Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who will the Panthers take with the 1st Overall pick?
Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson* 34 24.46%
Nick Fairley DT Auburn* 31 22.30%
Cam Newton QB Auburn* 40 28.78%
AJ Green WR Georgia* 5 3.60%
Patrick Peterson DB LSU* 9 6.47%
Robert Quinn DE UNC* 6 4.32%
Marcell Dareus DT Alabama* 14 10.07%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
Gabbert. I think Carolina will go QB. They will convince themselves that Gabbert has the tools and character to succeed in the NFL, but they won't be sure about Newton's character.
I think a lot of teams will be unsure of Newton. That whole Team Newton thing is not attractive to NFL General Managers. They have to feel they have some control over a player they draft. Particularly when he is 21 years old and hasn't shown very good judgement in the past. Cam is always going to do what is best for Team Newton in the short term. Without regard to long term consequences or consideration as to how it affects others.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting question. This is as wide open, and big of a toss up at the #1 pick as I can remember. Carolina could literally address any one of five positions with this pick.

Don't think they'll go quarterback though. I'd go Dareus or A.J. Green. Gun to my head I'll say Dareus.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the natural View Post
I think a lot of teams will be unsure of Newton. That whole Team Newton thing is not attractive to NFL General Managers. They have to feel they have some control over a player they draft. Particularly when he is 21 years old and hasn't shown very good judgement in the past. Cam is always going to do what is best for Team Newton in the short term. Without regard to long term consequences or consideration as to how it affects others.
ESPN yesterday showed the NC game play where he disregarded the play from the Auburn bench & didnt take a knee as ordered, he tried to run it in for more points like a gloryboy dickhead.

That kind of crap lingers in the memories of NFL HCs & scouts, he does that in the NFL & he will get benched faster than a speeding bullet.

Yes Newton was all over the place with the press & the Combine this weekend but, on balance, he has more to overcome than any other player there too. IDK if he showed enough stuff to convince the GMs & HCs he warrants a roll of the dice & a #1 pick.

About this thread, no it won't be Carolina, but I could see Zona taking him b/c they're desperate for a starting QB & have a long organizational history of clueless picks.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if it was up to the masses it would be any1 but Cam Newton.

Ron Rivera seemed to be talking himself into the pick, before NEwton worked out.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
if it was up to the masses it would be any1 but Cam Newton.

Ron Rivera seemed to be talking himself into the pick, before NEwton worked out.
That's a good way to put it. I'd be surprised if the pick ended up being anyone other than Newton.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
That's a good way to put it. I'd be surprised if the pick ended up being anyone other than Newton.
part of it is Newton but the other part is no clear "Mario Williams" or "jake Long" type of player that deserves #1 instead. Fairley measured short. Bowers has Clemson black cloud over his head. Gabbert maybe... but who else deserves #1? It's not like there's a Ndamukong Suh in this draft that is a no brainer (and even he didn't go #1).

put it another way I don't think they lose 14 games again with cam Newton (or Locker, Gabbert, Mallett) but they could lose 15 games if they stick with Clausen. they need a real QB... now.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gabbert is the first player they formally interviewed at Indy. FWTW. I think he would be odds on favorite, since the team was originally going to go with Andrew Luck and Blaine is a very similar QB. Gabbert was ahead of Luck up to about the mid point of the past college season. He started to get banged up and limped down the stretch. Prior to that Gabbert pretty much doubled Luck's numbers across the board in 2009, and was active in 2008 while Andrew redshirted. As recruits, Blaine was 5 star and the #1 pro style prospect, Luck was 4 star and the #4 pro style prospect. Gabbert is a bit bigger, a bit faster, a bit younger, and has a stronger arm than Luck.
hop off Gabberts d!cK! being a 5star recruit instead of a 4 star doesn't mean ****.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Quote:

The only reason Rivera talked about Newton in that inteview was because he was SPECIFICALLY ASKED about Newton. Twice. He made sure to add that he was considering "several other" quarterbacks and mentioned Locker and Gabbert by name. It's a bit of an urban myth. Ron was directly queried about Newton, said all the usual things, and all of a sudden he was "sold" on the guy. Not at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
hop off Gabberts d!cK! being a 5star recruit instead of a 4 star doesn't mean ****.
Read the forum rules, pal. You have a different opinion, fine. Learn to express it like an adult.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say I'm about 90% sure that this pick will be a QB.

Last edited by TACKLE : 03-02-2011 at 08:23 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe (hunch/gut feeling) that Marcell Dareus currently leads the Panthers board, but in the end, I think they will talk themselves into going with a QB here, and probably Blaine Gabbert.

I don't love Gabbert. I view Gabbert and Newton relatively close together. Newton has some advantages (better release point, cleaner motion), but Gabbert has more pocket poise, sees the field a bit better.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

Pat Kirwan has Gabbert going #3, Newton #4. Or at least to Buffalo and Cincy. I guess one team or other could move up in the draft to get their pick. Mariucci has Gabbert going to the Cards at #5, no Newton in his top 10.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM    (permalink
REDSKINSWARRIOR82
Rookie

REDSKINSWARRIOR82 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i Say Cam Newton, because qbs go high. and he is a physical freak.
REDSKINSWARRIOR82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINSWARRIOR82 View Post
i Say Cam Newton, because qbs go high. and he is a physical freak.
I was looking back at QB combine numbers and Duante Culpepper ran 4.55 at 255 pounds. With a 39" vertical! Plus the guy could throw the ball into the next county. Newton is certainly not more of a physical freak than he was.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was looking back at QB combine numbers and Duante Culpepper ran 4.55 at 255 pounds. With a 39" vertical! Plus the guy could throw the ball into the next county. Newton is certainly not more of a physical freak than he was.
you just got punked!!

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st overall pick? Cam Newton. Is he the right choice? I don't know. But the new head coach will want his QB and I believe it will be Newton. You already know the drill. Newton will shine during his Pro Day, wow everyone with his arm and athleticism, etc... Stock will rise again, one good interview and that's it.
Roddoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Gabbert right now. He's got the physical tools and seems to be intelligent with no character flags. Bradford and McCoy are evidence that Big 12 QBs from spread offenses can succeed in the NFL. If not Gabbert, I'm leaning Dareus.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd trade the pick to Jerry Jones.
He'll get Patrick Peterson #1, of course.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 AM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

I think there is only about 50% chance that Carolina keeps the pick. The #3, #4, and #5 teams picking in the draft all are in the market for a QB. Seems like a good chance that Carolina, and possibly Denver as well, trade down with their picks. Beyond the #5 pick, you have San Fran at #7, Tennessee #8, Dallas #9, and Washington #10. Any one of those teams might be inclined to trade up for a QB if they could. With a lively auction going on, Carolina and Denver will likely get very good offers and still be able to choose from the top defensive talent available.

The logical thing for Carolina to do, when you think about it, is to get a veteran through free agency or trade to carry the team for another year or two until a definite judgement can be made on Clausen. Remember, Jimmy was rated as highly last year going into the draft as Newton and Gabbert are this year.

Last edited by the natural : 03-03-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
until a definite judgement can be made on Clausen.
the jury is in... clausen sux.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think there is only about 50% chance that Carolina keeps the pick. The #3, #4, and #5 teams picking in the draft all are in the market for a QB. Seems like a good chance that Carolina, and possibly Denver as well, trade down with their picks. Beyond the #5 pick, you have San Fran at #7, Tennessee #8, Dallas #9, and Washington #10. Any one of those teams might be inclined to trade up for a QB if they could. With a lively auction going on, Carolina and Denver will likely get very good offers and still be able to choose from the top defensive talent available.

The logical thing for Carolina to do, when you think about it, is to get a veteran through free agency or trade to carry the team for another year or two until a definite judgement can be made on Clausen. Remember, Jimmy was rated as highly last year going into the draft as Newton and Gabbert are this year.
cause it is soooo easy to trade the 1st pick..

Sig by BK

Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crazy how many options there are for #1 right now...it's probably going to come down to one of the elite Dlinemen or a QB.
Bowers, Dareus, Fairley, Newton, or Gabbert... I'd put my money on Newton right now, but it seems no one has a good read on the situation.

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marcell Dareus > Nick Fairley.

DT is the biggest need in Carolina (outside of QB - but none of these guys are worth a #1 overall).

AJ Green is intriguing, but they do have a bunch of young WRs. They may opt for a few veterans instead.

Patrick Peterson is an option, definitely.

I can't see a LDE or a rush LB going #1 overall to Carolina.

The only 3 picks I could see are Dareus, Peterson, or Green and I am leaning towards Dareus.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

Quote:
the jury is in... clausen sux.
Clausen had better rookie numbers than John Elway did.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Clausen had better rookie numbers than John Elway did.
worst ******* argument ever.. tons of QB's had better rookie numbers then elway did but almost none are better.

Sig by BK