Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

http://www.csnbayarea.com/03/10/11/4...07&feedID=5936

Franklin looks like he is trying to get a big payday this offseason. What do you folks think they will do about it?

IMO they have a few options:
1. Resign him
2. Start Jean-Francois
3. Start Sopo
4. Draft a rookie to compete (Dareus, Taylor or Paea)
5. Sign a cheaper option (Jamal Williams, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Kris Jenkins)
6. Sign a younger option (Brandon Mebane, Alan Branch, Antonio Johnson

To me, this is one of the biggest pickles the team faces.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good actually . Hes 31 years old for a DT so probably not much production is left in him. So either a FA will be picked and maybe first round draft pick too at DT depending on BPA at our number 7 pick.Dang there goes our chance at locker unless he slips into round 2.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
What do you folks think they will do about it?

IMO they have a few options:
1. Resign him
2. Start Jean-Francois
3. Start Sopo
4. Draft a rookie to compete (Dareus, Taylor or Paea)
5. Sign a cheaper option (Jamal Williams, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Kris Jenkins)
6. Sign a younger option (Brandon Mebane, Alan Branch, Antonio Johnson.
I think they take a rookie and throw him in there with RJF to compete.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gabbert's biggest issue won't be taking a snap. The snap issue isn't even what most people think it is. The physical part is the easy part of it. It's keeping your head up and reading the defence while dropping back that guys have to learn. He already had multiple reads in his system, he will just have to do it from a different perspective. To me, his biggest issue will be throwing a consistent deep ball and dealing better with pressure.

I really wanted Locker to be the guy, but he hasn't grown. Sark dumbed things down for him and he still couldn't read half a field consistently this year and he was a senior. That is really slow development. He didn't keep his eyes up and I really wonder how long it will take to turn him into an NFL quarterback. How long do people think it will take? How long do you want to wait? How long will ownership stay with another coaching staff if they keep losing while waiting to develop the next quarterback? That's my fear with Locker is that it will be 3 or 4 years until he figures out how to play the position and then we start to think playoffs in year 4 or 5. That's most likely a coaching change if that happens and probably another new quarterback. How's that sound?

Can Harbaugh speed the learning curve up for this guy in the pros when Sarkisian couldn't do it for him in college?

FWIW, I like Ponder more than any of the guys rated above him. He's smart, can move in the pocket and his arm is good enough for a WCO as long as the team executes. He can still be coached up to reduce some of his WTF moments and his arm strength can be improved over time. (Brees and Brady should be more than enough proof that an adequate arm can get a guy by while it gets stronger) Hitching my wagon to a guy that missed that much time bothers me though. Also, I'm a Noles fan through and through so I'm biased towards him and know that part of me wants it and I may be ignoring the downside a bit too much.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
FWIW, I like Ponder more than any of the guys rated above him. He's smart, can move in the pocket and his arm is good enough for a WCO as long as the team executes. He can still be coached up to reduce some of his WTF moments and his arm strength can be improved over time. (Brees and Brady should be more than enough proof that an adequate arm can get a guy by while it gets stronger) Hitching my wagon to a guy that missed that much time bothers me though. Also, I'm a Noles fan through and through so I'm biased towards him and know that part of me wants it and I may be ignoring the downside a bit too much.
I've been a fan of Ponder since that '09 UNC game. He was throwing all over the field and I loved that he was able to come back. He only missed three games this past season, so it wasnt like he missed too much time.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Franklin is a low mileage 31. He was picked as a late developing type guy and that's what he was. It took him a long time to get a starting job and he asn't used heavily before then. He has a lot less wear and tear on his body than most nose tackles his age. His joints are a lot cleaner than most big men so to devalue him strictly on age probably isn't the best way to go.

Willis loves the guy. A nose that makes #52's job easier is doing something right and shouldn't be dismissed so readily.

Whether the team can re-sign him or not is going to depend a lot on the cap and what other team that wants a nose has room. I'm sure Franklin has friends he would like to stay here. He gets to stay with his line coach that the guys like a lot and there is new energy here with Sing being ousted. Hell, Spikes may even stick around now that he's gone. In the end, my feeling is a big offer from another team will take him away from us and we will have to start RJF and find a 3-5 round type to develop.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our second might be a little high for Dalton. I'd like to use a 3rd on him though. The only QB I want with that pick is Ponder. If we traded that pick for Palmer, so be it, I bet we are in the playoffs next year with that move....it all depends on what Harbaugh thinks.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Thought this was a great write up by Eric Branch on Crabtree.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...atch-on-later/
Dude better improve. He was directly responsible for 3 of the team's first 5 interceptions, which is freaking pathetic for a #1 WR...pathetic.

..and he's slow as hell.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
and he's slow as hell.
his game is not built on speed, it's about running good routes and YAC

Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think our second might be a little high for Dalton. I'd like to use a 3rd on him though. The only QB I want with that pick is Ponder. If we traded that pick for Palmer, so be it, I bet we are in the playoffs next year with that move....it all depends on what Harbaugh thinks.
Uhhhmmm, yeah. Agree.

A 3rd for:

A) Ponder, or failing that
B) Dalton, but

No Palmer. Don't want him. No thanx, he;s an overrated arrogant prick IMO whose production has seriously declined, I don't see anything there that would make me think he could resurrect his career in SF.

Thank God Donahue isnt running the show anymore -- he would throw the ranch away to Cincy to get Palmer. Everything Donahue touched turned to ****.

I think a rookie is needed in Camp to push Alex Smith, with whom the team seems to be stuck, that would be a win-win.

Somewhere in the back of his deepest Wish List Harbaugh still holds out hope for Andrew Luck falling into his lap in 2012, the Marriage Made In Heaven. Odds are overwhelmingly against it since the 9ers would have to finish 1-15 this season to draft him #1 overall.

But everything else in this chaotic lockout season with no CBA in place is up in the air, so it costs nada to wish & hope.....

Last edited by LizardState : 03-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
his game is not built on speed, it's about running good routes and YAC
which he's also sucked at.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Crabs would be a helluva dodgeball player.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crabtree definitely regressed in his second season which is why if Peterson, Prince and Miller are all gone by 7 but Green is still there, I draft him if I cant get a good trade package. Crabtree knows he's the team's number one receiver and there's nothing to challenge or prevent him from being just that so if he wants to just go through the motions, he can do so because he doesnt have the work ethic that's required of him. Drafting Green changes all of that in a heartbeat because Crabtree would then know that he isnt automatically the team's number one receiver and will have to work his ass off in order to be just that.

With that said, I would still try to trade down if possible but only if im getting equal or better value in return. If not, I draft Green and move on.
dan77733 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With great players that may be available at much bigger positions of need, I'm still struggling with the idea that it's possible that they take Green at #7, even if he is BPA. Would it really make the team better? Ignoring a bigger need and taking a WR instead of a more impacting position such as QB or pass rusher or lockdown corner may not make the team better, even if Green turns out to be a great player. He'd have to be an elite game-changer like Andre or Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald to be worth the 7th pick IMO.

He does seem to have good potential but some scouts have Julio Jones rated higher, leaving me to doubt if he really is a Calvin Johnson type prospect and clear #1 WR in the Draft.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt draft Green over Peterson or Prince but after them two, I probably would if I couldnt trade down. No QB is worth the 7th overall draft pick in my opinion and none of them are worth more than Green. Miller is 50/50 only because of the comparisons made to Gholston. I have more confidence in Green than I do with Miller. As for Julio, I still have Green ranked ahead of him. Combine numbers dont mean much if anything. I've seen videos of Green and Julio and Green just looks more explosive and dynamic but thats just my own personal opinion.
dan77733 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dude better improve. He was directly responsible for 3 of the team's first 5 interceptions, which is freaking pathetic for a #1 WR...pathetic.

..and he's slow as hell.
I think he will make a big jump with the offense we are running. He was underwhelming last season but considering the offense that was ran it was not surprising. I just hope Harbaugh does not give him a free pass through training camp like Sing did. But looking at the stats compared to the other WRs at this point in their career it is hard not to be excited about him entering year 3 where most big time WRs make that jump. .
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I wouldnt draft Green over Peterson or Prince but after them two, I probably would if I couldnt trade down. No QB is worth the 7th overall draft pick in my opinion and none of them are worth more than Green. Miller is 50/50 only because of the comparisons made to Gholston. I have more confidence in Green than I do with Miller. As for Julio, I still have Green ranked ahead of him. Combine numbers dont mean much if anything. I've seen videos of Green and Julio and Green just looks more explosive and dynamic but thats just my own personal opinion.
Really? One scout makes it a 50/50 on drafting Von Miller? Check a lot of the scouts online and all of them disagree with Dave Rizzano opinion.

Matt Barrows first mock draft comes out:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...raft-epis.html

Quote:
7. Patrick Peterson, CB. Yowsers. The Peterson v. Von Miller debate gets put to the test in this scenario. Niners conclude that Peterson is slightly closer to being Charles Woodson than Miller is to being Clay Matthews.

31. Colin Kaepernick, QB. Reno goes nuts after Jim Harbaugh taps the raw but supremely gifted Kaepernick as his next quarterback project. Baalke makes the move because none of the three QBs the team has circled -- Ponder, Kaepernick and Andy Dalton -- figures to be there when he picks in the second round.

Patrick Peterson vs Von Miller would be awesome to come done to but man would that be a tough choice to make.

I have no problem moving up for Kaepernick. 49ers have the extra picks to do it and they should use those picks to position themselves for a QB because there will be slim pickings at pick #45.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Patrick Peterson vs Von Miller would be awesome to come done to but man would that be a tough choice to make.

I have no problem moving up for Kaepernick. 49ers have the extra picks to do it and they should use those picks to position themselves for a QB because there will be slim pickings at pick #45.
*checking in from Serbia*

I like Von, but I'd easily select Pat Pete over him at #7.

I find it hard to believe that Kaepernick, Ponder, and Dalton will all be gone before our 2nd round pick rolls around...
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Love Barrows but moving up in the 2nd to grab Kaepernick is a freakin' joke. If a QB isn't there, no need to force the issue, this class blows anyways.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
If a QB isn't there, no need to force the issue, this class blows anyways.
I think the feeling is that they need to get one QB because there is no way to tell who will be available at free agency (and trades are looking pricey), and right now all we have on the roster is David Carr. I'm not discounting Greg McElroy in like the 5th, either.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
*checking in from Serbia*

I like Von, but I'd easily select Pat Pete over him at #7.

I find it hard to believe that Kaepernick, Ponder, and Dalton will all be gone before our 2nd round pick rolls around...
I am still unsure. This team has been lacking a pass rusher since the days of Andre Carter (makes me feel old) and I feel with free agency likely to open after the draft CB can be filled through there.

But then again to have a guy as talented fall to #7 really would warrant no complaint from me on draft day.

Ponder is going to go late first round and I do not see Kaepernick making it through the first 10 picks of round 2. I love the potential of Kaepernick and he really reminds me of Josh Freeman. If they resign Alex it would give them the ability to be competitive (that comment will probably start another thread war) and let Kaepernick sit and watch.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moving up in the 2nd to grab Kaepernick would be a huge reach for a project QB. He does have skills but is very raw and should be available when the Niners pick in the 2nd (and possible the 3rd) round if they want to take a shot on him. Investing a 2nd Round pick would be a big enough investment, without having to trade more to move up.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Moving up in the 2nd to grab Kaepernick would be a huge reach for a project QB. He does have skills but is very raw and should be available when the Niners pick in the 2nd (and possible the 3rd) round if they want to take a shot on him. Investing a 2nd Round pick would be a big enough investment, without having to trade more to move up.
My feelings are with no FA before the draft there will be a run on QBs. The only guy I feel sure about being at pick #45 is Dalton. I think at least 5 QBs (Cam, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kaepernick) are going to be gone before our 2nd round pick.

I also think with the break between day 1 and day 2 teams will try and position themselves near the top of the board to snag a QB. In round 2 Buffalo, Cincy, Ari, Ten, Wash, and Minn are all above the 49ers and will all be looking for QBs if they don't come away with one in round 1.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My feelings are with no FA before the draft there will be a run on QBs. The only guy I feel sure about being at pick #45 is Dalton. I think at least 5 QBs (Cam, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kaepernick) are going to be gone before our 2nd round pick.

I also think with the break between day 1 and day 2 teams will try and position themselves near the top of the board to snag a QB. In round 2 Buffalo, Cincy, Ari, Ten, Wash, and Minn are all above the 49ers and will all be looking for QBs if they don't come away with one in round 1.
I think your reasoning is sound - there's a good chance there will be a run on quarterbacks and trading up to secure one of them is a real possibility.

However, if I'm going to be trading up, it's not going to b for Kaepernick. I would trade up for Ponder, but let the rest go. As you said, Dalton will still be around and Stanzi's name has gone by the wayside in draft talks but he's cut from the same cloth as these second tier guys.

If there is a ridiculous run on quarterbacks and Ponder looks to be extremely difficult to get - then I would stick to the board. I know we need a QB -but we also need a CB and a pass rusher, and if 5 guys from a position outside of those two needs go, then that means more will be available for us to take.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Really? One scout makes it a 50/50 on drafting Von Miller? Check a lot of the scouts online and all of them disagree with Dave Rizzano opinion.

Matt Barrows first mock draft comes out:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...raft-epis.html

I found it very interesting that Barrows said we "circled" the names of 3 QB's- Ponder, Kapernick, and Dalton. I think at least one of those three (Dalton?) will make it to 45, but will Plan A at QB fall to 45? Or Will Plan B or C fall to 45? Do we want to settle for Plan C? How much of a difference is there between the three in Harbaugh's eyes? A lot of questions to answer, haha. Regardless, a draft where we can get a top CB prospect in the mold of Charles Woodson and a QB prospect that Jim Harbaugh wants to mold into his franchise guy are fine with me. I'm very confident in Harbaugh's ability to find a QB until i have no reason not to be, so to me it seems like we could get two franchise guys in the 1st with this approach. Only downside is that still leaves needs like NT and OLB, which we would probably have to spend our next 2 picks on.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote