Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They play completely differently. HD coming out was viewed as a quick technician who was built for the slot. Titus is a deep threat who can also work the underneath stuff, has potential to move outside at some point.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Figured I'd post this. I always enjoy reading PFF, even if I disagree with some of the stuff. (Like Dahl in this post for example).

Harvey Dahl, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of 1st September 2011: 30

2010 Grade: +13.6

Key Stat: Third-ranked right guard for 2010.

Behind The Numbers: When you think of Harvey Dahl, there are a few phrases that have been programmed into us. “Nasty player” and “plays after the whistle” come to mind, but he’s more than that. Making the most of his talent, Dahl recovered from a poor season opener to have a great 2010. Rarely dominant, Dahl gets by and not making all that many mistakes. In a league lacking top quality linemen, that’s enough to make him a good one.

Justin Blalock, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of 1st September 2011: 27

2010 Grade: +10.1

Key Stat: Has improved on our grading every year since entering the league.

Behind The Numbers: A high pick from the Petrino regime, Blalock has been a testament to sticking with a guy. As a rookie he was terrible, as a sophomore not much better. But then in year number three he showed something (outside of an Albert Haynesworth mauling). Come 2010. it was like the development had finally borne consistently tasty fruit. Not a superstar, but an above-average player who has eliminated a lot of the mistakes that made evaluating him such a disappointment.

Tyson Clabo, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of September 1st 2011: 29

2010 Grade: +10.8

Key Stat: Gave up just one penalty on the year.

Behind The Numbers: Not the greatest athlete, Clabo is one of a host of Falcons linemen who are better for the unit they are in. Makes the most of his ability, and did a good job protecting his quarterback. You’d still like to see a right tackle more imposing in the run game on a consistent basis.

Stephen Nicholas, Atlanta Falcons, 4-3 OLB

Age as of September 1st 2011: 28

2010 Grade: +6.9

Key Stat: Had PFF’s top coverage grade among 4-3 OLB’s in 2010.

Behind The Numbers: Nicholas is an odd inclusion here as a linebacker that was stronger in coverage than against the run this season. Truth is, Nicholas was an average to slightly above average defender in both departments week-in and week-out, but showing the ability to cover tight ends and running backs will make him stand out when teams go shopping to fill that particular need. Consider him a counter piece to James Anderson (thoughly clearly notches down) when looking at free agents on the strongside.

Brent Grimes, Atlanta

Age as of September 1st 2011: 28

Free Agent Status: 3 years accrued

2010 Grade: +9.3

Key Stat: His 16 pass deflections were second in the NFL this year

Behind the numbers: Grimes is another guy, like Wilson, who preaches the importance of patient development. After struggling in both 2008 and 2009, most assumed it would be big money free agent Dunta Robinson who would turn around Atlanta’s secondary but Grimes was firmly enshrined as the Falcons’ number one cornerback by the end of the year. Still a little inconsistent (he had more negative games – 10 – than positive ones), when he’s “on” there aren’t many better. The fact he’ll likely be an restricted free agent when a new CBA is signed means he doesn’t hold as much value as those above.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Not when you get my hopes down you're not.
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here. Just the opposite, I don't think the falcons need to go out and sign any marquee free agents. Last year they had the second best record in the NFL despite the fact that most of their key defenders were either very young or hurting. I think as long as they continue to draft well and can stay healthy they'll be fine. To be honest with you I'm much more concerned that another team will lure away dimitroff.
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRWRTR View Post
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here. Just the opposite, I don't think the falcons need to go out and sign any marquee free agents. Last year they had the second best record in the NFL despite the fact that most of their key defenders were either very young or hurting. I think as long as they continue to draft well and can stay healthy they'll be fine. To be honest with you I'm much more concerned that another team will lure away dimitroff.
always drafting young players is nice but even the best teams go out and get a solid/elite vet who can come in and be that last missing piece to put them over the top.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
OGDraft
Rookie

OGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

As the draft gets closer and closer the more I feel that Leonard Hankerson will be our pick at 27, or possibly if we trade down a few spots.
OGDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be down for Hank. I like him a lot.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

Just a funny feeling Justin Houston will be the 27th pick.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconguru View Post
Just a funny feeling Justin Houston will be the 27th pick.
Is that after we trade down? lol. yea im feeling the same way.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

I don't think we are trading down.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I think a trade up is more likely than a trade down. I suspect TD could intervene mid-way through a run on DEs (or maybe even OTs).

Using the draft value chart, our 1st and 3rd would get us up to 21, which wouldn't be good enough to get us ahead of the Bucs. We'd also need to throw in our 4th to get to 19.

I'd definitely do that for Robert Quinn, Von Miller, or Julio Jones (all unlikely to slip even to #19), would strongly consider it for Kerrigan, Cam Jordan, or Aldon Smith (who may well be there at #19), and might even do it for the high-upside tackles Tyron Smith or Solder.

The downside is that 3rd/4th is exactly where we would get the speed RB that we all agree we need... Is there any possibility of getting a third-round comp pick? I think we were a buyer not a seller in free agency last year. Could someone like Devine last til the 5th?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

In 08 the Jags traded 2 3rd rounders and a 4th along with pick 26 to get up to number 8. Let's do something like that.

Seriously though, I'm willing to bet we stand pat. The quotes from TD have been more encouraging that he's willing to make the jump for an impact player, but he's a guy who places a value on everything and refuses to exceed it. (I remember hearing an interview in which he basically said he really wanted to get back into round 2 last year, but the right deal just wasn't there.)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Exactly ATLDirtyBirds! TD's history is he usally stands pat so I'm not getting my hopes up to jump up in the draft. Since so many teams need a good def end its going to be hard to get a decent one at 27. I think Houston will be available at 27 come the Falcon's pick but wouldn't expect anyone else to fall(Kerrigan,Smith,Clayborn) or guys like Quinn to even come close to the Falcon's pick.

If Houston isn't available or the Falcon's like another player at another position to fill a need it wouldn't surprise me they go that way also.. If both another player at different position and a def end who is available 27 then the def end would be the pick. It really comes down how do the Falcon's have their big board set up and not to overdraft someone to much. Green Bay's GM Ted Thompson makes it a point not to overdraft and use the value come their picks which is why they are so successful.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
always drafting young players is nice but even the best teams go out and get a solid/elite vet who can come in and be that last missing piece to put them over the top.
Maybe you're right but not having a CBA affects what teams would normally do in free agency. Plus dimitroff coming out of the pats system makes me think if he is to sign a fa it'll be a guy none of us have heard of who'll they get for cheap.

I would love to see hankerson in atlanta but I can't see them not taking a DE with their first pick.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see the Falcons taking Hankerson, he has this all about me attitude that will drive TD away.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

Quote:
I can't see the Falcons taking Hankerson, he has this all about me attitude that will drive TD away.
I think that's a character trait for all guys who come from the U...but it hasn't stopped guys like sapp, irvin, K2, and ray lewis(and plenty of others) from being productive players.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRWRTR View Post
I think that's a character trait for all guys who come from the U...but it hasn't stopped guys like sapp, irvin, K2, and ray lewis(and plenty of others) from being productive players.
That's not the issue. The issue is weather TD will draft a guy like him, and it's not all guys from the U. Spencer Adkins is a very quiet guy.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Wait, what? I think you are making assumptions based on where he goes to college. I've seen absolutely nothing to imply that he's got any kind of those tendencies. And even if he did, what would you call Spoon, Dunta, Roddy, etc.?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hankerson just sounds more like a thug to me.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-08-2011, 03:18 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hankerson just sounds more like a thug to me.
Hankserson seems like one of the nicest players in the draft.. maybe thats just the vibe i get.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

If Robert Quinn drops out of the top 10, we definitely have to look at every possibility of trading up for him.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Would you be willing to give up a no1 next year with our 27th pick? I haven't looked at the trade chart but it would seem we would have to give up alot to get to 11th or in that area.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I was hoping we just give up Jamaal Anderson and keep #27.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
OGDraft
Rookie

OGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairOGDraft is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

There are no questions at all about Hankersons character, I don't know where you got the impression of him being a "thug".

I also think if we do make a move, we'd be more likely to trade up. It's been a lot easier to trade up in recent drafts, at least easier than the value chart would indicate, and I can see us trading up for Kerrigan or Justin Houston. Then again I wonder if it's something TD would do.
OGDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconguru View Post
Would you be willing to give up a no1 next year with our 27th pick? I haven't looked at the trade chart but it would seem we would have to give up alot to get to 11th or in that area.

We wouldn't have to give up that much. But I'd be willing to trade most of the rest of our draft to move up for Quinn, no doubt.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

The way I look at it is the positions that are most valuable on a team corner,QB,def end,left tackle are key areas. If Quinn indeed is a possible sure fire pro bowler then it would be worth the gamble to get him. Still there are many prospects that don't live up to the hype but you do have to take a chance once in a while. I don't think this will be the draft the Falcon's trade a ton to get a player like Quinn. We need playmakers and now its up to TD to find them and get them on the roster.