Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Bob McKenzie, TSN:

Blockbuster: SJS trades Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle and 1st pick (No. 28) to MIN for Brent Burns and a 2nd rd pick.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, pretty good return even though we lose Burns. I'm gonna miss him but we needed some offensive talent in a very bad way.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like this trade a lot for Minnesota. I like it for the Wings too since Seto kills the Red Wings and I worry less about Minnesota as a team we'll face in the playoffs.

Isn't Burns a UFA after this season?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I like this trade a lot for Minnesota. I like it for the Wings too since Seto kills the Red Wings and I worry less about Minnesota as a team we'll face in the playoffs.

Isn't Burns a UFA after this season?
Yes, he will command a very large extension and Setoguchi's under contract for 3 years.. wonder if he signed knowing he could get moved.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Yes, he will command a very large extension and Setoguchi's under contract for 3 years.. wonder if he signed knowing he could get moved.
Which basically ensures that Minnesota won this trade.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I'm pissed the Wings didn't go after J-M Liles. Toronto got him for a 2nd rounder today.

He's like a Brian Rafalski-lite.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Which basically ensures that Minnesota won this trade.
Charlie Boyle ensures they won this trade. Real big on that kid. Let's see what they do at 28.

Colorado getting Landeskog and Siemans is very good for them. I'd love to see Mueller get healthy for them. Then signing Vokoun could make them pretty interesting in present and future.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Armia is the first Euro we've drafted in years, in any round. I think it's as fine a pick as any, really. Wasn't too excited for anyone in that spot, and honestly weren't many that I really wanted to avoid. I'm much more worried about the Regehr trade.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I'm officially pissed at Ken Holland. Trading #24 for #35 and #48 is dumb.

The Wings will never have blue chip prospects because they never draft high enough to get a guy that other teams actually might value.

We have 9 picks now. And yet we'll be lucky if ONE of them ever makes the NHL.

Holland is getting a little overconfident in his ability to find good players in later rounds. None of them will be impact guys. I don't pretend to know who is good at #24, but they'd get a better guy than the two chumps they'll get later in the draft now.

Sigh.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

In this episode of "moves that every armchair GM thinks make sense and then actually ends up happening": Dale Tallon trading for Brian Campbell and his large salary.

Interested to see return, but Hawks just ditched two roster players and a decent amount of money.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

God damn it. Brian Campbell to Florida.

Panthers just gotta get to the Salary Floor. They're like 48 million under the cap.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wonder if Tallon is taking some change back fro Campbell, or if he's getting one of their better prospects (Kulikov) back.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Olesz for Campbell straight up it appears. Olesz has 3 years left on his deal. 3.125 per.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

San Jose fans will love Brent Burns when he's good, and hate him when he's off. One of the most extreme up and down players I've seen. He's simply dominant but probably created more odd man rushes for the other team than anybody in the league.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
San Jose fans will love Brent Burns when he's good, and hate him when he's off. One of the most extreme up and down players I've seen. He's simply dominant but probably created more odd man rushes for the other team than anybody in the league.
You just described Devin Setoguchi as well. Seto will go 5-10 games without scoring a goal and then score 5 in 3 games. I wanted him traded at the beginning of last year. Only thing I hate about this trade is giving up Coyle. I don't really mind it too much though because he still is just a prospect and the Sharks are in win-now mode.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Report: The Montreal Canadiens and Detroit Red Wings are talking. Red Wings want Wisniewski's rights.
YES! This is what the Wings need.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course the Pens would take a defensemen with a lot of solid wingers on the board.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Of course the Pens would take a defensemen with a lot of solid wingers on the board.
Joe Morrow is gonna be a stud. Quit complaining. I would have taken him over any forwards left on the board besides Grimaldi.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
Joe Morrow is gonna be a stud. Quit complaining. I would have taken him over any forwards left on the board besides Grimaldi.
Not complaining. I actually like Morrow. He is going to be our PP QB in the next few years and it's nice to have great depth at D. I would have liked a forward, though. Matt Puempel, Nik Jensen, Grimaldi, Saad, Phillips would have been great as well.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Morrow is who I wanted for the Wings before they traded down from 24. I determined this based on 2.5 minutes of internet research.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Teach me how to Dougie

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very surprised the bruins passed on ryan murphy, but not complaining at all cuz we got the dougie!

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Some draft thoughts:

- not at all surprised that TOR drafted Tyler Biggs. Exactly the type of player Burke loves and he will probably have a quick trip to the NHL. Already has the build, only thing he lacks is experience. I do think he is a bit overrated as I see him more of a Wayne Simmonds-type player than a legit 1st/2nd line power forward.

- Connor Murphy is going to be a steal. He was a guy I was hoping the Sharks were targeting with the 28th pick. He's been injured the past two seasons, but the kid has a TON of talent and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns out to be one of the top 3-5 defensemen in the draft if he stays healthy.

- Philly lucked out by getting Couturier with the 8th pick. I think he can be better than Jordan Staal who went higher his draft year. Schenn and Couturier is gonna be nasty down the middle for the Flyers in the coming years.

- Jonathan Huberdeau is overrated. He disappeared for many games during the Q season and doesn't have as much talent as the other top players in this draft IMO. His stock got boosted by playing on the top junior team in the CHL.

- Ryan Murphy will be this year's Cam Fowler...except I doubt he plays in the NHL this year. I can't believe he fell out of the top 10 especially after all of the talk about how there are only 8-9 elite players in this draft and Murphy was included in that. Elite puckmover and offensive defenseman that will probably anchor Carolina's blueline in the coming years.

- Jamieson Oleksiak and Zack Phillips will be busts. Oleksiak was drafted on basically size alone. He is very raw and huge defensemen like him end up accomplishing nothing in their career a lot more often than becoming the next Tyler Myers. Phillips is another Sea Dog overrated because of the team he played on. His skating is terrible as well.

- Why did Rocco Grimaldi fall out of the 1st round? Obviously his size was the main factor, but the kid is a gamer and has talent oozing out of him. If he was even 4 inches taller he would have been a top 5-10 pick. Somebody will be getting a steal in the 2nd round.

- I really like Colorado's draft so far. The Avs picked up the most complete player in the draft and a future captain in Landeskog. Then they followed that up by selecting Duncan Siemens who is a mean shutdown defenseman with some offensive pop. He should mesh well with all of the Avs' offensive defensemen prospects.

Reaches: Stefan Noesen, Stuart Percy - to some extent: Mika Zibanejad, Mark Scheifele
Steals: Sean Couturier, Ryan Murphy - to some extent: Dougie Hamilton, Joe Morrow

Best Available: Rocco Grimaldi, Ty Rattie, Boone Jenner, Scott Mayfield, Ryan Sproul
Most Overrated Left: Tomas Jurco, Brandon Saad, Shane Prince

BoneKrusher
Old 06-25-2011, 06:08 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so was connor murphy a huge steal or do the yotes just have a raging doaner for defensemen
Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
very surprised the bruins passed on ryan murphy, but not complaining at all cuz we got the dougie!
I was going to say the same thing. No way am I complaining about Dougie, but I really wanted Ryan Murphy. If nothing else, Murphy is the perfect last name for a Boston player.