Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

..because what you do in college is the sole indicator of how your game will project in the NFL. What a long waste of words from that guy.
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta love the post talking about games vs top competition, but not including Missouri vs #1 Oklahoma. Way to break it down...
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really haven't taken a side to any of the qbs this year. I'm pulling for Locker, but not really picking him apart and saying if he will make it or bust.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Gotta love the post talking about games vs top competition, but not including Missouri vs #1 Oklahoma. Way to break it down...
So are you on the gabbert bandwagon? because so far youve come in and dropped a bunch of comments without offering any personal evaluation of gabbert or saying you think he'll be good or fail miserably.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have made my case:
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/search.php
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Sarcastro
Rookie

Sarcastro hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Or Texas A&M.
Sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gabbert's pro day wasn't even that good. Personally, he's grouped in the same category as Locker, except he's got better size and arguably better intangibles. I can't believe scouts, and respected pundits like Mayock, are actually praising this guy for the top overall selection.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFLN had Jon Jansen (former Redskins OT) on and were asking him about who he'd prefer between Newton and Gabbert. And he said Gabbert because he doesn't "like a guy who will just take off and run - as an offensive lineman you like a guy who will be cool in the pocket and you can know where he is."

That made me laugh.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Gabbert's pro day wasn't even that good. Personally, he's grouped in the same category as Locker, except he's got better size and arguably better intangibles. I can't believe scouts, and respected pundits like Mayock, are actually praising this guy for the top overall selection.
Agreed. On the last page I noted that he struggled throwing over the middle, which is consistent with what you see on the field. His NFL WRs are going to get drilled and struggle getting YAC, or they're going to end up in the hospital with the way Gabbert tends to sail his balls over the middle.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
NFLN had Jon Jansen (former Redskins OT) on and were asking him about who he'd prefer between Newton and Gabbert. And he said Gabbert because he doesn't "like a guy who will just take off and run - as an offensive lineman you like a guy who will be cool in the pocket and you can know where he is."

That made me laugh.
hahaha i was watching that and thought of this thread when he said that, i looked over at my brother and was like thats bs gabbert takes off at the first sign of football being played.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

That made me laugh.
His opinion doesn't matter. You want the best football player, period. And that's Cam Newton here.

I have faith that the league scouts won't **** up this evaluation. This would almost be as bad as when Chad Pennington was the top QB selected in his draft year, except he was nowhere near the top selection.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
hahaha i was watching that and thought of this thread when he said that, i looked over at my brother and was like thats bs gabbert takes off at the first sign of football being played.
It honestly makes me wonder if anybody on TV has even watched a single ******* game that he's played in. I've only seen two (one from 2009 and the Illinois game this past season) and saw a chicken running around with its head cut off for four quarters.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So are you on the gabbert bandwagon? because so far youve come in and dropped a bunch of comments without offering any personal evaluation of gabbert or saying you think he'll be good or fail miserably.
I think he's a talented QB prospect who has a lot of the qualities needed to be an effective starting QB in today's NFL. I don't view him as 'can't miss' or anything, but NFL teams can't wait to find a can't miss QB. Other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any QB in this Draft or college that strike me a significantly better prospect than Gabbert. Assuming he stays healthy, I believe he'll be a good starting QB.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It honestly makes me wonder if anybody on TV has even watched a single ******* game that he's played in. I've only seen two (one from 2009 and the Illinois game this past season) and saw a chicken running around with its head cut off for four quarters.
Haha, that's a great analogy! That's really what it seemed like during most of the game action that I saw the last two years. I don't know what Jon Jansen is talking about, because this guy isn't the 'cool, calm and collected' type of QB when in the pocket; he panics a lot of the time when pressure is applied. In fact, as noted in this thread before, his better throws are made outside of the pocket.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

Quote:
im rather convinced they havent seen much. Hes got some tools to work with, but you cant teach a guy to have balls.

ive asked people for what games they thought he looked like a legit qb in and havent really gotten an anwser. i wonder if im just seeing the wrong games, because theirs just no way that me and mayock are watching the same games, hes seeing what im seeing, and hes still endorsing Gabbert. as noted in many places im also surprised by the lack of stanzi love, hes slowly becoming my favorite qb in this class, the more i see the more i like him.

Quote:
I think he's a talented QB prospect who has a lot of the qualities needed to be an effective starting QB in today's NFL. I don't view him as 'can't miss' or anything, but NFL teams can't wait to find a can't miss QB. Other than Andrew Luck, I don't see any QB in this Draft or college that strike me a significantly better prospect than Gabbert. Assuming he stays healthy, I believe he'll be a good starting QB.
fair enough, was just curious cause you kept defending taking a qb but didnt necessarily say you thought hed work out or should be the pick. i disagree (obviously) but to each his own i guess, i just dont see it with the guy.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So you're taking two games that a QB played in before he even turned 21 and concluding he'll never be a quality starter in the NFL?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
So you're taking two games that a QB played in before he even turned 21 and concluding he'll never be a quality starter in the NFL?
Yup. And it's not like I just went looking for bad film on him. Judging by box scores, the Illinois game was his second best game of the year. These aren't mechanical issues or anything that can really be improved upon with practice or repetition. He has happy feet, is afraid to get hit, and is prone to panic. He takes off running (and not up the field mind you - he starts running around in and out of the pocket behind the LOS) when his first read isn't open, whether he has pressure or not. I really don't give a damn how well Tom Condon prepares him for the path to the draft, I really don't see how he'll overcome those issues once he actually has NFL linemen breathing down his neck instead of Big-12 Ghost Rushers.

Brent made an Alex Smith comparison a few pages back, and I think that's spot on (with better physical tools, obviously). He's smart, (reportedly) has a good football IQ, says all the right things, looks the part, etc. etc. If you're afraid of getting hit, though, none of that **** really matters.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 03-18-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

Quote:
What games should we be basing it on then? Which games have people seen where he looked so good they thought "this guy can be a real player at the next level" ?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no bare feet View Post
..because what you do in college is the sole indicator of how your game will project in the NFL. What a long waste of words from that guy.
The late pick against Iowa was one of the worst throws i've ever seen. Amazing how much hype he has gotten after such a ****** throw. On a big stage he totally blew it.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Sarcastro
Rookie

Sarcastro hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
im rather convinced they havent seen much. Hes got some tools to work with, but you cant teach a guy to have balls.

ive asked people for what games they thought he looked like a legit qb in and havent really gotten an anwser. i wonder if im just seeing the wrong games, because theirs just no way that me and mayock are watching the same games, hes seeing what im seeing, and hes still endorsing Gabbert. as noted in many places im also surprised by the lack of stanzi love, hes slowly becoming my favorite qb in this class, the more i see the more i like him.

fair enough, was just curious cause you kept defending taking a qb but didnt necessarily say you thought hed work out or should be the pick. i disagree (obviously) but to each his own i guess, i just dont see it with the guy.
I'd say the games Gabbert looked the best were the Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Iowa games. He threw lots of shorter stuff early in the season, but as the competition got better, he threw more intermediate passes and often much smaller windows to hit. I want to say he looked very good in the K-State too, but my memory of that game is vague.

His worst game was against Texas Tech. He looked awful. Many of the comments I see about Gabbert make me roll my eyes, but if he played every game like he did against Tech, all the negative hyperbole would be true.
Sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Well since everyone keeps raving about the Oklahoma game, I'm going to watch it on ESPN3 today if I get free time at work.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Mallett is the best QB in this class. As far as throwing the ball in the pocket. How he is off the field, I don't know. There are no official reports about his drug abuse, no failed tests. I've read he would score really low in the Wonderlic, but he had an okay test.
Roddoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
I still think Mallett is the best QB in this class. As far as throwing the ball in the pocket. How he is off the field, I don't know. There are no official reports about his drug abuse, no failed tests. I've read he would score really low in the Wonderlic, but he had an okay test.
I started watching Arkansas' bowl game last night and was absolutely floored by his ball placement.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
I'd say the games Gabbert looked the best were the Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Iowa games. He threw lots of shorter stuff early in the season, but as the competition got better, he threw more intermediate passes and often much smaller windows to hit. I want to say he looked very good in the K-State too, but my memory of that game is vague.

His worst game was against Texas Tech. He looked awful. Many of the comments I see about Gabbert make me roll my eyes, but if he played every game like he did against Tech, all the negative hyperbole would be true.
i saw that game, i hope he was much better in the first two you mentioned. he wasnt necessarily bad, but he was his usual inconsistent self, throwing behind recievers at times, getting rattled easily, and throwing that god awful pick that was returned really nicely.

i will give him his credit though, he did help them back into the game when they were behind, still didnt think it was a great performance, just one where he showed flashes. certainly wasnt a game where he put it all together. ill have to see if i can go watch the others sometime, didnt see either of those. thanks for actually giving us some examples though, about time someone did.

EDIT:
mallett's the best passer in the class straight up, he really looks like a pro qb throwing the ball out there. its all the off the field stuff none of us really know about that could make or break his career. the only other guy who puts the ball where it belongs even close to mallett is stanzi imo. im not an iowa fan btw, just realized i kinda sound like one with the stanzi love and saying i saw that iowa game.

Last edited by hockey619 : 03-18-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
I'd say the games Gabbert looked the best were the Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Iowa games.
they killed us with the screen/dump-off throws. Also, it didn't help that Jerrod Johnson was benched because of that game. They just couldn't get anything going on offense and keep Mizzou off the field.

/Aggie perspective

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote