Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. So we really should be most excited about our punter.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I agree.

And I'm not particularly worried about the LB situation. Between Lofton/Dent/Spoon/Peterson/the others we will find three who can play.

DE is the issue.
Biermann should definitely have a better season next year. Hopefully Sidbury will prove more value in his 3rd season as well. We have pieces there.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

Other than Babs and ABE who on defense does an elite offense have to worry about? Your sick of hearing about the defense but without upgrades your not going to beat the likes of Philly (who as the Falcs number everry year) Green Bay and the Saints. The Giants are much improved plus the schedule is tougher. It's not a given the Falcon's will be 13-3 again.

It goes withouit saying the young players like Moore,spoon,Bierman, Lofton need to step up but if they fail there are no reinforcements. Add in 2nd tier talent that will be paid no1 money and it isn't as easy as many make it out to be going far in the playoffs. Green Bay also as 15 people coming back from IR and will be much stronger as well as doing very well in this draft.

The Falcons will be improved but improved enough to get to the 2nd round is questionable.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconguru View Post
Other than Babs and ABE who on defense does an elite offense have to worry about? Your sick of hearing about the defense but without upgrades your not going to beat the likes of Philly
I said I'm sick of hearing that the defense is terrible. No one is saying the FO doesn't need to sign some help especially on the dline. My problem is with ppl acting like the D is crappy and the falcons were fools to virtually ignore it.
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. So we really should be most excited about our punter.
LOL, my bad and you're right....screw JJ that punter will put the Falcons over the top.
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

No one is saying the front office won't sign some people but will it be enough to stop teams loaded with all stars on both sides of the ball?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Other than Babs and ABE who on defense does an elite offense have to worry about? Your sick of hearing about the defense but without upgrades your not going to beat the likes of Philly (who as the Falcs number everry year) Green Bay and the Saints. The Giants are much improved plus the schedule is tougher. It's not a given the Falcon's will be 13-3 again.

The Falcons will be improved but improved enough to get to the 2nd round is questionable.
Beat each team last year already, moot point. 2nd Green Bay game was the perfect storm of everything that could go wrong did go wrong that game. Play it 100 more times and Green Bay never plays that way again, literally their best game in over a decade of football. No one in the NFL could have beat them, not even the 'elite' Ravens or Steelers defenses.

Who are you to say we're not improved enough to get to the 2nd round. If you remember we were in the 2nd round of the playoffs just this year. I dunno what team you've been watching but jeesh, glad I'm not seeing the same things you are. I don't think anyone who is hating on this draft truly understands the potential impact of Julio and Quizz. We didn't have a legit 3rd down back last year, so every team knew exactly what we were doing on 3rd and short, and we still did very well. We also didn't have a 2nd passing threat opposite Roddy. TG is good, but he's best at finding holes in zones, and exploiting teams that way, he's not a big play threat, and the truth of the matter is teams were dropping 8 in the box to stop Turner, and at the same time put another body in Tony's way, nullifying 2 offensive options at once. No one cared if Jenkins was in 1 on 1 or 0 on 1 coverage. He was no threat.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
No one is saying the front office won't sign some people but will it be enough to stop teams loaded with all stars on both sides of the ball?
We lost 4 games in a calendar year and people are freaking out wtf. We dominated teams, and honestly coasted too much last year cause once we got up, it was okay, grind it out.

Will any team in the NFL have enough talent to even keep up with us next year? Offense:
Matt Ryan - Pro Bowl
Michael Turner - Pro Bowl
Ovie Mughelli - Pro Bowl
Tony Gonzalez - Hall of Fame
Roddy White - Pro Bowl (top 3 WR in the NFL)
Julio Jones - Top 10 pick, elite offensive prospect

Add to that:
Harvey Dahl - Nasty Nasty man
Tyson Clabo - Pro Bowl
Justin Blaylock - pro bowl potential
McClure (who I hope is gone) - Ancient of days but we drafted his replacement
Sam Baker - When fully healthy is purely nasty, if he can keep out of the nagging injuries that slow him down he's solid.

Are you freakin kiddin me? Who has a better base formation?

We scored 25 points a game last year with the most predictable offense in the NFL, that just shows you how good of execution we had with these guys last season. Now this year you throw in the potential for a wide open playbook, with a second WR you can't afford to ignore anymore, Wowza. Throw in the fact that last year's #2 WR is now going to be able to play from the slot at 6'5 and be a major mismatch there. Giving Ryan 3 targets over 6'3" and the only one who isn't being our best WR?

I know our defense hasn't improved by anything other than having guys playing together which should help more than we can really put a finger on around here. But look at this

William Moore in his 2nd season as a starter (first full season)
Sean Weatherspoon in his 2nd season as a starter (first full season)
Kroy Biermann in his 2nd season as a starter
Curtis Lofton not playing on bum knees
Thomas Decoud in his 3rd season as a starter
Peria Jerry in his 1st season as a starter potentially
Corey Peters in his 2nd season as a starter
Grimes in his 2nd season as a full time starter
Dunta Robinson in his 2nd season in this system

You're talking about 9 of 11 players in less than their 3rd year with this defense, 8 of the 11 only in their 2nd years. C'mon now you can't tell me that players don't get significantly better and coordinators don't get more comfortable with players the more they're around them. This defense if they can stay healthy can be flat out amazing. We were leading the NFL in takeaways early in the season, and we can do that again.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
Beat each team last year already, moot point. 2nd Green Bay game was the perfect storm of everything that could go wrong did go wrong that game. Play it 100 more times and Green Bay never plays that way again, literally their best game in over a decade of football. No one in the NFL could have beat them, not even the 'elite' Ravens or Steelers defenses.

Who are you to say we're not improved enough to get to the 2nd round. If you remember we were in the 2nd round of the playoffs just this year. I dunno what team you've been watching but jeesh, glad I'm not seeing the same things you are. I don't think anyone who is hating on this draft truly understands the potential impact of Julio and Quizz. We didn't have a legit 3rd down back last year, so every team knew exactly what we were doing on 3rd and short, and we still did very well. We also didn't have a 2nd passing threat opposite Roddy. TG is good, but he's best at finding holes in zones, and exploiting teams that way, he's not a big play threat, and the truth of the matter is teams were dropping 8 in the box to stop Turner, and at the same time put another body in Tony's way, nullifying 2 offensive options at once. No one cared if Jenkins was in 1 on 1 or 0 on 1 coverage. He was no threat.
So should we start printing Super Bowl tickets? I believe the Falcon's are finding out that playoff football is alot different than regular season football. Some players rise to the occassion in playoff football and others don't. The Falcon's need to play their best ball in the playoffs and not fall back on what they did in the regular season. I guess some folks don't see a difference between playoff football vs the regular season.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
So should we start printing Super Bowl tickets? I believe the Falcon's are finding out that playoff football is alot different than regular season football. Some players rise to the occassion in playoff football and others don't. The Falcon's need to play their best ball in the playoffs and not fall back on what they did in the regular season. I guess some folks don't see a difference between playoff football vs the regular season.
The game is still the game, nothing changes, you can speak in cliches all you want, doesn't make them any more correct. Game is still 60 mins, no rules change, no players transmorph nothing like that.

We played our worst game of the season, in fact, our worst game of the last 3 seasons, and it had nothing to do with being in the playoffs. It had everything to do with our coach making a call to go for it when we should have taken the field goal and it turning from 3 points for us to 7 points for Green Bay when our QB made a bone headed throw, playoffs or not that was going to be a pick 6.

Despite that back breaking play we continued to fight back in the 2nd half, only to have a mountain of turnovers pile up on us. From Jenkins fumbling the ball on our last ditch effort all the way down. That game was not Falcons football at all, playoffs had literally nothing to do with it. So you can blame the playoffs, you can blame our defense (which was a very solid defense all season long btw) you can blame not having a defensive end, in which case you'd be totally wrong, since 1 player isn't going to make this defense magically elite.

So no, I'm not saying print Super Bowl tickets this year, but soon. Maybe even this year, we have what we need to get there, we just need to not implode. Against the Cardinals, that had nothing to do with playoffs, that had everything to do with refs, and in the end despite being shat on all game long, having a chance to get the ball back to win, and Keith Brooking (a guy who had been to the playoffs, been to the Super Bowl and made plenty plays) totally bending us over and taking that away from us.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

I realize this is a growing team.It has young players who will develop, pro bowlers and added new pieces yet lets not get to giddy expecting a Super Bowl next year. Sure it would be great but I think the team will still go through growing pains.Its a process and just making the playoffs is one step we are just getting used to. The next step is to go far in the playoffs but lets win a playoff game first which is the next step in the process.

I don't unders estimate the Falcon's but don't under estimate the other teams who will be coming back stronger next year. Tampa,New Orleans,Philly,Green Bay, the Bears, Giants and improving Lions team. Also consider are the Falcon's really a 13-3 team? It takes alot of breaks to win the close ones and breaks to lose. Look at the wins many vs bad and average teams. Every once in a awhile the Falcon's would beat a good team but by no means can we say vs a good team its an automatic W.

It will be interesting to see how the team progresses and how the coaches game plan. The off season is a time to recharge the battery and every one gets excited their team as solved many problems and will win. It should be an interesting year whenever we get this blasted lockout done with.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to point out something that many 'hardcore' football fans tend to shy away from saying. I'm glad the Falcons offense will likely be more entertaining next year. It was rather boring and predictable last year. Many blame the coaches, but I felt it was more a product of the talent.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, I loved it.

I love the physical mentality we have/had on offense.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

These posts are way too long. Making an argument that we're a young team and should improve based of that is one worst arguments I've ever seen. Being a sports fan for so long, and reading the same thing for years, that's been one of the biggest things that has bugged me for a long time.

Just FYI, Our team is young, but there are still 18 teams younger than us based on average. According to how some people think, that would mean 18 teams are getting better than us next year. Doesn't work like that, youth is overrated.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im gonna have to say the Packers O still is the fav.

qb- rodgers
rb-grant
wr- jennings, driver, jordy, jones(now randall cobb, DJ williams)
te- Finley
ol- already solid, just added a solid one to the mix

That O right there is gonna be nasty, so many weapons, and their D is far superior to ours in terms of rushing the passer and an elite secondary
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
Im gonna have to say the Packers O still is the fav.

qb- rodgers
rb-grant
wr- jennings, driver, jordy, jones(now randall cobb, DJ williams)
te- Finley
ol- already solid, just added a solid one to the mix

That O right there is gonna be nasty, so many weapons, and their D is far superior to ours in terms of rushing the passer and an elite secondary
Their secondary is older than dirt. It's their pass rush that was making them look good. Which we neutralized perfectly in the first meeting, just didn't do so well in the 2nd. Yes they have an elite offense, but our RB is better than theirs coming back from a major injury. I would take our WRs over theres ***IF*** Julio plays up to his potential. Obviously TG is going to the Hall, and Finley is no where close, but Finley is a major playmaker, going to be interesting how he does coming back from his injury as well. The OL was awful 2 years ago, and amazing last year with the same OL. Dunno if it was just the passage of time, but it could be back to busters this year.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
These posts are way too long. Making an argument that we're a young team and should improve based of that is one worst arguments I've ever seen. Being a sports fan for so long, and reading the same thing for years, that's been one of the biggest things that has bugged me for a long time.

Just FYI, Our team is young, but there are still 18 teams younger than us based on average. According to how some people think, that would mean 18 teams are getting better than us next year. Doesn't work like that, youth is overrated.
So you're telling me teams don't develop with time? That what you draft is what you get? Seriously? You're going to go there? Laugh

In all seriousness I didn't say the youngest players make the team better, but guys going into their 3rd seasons generally see the biggest step forward for *most* positions. They are comfortable with the calls, they are comfortable with the guys around them, and they are comfortable with the speed of the game. If you think that's the worst argument you've ever read, you should go back and read some of your own posts.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

**** it, no comment.

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 05-04-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the Falcons draft. It was a steep price to pay for Jones, but if he's the guy I like acting aggressively to get what you think is the final piece. I hope it works out for Gonzo's sake. I like Dent, I think he'll be a solid middle linebacker, and Quizz is good value in round 5. Good playmaker at that slot. Call me a Cliff Matthews fan, I like the size and strength he provides, and Jackson is a good developmental prospect on the line.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
So you're telling me teams don't develop with time? That what you draft is what you get? Seriously? You're going to go there? Laugh

In all seriousness I didn't say the youngest players make the team better, but guys going into their 3rd seasons generally see the biggest step forward for *most* positions. They are comfortable with the calls, they are comfortable with the guys around them, and they are comfortable with the speed of the game. If you think that's the worst argument you've ever read, you should go back and read some of your own posts.
Why not just take the whole post and talk about that instead of pulling one sentence out of context and respond just on that?

and stop posting like it's personal.

My point was (for example), we got raped by Packers in the playoffs, but it's ok we should improve next season and be better since we are young. Well Packers are actually younger than us, so going by "youth this year = success next year" would mean they should spank us even more next year. You might be right, and I may just argue for the heck of it, but if you're gonna prove so try responding in a way that won't make you look like a dick.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quit being wrong.

I never said the younger you are = how much you get better.

I said, we have guys going into the 2nd and 3rd years together as starters at the NFL level. That's going to help us improve right there alone, and we weren't a bad defense in the first place.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Quote:
Their secondary is older than dirt. It's their pass rush that was making them look good. Which we neutralized perfectly in the first meeting, just didn't do so well in the 2nd. Yes they have an elite offense, but our RB is better than theirs coming back from a major injury. I would take our WRs over theres ***IF*** Julio plays up to his potential. Obviously TG is going to the Hall, and Finley is no where close, but Finley is a major playmaker, going to be interesting how he does coming back from his injury as well. The OL was awful 2 years ago, and amazing last year with the same OL. Dunno if it was just the passage of time, but it could be back to busters this year.
Sam shields (23), Tramon Williams (28), Davon House (rookie, highly regarded) those are the corners outside of Woodson. I don't see the Packers secondary as being old.Green Bay will be a thorn for quite awhile to teams challenging to make a Super Bowl run.The Falcons are still young in their development and need to add a few impact players on defense to be considered a threat every year for the crown.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our defense will definitely improve with experience. But the decline of one player, Abe, would neutralize the improvements of the others IMO.

And yes, many other teams are younger than us. However, most of our impact players, along with our defense, are young and played crucial roles on a 13-3 first seed. Most of those young teams were at the bottom of the league last season.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

I'm not even a little bit afraid of Williams or Shields or House with Roddy Julio TG and Ryan. They don't scare me at all. The only players in their secondary that are imposing are Nick Collins and Charles Woodson. Woodson is about done too. Much like Al Harris' lighting fast fall from 'elite' to awful.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

You're insane...

Woodson was great for GB last year as a SS type player.