Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who will the Panthers take with the 1st Overall pick?
Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson* 34 24.46%
Nick Fairley DT Auburn* 31 22.30%
Cam Newton QB Auburn* 40 28.78%
AJ Green WR Georgia* 5 3.60%
Patrick Peterson DB LSU* 9 6.47%
Robert Quinn DE UNC* 6 4.32%
Marcell Dareus DT Alabama* 14 10.07%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly. This was the MLIVE guy on March 19, 2009.
Quote:
When asked about the first pick, Kowalski sticks to his guns, saying the Lions are most likely to grab a left tackle with the first pick of the draft.
I wouldn't be surprised if the team asks him to put a story like that.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Does it make any sense for Carolina to take a project QB, like Cam Newton #1?
Not at all, damn sports writers are so quick to forget about Jimmy Clausen.
Give the kid time, Cam Newton to the panthers would be such a pathetic pick.
I say they trade it to Dallas.
It's similar logic but if the Panthers think Newton will be a stud they have to take him. Look at the Dolphins for example, yeah Jake Long is an All pro but they passed up on a franchise QB in Matt Ryan because they already had a young QB with potential in Chad Henne. Same thing goes here, if Rivera and crew really believe they can turn Newton into a franchise QB they'd be dumb to pass on him because of Jimmy Claussen. Only the Panthers FO knows what they should do.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP : 03-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
It's similar logic but if the Panthers think Newton will be a stud they have to take him. Look at the Dolphins for example, yeah Joe Thomas is an All pro but they passed up on a franchise QB in Matt Ryan because they already had a young QB with potential in Chad Henne. Same thing goes here, if Rivera and crew really believe they can turn Newton into a franchise QB they'd be dumb to pass on him because of Jimmy Claussen. Only the Panthers FO knows what they should do.
Tony Sparano is wishing Parcells got him Matt Ryan instead. Carolina will learn from that and take Newton. Claussen is a nice backup.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Tony Sparano is wishing Parcells got him Matt Ryan instead. Carolina will learn from that and take Newton. Claussen is a nice backup.
Thank God Oakland went with JaMarcus Russell so Cleveland could 'settle' for Joe Thomas.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was definitely Parcells decision and in his later years, Parcells came to believe you could win with a veteran QB and downgraded the position in his drafts. It really cost the Dolphins in the end.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yup I think you have to go QB. Claussen isn't being paid anymore than a good backup gets paid so they shouldn't feel tied down to him. The biggest factor though is that there is no clear cut better player to justify not getting a franchise QB. The only guy who I think you could justify taking #1 is Peterson, but taking a DB at #1 is risky business, and even if he is an all pro from day 1 what are the chances the Panthers overall are any better.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Thank God Oakland went with JaMarcus Russell so Cleveland could 'settle' for Joe Thomas.
Seeing the Raiders QB situation still, you can't argue that Jamarcus was the wrong pick. Who would have thought that he'd becomes so damn lazy. It's easy to say now that it was an awful pick but at the time I had no problem with Jamarcus going #1 overall even if he wasn't the bpa. If you don't have a franchise QB that should be your #1 concern.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Seeing the Raiders QB situation still, you can't argue that Jamarcus was the wrong pick. Who would have thought that he'd becomes so damn lazy. It's easy to say now that it was an awful pick but at the time I had no problem with Jamarcus going #1 overall even if he wasn't the bpa. If you don't have a franchise QB that should be your #1 concern.
QB should be your #1 concern, but in order to take a quarterback #1 overall, you have to believe he's the best option or very close. JaMarcus Russell wasn't. Cameron Newton isn't (in my opinion).
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Beyond the lazyness and the weight gain he just wasnt accurate with the Raiders, especially early on. When i watched him at LSU i thought he hung his receivers out to dry on a regular basis. He shouldnt have gone before Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson but that caliber of player is not in the conversation this year i dont think.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

with all of the hate coming out for gabbert, i think its time for everyone to come back to thread like this one and look back on the natural and others defending his sorry excuse for quarterback play.

also: what happened to the pudge? hes been MIA for a lot of this season anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
Pudge:
you grade him as a second rounder? Honestly, I'll give him 3-5 round grade right now because he supposedly did well in interviews (something im not privy to). Hes got a solid arm, can extend plays, and size...and thats it. Thats all. His footwork is eh, his accuracy is inconsistent, idk i really dont see it with him.

You said his pocket prescense was poor? Lets not sugar coat it, its freaking atrocious. If his first read isnt open (and he doesnt just force the throw anyway), he runs from the pocket, whether his pocket was perfect or not. if he stayed in school i think he wouldve had a snead like free fall. He looks scared to me, not something you want in a guy trying to lead men.
Quote:
Gabbert is big with an arm. Thats really all he has.

Hes inaccurate, showed little ability to make reads, made questionable decisions, and seems abrasive and not the leader type. Id be very dissappointed if i was the fan of a team that took him with the intention of making him the franchise qb.
nice try gabs, even I, a man who championed Jawalrus, could not be fooled by you you waste of space.

Last edited by hockey619 : 12-17-2011 at 01:10 AM.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
also: what happened to the pudge? hes been MIA for a lot of this season anyone know?
I think someone said he got married, so his balls were cut off.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:50 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hockey69 owes everyone an explanation of why he was leading the Nate Davis fan club a couple of years ago. Nate Davis is now a backup in Arena football. She needs to defend Davis' sorry excuse for Arena League play.

Quote:
And I hate Stafford as a prospect, hes got an arm.....and thats it. Nothing special in production or anything compared to my personal fav, Nate Davis.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...#post 1190821
Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
He started posting on the other site(forgot the name draftsomething.com)only, IDK if he still post there.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Marrying a praying mantis is always a bad decision, no matter how pretty she may be.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
hockey69 owes everyone an explanation of why he was leading the Nate Davis fan club a couple of years ago. Nate Davis is now a backup in Arena football. She needs to defend Davis' sorry excuse for Arena League play.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...#post 1190821
haha oh yes one of my finer picks. I didnt know he had a developmental issue. and was apparently fairly lazy.

then again, on the very rare occassions you do commit to something in a post other than backhanded sarcastic drivel or some general sweeping psychological observation (everyone always knocks the first round qb's to be different) it doesnt work out well for you either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Assuming he stays healthy, I believe he'll [Gabbert] be a good starting QB.
i only got you to give an opinion on him after posts of not really committing to any view of him at all. at least i have the nuts to make a call and admit i was wrong.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hasn't stopped me from posting in here.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Beyond the lazyness and the weight gain he just wasnt accurate with the Raiders, especially early on. When i watched him at LSU i thought he hung his receivers out to dry on a regular basis. He shouldnt have gone before Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson but that caliber of player is not in the conversation this year i dont think.
I disagree, on talent alone he was a sure fire franchise QB. Unfortunately we don't have access to the man himself, so there is no way we would know how lazy and uninterested he was in pro football. He put nothing into the game and as a result, he was doomed to flop.
Oakland under Al Davis, probably was the worst franchise that could have drafted him since they are known as an undisciplined team and he needed strong discipline right out of the gate. Maybe if he had been drafted by a team with a tough HC and a strong locker room, he might have developed normally and been successful, but we will never know.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great bump.

In hindsight, too much love for Gabbert. Too little faith in Newton.
PP doesn't look like the 2nd coming of Champ Bailey.

When Mallett finally gets on the field as a starter for a team not named the Patriots, I think we will look back at this QB class as being one of the strongest in recent memory.

Just hope that Mallett isn't on Hurd's list of preferred clientele.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Hasn't stopped me from posting in here.
then, clearly, you have a cool wife.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

It is definitely a group that surprised a lot of people both in its quality and depth.

We are just beginning to see the effects of junior QB's declaring on mass, in an era where college QB's are throwing the ball a ton. It wasn't too long ago, that even the best college QB's were on teams that ran the ball significantly more than they threw it, making judging them for the next level, extremely difficult.

College QB's are far more ready to play in the NFL today because they are throwing the ball 3x as much in college, they are simply far more pro ready than previous generations of QB's were.

While we seem to worry about systems and technique, the fact is, these QB's have a ton more experience in throwing a ball during game conditions.

Getting back to declaring as juniors, I don't think even pro scouts and GM's have completely caught up with the idea. There is a huge gap in maturity between most senior and junior QB's, so when pro scouts interview them and watch them play, they are reluctant to throw their full weight behind them, they can see the potential but the rawness scares them quite a bit.

No doubt talent evaluators will catch up with rating junior QB's, after all, they have no choice, and they will make firmer predictions about prospects ceilings and potential.

What is interesting is that this year's crop of QB's appears to be even better, should make the NFL an interesting place for close competition.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Great bump.

In hindsight, too much love for Gabbert. Too little faith in Newton.
PP doesn't look like the 2nd coming of Champ Bailey.

When Mallett finally gets on the field as a starter for a team not named the Patriots, I think we will look back at this QB class as being one of the strongest in recent memory.

Just hope that Mallett isn't on Hurd's list of preferred clientele.
^ haha i hope mallett is clean, he could be so good. saw a game from last year of his, he really could be a damn good qb if he puts his heart into it. and no coke.

as for the bold, i was very guilty of this as well. I thought his shotty footwork would be a much bigger problem for him but he has already made great strides in that department.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 AM    (permalink
MI_Buckeye
Veteran

MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MI_Buckeye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh. I think everyone knew Gabbert was a long-term project, and given his CFL cast of receivers, I think it is way too early to write him off. He has the head, work ethic and physical ability to play at a very high level eventually.

Remember, Rick Meier was better than Drew Bledsoe as a rookie, and Tony Eason was better than John Elway. Heck there were even rumors of the Pack being so frustrated with Aaron Rodgers that they were willing to spend the No. 5 pick the next year on Jay Cutler.
MI_Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote