Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 AM    (permalink
jjanni

Ok, i'm a long time (long suffering) Lions fan.

I was looking at some trade possiblities, and wondered how the fans of the patriots would feel about a potential trade in picks.

I know that New England has always had a habit of trading higher picks for multiple lower picks, but could it be time to do the opposite? End up with a Multiple STUD 1st rounders, but give up lower picks that would have to spend time developing?

Looking at the draft value chart the Lions have the 1.13 pick valued at 1,150 points.

New England has many picks, including the 2.1 valued at 580 points, the 2.28 pick valued at 300 points, and the 3.10 pick valued at 220 points.

As fans, would you be in favor of making this trade.

New England would end up with 3 first rounders, 13, 17, 28. giving up their 2nd round picks, and one of their 3rd round picks.

The way I see it, it would be a Win Win for both of our teams. New England having obviously better personal, will only have so many players from this draft make the roster anyway. Having 3 1st round stud picks would be great for you. Picking up the 13th overall pick, would allow you to get one of the premier guys at a position of need. Either one of those stud DL or an AJ Green/Julius Jones.

Lions would pick up 3 lower round picks, which they could really use as they have a plethera of holes to fill / talent to develop.

Overall Trade Value Comparison, Patriots end up a positive 50 points on the value chart. Plus with when the new collective bargaining agreement finally gets signed, you know there will be a rookie salery structure in place, so you wouldn't get slammed with rediculous contracts.

To me it seems fair and a win / win. Just want to get your take. Do you like it, hate it, indifferent... let me know.

-J
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

welcome to the boards j

the patriots would not do such a trade in my opinion. if the pats wanted to trade to 13 from 17, yeah i could see that. but i highly doubt the patriots will want to pay 2 players first round money, 3 is just out of the question. I could also see detroit trading to 28 and the patriots moving that pick back to your second rounder.

all of us would love to see the patriots pick 3 stud 1st rounders, but it will never happen. we are even just hoping for 2 first rounders. in the end, i think we will pick at 17 and trade 28 for a pick in the top of second rounder, giving them 2 high second rounders.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting idea, but I really doubt New England would do something like that. Like proshoota said, something like #17 + #74 might be possible for #13 if they really wanted someone, but historically the Patriots are much more likely to trade down than up when choosing early in the draft. Considering there may be no CBA in place, the extra picks could be much more valuable than usual since teams will not be able to sign UDFAs.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could definetly see the Patriots moving up this year, especially if one of the elite pass rushers starts to fall. But like proshoota and ROP said, they are not giving up their second round picks. Belichick and Pioli have always felt that the best value in the draft was picks 10-20 and 40-60. This speaks for BB not giving up both second rounders, but I could definetly see him trading one of those second rounders. And Detroit is imo a very likely trade partner with the Belichick-Schwartz connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with the above statements except, with the new rookie cap that is sure to come,
Is paying 1st rd money that big of deal now?

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we had our sights set on three guys in the first I would be fine with that move, but I doubt we would ever want to pay first round money to three rookies.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I agree with the above statements except, with the new rookie cap that is sure to come,
Is paying 1st rd money that big of deal now?
Well, let's hope we all find out sometime sooner than later...... settle it all out NFL & NFLPA!
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This could happen if Julio Jones is still on the board, but it will likely be 17+74 like others have said.

edit: There are rumors than the Patriots want out of the first round (pick 28). So I doubt they would want back in when they are already shopping a pick.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will be shocked if we end up picking at both 17 and 28

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I will be shocked if we end up picking at both 17 and 28
so would quite a few others:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hargers-trade/
Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that report is a bit silly. I have no doubt that the Pats do a lot of preliminary talking with other teams about moving around the draft board, and I also have no doubt that they are talking a lot of hypotheticals. I find it almost impossible to believe that they are actively trying to trade away a specific pick a month before the draft without knowing who is going to be on the board. I think it is much more likely that they are trying to see what other teams would be looking to do so they can have a kind of a short list of teams to get on the phone with on draft day if the pick is coming up and they realize they want to move the pick.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As for the question posed in this thread, I don't really know what the point would be in making that trade just so they can have three first rounders. They already have two plus another one that's practically a first rounder. So why give up all those other picks just to basically change that 33 to a 13? If there's someone they absolutely must have at 13 that feel they can't get at 17, then they'll just use that pick to move up a few spots.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM    (permalink
jjanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
As for the question posed in this thread, I don't really know what the point would be in making that trade just so they can have three first rounders. They already have two plus another one that's practically a first rounder. So why give up all those other picks just to basically change that 33 to a 13? If there's someone they absolutely must have at 13 that feel they can't get at 17, then they'll just use that pick to move up a few spots.
You missed the point of my original post.

Lets just say there is a player they want at 13 that they don't believe will be their at 17. Would you like the trade i proposed to get the 13th pick. Or would you rather have them trade away one of those first round picks plus a 2nd or 3rd. I'm not saying that they will keep all 3 1st round picks. So they pick 13th, then trade later the 17th for other picks, i'm not trying to determine your exact picks.

I'm just curious if you think my proposed trade is #1 fair, #2 if you like it or dislike it.

-J
Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanni View Post
You missed the point of my original post.

Lets just say there is a player they want at 13 that they don't believe will be their at 17. Would you like the trade i proposed to get the 13th pick. Or would you rather have them trade away one of those first round picks plus a 2nd or 3rd. I'm not saying that they will keep all 3 1st round picks. So they pick 13th, then trade later the 17th for other picks, i'm not trying to determine your exact picks.

I'm just curious if you think my proposed trade is #1 fair, #2 if you like it or dislike it.

-J
"Fair" is probably irrelevant. The trade value chart is pretty much garbage - and even moreso this year with an uncertain CBA. The important issue, esepcially when considering BB's draft history, is that the value of those second round picks is coveted most by the Pats organization.

The answer really is simple: the cost to move from 17 to 13 would be far less (in terms of BB's perceived value of 2nd round picks) than the cost of moving multiple 2nd round selections to add an additional 1st round pick.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote