Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
He's just LUCKy he didn't come out in the same draft as Blaine Gabbert, or he'd have.... been the 4th QB taken?
You have more egg on your face about quarterbacks than just about anyone here due to your arm strength>everything else principal.

Gabbert being sacked that much was largely his own fault. The blocking was at least average at Mizzou his entire time there. If he had stayed in the pocket instead of running around like a chicken when his head was cut off, the natural might have an argument...but as it stands..no. One of the main things a quarterback has to have the ability to do is to be able to look at the rush coming on and still deliver a strike. Tom Brady does it. Andrew Luck does it....Blaine Gabbert calls his own plays and throws game losing picks trying to force it to TJ Moe.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
You have more egg on your face about quarterbacks than just about anyone here due to your arm strength>everything else principal.

Gabbert being sacked that much was largely his own fault. The blocking was at least average at Mizzou his entire time there. If he had stayed in the pocket instead of running around like a chicken when his head was cut off, the natural might have an argument...but as it stands..no. One of the main things a quarterback has to have the ability to do is to be able to look at the rush coming on and still deliver a strike. Tom Brady does it. Andrew Luck does it....Blaine Gabbert calls his own plays and throws game losing picks trying to force it to TJ Moe.

Lol what? What QBs am I so wrong on? hahah
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Lol what? What QBs am I so wrong on? hahah
Pretty much anyone without a Matthew Stafford arm who goes on to be successful by the parameters defined and agreed upon by the majority of football fans.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pretty much anyone without a Matthew Stafford arm who goes on to be successful by the parameters defined and agreed upon by the majority of football fans.
I don't understand what you are talking about. I hate every QB that doesn't have Stafford's arm?

I'm sorry that I caused a lot of asshurt when I said that Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford would never be more than above average at their best.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the natural View Post
Luck had a great year on a well coached team with a great running game and a very experienced front line. He was only sacked 12 times over two years. Some QBs get sacked 12 times in two games. There isn't any difference between he, Gabbert, and Newton. Different style, mainly, and it depends what the coaches prefer.
lol that's golden

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

And I was one of the ones that was pimping Luck as a RS freshman when the rest of the board was going ZOMG MATT BARKLEYZZZ
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Oh I'm not asshurt at all. I'm just calling you out on a trend. If you want to call that asshurt and make it way more personal than it has to be, by all means, have your little thing. I was just qualifying your opinion for anyone else reading it and making them aware of your major disagreements with what most people think is a good quarterback.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

No, you haven't shown us anything, you said that I only like QBs with big arms, and backed it up with nothing.

I liked Matt Stafford is your argument?

I love Luck, liked Clausen a fair bit, Liked Young and Leinart way more than Cutler. I was burned by big arm QB Russell too though.

Either way, I'm trying to understand what you are saying.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

You've used the argument of arm strength and nothing else as a criticism of multiple quarterbacks in the past and thus far the numbers on some of them aren't bearing out to be in your favor. I know for a fact I'm not the only one on the board who has noticed said trend either.

Basically; to suggest Luck would be the fourth quarterback selected in this draft is absolutely asinine. Unless it was poorly orchestrated sarcasm.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 05-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

hah, before you start slinging poo against the wall, realize what I'm talking about.

thenatural said that Luck only pulled out because he was scared of Gabbert's declaration for the draft, as if he had stolen Luck's guaranteed #1.

Luck has already shown me enough to be a lock for number 1 status, and even when the rest of this board gets tired of him this season, and starts promoting a new QB while they tear apart Luck, I'll still be touting him for the top spot.

I'm still waiting for an explanation, and not an ambiguous statement about how wrong I am. I'd like to hear what QBs I said were good/bad only based on arm strength.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

First and foremost; Sam Bradford. Relative to what you've said about the guy when he was coming out, he's been Tom Brady. There's other examples as well. It's just a trend that a few people I talk with here have noticed multiple times and a difference of opinion. It's nothing personal, no need to turn into more than it was. I disagree entirely with the structure of what you've shown of your evaluational process as far as quarterbacks go.

As for the misinterpretation of sarcasm, sorry, that's a common internet problem especially without quotes and out of context. FOR EXAMPLE: said quote was mostly well intentioned banter based on prior disagreements and legitimate curiosity over perceived a perceived slight.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 05-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Yea, partially my fault :P

I don't think Bradford is Brady at all, but I stated multiple times that I thought his ceiling was Matt Hasselbeck level.

And I don't think it's about arm strength as it is about deeper routes. You can be like Rivers and have a weak noodle arm and be exceptional on deep routes.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I still love you.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that italics should be the standard for sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Luck compares really well to Bradford. Same Size,Very Accurate,Mobility,good but not Great Arm,Came back to School and I think both will go Number One Overall. The big Difference is Bradford was in a Spread while Luck is in a Pro Style.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
I think Luck compares really well to Bradford. Same Size,Very Accurate,Mobility,good but not Great Arm,Came back to School and I think both will go Number One Overall. The big Difference is Bradford was in a Spread while Luck is in a Pro Style.
Eh, Luck is heavier and thicker. Better runner. Plays in a pro set under center. Has been able to stay healthier.

Bradford has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen.

They have similarities but I don't think they're that similar.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Todd McShay basically said on the ESPN Draft podcast that he thinks the team that gets the #1 pick should draft Luck even if they drafted a QB this year. He said he'd just trade away his other QB without hesitation.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Todd McShay basically said on the ESPN Draft podcast that he thinks the team that gets the #1 pick should draft Luck even if they drafted a QB this year. He said he'd just trade away his other QB without hesitation.
I just wouldn't have drafted a QB this year if I had been in charge of a team.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
I just wouldn't have drafted a QB this year if I had been in charge of a team.
That doesn't mean you'd get Luck next year. Only 1 of 32 teams will get him and delaying the acquisition of a franchise QB can lead to losing, irrelevance, fan dissatisfaction, and a loss of job. Fans aren't under pressure to win like GMs and coaches are. It's easier to pass up a talented QB when you're a fan.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

I realize that. I just don't think any of the QBs in this draft are really good enough to start their rookie seasons. And to be honest I'd like my chances with a rookie Luck better than a Locker, Gabbert, Newton that have been playing for a year. I don't think those guys will even be on Luck's level when he's a rookie and they've been in the league a year.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Andrew Luck is the youngest quarterbacks coach in the NFL. Dead serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-kaepernick/

You've got to love this kid.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Andrew Luck is the youngest quarterbacks coach in the NFL. Dead serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-kaepernick/

You've got to love this kid.
I do Love him, He is one of my Favorite Players. This is a Smart move for all of them now that Harbaugh can't anyone the Offense.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 AM    (permalink
deepthoughtlife
Rookie

deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.deepthoughtlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My brothers and I scouted Andrew Luck this offseason before it was clear he was going back to school, and I was honestly disappointed. You see, Stanford is my third or fourth favorite school in Football (higher academically), and when I watched him during the season, I was sure he was an amazing prospect, but further examination didn't (quite) bear it out.

His arm is very good, but not great. His accuracy is excellent, but rarely pinpoint. His mechanics are mostly good, but he doesn't point his plant foot right (he under-rotates it), which leads to an awkward at times delivery as he is forced to over-rotate the rest of his body, or flat out miss the throw; to his credit, the latter was very rare. At this point, I have to rate him well behind Sam Bradford as a prospect, though that isn't much of a knock, (I was a huge fan from the moment I saw Bradford play, and IMO the only legitimate concern about Bradford was the injury).

As a Niners fan, it pleases me greatly that Luck would teach Kaepernick, who I think was a great pick, Harbaugh's system. Kaepernick may have been the most talented QB in this draft. Despite this, I very much hope Kaepernick is given his year or two learning on the bench behind Alex Smith, who can be effective if Harbaugh lets him play to his strengths, which are coincidentally very similar to Colin's, though Colin is obviously a far better runner, with a far stronger arm.

Luck is a legitimate first overall prospect, but he might not even be the most talented QB to have started the last two years in the Pac 10 (now Pac 12, of course). I'd have to give that to Matt Barkley, though Barkley would need to prove something this season to even be in contention with Luck as a prospect.

Luck would have been the surefire top QB in this class. Unlike Locker, people don't like Luck because he could be good, but because he is good. That makes him falling out of the top unlikely; someone will have to take it from him.
deepthoughtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's so great about Matt Barkley?? He was touted as the best prep prospect out the state of California since.....Elway.

Pure hype comparison. I don't see an all-world talent in Barkley, maybe a stronger arm than Sanchez, but really I don't get what it is that makes people even attempt to compare Barkley to Luck.

Maybe it's too early, maybe at the end of the 2011 season Barkley more clearly defines himself as a pro prospect, but right now the only thing I see that he has over someone like Dalton/Sanchez is arm strength, which still matters, but still.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughtlife View Post
My brothers and I scouted Andrew Luck this offseason before it was clear he was going back to school, and I was honestly disappointed. You see, Stanford is my third or fourth favorite school in Football (higher academically), and when I watched him during the season, I was sure he was an amazing prospect, but further examination didn't (quite) bear it out.

His arm is very good, but not great. His accuracy is excellent, but rarely pinpoint. His mechanics are mostly good, but he doesn't point his plant foot right (he under-rotates it), which leads to an awkward at times delivery as he is forced to over-rotate the rest of his body, or flat out miss the throw; to his credit, the latter was very rare. At this point, I have to rate him well behind Sam Bradford as a prospect, though that isn't much of a knock, (I was a huge fan from the moment I saw Bradford play, and IMO the only legitimate concern about Bradford was the injury).

As a Niners fan, it pleases me greatly that Luck would teach Kaepernick, who I think was a great pick, Harbaugh's system. Kaepernick may have been the most talented QB in this draft. Despite this, I very much hope Kaepernick is given his year or two learning on the bench behind Alex Smith, who can be effective if Harbaugh lets him play to his strengths, which are coincidentally very similar to Colin's, though Colin is obviously a far better runner, with a far stronger arm.

Luck is a legitimate first overall prospect, but he might not even be the most talented QB to have started the last two years in the Pac 10 (now Pac 12, of course). I'd have to give that to Matt Barkley, though Barkley would need to prove something this season to even be in contention with Luck as a prospect.

Luck would have been the surefire top QB in this class. Unlike Locker, people don't like Luck because he could be good, but because he is good. That makes him falling out of the top unlikely; someone will have to take it from him.
I too am still having a hard time convincing myself that Luck is this all-world, once in a decade QB prospect. Maybe my expectations are a little too high but every time I've broke down a game of his play-by-play, I've come away a little underwhelmed. The velocity on his throws are alright but will certainly need to improve moving forward. I also have concerns about the fact that at times he can be overly conservative, almost tentative when it comes to driving the ball downfield or into tight windows. Maybe its just what the system dictates but I'd like to see him just let it loose and be more confident and decisive throwing the ball downfield. Again, there is a ton too like about him and I really believe that he's the top QB prospect and one of the top overall prospects as it stands now heading into the 2012 draft. I just don't see him as the "LeBron James of quarterback prospects" that some are making him out to be.....and I'm trying hard to see it, honest.