, what do you guys think of Eric Wright? I know he had an atrocious season, but wasn't he a good CB before? What happened?
GOOSEMAHN!!! GTFO YOU LOST THE SUPERBOWL!!! LOL!!!

Just Kidding. I like you. Even though you like the Steelers.

But to answer your question, I have no idea what happened to Eric Wright. He showed potential in '08 and '09 and when handed the starting job this year, he looked completely lost. He has the talent, that's for sure, but maybe there was something wrong with him mentally and maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. If anything, I would guess that it was a lack of confidence after he was destroyed by Anquan Boldin.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

Eric Wright totally lost his confidence, plays soft coverage (doesn't press the WR off the line), and seems to hate contact. While Wright was getting torched by Boldin on one of the TD's, he was chasing Boldin down the middle of the field holding out both arms in desperation trying to slow him down. I don't think he even touched Boldin, and that's when I gave him the nickname 'Tickles', because it looked a bit like he was trying to tickle Boldin.

The only thing I can say in his defense is Rob Ryan's defensive scheme left CB's on an island too often, with no safety help. His first couple of years in Cleveland he played better, but never played tight coverage. He's no Joe Haden in coverage, and will never be a great tackler, but in a more conventional system he might play decently for a team. It's very unlikely to be in Cleveland. Last season I think he was just so afraid of giving up the big play when he didn't have a safety over the top, that his confidence was broken after getting torched.

Hopefully for Wright's sake he can recover from his very poor season.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can pencil in the starting LB corps as the following:

WLB - Jackson
MLB - Gocong
SLB - Fujita.

Heckert hopes to keep Jackson, who’s expected to be a restricted free agent, depending on the collective bargaining agreement. Heckert said linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, who’s missed most of the last two seasons with a pair of torn pectoral muscles, is better-suited for the 4-3. Heckert sounded as if he’d tender Jackson, as well as other restricted free agents, in an effort to retain them.

Fujita can fit any system and he's predominately been a SLB in a 4-3. They liked Gocong's play in the middle last year and think he could play any of the LB spots. Gocong was an OLB in Philly's 4-3 scheme. Tom thinks the LB corps is good and said he viewing the DL the most and says we need younger players on the DL. Says Rubin will be a good fit in a 4-3.

Staying on defense, 4-3 front has officially been confirmed (although everyone already knew). Haden is pleased we retained Jerome Henderson as DB coach and said that he, T.J. and Sheldon all had a great relationship with him. Heckert said Sheldon will probably end his career as a safety but that isn't anytime soon. Haden has been in talks with the staff and is trying to learn as much of the playbook as he can before a lockout will prevent him from doing so.

Heckert said he would have no problem drafting a cornerback at No. 6, likely LSU’s Patrick Peterson, even though he took Joe Haden at No. 7 last year. Heckert said a team can’t have enough good cornerbacks.

Offensively, Colt will be the man going into next season. They want to keep Jake along as a mentor to Colt. The staff would like to retain Wallace as a backup but Wallace wants a shot to start in the NFL.

"Oh, yeah, we will draft a quarterback. You can almost count on it," Holmgren said. "I believe in the young guy we have," he said. "I'm pretty sure we'll take one later in the draft."

Heckert said he wouldn’t hesitate to draft a quarterback with the sixth pick in the draft - “two great quarterbacks are not a bad thing” - but probably won’t given the other quality players available at the top of the draft. The Browns believe they saw enough in McCoy’s eight starts as a rookie to move forward with him as the starter.

Hardesty and Hillis should be sharing the workload which should help our running game a lot. Hillis really slowed down at the end of last year and with a two back system of similar players should keep both fresh. WCO will require the backs to catch a lot of passes and Hardesty wasn't asked to do that while at Tennessee the staff feels like he wont have any problems.

Shurmur stated that Watson is the perfect TE for his offense.

Tom hopes to sign a long term (multi-year) deal with Dawson.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ffffffffffffffffffffff....*blowing the dust off this board.*

Random thoughts heading into camp:

Eric Wright made the right choice. It was possible that the new defense might suit him better but his best bet is to have a comeback season in DEt, then try to cash in.

Mitchell was a necessary resign. Who knows where he's at now but I thought he looked damn good last pre season in Minnesota. Cullen Jenkins is still out there. This guy looked like he was on the verge of a huge breakout when he earned a start in the Packers 43 at DE but got injured. He was still a difference maker in their 34 but I'd like to see if he still has big time ability at DE in an even front.

Taylor's hold up is undoubtedly concerning health issues -feet and weight-I'm guessing the club is trying to protect itself to a degree.

I've liked Usama Young since he was a prospect-I think he'll do fine as a fill in starter. A little surprised I haven't heard anything concerning Donte Whitner though.

Carlos Rogers would be a good signing. He's incredibly inconsistent but is also one of the most intimidating hitters in the league from the CB position.

I'll be shocked if Little does not clearly establish himself as the best WR by the start of the season.

Signing of Jarrett Brown went virtually unnoticed but I was pushing for this guy to be drafted instead of Colt. Really interested to see how he performs this camp. Signing Terrell Pryor would be intriguing but I think this guy needs to get out of the state of Ohio. From everything I've read and seen, none of Colt's teammates are ready to go out on a limb and declare that Colt will be a good starting QB for this team. I think that's really the whole organization's stance on him.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Signing of Jarrett Brown went virtually unnoticed but I was pushing for this guy to be drafted instead of Colt. Really interested to see how he performs this camp. Signing Terrell Pryor would be intriguing but I think this guy needs to get out of the state of Ohio. From everything I've read and seen, none of Colt's teammates are ready to go out on a limb and declare that Colt will be a good starting QB for this team. I think that's really the whole organization's stance on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Moore
"I think he's himself now," Moore said. "I think Colt is a natural-born leader. When he first got here, in hindsight I realized he was definitely uncomfortable not being the leader and not being able to voice how he feels about things and push guys in a certain direction.
"Now you can tell it's not forced. He organized our offseason workouts. He basically ran our workouts. That's what you want your quarterback to do. I think he's ready go."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...t_end_eva.html
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't matter, his play will do the talking this season and the Colt debate will end, assuming he even makes it a full season. Go ahead and call me pessimistic, I really don't think he's going to cut it in the AFC north.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
Originally Posted by Evan Moore
"I think he's himself now," Moore said. "I think Colt is a natural-born leader. When he first got here, in hindsight I realized he was definitely uncomfortable not being the leader and not being able to voice how he feels about things and push guys in a certain direction.
"Now you can tell it's not forced. He organized our offseason workouts. He basically ran our workouts. That's what you want your quarterback to do. I think he's ready go."
I don't mean to sound like a pessimist either but that's far from endorsing him as a solid starting QB.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Starting lines so far in camp:

LT: Thomas
LG: Steinbach
C: Mack
RG: Lauvao
RT: Pashos

LDE: Mitchell
UT: Taylor
NT: Rubin
RDE: Shread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what Heckert has done with the team so far. Last year the rebuilding method wasn't so clear since we kept Mangini and Mangini kept all his veteran players and his system. We were one of the oldest rosters in the league last year and were supposed to be rebuilding. This year we get rid of these veteran players:

Jake Delhomme, Lawrence Vickers, Robert Royal, John St.Clair, Kenyon Coleman, Shaun Rogers, Robaire Smith, David Bowens, Eric Barton, Matt Roth, Abram Elam, Eric Wright, and Nick Sorenson.

Now some of those guys are still young and some of those guys are quite good, but their future didn't fit with the Browns' future. We are now a very young team that has been stripped bare and is being replenished with the bevvy of draft picks the team has had in the past 2 drafts. Next year we will have a ton of picks again including two 1st rounders and two 4th rounders as well I believe, not to mention a few compensatory picks that we are bound to add after losing a bunch of quality free agents this year (notably Roth, Elam, Wright, Vickers, and Smith). We are probably two drafts away from having a very good looking young roster and people will start realizing how much better it is to build through the draft in the mold of Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, and San Diego - 4 teams who are good year in and year out and are almost exclusively built with draft picks.

This is all of our young talent, and it will look a lot better after next April (probable long term solutions bolded):

QB-Colt McCoy
RB-Peyton Hillis, Montario Hardesty, Brandon Jackson
FB-Owen Marecic
WR-Greg Little, Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Josh Cribbs, Carlton Michell
TE-Evan Moore, Jordan Cameron
LT-Joe Thomas
LG-Jason Pinkston
C-Alex Mack
RG-Shawn Lauvao, John Greco
RT-

LDE-Jayme Mitchell, Marcus Benard
LDT-Phil Taylor
RDT-Ahtyba Rubin
RDE-Jabaal Sheard
WLB-Kaluka Maiava
MLB-D'Qwell Jackson
SLB-
LCB-Joe Haden, Dimitri Patterson
RCB-Buster Skrine, Coye Francies
FS-Usama Young
SS-TJ Ward, Eric Hagg

Last edited by keylime_5 : 08-05-2011 at 01:38 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I remember reading somewhere that we ended up like 396 years younger with all the moves.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Well aren't you the optimist Keylime. But we're chalk fill of unproven players. On offense we have maby four proven guys-Thomas-Mack-Steinbach-Watson. Leaving out Hillis because, although he carried the team last season, he took a serious pounding and at this point it's just one good year. With his style it would be surprising if he can actually improve and continue to sustain all the punishment(plus Madden cover). And leaving out Cribbs because it's unclear what role he'll take in the new offense. A bit better on defense because of the LBs(although slow) and our two promising DBs but the fact that almost half the starting D will be rookies and first time starters is just scary.

Through first week of camp:

James Walker ESPN blog:

Quote:
Taylor has been the most impressive of the group. He arrived in camp four days late because of a contract dispute. But Taylor made his presence felt later in the week with his size, strength and ability to get up field. He could be a force next to fellow defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin.
Quote:
Because veteran free agents were unable to practice until Thursday, rookie fifth-round pick Buster Skrine received a lot of reps as the nickel corner this week. Skrine displayed good speed and playmaking ability. He jumped a route in team drills Tuesday and got a pick-six off McCoy, his best play of the week.

Skrine is competitive and looks like a mini-Joe Haden. He probably will make the team as a late-round pick.
Quote:
Backup offensive tackle Brandon Braxton is showing flashes. He has good size and gets good leverage and position in pass protection. Braxton is pushing veteran Tony Pashos, the projected starter, through the first week of camp.
Quote:
Greg Little. His drops are a concern. He has good physical tools. But by my count, Little dropped at least five passes in practice this week. He had a reputation in college for drops. It's too early to say if it's lack of concentration or bad hands. Perhaps rust also is a factor. Little was suspended at the University of North Carolina all of last season.
However, he showed up in front of the fans at Sat practice and looked like a #1 WR. By accounts he's showed marked improvement in his first week, sooo..

Quote:
The Browns are a slow football team. Cleveland has decent size but definitely not enough blazers and game-changing athletes. I thought the Browns would be more aggressive in free agency to close the talent gap with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. But that wasn't the case. Keep an eye on team speed during the regular season. I think it will be an issue.
I thought they might bring in a blazer 3rd down RB to compensate for this instead of B.Jackson. I remember seeing something that they were all set in taking Vereen if he was there, instead of Little, anyone also hear that? The only thing to the speed issue is that's where Cribbs(faster than he's given credit for) or Demtrius Williams might find a role. And on defense, why Skrine might get on the field as the nickel.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never said we were good, just young :). I think we're gonna struggle a lot this year because of our lack of depth at every position on defense (especially in the front seven where you have the 7 starters and maybe 1 or 2 decent backups and then a bunch of street free agents after that). I'm very excited about the direction the management is taking though and that we are actually building through the draft like San Diego, Pittsburgh, Indy, Green Bay, etc. and not just saying we're gonna build through the draft and then go and sign a bunch of free agents like Savage and Mangini did. I think after the 2012 draft we'll look a whole lot better than we do right now. Lots of unproven talent there this year. Hopefully most of those draft picks pan out. It's looking good for Haden, Ward, and Lauvao so far. We'll find out if McCoy can be the franchise QB after this year. The key for Hardesty, Taylor, Little, and Sheard this year is to stay healthy, because the talent is there and those guys seem very coachable and like they'll pan out with experience and by staying on the field.

One thing I don't get about Little is how all the predraft reviews for him were guys raving about his great hands and how he had the best hands in the entire draft, yet he is the second coming of Quincy Morgan in camp so far. I know you can have great hands and drop a lot of passes still, Jerry Rice did as a rookie, it could be concentration not his hands.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

I've read it's like he's looking to run and not focusing on the catch. Which, if true, makes me think he's pressing, and why not? Experts dubbing him with great hands, expected to be a beast of a yac guy, the team in need of a #1, a year layoff from playing. I'd expect if your going to be good, you practice like you play but at the same time, Little strikes me as a guy who feeds off emotion, and raises his play when the lights are on.

In other news...Redskins, Browns set to attend Pryors Pro Day.
Would it be a crushing blow to Colt's confidence if we acquired Pryor? On the surface, no. But privately...yes. Imo.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I asked for some background on Usama Young in the Saints forum a few days ago and forgot to share it, here's what I got:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Very versatile player, can play both CB and S, energetic, smart, decent in coverage and run support, and has special teams potential. Still hasn't lived up to his potential.
Sounds pretty promising. I like what the FO is doing; bringing in young guys with potential, intelligence, and looking for a place to prove themselves.
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote