Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
I told myself I wasn't going to go on a long winded rant about this; but **** it you've made me do it. Here it goes...

For months leading up the draft it was obivious that the Texans should pick either Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Young is basically seen as the second coming of Jesus in the city of Houston which would have boosted ticket sales and judging by the way he played for the Titans a few more wins. They could have easily traded Carr to a team that needed a QB. Reggie would have been the spark to the offense that the team needed. They could have ran a duel back system with him and Davis similar to Deuce and Reggie. Carr finally would have had another target besides Andre Johnson.

Yet, they decide to draft neither of these guys and their is excuse is that Carr and Davis are their franchise offensive players. Apparently in Houston franchise means one season as they were both cut on Friday. You explain to me, logically, how in one year a quarterback goes from "the franchise" to being cut. They went back on everything they said last April with their trade for Schaub and their cuts of Davis and Carr.

The other excuse they used was that they wouldn't be able to stop anybody with Reggie and Vince. Fair arguement but guess what. They still can't stop anybody. Mario Williams may have great potential but he didn't do squat his rookie year while Vince Young won Rookie Of The Year and damn near lead his team to playoffs while the Texans finished with the eighth overall selection and Bush was a key part to the Saints rise to the elite in the NFC.

I'll sum up why they screwed up with one simple video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKURxvgBU5g

Explain to me how you had a succesful draft when everybody in the stadium is cheering the rival's quarterback as he scores the game winning TD.
Since you are unaware of this, I will inform you of why Reggie would not be a good pick for us. At the time we had no reason to believe that Domanick Davis would not be ready to start the season. We had our starting RB, and he was quite good here. Reggie Bush is not a good fit for a ZBS offense, which is what we run. He dances too much. We already had a "dancer" in Vernand Morency, and he wasn't that good in our scheme so we got rid of him.

We didn't want to give up on Carr after just four seasons, so we decided to allow him one more. No matter who we took on offense, we wouldn't win that many more games because of how bad our defense was. We were letting in too many points to contend in games, so big surprise we went defense in the draft. We picked one of the most amazing physical freaks in the last 5 years to help jump-start our defense. No he didn't play up to the billing of a first overall pick, but he was a solid starter, and improved over the season despite being hampered by injury.

Yes Vince would be awesome, but we wanted to give Carr a chance.

Ok here is something that is going to change the way that you look at the world. Are you ready, here is this earthshattering statement that you need to hear: There is more than one round in the draft. Lets take a look at the other players the Texans got in the draft.

1st- Mario Williams: Solid player, not great, but has been improving.
2nd- Demeco Ryans: Huge steal in the second round, DPOY, had one of the most dominant seasons for a rookie LB in the history of the NFL.
3rd- Charles Spencer: Started quickly, and became the best offensive lineman on our line. A great pickup in the third round.
3rd- Eric Winston: Started later in the season, was solid
4th- Owen Daniels: The best rookie tight end
6th- Wali Lundy: Effective change of pace back, had some good runs

As for the Saints rising to the top that was much more because of Drew Brees than Reggie Bush.

People in Houston love Vince, many Houstonians went to UT, I was cheering on that run too. Even though he's on the Titans we still root for him to do well.