Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you'd be fairly happy with a Dell Inspiron with the AMD 6450 GPU.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...d=inspiron-620

(add the 6450 otherwise it'll be an integrated card - you don't want that.)

For $570...that's a solid deal. If you want to get closer to your $600, you can buy it without a video card and put one in yourself.

If you get a wild hair up your ass, you can replace the video card and you might be able to stick an i5 in there depending on the motherboard.

Last edited by nepg : 07-02-2011 at 04:19 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dude, I am in computers all day long. It absolutely makes a difference where it came from. You have NO idea. You can have a <insert model of great video card>, but the actual model in the machine will be put out by some ****** brand that puts fans that melt on the card. You can open the box and 50 pieces of ****** plastic break.

I have a bias for building my own, but I'm not suggesting he do that. He's never done it before. My bias is against piece of **** electronics made by knock-off brand companies and sold by retailers who don't know **** about electronics (and don't care).

"Ludicrous gaming rig"? No. "Reliable machine that he won't have to worry about"? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
edit: it's further entertaining that you linked him to a lower end machine, though i still wouldn't disagree with it. i hate dell, but it's a fairly solid tower.
In what universe is that Dell machine worse than the Wal-Mart machine?

You have no ******* idea what you're talking about, here. I'd really just be lol'ing at you except now I feel the responsibility to look out for WMD's best interests.

Last edited by nepg : 07-02-2011 at 04:34 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm sorry, i think i covered *exactly* that in my post. i guess i never realized that the AMD Radeon HD6450 Graphics card in the machine walmart is RESELLING is any different than the one you advised him to add to a dell machine.
It's probably not even close to the same card...

Just to show you...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...i+6450&x=0&y=0

I've pulled about 50 nVidia 9800 GT's out of machines because the fans melted and replaced them with 9800 GT's from PNY that are amazingly reliable (I always get EVGA or PNY these days).

Quote:
but i guess, since i've never seen a computer, i mean built/rebuilt mine cumulatively 100+ times over roughly 20 years, and you're in them 'all day', there's probably a clear difference.
There most certainly is. I've rebuilt my machine far less times in that time period because I do it better.

Quote:
i mean, walmart basically builds all of their ibuypowers, right? they don't resell them from, i dunno, http://www.ibuypower.com/.
I have just as much a problem with "iBuyPower" as I do with Wal-Mart in this case. It's a Wal-Mart brand, essentially...which are known to make cheap **** that breaks.

And for an example of why I have such a huge issue with Wal-Mart. Buy a Linksys router...it fails constantly. Return it to Wal-Mart get the same model...same thing happens. Get my money back. Go to Best Buy, get the same model again and it works perfectly. Why? Because Wal-Mart doesn't handle their electronics merch with proper care. This is just one example of many I have encountered (I have not been dumb enough to be fooled more than twice - the router being one).

Quote:
yes, that amd. they know nothing about making computers. and the radeon line they manufacture? it's basically 49th tier hardware. you could probably like, solder better parts, or something.
I was referring to iBuyPower...which was pretty obvious. I didn't specify (because I didn't need to), so you decided to try to twist it. No surprise there.

And AMD and ATI are not on the same level as nVidia. ATI is really solid, but I've had issues where **** just doesn't work right because people program for nVidia chipsets and don't always make sure it works for ATI products. I don't have much of an issue with AMD, they just aren't even close to as good as Intel processors.

Quote:
yeah, you know, unless you're part of the large group of people who've ever had to deal with dell support. totally reliable.
I deal with them all the time. They're not the best, but have you ever dealt with that other company? Do they even have a warranty?

Quote:
you can start at the processor, and go from there. the *only* thing it has is more memory, and 4-6 gb is irrelevant for the vast majority of casual users.
The i3 2100 is a Sandy Bridge and is a 2nd Tier CPU. The AMD on the Wal-Mart machine is a 3rd Tier. Everything about the Dell is at least the same or better...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

in case someone didn't know, Steam (steampowered.com) is having their summer sale where you can get some massive savings. I've probably already saved $200 and the sales end on the 10th with a new set of games every day. (refreshes at 1 PM EST)
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the love of all that is decent and holy, please don't by pre-fab computers. I could write a book on all of the absolute **** that they do to drive down prices and lock you into what you bought (some of which is illegal and some of which should be). I'm not even talking about the business side of it. I mean the product you buy is second rate. (the one exception is laptops, where you are forced to do so)

If you are unsure about what you need, I can make a list (as well as other posters here probably). Just PM me or post. Granted, I will pull my parts list from an US&Canada store (Newegg). I can't help much outside of that region

If you aren't buying a computer for a facebook user (where they won't care about any of the benefits of having customized hardware) and you know how to follow basic instructions (and use a screw driver), then building a computer is 100000000000000000000000x times better.

They have higher quality parts. You choose how much 'future-proof'ness you want (within certain limitations...).

Pre-builts use trash. Motherboards and Power Supplies are the #1 and #2 (in reverse order) thing they skimp on. A bad power supply can fry a computer and can limit your upgrade path severely. If your power supply can't supply enough power, you can't upgrade a graphics card (for example). Motherboards are also always the cheapest ones they can get. Severely limiting as well. RAM is almost always "value ram".

Every time a smart person buys a pre-fab computer, God kills a kitten. You don't want kittens to die do you?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 AM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Curious anyone play Dota here?
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:58 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I used to play Dota, but I'm talking years ago. Always had a soft spot for that stealth assassin.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you guys, who both clearly know a thing or two about computers, really arguing over whether a Dell or a Walmart computer is the less crap option?

I thought better of both of you, building a computer takes the same technical skill as playing with Lego or Mechano and they let 3 year olds play with that crap.

The instructions walk you through it and the parts fit in only the one slot, if as a kid you could put the square peg in the square hole and the round peg in the round hole, and you can click next to install an OS, then you can build a computer and get a vastly superior product list, far greater longevity and a better made computer for less, especially if you are in the USA where you can get everything online, on sale...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Are you guys, who both clearly know a thing or two about computers, really arguing over whether a Dell or a Walmart computer is the less crap option?

I thought better of both of you, building a computer takes the same technical skill as playing with Lego or Mechano and they let 3 year olds play with that crap.

The instructions walk you through it and the parts fit in only the one slot, if as a kid you could put the square peg in the square hole and the round peg in the round hole, and you can click next to install an OS, then you can build a computer and get a vastly superior product list, far greater longevity and a better made computer for less, especially if you are in the USA where you can get everything online, on sale...
For some reason, yes...we are. I don't know why it's even a debate.

Of course building it yourself is better - always. But it's really just not the best option for a lot of people.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Buying a shelf model and upgrading is a way to go... Just make sure you get a newer CPU socket so that you can upgrade if you want to down the road.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Buying a shelf model and upgrading is a way to go... Just make sure you get a newer CPU socket so that you can upgrade if you want to down the road.
I don't want to write a book on this here and distract from what the topic is actually talking about, but you are entirely wrong about what you just said.

If you want, I can give you 10 reasons why it's hard if not impossible to upgrade a pre-built machine (or any machine) these days.

If you are buying pre-built, expect to use basically what you've bought for the next 5 years (or longer if you use it more).
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

There are certain things you can upgrade, but you're stuck with the mobo and cpu because those tend to be proprietary (as in the mobo is fitted to the case and you can't stick an aftermarket in there) and they won't give you any information on what the mobo can handle.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone play dota?

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are trying to help WMD here. I think we are getting away from helping him and instead just fighting with each other now.

If you want to buy a premade comp check out neweggs section of premade computers. You can find some really good deals there.

If you are up to building your own do a little research and build one...it will be an experience that isnt too difficult.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best PC I've ever owned was one put together for me by a local shop. It's great to build a PC if you know how to do it right and have the patience for all the potential problems. I wasn't thrilled with the two PCs I had friends help me build, so I gave it up. I'd rather pay extra and get a good PC without the headaches. If you have a local shop that will build it, I recommend checking them out and asking for a quote. If they offer an acceptable price and a warranty, I recommend considering that option. When things go wrong, you can always just throw your PC in your car and take it to them. They'll want your business, so it's not like they'll just blow you off if they screwed something up.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I don't want to write a book on this here and distract from what the topic is actually talking about, but you are entirely wrong about what you just said.

If you want, I can give you 10 reasons why it's hard if not impossible to upgrade a pre-built machine (or any machine) these days.

If you are buying pre-built, expect to use basically what you've bought for the next 5 years (or longer if you use it more).
I would debate you here too... Seeing as ive done it.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
but then my friend calls me to ask which plug to put the USB stick into (joke joke joke).
He is also the friend who tried to swallow his Lego pieces... and really, maybe some Darwinism style electrocutions would harm the human race if everyone were encouraged to build for themselves :)

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those following the game, Star Wars: The Old Republic opened up pre-order information today.

If you want to pre-order the Collectors Edition I'd suggest NOT doing it at Gamestop as something in their system is funky. When you pre-order you get a headstart access code that allows you to play the game early, but they aren't giving them out for CE because of a problem with their system.

I pre-ordered it on Amazon and got my code and verifications instantly.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
For those following the game, Star Wars: The Old Republic opened up pre-order information today.

If you want to pre-order the Collectors Edition I'd suggest NOT doing it at Gamestop as something in their system is funky. When you pre-order you get a headstart access code that allows you to play the game early, but they aren't giving them out for CE because of a problem with their system.

I pre-ordered it on Amazon and got my code and verifications instantly.
I went to GameStop got the CE and I got the code... They just had to enter in a specific SKU.

Cant freeaaking wait!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

YEAH, TOR! I pre-ordered my Deluxe Edition via Origin. Damn, I seriously cannot wait for it to be released.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

We should just have a guild with NFLDCers
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I went to GameStop got the CE and I got the code... They just had to enter in a specific SKU.

Cant freeaaking wait!
Cain, make SURE that you have a COLLECTORS EDITION key. I read that they're giving people STANDARD keys instead. The Standard key is rumored to only give a THREE day headstart while the CE key is giving a SIX day headstart.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be ordering TOR at some point soon.

Also been playing Rift pretty steadily lately, I like it.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Cain, make SURE that you have a COLLECTORS EDITION key. I read that they're giving people STANDARD keys instead. The Standard key is rumored to only give a THREE day headstart while the CE key is giving a SIX day headstart.
Thanks for pointing that out... Its all good I just registered it and its all good it was the collectors edition.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out... Its all good I just registered it and its all good it was the collectors edition.
Kickass. :)