Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best collegiate coaching staff?

Just read an article about Super Bowl winning coach Mike McCarthy, and this staff he was part of at Pitt blew me away.

Can anyone recall a better, deeper staff than this one?
Probably there are, but this is pretty impressive.

Quote:
It was at Pitt, as Alex Van Pelt’s quarterbacks coach on a staff that included Jon Gruden, Marvin Lewis, John Fox and Chris Petersen, that Mike McCarthy’s career got the nudge it needed. Two years later, he was coaching for Schottenheimer, a Pitt alum, in Kansas City, where McCarthy was an offensive assistant who worked with Joe Montana.

“You look back on that stuff. I was so blessed. That was a helluva staff,” McCarthy said of his days at Pitt.
The Alex Van Pelt part confuses me a bit, but what a staff for a college team.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 AM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not as deep but Bobby Bowden, Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells were on the same staff together at FSU.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
Not as deep but Bobby Bowden, Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells were on the same staff together at FSU.
Wow, that's f**** powerful right there.
More wins, Super Bowls, and NCAA titles than any other group probably.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now USC's big 3 is pretty impressive as far as the college game. When you bring into account recruiting and football knowledge the Kiffen's and Orgeron are pretty damn good.

Monte needs to shape up his defense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having Kirby Smart as their DC has made Alabama a magnet for defensive prospects.

A lot of their winning with defense can be attributed to Smart who may just be the best DC in the country now that Jimbo Fisher is a HC.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Having Kirby Smart as their DC has made Alabama a magnet for defensive prospects.

A lot of their winning with defense can be attributed to Smart who may just be the best DC in the country now that Jimbo Fisher is a HC.
Umm....Jimbo is an offensive coach.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Umm....Jimbo is an offensive coach.
Maybe he meant Muschamp?
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll have to look them up when I get home, but Iowa in the 80s I believe had some great staffs under Hayden Fry, at least in terms of college personas.

Barry Alvarez, Ferentz, Bielema, Bill Snyder to name a few. Probably not all at the same time, but I know there's more too.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Just read an article about Super Bowl winning coach Mike McCarthy, and this staff he was part of at Pitt blew me away.

Can anyone recall a better, deeper staff than this one?
Probably there are, but this is pretty impressive.

The Alex Van Pelt part confuses me a bit, but what a staff for a college team.
He was the QB coach for Alex Van Pelt at Pitt, and Van Pelt is now the QB coach for Josh Freeman in Tampa. Pretty relevant imo.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Right now USC's big 3 is pretty impressive as far as the college game. When you bring into account recruiting and football knowledge the Kiffen's and Orgeron are pretty damn good.

Monte needs to shape up his defense though.
ill give you that usc's assistents are impressive

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
ill give you that usc's assistents are impressive
Yeah, Monte is arguably one of the best DC's to ever coach regardless of division. Orgeron is a top notch assistant and a recruiting ace, along with Kiffen he is probably the best recruiter in the nation.

While, Im mixed on my opinion of Lane being a great head guy...his knowledge of football is great. Hes a great x's and o's guy on offense....but I think he struggles as a head guy....hopefully that changes.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure keylime can probably pull this up pretty quickly to flesh it out more, but the staff at Ohio State where Woody Hayes had Lou Holtz as various position coaching positions was pretty sick

Oh, and Army with Blake, Lombardi, etc right around the time of their ridiculous academic scandal... pretty good

Last edited by wonderbredd24 : 03-10-2011 at 03:17 PM.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

can't remember all the guys on that 1968 staff, but Lou Holtz is the one everyone remembers. I know we had Bo Schembecler in the late '50s/early '60s on Woody's first staffs.

In I think 1982 or 1983 Ohio State had a pretty decent coaching staff under Earl Bruce with Dom Capers, Glen Mason, and Jim Tressel. Too bad Pete Carroll didn't stick around (I think he left after '79), that would've been an all-timer staff.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So not really all on the same staff, save for a few overlaps, but here are guys that coached under Hayden Fry at Iowa in the 70s and 80s:

Barry Alvarez, Bill Snyder, Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, Bret Bielema, Jim Leavitt, Bo Pelini, Dan McCarney, Chuck Long.

Snyder, Alvarez, Stoops, Ferentz, and McCarney all together in 1983. All minus Stoops from 81-86.

That's 2 legendary coaches and 2 considered to be very good current coaches on one staff.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Maybe he meant Muschamp?
Yes I did, Florida not FSU.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote