Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They are now focusing on Pryors many cars. I know he has 350z, a dodge charger and what else?
It looks like he has Nissian 350z, Dodge Charger and Challenger, GMC Denali, and at one time he used a Corvette at least according to this article(which shows him next to 3 of the 5 cars). It also says he was ticketed in an unspecified model also. So it could be 6 cars.

http://mgoblog.com/content/driving-cars-pryor
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is probably the best article about tressel's resignation that will be written:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/0...ho-wasnt-there
Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 AM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
this is probably the best article about tressel's resignation that will be written:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/0...ho-wasnt-there
No it's not. It is hilariously biased.
CrankthatCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well it's a response to all the negative criticism of Tressel in the media, and you won't find a better one than that.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
Because it takes the heat off of Tressel, and Gene Smith.
Pryor deserves just as much heat as Tressel and Gene Smith.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
For starters, bush's parents were accused of living in a house rent free, nobody ever purchased a house for them. The NCAA was never close to linking Carroll to knowing anything. If you ever read that NCAA report, the evidence was pretty flimsy against SC. They associated the university's "knowledge" of the infractions on the RB coach, which was based on a single two minute cell phone record showing the "agent" and McNair spoke. McNair claims to have never spoken with the agent and who knows what took place on that phone call...I could literally call someone and blabber about selling something or requesting donations for my alma mater for two minutes. If you've never read the NCAA report, it was pretty bad and the punishment hardly fits the crime. Mostly though, a theme that the NCAA repeated throughout the report was that with great power, USC had greater responsibility than it demonstrated - literally, whoever wrote these lines in the report must have watched Spiderman the night before. With a handful of self-reported and minor violations, along with the "great power, great responsibility theme," and a lot of speculative evidence, they hit SC with the "lack of institutional control." That's the truth and I'm a Cal fan.

As for Ohio State, this is more than one guy (Bush in the case of USC) receiving improper benefits - from the sounds of it, everyone knew. When violations are as blatant as is being reported, this sounds a lot more of what I would consider "lack of institutional control." I think that Ohio St.'s punishment should be more severe than SC's if even half of being reported is true, but if the punishment is not, I wouldn't be surprised either - nothing surprises me much anymore.
You are ignoring apartments out of their price range for other players and the whole OJ Mayo ordeal. It was an overall lack of institutional control for the AD. Both football and basketball were punished.

If USC had reported them instead of circling their wagons, they would not be in this much trouble. It does appear that not giving info is beneficial (i.e. Auburn) but if you get caught, your punishment will be worse.

OSU is going to be a litmus test for how schools will act when people come sniffing around. If they get less punishment than USC, then schools may be willing to be open. If not, no one in their right mind should open their doors to the NCAA.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver & Blue View Post
It looks like he has Nissian 350z, Dodge Charger and Challenger, GMC Denali, and at one time he used a Corvette at least according to this article(which shows him next to 3 of the 5 cars). It also says he was ticketed in an unspecified model also. So it could be 6 cars.

http://mgoblog.com/content/driving-cars-pryor
I "believe" that it's 7 cars that's he's temporarily driven.

He is unbelievably entitled.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankthatCrabtree View Post
You are a psycho. For all of his flaws, Tressel has done a tremendous amount of good work in his life.

Reveling in his demise is pathetic.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The players that got Tressell into trouble in the first place were adults and knew what they were doing was wrong. Its looks like schools will have to start babysitting these 18-23 year old men.

I don't believe Tressel was an all around bad guy, he did do alot of good. I hope some of the posters bashing Tressel also bash the players involved.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
The players that got Tressell into trouble in the first place were adults and knew what they were doing was wrong. Its looks like schools will have to start babysitting these 18-23 year old men.

I don't believe Tressel was an all around bad guy, he did do alot of good. I hope some of the posters bashing Tressel also bash the players involved.
You know what's sad? The team employed babysitters for classes. No kidding. OSU had a team of retired coaches and whatnot that would drop in on classes that players were taking to make sure they were in attendance. And to check on their grades. That's why OSU's APR is so high compared to other big football programs.

I'm not saying the kids were rocket scientists, but it's not hard to do well in, say, a communications or sociology class if you attend every day and have someone watching over you.

I'm sure there were people checking on their after hours behavior as well. And still this crap goes down. This is why I can't defend JT as he had to have known the tats and the cars stuff was going on. The man was a CEO control freak.

Anyways, he's rich, he won multiple NCs at two different levels of the sport, and he's still relatively young. I can't feel that bad for him.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankthatCrabtree View Post
Yes, because you are clearly a bastion of unbiased commentary on the matter

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
You know what's sad? The team employed babysitters for classes. No kidding. OSU had a team of retired coaches and whatnot that would drop in on classes that players were taking to make sure they were in attendance. And to check on their grades. That's why OSU's APR is so high compared to other big football programs.

I'm not saying the kids were rocket scientists, but it's not hard to do well in, say, a communications or sociology class if you attend every day and have someone watching over you.

I'm sure there were people checking on their after hours behavior as well. And still this crap goes down. This is why I can't defend JT as he had to have known the tats and the cars stuff was going on. The man was a CEO control freak.

Anyways, he's rich, he won multiple NCs at two different levels of the sport, and he's still relatively young. I can't feel that bad for him.

Making sure players actually attend classes and what they do in their free time are two different things. I do think Tressel had to take the fall for the cover up which he new about. I blame players just as much though. Pryor is the perfect example of this whole entitlement generation of college athletes. They have no common sense, no appreciation for the fact they are getting a really good education and think they are some sort of demigods.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basically, he was sacrificed by the school to keep a lid on the whole mess.
Schools know what goes on in their programs and they pay for most of their athletes under the table. I say you can count on maybe 2 hands the # of Div 1 schools that don't cheat, Duke anyone and I'm not sure that is true in their basketball program.
College football is a multi million dollar business where technically, the athletes don't get paid to play, but with millions of dollars at stake, you would have to be a fool to think they don't find a way around this rule and pay their athletes under the table.
This goes back a long way and I still remember in the 60's I think, when an enveloped addressed to a Kentucky basketball freshman recruit broke open in the mail with 20 thousand dollars in it, of course there were no incriminating evidence that it came from the University but it clearly showed that it costs money to get a recruit to your school. I'm sure it is even worse today with so much money at stake.
The college system is corrupt from head to foot but nobody wants to kill the golden goose who lays the eggs so for the most part, everybody just looks the other way.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
EricCartmann
Rookie

EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
In your world that seems to be the case.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:33 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You are ignoring apartments out of their price range for other players and the whole OJ Mayo ordeal. It was an overall lack of institutional control for the AD. Both football and basketball were punished.

If USC had reported them instead of circling their wagons, they would not be in this much trouble. It does appear that not giving info is beneficial (i.e. Auburn) but if you get caught, your punishment will be worse.

OSU is going to be a litmus test for how schools will act when people come sniffing around. If they get less punishment than USC, then schools may be willing to be open. If not, no one in their right mind should open their doors to the NCAA.
Agreed, I oversimplified my post, but the essence is the same. Leinart's father paid the majority of rent for his son and Dwayne Jarrett, sort of Leinart's father's bad, but this was not a known common thing at SC. The Mayo thing looked pretty bad. Mike Garrett was a total jackass though and his arrogance hurt the image of SC, probably pushed the NCAA towards a more severe punishment. Doubt hiring Kiffin helped any. Also, keep in mind that much of the reported violations in the NCAA report were self reported by USC, they fought to the end about the Reggie Bush allegations, and most of the stuff that was swirling around in the media was not in the NCAA report.

Once a scandal breaks like this - as Ohio St. fans probably now know - a lot of BS and sensationalism becomes published. I'm sure Jim Tressel and Ohio State are not as evil as he is portrayed - I always take media reports with a grain of salt. Everyone is flawed, there's some good and some bad, but the bad stuff is what everyone wants to know about.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
In your world that seems to be the case.
Why wouldn't Pryor deserve his fair share of the blame?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
Agreed, I oversimplified my post, but the essence is the same. Leinart's father paid the majority of rent for his son and Dwayne Jarrett, sort of Leinart's father's bad, but this was not a known common thing at SC. The Mayo thing looked pretty bad. Mike Garrett was a total jackass though and his arrogance hurt the image of SC, probably pushed the NCAA towards a more severe punishment. Doubt hiring Kiffin helped any. Also, keep in mind that much of the reported violations in the NCAA report were self reported by USC, they fought to the end about the Reggie Bush allegations, and most of the stuff that was swirling around in the media was not in the NCAA report.

Once a scandal breaks like this - as Ohio St. fans probably now know - a lot of BS and sensationalism becomes published. I'm sure Jim Tressel and Ohio State are not as evil as he is portrayed - I always take media reports with a grain of salt. Everyone is flawed, there's some good and some bad, but the bad stuff is what everyone wants to know about.
Good stuff.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CrankthatCrabtree is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You are a psycho. For all of his flaws, Tressel has done a tremendous amount of good work in his life.

Reveling in his demise is pathetic.
Did you even read the article? Are you trying to tell me it isn't ridiculously biased?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
As are you "sweater_vest_mafia". On another note it really does seem like OSU lost institutional control in this case. If even half the **** that is coming out is true then I don't see how you can spin it either way(unless you believe it has to be in multiple sports)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, he does not this have been going on for at least 10 years. I know most Ohio State fans are pretty much blame Pryor for this because they think Tressel is the 2nd coming of Mother Teresa who only cared for the 'kids".
Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
and your clearly not with your Ohio State sig.
Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No, he does not this have been going on for at least 10 years. I know most Ohio State fans are pretty much blame Pryor for this because they think Tressel is the 2nd coming of Mother Teresa who only cared for the 'kids".
I agree Tressel was in the wrong but do you or do you not agree that Pryor is wrong too? Im just trying to hammer home the fact the players have to take some of the blame. Pryor was the biggest recruit Tressel pulled and is now the target of his own investigations. Pryor along with all the other players knew what they were doing.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What has been going on for at least ten years?

Show me your football program and I will show you a program that cheats.

There is no way around it in major college football.

I think OSU fans that thought he was clean are naive as hell and/or a worship complex.

But I think that OSU haters that think that don't think he is a good man are complete idiots.

I'm an OSU fan that wanted to see him leave the program, as he got caught covering up his knowledge of misdoings.

What he has done to help a lot of other people is an indication of his character. What he has done to lie to protect his job is also an indication of his character.

Guess what? He lied to protect his job. Guess what? Everyone lies. He's human. BFD. His lies cost him his job. He paid the price.

Not once did you see Tressel publicly gloat or shame or defame another person.

He certainly isn't Mother Teresa, but he certainly isn't a POS like so many coaches out there (say Petrino, Nutt, Kiffen, etc..).

The character assassination by the media is disgusting. I hated ESPN before, now I hate ESPN and SI a whole bunch.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree Tressel was in the wrong but do you or do you not agree that Pryor is wrong too? Im just trying to hammer home the fact the players have to take some of the blame. Pryor was the biggest recruit Tressel pulled and is now the target of his own investigations. Pryor along with all the other players knew what they were doing.
He's just trolling.

BTW, I don't think TP plays another down as a Buckeye. The car thing is going to blow up on him. Fickell better give him the boot.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
CrankthatCrabtree
Rookie

Tressel was definately willfully blind over the past x amount of years or so. I don't think even the biggest OSU homer could deny that. You don't get players rolling into practice with new cars and not take notice. Who do OSU fans want as a replacement for him? Who is the frontrunner(after this year is over). Although I guess it is tough to have an idea of who you can hire the punishment are laid down.

Last edited by CrankthatCrabtree : 06-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.