Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

You don't have to be Sigmund Freud to see what Newton is all about. It's pretty obvious to the casual fan.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
anansi
Rookie

anansi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSeIVIaN View Post
Hey Scott...

So Jimmy Clausen is a franchise QB and every team that passed on him is an idiot. And you guarantee the team that picks Newton in the top 5 will regret it?

:P
This, it will be interesting to see how Scott explains this one.
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anansi View Post
This, it will be interesting to see how Scott explains this one.
How many times was Clausen arrested?

How many schools was Clausen kicked out of for cheating?

How many NCAA Pay-for-Play scandals was Clausen involved in?

If Clausen had Newton's track record I would've had him at least a round lower than I did.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I won't lie.

I think Cam Newton is a narcissist
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post

Personally, I think Nolan is one of the very best in the business, right up there with Mel Kiper, Jr. and Mike Mayock. Apparently he has some of the same concerns that many of us do...
Really Scott? You think Mel Kiper Jr is one of the best in the business? I agree with you on Mayock. He knows his stuff. But Mel Kiper honestly has no idea what he's talking about, along with the other idiot on ESPN in Todd McShay. Kiper had Jimmy Clausen as his number 5 overall prospect in last years draft. That's just one example of him being ABSOLUTELY not knowing anything. He said Jamarcus Russell would be a top 10 QB by his 3rd season, and that Josh Freeman wasa 5th round prospect who only would go in the 1st because of his build and arm strength.

He doesn't do crap in research and doesn't even know talent and how it will develop when it comes to the NFL. Frankly, I think he gets paid to talk up bums like Cam Newton for media attention.

Scott Wright, you are a better draft analyst and scout than Mel Kiper, 10 x better.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How many times was Clausen arrested?

How many schools was Clausen kicked out of for cheating?

How many NCAA Pay-for-Play scandals was Clausen involved in?

If Clausen had Newton's track record I would've had him at least a round lower than I did.
Clausen had plenty of character issues, people just chose to ignore him because of the golden dome.
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Really Scott? You think Mel Kiper Jr is one of the best in the business? I agree with you on Mayock. He knows his stuff. But Mel Kiper honestly has no idea what he's talking about, along with the other idiot on ESPN in Todd McShay. Kiper had Jimmy Clausen as his number 5 overall prospect in last years draft. That's just one example of him being ABSOLUTELY not knowing anything. He said Jamarcus Russell would be a top 10 QB by his 3rd season, and that Josh Freeman wasa 5th round prospect who only would go in the 1st because of his build and arm strength.

He doesn't do crap in research and doesn't even know talent and how it will develop when it comes to the NFL. Frankly, I think he gets paid to talk up bums like Cam Newton for media attention.

Scott Wright, you are a better draft analyst and scout than Mel Kiper, 10 x better.
This is a true statement. Just because he's turned out well doesn't make Mel's assessment of him as a prospect wrong. Freeman had tons of issues. Fortunately for him, he didn't have to play right away and was put in a situation where he got a ton of time to work on being a QB.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 PM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Fortunately for him, he didn't have to play right away and was put in a situation where he got a ton of time to work on being a QB.
6 games is a ton of time?

So you're trying to tell me that Tampa wasn't absolutely right in their evaluation that Freeman was a 1st round QB? They drafted a 5th round talent and got lucky?
metafour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafour View Post
6 games is a ton of time?

So you're trying to tell me that Tampa wasn't absolutely right in their evaluation that Freeman was a 1st round QB? They drafted a 5th round talent and got lucky?
That makes no sense to me considering my stance on drafting QBs. Tampa Bay felt he was their guy, so they drafted him. It's not about evaluating him as a first or any round talent. Tampa Bay decided that Freeman was their man, and a large part of that was his relationship with their coach. They were correct to be aggressive.

As a quarterback, he had a very long ways to go. Tampa Bay did get lucky that Freeman developed so quickly and didn't make them look like clowns. And, yes, 6 games is a lot of time. That's almost an extra half season he had to learn.

The thing with Freeman is we knew he had a great head on his shoulders and that he had the mental ability to become a very good QB, but he had SOOOO far to go because the coaching he'd had prior to the draft was so wrong for him. If he was a Senior and not a Junior, he would have gone in the 3rd Round.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I recently purchased Nolan's draft guide and it has been a great source for prospects I've been familiar and unfamiliar with. Regarding his thoughts on Newton all he did was put to press what I've been thinking.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Clausen had plenty of character issues, people just chose to ignore him because of the golden dome.
Really? They were ignored to the point where he dropped to #48.

The perception of Jimmy Clausen's character cost him millions and millions of dollars.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I recently purchased Nolan's draft guide and it has been a great source for prospects I've been familiar and unfamiliar with. Regarding his thoughts on Newton all he did was put to press what I've been thinking.
If I ran an NFL team, the first two people I'd be looking to hire from the draft community are Mike Mayock and Nolan Nawrocki. That is how much respect I have for Nolan.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 AM    (permalink
metafour
Veteran

metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.metafour is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If I ran an NFL team, the first two people I'd be looking to hire from the draft community are Mike Mayock and Nolan Nawrocki. That is how much respect I have for Nolan.
If I had an NFL team I'd hire someone who actually knows what they're taking about. None of these guys deserve jobs.
metafour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The perception of Jimmy Clausen's character cost him millions and millions of dollars.
I think it had more to do with the fact most nfl personnel did not see him as a Franchise QB or a QB with Elite talent, I think the buzz around him was the creation ND/Media hype.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I figured this should be part of this thread: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-cam-newton/
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 AM    (permalink
Rashaan Salaam
Rookie

Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rashaan Salaam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If I had an NFL team I'd hire someone who actually knows what they're taking about. None of these guys deserve jobs.
BINGO!!! Although, I'd bring on Mayock...I'd just keep him away from evaluating QBs & RBs.. Every other position, he's pretty good
Rashaan Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mike Mayock has apparently been offered a few front office jobs with NFL teams. Clearly some teams think he is good at what he does.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly..... I LMAO at all these forum posters who love to play the role of the critic and sit there and rip the Mayocks, Nawricki's, Kipers, McShays, etc. as if they themselves are geniuses.

Kiper and Mayock are wrong plenty of times.
So is your team's GM, and my team's GM.

But Kiper and Mayock and McShay didn't win a random drawing to get the job that they have on ESPN and NFL Network. They're good. They aren't perfect, and you might not like them. But they've earned their way there....

Most -not all- people who rip them do so out of jealousy.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM    (permalink
JaxJag_1
Veteran

JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JaxJag_1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam Newton is awful, just like Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Mallett.

This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

JaxJag_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my honest opinion, I think Clausen's character concerns were overlooked for whatever reason and that it was relatively abnormal. Normally, QBs are criticized like Newton, Mallett, and others.

I don't know why Clausen was so overlooked.

After watching the draft special with Jon Gruden and Jimmy Clausen, it makes sense what NFL teams saw though.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there is no comparison between Clausen and Newton.

the internet love Clausen, but his locker room hated him (players)

for Newton, it's the other way around. the internet beats him up, but ask any Auburn player, you'd want this guy on your team not on the other side. He's a winner and players respect that (like tebow, or vince Young).

No one in an NFL locker room is going to care if Newton took money. They care if Clausen acts like a jerk.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Shere Khan
Rookie

Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the natural View Post
You don't have to be Sigmund Freud to see what Newton is all about. It's pretty obvious to the casual fan.
...and what would that be?

WHO DEY, ALL DEY, ERY' DEY
Shere Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post

Nawrocki admitted hes spent no time with Newton.
um... ok nice job buddy

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Big Bird
Rookie

Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big Bird is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I was referring to people like you, who hyped him as a Top 5 prospect when he had no business there.

You're willing to rip Newton and Mallett for character concerns, but weren't willing to do that to Clausen when Clausen had teammates coming out, saying he wasn't a good teammate. At least Newton and Mallett have never had a concern like that.

Oh, and let's not forget Clausen getting punched in the face by one of Golden Tate's friends because Clausen tried to hit on the guy's girlfriend. Oh, then Notre Dame and his family covered it up and said it was some crazed fan at a bar.

Right...
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I was referring to people like you, who hyped him as a Top 5 prospect when he had no business there.

You're willing to rip Newton and Mallett for character concerns, but weren't willing to do that to Clausen when Clausen had teammates coming out, saying he wasn't a good teammate. At least Newton and Mallett have never had a concern like that.

Oh, and let's not forget Clausen getting punched in the face by one of Golden Tate's friends because Clausen tried to hit on the guy's girlfriend. Oh, then Notre Dame and his family covered it up and said it was some crazed fan at a bar.

Right...
Believe me, I don't talk about issues like those with Clausen, Newton and Mallett lightly. I research, talk with people and do my due dilligence. The bottom line is a lot of the Clausen stuff was overblown. The bottom line is Clausen was never arrested, never failed drug tests and I still believe a lot of the talk about him was a case of perception becoming reality. Also, the details you laid out in the incident you referred to are flat-out false.

Time will tell on Clausen in the NFL and if I'm wrong I will own up to it. I have hits and misses just like everyone else, but I'm not nearly ready to give up on Clausen yet. However, to compare Clausen's situation to that of Newton is apples and oranges.