Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gave the draft a D. I feel this team just got younger. That's a good thing, but I don't feel it's better. We are replacing positions that are relatively unimportant (FB, Blocking TE, 3rd rb). I really feel we could have got nearly equal value in FA for those picks (except our new 3rd runningback - Vereen).

I mean, we seriously just invested a 3rd round pick into a fullback. A ****ing fullback. Are you kidding me?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A fullback conversion prospect, even.

I'm a very big fan of the first three picks as individual players...so much so that I'm OK with glossing over other needs...but I'm not OK with dicking around like we won the Super Bowl and our general approach. It's a draft that will be remembered for being less than the sum of it's individual parts simply because we didn't do anything to make the team better right away.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Desc.
The only reason I gave it a C was bc I really like the Solder, Dowling, Vereen and Mallett picks.
Raised it from a D to a C. That and the first two trades. I really like the value we got.
I tend to wonder how Bonner or Sintim would look in a NE uniform.
I don't think their lack of production on other teams means they would have had similar results with us.

I agree that the blocking TE and FB picks were shockers.
Is it just me or was the 6th rd OLB selection a kick in the nuts?
Seriously Bill? At this point, we don't believe you were ever interested in addressing the need.
We're not falling for it now lol

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Is it just me or was the 6th rd OLB selection a kick in the nuts?
Seriously Bill? At this point, we don't believe you were ever interested in addressing the need.
We're not falling for it now lol
It's like asking your Mom for Nike's and having her come home with that weird brand from Walmart and selling you on how it's the same thing. It really ******* isn't Billy boy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahahahaha... exactly...

"WTF is this, mom? That's not what I asked for!"
"I asked the salesman. He said they're the same thing"

Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking it was a roster space issue. They only drafted players at positions with players on their way out the door. They weren't going after anyone's job or trying to replace any starters in this draft.

When you look at their DL, they have 8 guys under 25 and I think most of them showed a lot of promise. And at OLB, they do have Eric Moore, who was a beast for them. They couldn't fully utilize Moore as an OLB because they had so many injuries along the DL, so he was forced into a bit of a hybrid role. Once everyone's healthy, the front seven is going to look worlds better than it did in 2010.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Honestly, once it was clear we werent taking an OLB, E. Moore was the guy I was thinkin BB has a lot of faith in. I look forward to seeing his progression.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I wouldn't exactly have said that Eric Moore was a "beast". He was pretty good, but it mostly came out of subpackages and such. I think he can be a pretty good piece player for us, but I'm not confident enough in him at all to go out and completely pass on superior talent.

Injuries are going to hit this LB'ing core pretty damn hard too. We're really paper thin there.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I wouldn't exactly have said that Eric Moore was a "beast". He was pretty good, but it mostly came out of subpackages and such. I think he can be a pretty good piece player for us, but I'm not confident enough in him at all to go out and completely pass on superior talent.

Injuries are going to hit this LB'ing core pretty damn hard too. We're really paper thin there.
I actually think depth wise the bodies we have is ok. Cunningham, Moore, TBC and Ninkovich gives a solid rotation...what is lacking is a true stud. Add in that Fletcher and Guyton could both log time outside and the number of players there is ok.

I think it will remain to be seen how good this draft could be. Everyone hated it last year when they passed on Hughes and Kindle. Just because someone plays at a position of need I think we tend to kinda crave them a little. I never bought the Sheard hype and didn't like Reed's fit in our defense.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Cunningham missed significant time last year, and worst yet was slowed for a long period of time when he did actually get in there.

Tully had some hamstring issues at times last year that really limited him play down the stretch.

Same thing with Moore, except he played through it for the most part.

Rob Ninkovich tore a ligament in his knee during the playoff game and we still don't really know if he'll be ready in time...

Guyton and Fletcher have no business playing OLB, Guyton especially. Build up speed doesn't play well coming off the edge, and he struggles getting off blocks in a big way on top of that.

So yeah, I'm not all that confident in this groups ability to stay healthy....and I'm not confident in their ability to play all that well either, to be honest.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-02-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cunningham missed significant time last year, and worst yet was slowed for a long period of time when he did actually get in there.

Tully had some hamstring issues at times last year that really limited him play down the stretch.

Same thing with Moore, except he played through it for the most part.

Rob Ninkovich tore a ligament in his knee during the playoff game and we still don't really know if he'll be ready in time...

Guyton and Fletcher have no business playing OLB, Guyton especially. Build up speed doesn't play well coming off the edge, and he struggles getting off blocks in a big way on top of that.

So yeah, I'm not all that confident in this groups ability to stay healthy....and I'm not confident in their ability to play all that well either, to be honest.
The D is in a sub package nearly half the time when they play either a four man line or a 3-3-5. This limits the amounts of snaps the bigger OLBs play and Guyton is perfectly suited as a WILL.

I agree with the injuries comment but you can't afford to carry more than 8 LBs, 9 at a stretch

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That's sort of my point. Many of these guys, I'm looking at you Tully, would be cut with proper competition.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I think it will remain to be seen how good this draft could be. Everyone hated it last year when they passed on Hughes and Kindle. Just because someone plays at a position of need I think we tend to kinda crave them a little. I never bought the Sheard hype and didn't like Reed's fit in our defense.
Last year was a great draft because we hit big with 5 out of 12 picks. That's a complete anomaly. We still have a big hole at OLB and almost no pass rush. This group might end up the same, and we still will have that hole. We have solid LBs, but none of them are good pass rushers.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look at it this way... How many 3-4 Defensive Ends have been drafted in the last 4-5 years and are starting? How many are playing really well? The first list consists of a few players (Tyson Jackson, Calais Campbell?, ?) and the latter question really only has Glenn Dorsey, who was kind of square-peg, round-holed into the position.

The talent just hasn't been there for the Pats. And they've been proven fairly right by the fact that the guys they've passed on aren't doing anything. Cam Jordan, to me, was maybe a Jarvis Green type of player in this defense. The Pats already have a couple guys like that. Jarvis Jenkins seemed like a nice player, but he's also a bit of a project...which the Pats just don't have room for right now.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I disagree about Cam Jordan being limited to being a Jarvis Green type of player. Green was a nice player, but I honestly feel Jordan could come in and be that type of guy right away and continue to improve. But my subjective opinion is just as good as your subjective opinion until the facts bear out over time, so yeah, we'll just have to wait and see how that one turns out in the end. You well could be right...but I feel like I've got a real solid feel on Jordan from watching a **** ton of his film this year that says you're selling him short.

We don't have room for a project when we're carrying players the rest of the league would likely cut? I mean, I know Bill is good with these diamond in the rough types, but that's the thing. We legit had practice squad quality players up at points last year. None of these guys we have right now are indispensable to the team. I could realistically see any of them cut for the next guy off the street that shows up and works out well in Foxborough, and I'm fairly certain Bill sees it the same way based on the roster movement we've seen at the position over the past six months.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ryan Mallet compared himself to being alot like Tom Brady today. God I hope this relationship works out haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It would be so much more exciting if it didn't.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=6471962

Brady's foot is apparently healing well. Something that didn't get talked about enough last season, I think. Amazing he had the year he did with his plant foot broken.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Nandoss
Rookie

Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.Nandoss could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=6471962

Brady's foot is apparently healing well. Something that didn't get talked about enough last season, I think. Amazing he had the year he did with his plant foot broken.
Brady doesn't get nearly enough credit for how good he is. He gets talked about a lot, but they usually just say the random things you say about great QBs. He is tougher then he's given credit, he is smarter and he never dumps on his teammates even when it's clear he got the short end of the stick on a play.
Nandoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

#62 J. Mayo - Top 100 Players voted by the Players

Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayo needs to make a big jump in 2012. I think he's a beast and will do so w/out issue, assuming health.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I wish he was more of a turnover machine. 1 FF and 0 int's needs to increase.
A line of 5 sacks, 3 Ints and 5 FF's would be amazing

I'm aware these aren't turnovers

Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marcus Cannon on the lump found at the combine: "It's completely gone"

PUP anyone? Maybe he won't be on IR.

edit: Solder, Mankins, Koppen, Cannon, Vollmer... as a starting OL for 5 years (assuming a young C isn't brought in) is a pretty stud OL.

Last edited by descendency : 05-19-2011 at 04:28 PM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Friggin' sweet. NOW GET INTO THE WEIGHT ROOM!
Day 1 starter at RG... I can definitely wish

Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

That running game is going to be amazing if Cannon can get healthy quickly.