Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default More Trouble for Ohio State?

Quote:
Ohio State's big fear throughout this process is that something else would come to light, another layer that could bring more trouble.

It might have just arrived.

The Columbus Dispatch reports Saturday that Ohio State will investigate used-car purchases made by dozens of Buckeyes players at two Columbus-area dealerships. According to the newspaper, the school investigation will examine at least 50 sales to both Ohio State players and their relatives to see if any improper benefits were provided.

Ohio State compliance director Doug Archie told The Dispatch, "I have nothing to believe a violation has occurred." Archie also said that he was aware of all the players' car purchases but not those made by their relatives.
NCAA rules don't prohibit athletes from shopping at the same stores, eating at the same restaurants or buying cars at the same dealerships. The rules prohibit athletes and their relatives from receiving discounts that are not offered to the general public.

Some nuggets from the story:
Both dealerships call Ohio State's compliance office when athletes are buying cars and provide purchase prices and loan information. Ohio State will occasionally check purchase prices against the Kelley Blue Book values.
Public records show that in 2009, a 2-year-old Chrysler 300 with less than 20,000 miles was titled to then-sophomore linebacker Thaddeus Gibson. Documents show the purchase price as $0. ... Gibson said he was unaware the title on his car showed zero as the sales price. "I paid for the car, and I'm still paying for it," he said, declining to answer further questions.
A salesman who worked at both dealerships, Aaron Kniffin, and one of the dealership owners, Jason Goss, attended seven football games as guests of players, including the 2007 BCS National Championship game and the 2009 Fiesta Bowl. After the 2008 season, Archie removed Kniffin from the players' guest list because Ohio State doesn't allow those who do business with the players to be on the list.
Two former NCAA enforcement officials, who spoke to The Dispatch on the condition of anonymity, said there's cause for concern. The two collectively have decades of NCAA compliance experience. Neither had ever heard of so many athletes buying cars from the same salesman.
Officials at two national car-valuation companies -- National Automobile Dealers Association and Kelley Blue Book -- were asked by The Dispatch to estimate the value of the cars at the time of purchase. The values they estimated were higher than the price paid in nearly half of the transactions. However, they said it's difficult to accurately evaluate the sales without seeing the vehicles to assess condition and options.
Among the players who bought cars from the dealerships are quarterback Terrelle Pryor, running back Dan Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey, Buckeyes basketball player William Buford and former running back Chris Wells. Cars also have been sold to Pryor's mother and brother and Herron's father, and Pryor also received loaner cars from Kniffin.
Kniffin told The Dispatch that the sales prices for the cars were much higher than what is listed on state motor-vehicle records. Goss disputed that claim.
Kniffin, who said he is not an OSU fan, has had financial problems since 2006. He now owes more than $130,000 to the IRS, and his $570,000 Delaware County home is in foreclosure.
Kniffin told The Dispatch that he has sold cars to at least four dozen OSU athletes and their relatives, that the OSU compliance staff directed them to him, and that university officials reviewed all documents before sales were final. Archie said that he has spoken to Kniffin only once, never reviews sales documents and has not directed players to any dealerships.

There's a lot of smoke here for Ohio State at a very bad time. Archie plans to look at the transactions and work with the Big Ten during the investigation. But this could once again open things up to the NCAA, which recently has spent a lot of time in Columbus.

Some folks close to the Buckeyes program told me in March that players' cars could be the next issue, especially if the NCAA began digging. The Dispatch report has to be on the radar in Indianapolis, and it'll be interesting to see how this process unfolds.

Tressel isn't mentioned in The Dispatch report, but there will be questions asked about what he or other Buckeyes coaches knew of these transactions.
LINK
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really not surprised.

Some people have wondered if Kiffin will save his own *** from criminal charges and say the $0 purchase price was correct and the documents submitted to the state were accurate? Or will he cover for OSU and say Gibson actually bought the car but he sent in false documents showing a $0 purchase price. Interesting decision he has to make.

Personally, he might have no choice, because if he saves himself from criminal charges, he might have trouble getting out of Columbus.
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are always a ton of other stuff like this going on, all you have to do is start looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they better get at least the punishment that USC got and probably a lot more if it was actually 50+ cars
Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too bad noone listened to Maurice Clarett when he threatened to start naming violations. This investigation could've started weeding through this mess years ago.

I did find it funny that, while watching Pawn Stars, a guy was trying to sell "Golden Pants" that he had gotten from Doug Worthington and others.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is ******* awesome. Can you say biggest cheaters in CFB?
CrankthatCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Tressel's seat is getting hot.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
they better get at least the punishment that USC got and probably a lot more if it was actually 50+ cars
at the rate they are going, it better be more than what we got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
at the rate they are going, it better be more than what we got.
Breaking News: FBI investigators find naked pictures of NCAA President Mark Emmert operating farm equipment found in Jim Tressel's closet.

yes, this is a joke
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Breaking News: FBI investigators find naked pictures of NCAA President Mark Emmert operating farm equipment found in Jim Tressel's closet.

yes, this is a joke
was i suppose to laugh?

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Jim Tressel's seat is getting hot.
It was already hot months ago, it is about to be on fire. The worse thing about this is that it seems like OSU won't even fire Tressel until it is too late. But it is looking like this could end up being worse then USC's punishment, especially if this goes deeper.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want JT fired. Yesterday.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
was i suppose to laugh?
Nah. I was just conjecturing why OSU hasn't been hammered yet. I thought I picked the obvious one.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I want JT fired. Yesterday.
Well Urban isnt coaching for a while, who you want?

Quote:
Old 05-08-2011, 11:45 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well Urban isnt coaching for a while, who you want?
No idea at this point. With the off the field issues that Urban had at UF, I'm not sure if he'd be the right hire from a PR point at this time. I'd love to have him as the HC, but I doubt if he'd even be up for it at this time in his life. Going from the pressures of UF to the pressures of OSU would like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I think JT is going to stick around until the poo really hits the fan. I doubt if he retires. He is going to make them fire him.

OTOH, I doubt if this car thing isn't as big as it's being made out to be. It may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it almost all seems shady yet aboveboard.

I don't think any major university wants investigators looking into the rides and bling that their players have.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 AM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just think the thing this whole thing taught us is that tOSU is EXACTLY like every other succesful program in CFB. All that BS the school and their fans spew about "shaping young men yadda yadda yadda" is just absolute horse ****. tOSU is at the bottom of the barrel to be completely honest.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no they aren't like every school in the NCAA, to lump in every school with cheaters like them is just dumb
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 AM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

Well, I said succesful program.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankthatCrabtree View Post
Well, I said succesful program.
LULz. Only a handful of other schools have been more successful in recent history.

Seriously though, it's too bad Tressel had to fall off his high horse. He's destroyed his entire persona and taken the entire program and school reputation down with him.

I used to be able to say I was proud to be a an OSU grad, now it's getting pretty tough.
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear the elf View Post
Seriously though, it's too bad Tressel had to fall off his high horse. He's destroyed his entire persona and taken the entire program and school reputation down with him.
That's the irony. Youngstown State seriously questions how Tressel got the "reputation" in the first place.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True. Well however he got it, he played it up well, for as long as possible. Now not living up to it is going to cost him his job along with some major sanctions for OSU.
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
That's the irony. Youngstown State seriously questions how Tressel got the "reputation" in the first place.
And as a 49ers fan, you completely understand what kind of shady activity comes from Y-Town.

I never understood the persona either. He seems like a good enough guy, but is a politician in that he has mastered how to say nothing and keep everything in house.

On the development side of things, he seems to promote and emphasize good character in players, but in the end, he turns his head from the wrongdoings and tries to bury it when he sniffs it out. Not the kind of role model these kids need.

This LSUFreek gif cracks me up.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
And as a 49ers fan, you completely understand what kind of shady activity comes from Y-Town.
Not even as a 49ers fan. I have several family in Austintown, OH. My cousin's grandmother was friends with DeBartolo,Sr. and went to the same highschool as Carmen Policy (Ursiline). Its because of my cousin I became of fan of the 49ers in 1983. I won't say that the city propogates shady behavior but I get your jest.

Quite aware. Youngstown ftw! :P
Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Not even as a 49ers fan. I have several family in Austintown, OH. My cousin's grandmother was friends with DeBartolo,Sr. and went to the same highschool as Carmen Policy (Ursiline). Its because of my cousin I became of fan of the 49ers in 1983. I won't say that the city propogates shady behavior but I get your jest.

Quite aware. Youngstown ftw! :P
Y-Town, and to a lesser extent, Northeast Ahia in general, has huge issues with corruption. I'll leave to the reader to interpret that.

I am generalizing and not trying to denigrate the whole region, but if you are a power player from Y-Town, then you likely have some dirt on you. I know plenty of great people from the area, but it's a hard knocks place.

BTW, Austintown has some good football.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dorian Bell transferring to Pitt apparently.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is online now   Reply With Quote