Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea hate to see us trade our pick that ended up be JaQuizz Rodgers, a 2 Headed Beaver Back With Speed in Power, Oh Well, hopefully we can still get a solid RB but I don't see many in these late rounds

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
Not the best trade in the world. I thought they might go with Rogers at RB.

What about Ross Homan the OLB out of Ohio St. He could be a good fit.
Right school, wrong player. :)

I'm really intrigued by this Hines pick. Hines strikes me as the kind of guy you could line up as a hybrid LB/S in a nickel package and do a variety of things for you. Should help on special teams as well. Solid situational guy who could find a role in sub packages on this defense.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So with the draft almost over and it looks like the Rams are not going to get the back up RB that they need. What possible Free Agents can you guys see the Rams going after. Reggie Bush?

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wonder what we do with our 3 picks in the 7th

I would be fine with drafting a RB, DT, LB, or OL

(#216): Mikail Baker CB/Baylor
(#228): Jabara Williams LB/Stephen F. Austin
(#229): Jonathan Nelson S/Oklahoma

Last edited by KCJ58 : 04-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
So with the draft almost over and it looks like the Rams are not going to get the back up RB that they need. What possible Free Agents can you guys see the Rams going after. Reggie Bush?
Still a couple of possibilities on the board, but yeah, it's disappointing that yet again they haven't made a better effort to address this spot.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Still a couple of possibilities on the board, but yeah, it's disappointing that yet again they haven't made a better effort to address this spot.

Yeah I am just throwing it out there, since they never come up with a RB in an early round. We took the kid from Texas a few years ago in the 7th and he has done nothing.

I am hoping they go after a OLB like Herzlich with one of thier 7th rounders and maybe a OG or CB.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
ramsfan2005813
Rookie

ramsfan2005813 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
wonder what we do with our 3 picks in the 7th

I would be fine with drafting a RB, DT, LB, or OL

(#216)
(#228)
(#229)
Ive got the same wants. Maybe Mark Herzlich, Derrick Locke, and Martin Parker
ramsfan2005813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

I like the position. Not sure about the pick. I cannot find him on any list of CBs.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

7th round selections:

(#216): Mikail Baker CB/Baylor
(#228): Jabara Williams LB/Stephen F. Austin
(#229): Jonathan Nelson S/Oklahoma

there all from the texas/oklahoma pipeline

Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM    (permalink
ramsfan2005813
Rookie

ramsfan2005813 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the seventh rounders. All have some potential. Baker has some decent KR skills. Jabara Williams can be thrown into the mix at weakside competition and be a good special teams guy. Nelson seems like a high class person who has a chance to be a good converted safety with that work ethic.
ramsfan2005813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I realize it's almost impossible to grade a draft this early, but we wasted a ton of picks based off of the value available. Heading into next season I see us with one impact player (Quinn). Rounds 2-4 saw us take three receivers (Kendricks, Pettis, Halas). Other than TE can you honestly say we upgraded? Who does Pettis and Halas upgrade on...Clayton? Avery? Alexander? Amedola? Gibson? Robison? Gilyard? IMO we just wasted two more picks on WR3 or 4 recivers. I'd grade Quinn an A, but other than that I wouldn't grade a single pick above a C+.

And for the record I said we should have taken Ryan Kalil over Brian Leonard and Desean Jackson over Donnie Avery. Very disappointed in the Rams draft. Stephen Paea, Mason Foster, and Kendall Hunter would have been much better.

I'll give this staff the benefit of the doubt, but I'm being reminded of the mid-2000's with this one. Very little to appreciate other than Quinn.
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Salas I loved, I like the Quinn pick, the rest all scream "meh" to me. What really really annoys me, is the depth in 3rd down backs in this draft in the later rounds seemed good on paper, and we completely ignored it. That's possibly annoyed me more than Fridays picks.
Beano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
Other than TE can you honestly say we upgraded?
Absolutely.

The Rams did not fill their more glaring hole for a #1-type receiver, though truth be told, they didn't really have a shot at one with Green/Jones gone in the Top Six.

But what they did find was a pair of athletic receivers with size who are actually going to catch what's thrown at them. When your team ranked near the top of the league in passes dropped, finding more reliable targets who will help sustain drives by bringing in the football is an upgrade.

If Pettis and Salas prove to be dependable targets in the passing game, then they'll be upgrades over guys like Gibson, Robinson, and Alexander, who had some key drops for the team this season, as well as a guy like Gilyard who couldn't even get onto the field at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Salas I loved, I like the Quinn pick, the rest all scream "meh" to me. What really really annoys me, is the depth in 3rd down backs in this draft in the later rounds seemed good on paper, and we completely ignored it. That's possibly annoyed me more than Fridays picks.
That was a bit disappointing. The way the Rams explain it, the running backs were never the best value on their board when their pick came up, and they were not going to reach to fill a need. Generally that's a philosophy I agree with.

The frustrating thing is we only have access to our own fan draft board, so we might think there is value there and the Rams might not based on their evaluations. Their board might be different. For instance, fans are upset the Rams passed on Mason Foster, yet who knows where the Rams had him. Pro Football Weekly had him in the fifth round on their draft value chart, so you just never know.

Since the value was not there during the draft, it's an area I'd expect the Rams to go after in free agency, whenever that occurs. And maybe they do it by going after some of the guys that would have been UDFA targets right after the draft, but a veteran should be in the mix as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could accept that, if it hadn't seemed like every other team around us felt differently. Now maybe our FO know something more than we do, but so many teams around us found the value on some of these RB's more than good enough to take, and some (Falcons springs straight to mind) I would argue had much less of a need than us at grabbing help in the backfield.

I also think Austin Pettis' hands are overrated, but that is mainly down to the horror show that was his performance against Nevada. In fact, it made Alexanders issues in the Seattle game look acceptable.

I'm going to stand by my "meh", and hope come September they change my mind.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I think we need to keep in mind that, based on the list of runners the Rams brought in for pre-draft visits, the team didn't appear to be interested in the smaller change of pace backs. Which makes sense if you look at the guys McDaniels favored in Denver (5'10" to 6'0" 'backs that weighed 210-220+ lbs). If you think they should have been, that's another discussion, but let's proceed under their mindset.

So with that in the back of our heads, where was the great value at RB that the Rams passed up? Should they have passed on a potential starting tight end to draft a back-up like Leshoure or Vereen in round two? Should they have reached for Alex Green in round three? Delone Carter or Bilal Powell in round four?

None of these guys strikes me as such amazing value that not taking them is mind-blowing. If you're willing to consider these smaller change of pace guys, then I'm right there with you wondering why we didn't look at Kendall Hunter in the fourth or Derrick Locke with any pick. But it's entirely possible - if not probable based on the pre-draft visits - that those guys just don't fit what McDaniels' offense calls for.

Now, having said all that, if the Rams think they can go into 2011 with Kenneth Darby and Keith Toston as the back-ups again this season, I think that's absolutely the wrong way to go. Having missed out on running backs in the draft, the Rams need to come out in free agency and sign a veteran runner capable of taking 5-7 carries a game off of Steven Jackson's plate so that #39 doesn't wear himself down and possibly get himself hurt. A fresher Steven Jackson is going to be a positive for this offense.

If the Rams weren't satisfied with the options available to them when they made their picks in the draft, then they'd better find someone available in the free agent market to fill that role.

Last edited by NGSeiler : 05-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.
NGSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

I agree with everything you guys have said about running back. Very disappointing we didn't upgrade.

What are your thoughts about our linebackers? IMO this was arguably our biggest weakness heading into the draft. Significant upgrades on both sides of James would have been nice. I don't really see where we made any attempt to fill those voids.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree with everything you guys have said about running back. Very disappointing we didn't upgrade.

What are your thoughts about our linebackers? IMO this was arguably our biggest weakness heading into the draft. Significant upgrades on both sides of James would have been nice. I don't really see where we made any attempt to fill those voids.
I know Spags and Devaney are higher on Josh Hull than a lot of fans are, and I think Jabara Williams comes in and competes for the starting weak-side linebacker spot.

I trust Spags, He knows what players fit his system the best.

As for the backup Running back situation, come on people why are you that surprised? Devaney says the same "oh yeah it's definitely a priority this offseason" every offseason, people make threads about the Rams finally getting a backup runningback and at the end of every offseason we still have Steven Jackson and nothing.

I love the Draft. Robert Quinn was arguably the steal of the draft, him and Chris Long in a few years is going to be a deadly combo. Lance Kendricks is a great receiving Tight End, I Questioned the pick when I first heard it but then after thinking about it, Bradford uses his Tight ends a ton why not upgrade over Billy Bajema and Illinois Mike? Imagine the mismatches Fendi and Lance could give teams in a few years, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here because who knows how Fendi is going to progress but if he does progress well, in a year or two you have Two great athletic Tight ends who can stretch the field and a great blocking Tight End in Illinois Mike.

The two receivers the Rams drafted aren't #1 guys and the Rams receiving core isn't anything to get to excited about but with Sam Bradford, he makes the Receivers better than what they should be. Reading throughout the forum over the past few months Greg Salas was pretty much on everyones "steal list" no fear over the middle, plays with heart, has great hands, good route runner. If these guys are smart enough to learn and understand a playbook, they will be successful with Sam Bradford throwing them the ball. Elite players raise the game of everyone around them and Bradford is elite.

I question the Maikel Baker pick, but there I think your just looking or potential and players that can make your special teams better than what they are.

Robert Quinn - Starter

Lance Kendricks - Starter

Austin Pettis - 3rd or 4th receiver

Greg Salas - 3rd or 4th receiver

Jermale Hines - Starter

Mikail Baker - Practice Squad

Jabara Williams - Starter

Jonathan Nelson - Practice Squad

Am I to high on our draft? maybe. But I trust Spags and Devaney. Bill Devaney has done a great job since being the General Manager of the Rams. Since 2008 19 of his draft picks are on the 53 man roster and 9 of them are starters.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:58 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I trust Spags, He knows what players fit his system the best.
I still remember him benching Fletcher for Kevin Dockery.

;)

To move the subject on from the draft, which former NYG defensive player is coming over when FA starts?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

Quote:
Lance Kendricks is a great receiving Tight End, I Questioned the pick when I first heard it but then after thinking about it, Bradford uses his Tight ends a ton why not upgrade over Billy Bajema and Illinois Mike? Imagine the mismatches Fendi and Lance could give teams in a few years, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here because who knows how Fendi is going to progress but if he does progress well, in a year or two you have Two great athletic Tight ends who can stretch the field and a great blocking Tight End in Illinois Mike.

The two receivers the Rams drafted aren't #1 guys and the Rams receiving core isn't anything to get to excited about but with Sam Bradford, he makes the Receivers better than what they should be. Reading throughout the forum over the past few months Greg Salas was pretty much on everyones "steal list" no fear over the middle, plays with heart, has great hands, good route runner. If these guys are smart enough to learn and understand a playbook, they will be successful with Sam Bradford throwing them the ball. Elite players raise the game of everyone around them and Bradford is elite.
I agree TE was a needed area, but there was a lot better talent on the board when we drafted Kendricks. DT had some great prospects and we really could have got a steal at that point in the draft. A round later we passed on Mason Foster to get another WR4. Hopefully we can spend some cash in free agency to help fill a few of these holes. The way I see it, we have glarring weaknesses at Weakside LB, SS LB, Safety, Guard, and Running back. We could also use some depth at DT and CB.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Jermale Hines - Starter
Wouldn't count on this one, though I like his potential to fill the Stewart role from last year and line up in nickel packages as a LB/S hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
To move the subject on from the draft, which former NYG defensive player is coming over when FA starts?
DT Barry Cofield.

Quote:
I agree TE was a needed area, but there was a lot better talent on the board when we drafted Kendricks.
The Rams obviously disagreed. Only time will tell who is right. I think we need to remember that opinions certainly differ on prospects, and what we may consider a good value, others may not. Especially if they don't fit the role the team is looking for.

To use Mason Foster as an example, I'd say many if not most fans pegged him as a second round prospect. He went a full round later and reportedly is being considered a Tampa 2 MLB rather than an OLB. So clearly there was some disparity in how fans valued/viewed him versus how the NFL valued/viewed him.

Also, some would have argued that Mardy Gilyard was one of the best talents on the board when the Rams picked in the fourth round last year, and we're still waiting for that to pay off.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.101espn.com/category/hbal...-Rams%27-Goal/

Quote:
It would probably be a surprise for some to discover that only five NFL teams had more red-zone trips than the Rams' 56 in 2010: New England, 67; New Orleans, 61; San Diego, 59; and Atlanta and Philadelphia, 58. Indianapolis also had 56. Of those six teams, all but San Diego made the playoffs and the Chargers were 9-7. Those six teams combined for a 67-29 record.

The Saints ranked lowest of those teams in red-zone touchdown percentage (20th), but they still scored 31 touchdowns, which was more than the 27 total touchdowns the Rams scored all season.

The Patriots scored 42 red-zone touchdowns, the Colts 38, Falcons 35, Chargers 33 and Eagles 31.

Meanwhile, the Rams' red-zone touchdown production was downright ugly. Their 35.7 percent success rate was better than only Carolina (30.3). No other team was under 40 percent. Their 20 red-zone touchdowns topped only five teams: Buffalo and Cleveland, 19; Miami, 18; Arizona, 16 and Carolina, 10. All those teams had significantly fewer red-zone trips.

Consider that 72.1 percent of the rushing or passing touchdowns scored in the NFL last season came in the red zone. Of the 751 total passing touchdowns, 191 (25.4 percent) were scored by tight ends and 155 of those 191 (81.1 percent) came in the red zone.

Yes, it's nice to have outside speed in your receiving corps. But that doesn't help much when the field constricts inside the 20. Red-zone improvement was a huge need for the Rams, and they believe the addition of Kendricks, as well as big wide receivers Austin Pettis and Greg Salas has helped fill it.

They certainly have more of a chance to do that than any running back.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Undrafted Free Agent RB's

There are a few undrafted free agent running backs that fit the scatback mold we are looking for.

Noel Devine 5-9, 170 West Virginia.
Derrick Locke 5-9, 190 Kentucky
Donald Buckram 5-10, 195 UTEP

I didn't see much of Devine or Locke, and Buckram was injured much of his senior year, which no doubt hurt his stock. However, I saw Buckram a couple times his junior year and he was very explosive. He was in the top 5 in the nation in rushing and scored 18 td's. He is also a very good receiver out of the backfield, and had 3 receiving td's that year, including a 72-yarder. His speed is listed in the 4.4 range, but it doesn't look like he was invited to the combine.

Any thoughts?

Also, I have read an article or two that suggests the Rams are very high on Darren Sproles. I wonder how the rest of you feel about this? I have mixed feelings. A couple of years ago I would have jumped all over him, but now I am not sure. With LT out of the mix last year he had a fantastic opportunity to grab the reins, but he wasn't any more productive and never did win the starting job. I also am of the opinion that being a return specialist is a young player's job, and his numbers in that department will likely decline the closer he gets to 30. The one thing I do really like about him is his production in the passing game, where his numbers have steadily increased over the course of his career.

Is there any chance we go after a guy like DeAngelo Williams, or will he be way too expensive?

Just some thoughts as we (hopefully) head into free agency.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of the things I really like about this rebuilding project is that they aren't trying to build Rome in a day. They recognize the necessity of always moving forward and keeping things in perspective. I look at the 49ers as a perfect example. When Mike Nolan inherited that team in 2005 they had completely deteriorated talentwise. Free agents had left, players had gotten old and retired, coaches had moved on to new places, and they had horrible salaryu cap issues. I remember reading an article at some point that talked about them still having cap hits for players like Rice and Young, who hadn't played there in 6 or 7 years. It was time to rebuild with youth and get their books straight so they could once again be a contender.

So they attacked the problem through the draft, and only added inexpensive free agents where they had to. They made a lot of draft day trades which brought additional picks.

By 2007 they had what the analysts were calling one of the most talented teams in the league, and their record was improving. The only problem was, they had young guys teaching young guys and no veteran leadership, a new offensive coordinator every year to right the ship, and it all boiled down to them having all the talent in the world but no one knowing how to win because they had all joined up together at the same time.

So while we fans look at this team and see how many holes have gone unfilled, I don't see that as such a bad thing. These first couple of drafts have not been real sexy, but I think we have put key pieces in place that will help build a strong foundation.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
One of the things I really like about this rebuilding project is that they aren't trying to build Rome in a day. They recognize the necessity of always moving forward and keeping things in perspective. I look at the 49ers as a perfect example. When Mike Nolan inherited that team in 2005 they had completely deteriorated talentwise. Free agents had left, players had gotten old and retired, coaches had moved on to new places, and they had horrible salaryu cap issues. I remember reading an article at some point that talked about them still having cap hits for players like Rice and Young, who hadn't played there in 6 or 7 years. It was time to rebuild with youth and get their books straight so they could once again be a contender.

So they attacked the problem through the draft, and only added inexpensive free agents where they had to. They made a lot of draft day trades which brought additional picks.

By 2007 they had what the analysts were calling one of the most talented teams in the league, and their record was improving. The only problem was, they had young guys teaching young guys and no veteran leadership, a new offensive coordinator every year to right the ship, and it all boiled down to them having all the talent in the world but no one knowing how to win because they had all joined up together at the same time.

So while we fans look at this team and see how many holes have gone unfilled, I don't see that as such a bad thing. These first couple of drafts have not been real sexy, but I think we have put key pieces in place that will help build a strong foundation.
I agree with the assumption that Sproles will lose some of his return ability and to me that's his greatest stregth. Price permitted, I love to see us grab Ahmad Bradshaw. I think he would really help take the load off of Sjax.
A couple less expensive names I would like to see us go after as a third down back: Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Brian Westbrook.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
There are a few undrafted free agent running backs that fit the scatback mold we are looking for.
We as in fans or we as in the Rams? Because if you look at all of the running backs who came in for pre-draft visits with the Rams, they did not fit the scatback mold. The only running back Spags/Devaney has drafted so far was Chris Ogbonnaya, who was 6'0" and 220 pounds. There were rumblings that the Rams were interested in Darren Sproles at one point, but I'm wondering if their mindset regarding the type of depth they want at running back is different than what most fans would pursue.

Quote:
I agree with the assumption that Sproles will lose some of his return ability and to me that's his greatest stregth. Price permitted, I love to see us grab Ahmad Bradshaw. I think he would really help take the load off of Sjax.
Bradshaw is intriguing, but at 25 years old coming off of a season where he carried the ball 270+ times, do you think he'll want to come to a team to be a back-up/situational guy? I'm not so sure.