Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Flyers will have to outbid the Wings. They're offering him 8 years.

[/sarcasm]

The Flyers offseason is truly baffling. I don't think I could remain a Flyers fan if I were one after what they've done.
It's pretty surprising too. There was an expectation of Carter being shipped out in order to clear cap room but then, Paul Holmgren decided he liked the adrenaline rush of trades and went nuts.

I understand a few of the moves and I'm even a bit excited for Schenn and Voracek (Simmonds too, actually) but Bryzgalov, Talbot and Jagr? Plus everything they got? No Leino?

I'm going to give it a shot. But this a completely different team. It's a younger and faster one, but we'll see. I'm comfortable with giving Giroux the keys with Briere still around but with a rapidly aging defense, a #1 goalie that is overpaid and injury/inexperience concerns? Plus, trading Powe is a blow to the penalty kill.

We'll see, I'm still a fan; but I mean, they went from a high seed playoff team to, well who the **** knows?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Trade Filppula for Yandle if that's what it will take. I think they could actually get him for less of an established player. Picks and prospects and Jakub Kindl perhaps.

Maybe I'm dreaming.
is this a joke

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yandle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

so shut your whorish mouth
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
is this a joke
I've seen good players traded for seemingly not a ton when a team has no money and ownership problems.

Package of Filppula, picks and a prospect could do it. Brendan Smith could be part of it. Not saying it's probable.

Last edited by Xiomera : 07-02-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brad Richards to the Rangers for 9 years, $58.5 million

That contract won't end well.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Is it just me, or is the salary cap actually ruining the league?

These longterm contracts are a joke. At least in the old NHL, players would sign more modest 5 year deals at healthy salaries. All this business of adding years to bring down the cap figure is really messed up, or at least it will be when the last 3 years worth of deals start reaching their final years and there's a bunch of 38 year olds making 4 and 5 million a year.

Don't even get me started about the salary floor's different set of problems.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The long-term contracts are definitely a joke.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brad Richards to the Rangers for 9 years, $58.5 million

That contract won't end well.
If it was any other team, it would. The Rangers are cursed with high paid free agents that they sign.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
If it was any other team, it would. The Rangers are cursed with high paid free agents that they sign.
Gomez, Drury, Redden, ...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've seen good players traded for seemingly not a ton when a team has no money and ownership problems.

Package of Filppula, picks and a prospect could do it. Brendan Smith could be part of it. Not saying it's probable.
Yandle was a top 5 d-man in the league last year. It would take a lot more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener being the main piece in the trade. Brendan Smith wouldn't be enough to make PHX do it.

BoneKrusher
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Quote:
Is it just me, or is the salary cap actually ruining the league?

These longterm contracts are a joke. At least in the old NHL, players would sign more modest 5 year deals at healthy salaries. All this business of adding years to bring down the cap figure is really messed up, or at least it will be when the last 3 years worth of deals start reaching their final years and there's a bunch of 38 year olds making 4 and 5 million a year.

Don't even get me started about the salary floor's different set of problems.
It's not the salary cap that's messing up all of the contracts, it's that they, for some reason, decided not to include a max number of years in the current CBA for contracts. In the previous CBA, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the max was 7 years. I don't see why they didn't keep it that way. If they want to fix all the cap circumvention, put a max number of years on the contract and have it so that one year's salary can't be any more or less than $2 or so mil than another year.

BoneKrusher
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Yandle was a top 5 d-man in the league last year. It would take a lot more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener being the main piece in the trade. Brendan Smith wouldn't be enough to make PHX do it.
Filppula would be the #2 center on most NHL teams. You can't devalue him because he plays for a team with Hank and Pav ahead of him.

Brendan Smith is a top 20-25 NHL prospect coming off a big year in his first AHL season.

I'd be very curious to know what package you think Phoenix would deal him for then (to any team). Phoenix isn't exactly in a prime bargaining position. The reports suggest Yandle is unsatisfied being a Coyote because of the team's uncertainty. Do you really think he'll sign longterm there?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
It's not the salary cap that's messing up all of the contracts, it's that they, for some reason, decided not to include a max number of years in the current CBA for contracts. In the previous CBA, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the max was 7 years. I don't see why they didn't keep it that way. If they want to fix all the cap circumvention, put a max number of years on the contract and have it so that one year's salary can't be any more or less than $2 or so mil than another year.
That lack of a maximum number of years is included in my criticism of it. But the fact that the salary cap has risen back to the level teams were spending to before the lockout is ridiculous. There aren't enough NHL players worthy of big money. But teams will feel obligated to spend to the cap to keep fans appeased and to, perhaps falsely, think it's required to be competitive.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Quote:
Filppula would be the #2 center on most NHL teams. You can't devalue him because he plays for a team with Hank and Pav ahead of him.

Brendan Smith is a top 20-25 NHL prospect coming off a big year in his first AHL season.

I'd be very curious to know what package you think Phoenix would deal him for then (to any team). Phoenix isn't exactly in a prime bargaining position. The reports suggest Yandle is unsatisfied being a Coyote because of the team's uncertainty. Do you really think he'll sign longterm there?
Teams Filppula wouldn't be the #2 center on: San Jose, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Boston, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, and Philly. That doesn't include some teams like Chicago, St. Louis, and Washington where he might not be. So that's at least 10 teams with the possibility of even more. That to me is the definition of 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Smith is a fringe top 25 prospect. I personally have him around 30-35.

It would take a legit 1st/2nd line forward or a top 4 defenseman, a top prospect, and a 1st at least. Look at what Burns got for MIN. Seto (a top 6 forward), Coyle (top 20 prospect), and a 1st. It would take more than that to get Yandle probably.

BoneKrusher
Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Devils keep hedberg for a year 1.25 mil. I like it, but we've got about 7.8 left to keep parise. Scottys nervous
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Teams Filppula wouldn't be the #2 center on: San Jose, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Boston, Vancouver, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, and Philly. That doesn't include some teams like Chicago, St. Louis, and Washington where he might not be. So that's at least 10 teams with the possibility of even more. That to me is the definition of 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Smith is a fringe top 25 prospect. I personally have him around 30-35.

It would take a legit 1st/2nd line forward or a top 4 defenseman, a top prospect, and a 1st at least. Look at what Burns got for MIN. Seto (a top 6 forward), Coyle (top 20 prospect), and a 1st. It would take more than that to get Yandle probably.
You really spent all that time determining which team he'd be a #2 center on? Two-thirds is a high number, not to mention it really only concerns whether he'd be a #2 on Phoenix.

I guess we'll see ...
Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even Connolly is cashing in this offseason!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welcome to the party, Toronto. Might've helped that 80% of Connolly's highlight plays have come against the Leafs.

I have not at all written off Connolly as a bad player. Both sides just needed a change. He's still pretty talented and was great defensively last year.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Connolly got a lot annually, but for 2 years, that has to be one of the better contracts signed by a forward, as crazy as that sounds.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simon Gagne to LA.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wings sign Ian White, there you go, Xio
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Wings sign Ian White, there you go, Xio
Absolutely love it. 2 years, 2.875 per seems totally out of place in this market.

Jensen, anything I ought to know about him?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vokoun to Caps, 1 yr, $1.5 m
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Vokoun to Caps, 1 yr, $1.5 m
Oh my god. WTF!?

LOL @ Colorado.

Gave up a 1st and 2nd for Semyon Varlamov, then signed him 3 years, 10 million. AND THEN VOKOUN SIGNS FOR 1.5!

Hahahahahaha
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Absolutely love it. 2 years, 2.875 per seems totally out of place in this market.

Jensen, anything I ought to know about him?
He's nothing special on D, but he's an outstanding puckmover and is very good on the PP. I wish the Sharks had the cap room to keep him. You'll love him in Detroit.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote