Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Whats going to help Andrew Luck is that he is going to be the Face of College Football like Newton and Tebow before him. Stanford will be on TV alot and that will help because the Pac 12 is not normally on TV so more people will see him and if he puts up close to the Numbers he did in 2010 he should Win it.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
I think Whats going to help Andrew Luck is that he is going to be the Face of College Football like Newton and Tebow before him. Stanford will be on TV alot and that will help because the Pac 12 is not normally on TV so more people will see him and if he puts up close to the Numbers he did in 2010 he should Win it.
Tebow did not win the Heisman when he was "The Face of College Football." Cam Newton didn't become "The Face of College Football" until halfway through the season. If you remember correctly, at the mid-point of the season, people were asking whether or not Denard Robinson had locked up the Heisman.

More likely, because Luck will be "The Face of College Football" he will be put under the microscope like other top prospects. Just look back at the last 5-6 years.

2005: Matt Leinart was the favorite but Bush won.
2006: Troy Smith won, but I would say Brady Quinn entered the season as the favorite.
2007: Tim Tebow was hardly on the Heisman radar this season.
2008: Sam Bradford was more on the radar than Tebow was the previous year, but Tebow was easily considered the "Face of College Football."
2009: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and Colt McCoy were all veteran QBs, two of whom had won a Heisman previously. At the end of the day, it was a running back who won the Heisman.
2010: Locker and Ingram were the favorites this year. Injuries, poor performances, and great performances by others led to them not even being close to winning.

History shows that the favorite entering the season rarely wins. They face too much scrutiny throughout the season. I'm not saying Luck won't win, but the pressure and scrutiny that comes from being the hands-down favorite, combined with losing his head coach greatly reduces the likelihood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
EricCartmann
Rookie

EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Tebow did not win the Heisman when he was "The Face of College Football." Cam Newton didn't become "The Face of College Football" until halfway through the season. If you remember correctly, at the mid-point of the season, people were asking whether or not Denard Robinson had locked up the Heisman.

More likely, because Luck will be "The Face of College Football" he will be put under the microscope like other top prospects. Just look back at the last 5-6 years.

2005: Matt Leinart was the favorite but Bush won.
2006: Troy Smith won, but I would say Brady Quinn entered the season as the favorite.
2007: Tim Tebow was hardly on the Heisman radar this season.
2008: Sam Bradford was more on the radar than Tebow was the previous year, but Tebow was easily considered the "Face of College Football."
2009: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, and Colt McCoy were all veteran QBs, two of whom had won a Heisman previously. At the end of the day, it was a running back who won the Heisman.
2010: Locker and Ingram were the favorites this year. Injuries, poor performances, and great performances by others led to them not even being close to winning.

History shows that the favorite entering the season rarely wins. They face too much scrutiny throughout the season. I'm not saying Luck won't win, but the pressure and scrutiny that comes from being the hands-down favorite, combined with losing his head coach greatly reduces the likelihood.
Nice post, but I would have to say Luck is different from all those because Luck is a CLEAR-CUT FAVORITE. Those guys you mentioned were just front runners barely holding on to the lead and could be over taken at any moment.. and they were.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
Nice post, but I would have to say Luck is different from all those because Luck is a CLEAR-CUT FAVORITE. Those guys you mentioned were just front runners barely holding on to the lead and could be over taken at any moment.. and they were.
I wouldn't say Tim Tebow was barely holding on to the lead. He had just had one of the best quarterbacking seasons ever and was leading a team that was ranked in the top-10.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Troy Smith had 80%+ of the votes when he won. Reggie wasn't as high but still almost had double the amount of total votes than the guy next to him, Leinart. They sure as hell wasn't going to give it to him twice. Smith and Bush were total clear cut favorites. They weren't "barely holding on to the lead".

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 06-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he means clear cut favorite PRIOR to the season.

Troy Smith wasn't the Heisman favorite in September, I don't think Reggie Bush was either before he won it, mainly because he was on a team with last year's winner.

Luck goes into 2011 as the Heisman favorite by a wide margin.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

Troy Smith wasn't the Heisman favorite in September, I don't think Reggie Bush was either before he won it, mainly because he was on a team with last year's winner.

The fact remains that they didn't barely hold the lead. No one was going to touch them in the votes, especially Troy Smith.

Favorites going into the season for heisman doesn't mean jack as Jrdrylie showed. It means less than preseason rankings.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
EricCartmann
Rookie

EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.EricCartmann wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:

This for the win!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM    (permalink
EricCartmann
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
The fact remains that they didn't barely hold the lead. No one was going to touch them in the votes, especially Troy Smith.

Favorites going into the season for heisman doesn't mean jack as Jrdrylie showed. It means less than preseason rankings.

I apologize for speaking 8th grade English when I should be speaking 2nd grade English.

Those favorites going into the season were not clear cut leaders like Luck is.

Those guys that Jrdrylie mentioned were only slight favorites and could be over taken at any time, and they were. Bush over took Leinart and Troy Smith overtook Brady Quinn.

Luck is different in that he is clearly above the field... does not mean he can't lose, but I would not compare Luck to any of those guys (going into the season) because as I said, unlike those guys, Luck is clearly above the field.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I apologize for speaking 8th grade English when I should be speaking 2nd grade English.

Those favorites going into the season were not clear cut leaders like Luck is.

Those guys that Jrdrylie mentioned were only slight favorites and could be over taken at any time, and they were. Bush over took Leinart and Troy Smith overtook Brady Quinn.

Luck is different in that he is clearly above the field... does not mean he can't lose, but I would not compare Luck to any of those guys (going into the season) because as I said, unlike those guys, Luck is clearly above the field.
That's cool and all but as Jdrylie mentioned, heisman favorites don't matter. A favorite is a favorite going into the season, it doesn't matter by how much.

I always thought the end result is what mattered though, and the favorites mentioned lost, you showed me good though.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 06-30-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll concede that NO ONE was a bigger Heisman favorite two years in a row than Peyton Manning was at Tennessee, 1996-1997, and he couldn't pull it off.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM    (permalink
EricCartmann
Rookie

Quote:
I'll concede that NO ONE was a bigger Heisman favorite two years in a row than Peyton Manning was at Tennessee, 1996-1997, and he couldn't pull it off.
Actually, I too will concede now that I think about it some more. Both Leinart and Quinn were pretty big favorites too and they did not pull it off either.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM    (permalink
EricCartmann
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
That's cool and all but as Jdrylie mentioned, heisman favorites don't matter. A favorite is a favorite going into the season, it doesn't matter by how much.

I always thought the end result is what mattered though, and the favorites mentioned lost, you showed me good though.
+1 too that. Winning is the only thing that matters. I feel so confident that Luck will when I am goingvto place a wager of $50 at 2.5-1 odds on Luck.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Actually, I too will concede now that I think about it some more. Both Leinart and Quinn were pretty big favorites too and they did not pull it off either.
Winning two heisman is almost impossible. Leinart may have been a big favorite, but in reality he had a slim chance.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Please don't get me started on this.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
+1 too that. Winning is the only thing that matters. I feel so confident that Luck will when I am goingvto place a wager of $50 at 2.5-1 odds on Luck.
I don't really place bets, but if I did, I would place some on Landry Jones (7-1). Greg Reid of FSU is 75-1 to win it. I really doubt he does, but it might be worth a $10 bet.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote: