Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 03-23-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
chilly53

Okay so what are the general thoughts on the quarterback position in Miami?

Here is what I think:

Duante Culpepper - Will never return to form and even if he is physically healthy he can't read a defense. His good seasons in Minnesota were a primary result of being able to throw the deep ball to Moss when needed which doesnt require the defense to be read.

Cleo Lemon - Needs work and will probably be no more than a lifetime backup...but a serviceable one at that.

JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn - Probably won't be around and I hate the idea of trading up and losing picks.

Trent Green - There is no use bringing in a 38 year old quarterback during a rebuilding year. He has at best 1 or 2 seasons left in him and I would just assume draft a young quarterback and let Cleo Lemon see what he can do this year.

David Carr - Not a bad option, I believe he was made to look worse than he actually is by the extremely poor offensive line of the Texans...although our O-Line won't make him look much better.

Drew Stanton - I like him but not before our second pick in the second round and he may be off the board by them.

That being said, I think I would like the Dolphins to persue the option of trading for David Carr. He is still young and if we can put together somewhat of an offensive line he may be able to do something for our offense. Plus I read that the Phins could get him by simply swapping first rounders with Houston and possibly a 7th rounder which seems like a reasonable price to pay. The phins could also then take a young qb in the mid-late rounds of the draft as a project and dump culpepper!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Rotoworld.com is reporting that the Dolphins are strongly considering releasing Daunte Culpepper once they acquire Trent Green and that they have not expressed any interest in David Carr.

If that's the case, look for us to be drafting either Brady Quinn or Drew Stanton to groom behind Green.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 AM    (permalink
chilly53

I think Brady Quinn is more of a pipe dream. It would be great but we would have to give up a lot to move up and get him and I don't think there is any way he falls to us at 9. I wouldn't mind Stanton though.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I really don' t think Quinn is far fetched. I am not at all in favor of giving up draft picks but if they feel he is their guy then they might go for it. They have stock piled picks and have 2 2nd rounders. I would rather trade up to the 6th spot ahead of the vikings if he slips some but it's not unrealistic to see us trading up even higher for him. I'd rather not have to deal into the top 5 tho as it would cost a ton.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get Green and release Culpepper that would make no sense to me. That wouldn't help anything. If we bring in Carr I can see Culpepper getting cut, but with Green it would make no sense.

As far as trading up for Quinn, if he falls out of the top 3 he should fall, Minnesota won't take him, they have a QB. Taking him is still iffy though. I really would hate to see Culpepper go without getting a legitimate shot here.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
chilly53

I am from Minnesota and hate the Vikings, however I have watched alot of Culpepper and he really won't be the quarterback of the present or future. He has absolutely no talent when it comes to reading a defense. I would prefer Carr and release Culpepper, although I would prefer Culpepper over Green.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
chilly53

David Carr has just been released:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

No draft pick compensation. I'm thinking he will come much cheaper than what culpepper is costing us too. What does everyone think?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I wouldn't mind bringing in Carr for a cheap contract and even trading for Green looks like a good option as well and he would come cheap.

Guru, I've been saying all offseason that Cam Cameron doesnt like Culpepper. Nobody wanted to listen. I've written it all over these boards. Why are you suddenly surprised and feel like the move doesn't make sense? If Cam Cameron feels that Daunte Culpepper isn't the guy for his system now or in the future then why stick with him anymore. Cut your losses now, move on and see what else is out there. No sense in keeping him around just to trade him in a year.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
When quarterback schools and minicamps start next month, the Dolphins expect Culpepper will be there, too.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/10083212

I've never heard anything out of Cameron's mouth saying he did not like Culpepper. All he has said is he likes what he sees with him working out and the starting QB will have to earn it.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
I'mAHustler
Veteran

I'mAHustler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing in Carr for a cheap contract and even trading for Green looks like a good option as well and he would come cheap.

Guru, I've been saying all offseason that Cam Cameron doesnt like Culpepper. Nobody wanted to listen. I've written it all over these boards. Why are you suddenly surprised and feel like the move doesn't make sense? If Cam Cameron feels that Daunte Culpepper isn't the guy for his system now or in the future then why stick with him anymore. Cut your losses now, move on and see what else is out there. No sense in keeping him around just to trade him in a year.
No sense in cutting him when he's never been given a chance. He is a multiple Pro Bowler that still has the physical tools besides maybe slowing feet...

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...
I'mAHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mAHustler View Post
No sense in cutting him when he's never been given a chance. He is a multiple Pro Bowler that still has the physical tools besides maybe slowing feet...
He got a chance last year. I just don't see the point with sticking with somebody for a year if they decide he's not the future of this team. If Cam Cameron doesn't think Culpepper can run the offense then I'd rather see then just cut Culpepper and play Lemon or a rookie play.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
chilly53

Does anyone think this would be a possibility. If Detroit happens to take the bait on Green, they may potentially release Josh McCown. The phins could then get mccown for relatively cheap. I think mccown is a very under-rated quarterback and I wanted him to end up in Miami last year over DC. He never had a decent O-Line, running back, or tight end in Arizona so maybe a change of scenery would do him well?

Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly53 View Post
Does anyone think this would be a possibility. If Detroit happens to take the bait on Green, they may potentially release Josh McCown. The phins could then get mccown for relatively cheap. I think mccown is a very under-rated quarterback and I wanted him to end up in Miami last year over DC. He never had a decent O-Line, running back, or tight end in Arizona so maybe a change of scenery would do him well?

Thoughts?
No way would I want him over David Carr, Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell or Drew Stanton. I wouldn't mind him over Trent Green or Daunte Culpepper.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Carr being released, I would sign him to a one year deal with an option for the second year depending on how he does in 2007. He will be 28 in July and is worth a chance. Then, I would draft OT Levi Brown to protect his ass since Joe Thomas will be long gone.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote