Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
Tressel was a good coach. he'll be out of football only as long as he wants to be. if he uses this as a learning experience, he'll be even better for it. its unfortunate that boosters and other problems within the program cost him his job. it was bound to happen, eventually. you can't know about these issues and just ignore them and expect to keep moving along. the NCAA is view it as lying to them because he signed the paper before last season stating that he knew of no ineligible players when in fact he knew that Pryor and Co were in fact ineligible.

like i said, he's a good coach and he'll land on his feet.

who are the main targets for OSU, in this early stage? (knowing they aren't hiring until after the season)

Luke Fickell (the interim head coach)
Bo Pelini
Urban Meyer
Mark Dantonio
Jon Gruden

will be the ones people draw lines to b/c of OSU connections and whatnot. I don't think D'antonio will be hired though, but he'll generate talk since he is a successful head coach at a big program and is a Buckeye. Tony Dungy even has generated some talk. I just hope it's not Gene Smith making the hire, things haven't gotten better since he's been here.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great article dealing all of the occurrences:

http://genuinelysarcastic.blogspot.c...tting-lie.html
Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
Tressel was a good coach. he'll be out of football only as long as he wants to be. if he uses this as a learning experience, he'll be even better for it. its unfortunate that boosters and other problems within the program cost him his job.
Learn from it? Alot of the same type of stuff was reportedly occuring at Youngstown State when Tressel coached there.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tressel's next job will be as an AD somewhere (most thought he was going to be the AD at tOSU after the current one retired). He won't be coaching again.

I respect Tressel quite a bit even though I hate Ohio State. I really feel this is the NCAA going after big programs to try and scare everyone else away from it, but everyone knows the NCAA can't keep up with them and they won't fine them more than they can make from cheating. (In other words, if I cheat I can win more games and therefore collect more donations and win more awards, whereas they might be meaningless after the fact, but everyone already will have their rings, memories, and money from it. The NCAA just scratches their name out on a piece of paper)
Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Great article dealing all of the occurrences:

http://genuinelysarcastic.blogspot.c...tting-lie.html
If all of that is legitimate.... WOW!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

legitimate? only about 5% of that stuff on that timeline has to do with Tressel, the rest is players getting arrested every once in a while which happens everywhere. the only stuff that has to do with Tressel is the YSU stuff (which wasn't really a big deal for the school, it might get blown out of proportion though now that the scandal at OSU has taken place) - and then the tattoo scandal.

BTW this big SI article that comes out tonight/tomorrow that supposedly says all this bombshell info that would get Tressel fired basically states that 9 players sold memorabilia for tattoos and 4 sold it for drugs (weed?). who was expecting worse?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
legitimate? only about 5% of that stuff on that timeline has to do with Tressel, the rest is players getting arrested every once in a while which happens everywhere. the only stuff that has to do with Tressel is the YSU stuff (which wasn't really a big deal for the school, it might get blown out of proportion though now that the scandal at OSU has taken place) - and then the tattoo scandal.

BTW this big SI article that comes out tonight/tomorrow that supposedly says all this bombshell info that would get Tressel fired basically states that 9 players sold memorabilia for tattoos and 4 sold it for drugs (weed?). who was expecting worse?
So player after player after player after player being arrested for and/ or accused of either illegal acts or receiving illegal benefits shouldn't reflect on their coach? That rumors of benefits and booster "mentors" running awash all on Tressel watch with his knowledge and you don't see ANY connection?

I might make a trip down to Jeannette tonight aand see if I can get some mentoring from Ted Sarniak.

I'm not hating on Tressel. I think stuff like this goes on at schools all over the country. However, to just dismiss all of this stuff as meaningless seems too homeristic.

Last edited by phlysac : 05-30-2011 at 06:04 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

point shaving.......

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
point shaving.......
I heard some rumors about that before, so if thats true, goodbye OSU.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
So player after player after player after player being arrested for and/ or accused of either illegal acts or receiving illegal benefits shouldn't reflect on their coach? That rumors of benefits and booster "mentors" running awash all on Tressel watch with his knowledge and you don't see ANY connection?

I might make a trip down to Jeannette tonight aand see if I can get some mentoring from Ted Sarniak.

I'm not hating on Tressel. I think stuff like this goes on at schools all over the country. However, to just dismiss all of this stuff as meaningless seems too homeristic.

player after player? there wasn't a terribly overabundant amount of arrests at OSU. Like any big program some players get in trouble every year or two. The troublesome players paled in comparison to the fact that the GPA and APR at the OSU football program was amongst the best in the country under Tressel. His resignation had nothing to do with some of his players getting in trouble in the past.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LMAO, Never underestimate the stupidity of Terrelle Pryor.

"@ LanternSports: Pryor arrived in WHAC in Nissan 350z with temp tags from May 24. He waved to the cameras."

http://twitter.com/#!/LanternSports
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

lol, nothing surprises me about pryor anymore.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get how tOSU fans give credit to Tressel for "shaping young men" and all that ********, but not put any of the blame on him for all the cheating these "great young men" do. Such a ridiculous double standard.
CrankthatCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Urban Meyer goes to OSU I wouldnt be able to respect him...resigning 2 years in a row for personal reasons and then coming back.

Im curious to see if they go hard after someone right now or if they wait till the season is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
player after player? there wasn't a terribly overabundant amount of arrests at OSU. Like any big program some players get in trouble every year or two. The troublesome players paled in comparison to the fact that the GPA and APR at the OSU football program was amongst the best in the country under Tressel. His resignation had nothing to do with some of his players getting in trouble in the past.
But it's not just the arrests. Its the arrests, plus the benefits, plus the 400-ish self-reported recruiting violations, plus the lying to the NCAA, plus the cover-up of ineligibility, etc, etc.

The players getting in trouble in the past is absolutely a reflection on the coach and the program. Were they the fault of Tressel, or his direct responsibility? Absolutely not, but it outlines a culture within the program.

I'm a Pitt-guy, I saw Wannstedt (a coach who was considered of highest moral character and a good example for his athletes) fired in part because of an influx off off-the-field issues with his players. Was it Stache's fault? No, but you have to start at the top.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

mmm....the other stuff is trifles. the dishonesty to cover up players breaking eligiblity rules was what was the big deal. like one guy said today, Tressel tried too hard to treat his players like his kids and in the end it cost him his job.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
this is ********, way to go Gene Smith and Gordon Gee by
Gordon Gee is a co******r... I hate that guy.
That bast*** BCS-pimp.

As for Tressel covering up over and over for his punk players: that's a sign of the times.
It's happening more and more, all over.

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 05-30-2011 at 08:05 PM.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
If Urban Meyer goes to OSU I wouldnt be able to respect him...resigning 2 years in a row for personal reasons and then coming back.

Im curious to see if they go hard after someone right now or if they wait till the season is over.
Bro, I pretty sure they said that they are sticking with Fickell this year and won't begin coaching search till after this season. But I would bet that they are already or have already contacted their top targets, Meyer has to be one of them.

I lost respect for Meyer when he quit the first time. Grateful for the titles, but he butt f***ed our recruiting class with his hores**t and loyalty to Adazzio.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:08 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
mmm....the other stuff is trifles. the dishonesty to cover up players breaking eligiblity rules was what was the big deal. like one guy said today, Tressel tried too hard to treat his players like his kids and in the end it cost him his job.
Seems more like that Tressel was doing whatever it took to win and this case it meant cheating. Stop sugarcoating it. It is ridiculous
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Luke Fickell is coach for this season. If he does well he'll probably keep the job (already being compared to Pat Fitzgerald, a young former player who also had to take over as HC on spot duty after Northwestern's coach got sick and died). Otherwise they'll do an extensive coaching search starting in December and they'll probably contact Meyer for sure if that's the case.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankthatCrabtree View Post
Seems more like that Tressel was doing whatever it took to win and this case it meant cheating. Stop sugarcoating it. It is ridiculous
well if you knew how the guy interacted with his players and their families you probably would give him the benefit of the doubt too. either way he was in the wrong.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullg8rdaddy View Post
Bro, I pretty sure they said that they are sticking with Fickell this year and won't begin coaching search till after this season. But I would bet that they are already or have already contacted their top targets, Meyer has to be one of them.

I lost respect for Meyer when he quit the first time. Grateful for the titles, but he butt f***ed our recruiting class with his hores**t and loyalty to Adazzio.
Yeah i didnt hear any of that. I just heard he resigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
I truly respect your support of Tressel but even the best parent in the World will lose that distinction if it is found that they hid their children's transgressions from the authorities as a mean to protect them.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
well if you knew how the guy interacted with his players and their families you probably would give him the benefit of the doubt too. either way he was in the wrong.
I get that. This is one of the reasons why I won't bash Tressel. However, it's also telling how he interacts his his players "mentors" as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

Quote:
A little naive to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. If you knew how he interacted with the kids you would think there would be no chance in ******* hell that he was one of the biggest scumbag coaches in CFB(at least who have been caught)