Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2008 Utah was pretty ****** beastly. not big named like these other teams but they had some ballers.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2008 Utah was pretty ****** beastly. not big named like these other teams but they had some ballers.
Good call, they were a very good defense and have quite a few current NFL players. Kruger was a monster off the edge, Sylvester and absolute star linebacker, really solid defensive backs, Smith was a stud and McCain was very good as well. But yes lack that wow factor, and a few pieces I am not sure who were the starters. But that was a very solid group. Could rival that TCU group but the linebackers on TCU wins out, from top to bottom. That Utah defense in 08 had some standout guys like Kruger and Sylvester carry each position core but overall depth was lacking if I remember right.

2008 Utah
DE P. Kruger
DT
DT
DE Misi
OLB Sylvester
ILB
OLB
CB B. McCain, B. Burton
CB S. Smith. J. Dale
SS
FS B. Johnson

Actually just put that 07 TCU defense #47 on the list, moved Virgina down a little because of lack of depth, great linebackers, like amazing linebackers but did not have the depth other units had. And again Utah could make it, originally I was going to add them but again lack of top down depth limits that in my opinion, huge Sean Smith fan, he was fun to watch, so was Sylvester.

Last edited by Ozzy : 07-05-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another potential addition could be Clemson. Gaines was a monster as a senior, and Gaddis was a potential stud at corner, and they had some good linebacker play as well with Bille.

2006 Clemson Tigers
DE G. Adams
DT D. Clark
DT D. Scott
DE R. Sapp, P. Merling
OLB T. Bille
ILB J. Miller
OLB A. Clay
CB CJ. Gaddis
CB C. Clemons
SS K. Conner
FS M. Hamlin

Another fine one possible is Boston College from 07, studs in the middle with Brace and Raji, as good as it gets. Very deep and very good linebackers as well, Dunbar and McLaughlin were big time playmakers. And at defensive back Silva was an animal out their and Tribble could handle his own on the corner.

2007 Boston College
DE N. Larkin
DT Raji
DT Brace
DE Albright
OLB Dunbar, B. Toal, R. Francois
ILB McLaughlin
OLB T. Pruitt, Akins
CB D. Tribble
CB P. Anderson
SS J. Silva
FS M. Bowman

Clearly a great year from defense, the 06 Jackets had a fine deep, very deep defensive line that could pressure the quarterback easily. Fast linebackers with Hall and Wheeler and decent defensive backs with Kenny Scott at corner and solid safeties.

2006 Georgia Tech
DE M. Johnson
DT J. Anoai, D. Robertson
DT D. Richard, V. Walker
DE A. Oliver
OLB K. Hall
ILB P. Wheeler
OLB G. Guyton
CB K. Scott, A. Roberson
CB Word-Daniels
SS J. Lewis
FS D. Jones

A Miami defense that does not get remembered, very deep and talented group, not a lot of stars but tons of depth. Very solid defensive line, great linebackers with Beason and others. Then defensive back had star safeties as well. They are easily top 50 somewhere on that list.

2006 Miami Hurricanes
DE B. Atkins, B. Pata
DT A. Dixon
DT K. Brown
DE C. Campbell. V. Franklin
OLB J. Beason, C. McCarthy
ILB G. Cook
OLB T. Gooden, R. Davis
CB B. Johnson
CB G. Sharpe, R. Phillips
SS B. Meriweather, A. Reddick
FS K. Phillips, W. Cooper

Last edited by Ozzy : 07-05-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Henderson and Fat Al as your tandem tackles. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
John Henderson and Fat Al as your tandem tackles. Ugh.
Actually the year I listed on here Darwin Walker was the star opposite Henderson on that team, Haynesworth was the backup at the time I believe.

Still very impressive middle men in college, rarely does one school get such great defensive tackles at the same time. Best I can recall and they are defenses on this list is Texas with Hampton and Rogers, Georgia with Stroud and Seymour and Tennessee with Henderson and Haynesworth, also could add Boston College with Raji and Brace potentially. If you are talking just big boys Marcus Spears and Marquise Hill on LSU was pretty crazy as well.

Personally in terms of elite defensive tackles at the college level, Stroud and Seymour always impressed me the most, and it had a lot to do with Seymour.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

A few more additions that I made, many of these schools are already on the list. And changed a few other things, moved up Nebraska 1998 and moved down some other units.

Very impressive defense, Sheppard was a flat out star at corner, Alexander and one hell of a senior season as well. Davis was in the middle and played great, Nattiel gave speed at outside linebacker. Manuel and Johnson were outstanding safeties as well. The defense line was strong in the middle with Warren and had Alex Brown on the outside defensive end, he easily had the best game I have ever seen from a defensive end when he played Tennessee at the Swamp. I have them just crack the top 25, I think they were that good.

2000 Florida Gators
DE A. Brown, B. McCray
DT G. Warren
DT D. Chambers, B. Gurley
DE LaFavor, T Bullard
OLB M. Nattiel, T. Carroll
ILB A. Davis
OLB B. Hardmon
CB L. Sheppard
CB B. Alexander, R. Cromartie
SS M. Manuel, L. Norwood
FS T. Johnson, D. Dixon

Forgot about them, LSU defense, not great but the key is James and Faulk, two flat out great linebackers in college. Both elite players even as young freshman, had big time speed. At defensive back LeBlanc was a big hitter, Roman a very solid corner and Clark was another solid safety that provided good depth. Not a great defensive line but was strong and provided opportunities for those linebackers to shine. I have them ranked at 58th on this list.

1999 LSU
DE J. Green
DT K. Allen
DT J. Mitchell
DE K. Mitchell
OLB B. James
ILB T. Faulk
OLB C. Smith
CB M. Roman
CB F. Booker, D. Hookfin
SS C. LeBlanc
FS R. Clark, D. James

Someone brought this up awhile back, and looking at it they are a very good defense. Such a talented defensive line that did so much that year for Iowa. Their best year as a group arguably. The linebackers were good, Edds and Angerer were very speedy. The defensive backs sound as always, fine corners in Fletcher and Spievey, plus solid young safeties. I have this group ranked 37th.

2008 Iowa
DE A. Clayborn
DT M. King, Klug
DT M. Kroul
DE C. Ballard, B. Binns
OLB AJ. Edds
ILB P. Angerer, J. Coleman
OLB J. Hunter
CB B. Fletcher
CB A. Spievey
SS T. Sash
FS B. Greenwood

Cannot forget them, the defense that could have been in 2010. Still great in 09, very fine players, amazingly strong and deep defensive line with Austin and Thomas leading the way. Quinn had a great year also for them, the linebackers were always stars and always going to them stars. The defensive backs were talented as well, Burney was a stud and I really liked Melvin Williams along with D. Williams. I have them ranked 41st but could have been a lot higher if 2010 would have turned out different.

2009 UNC
DE R. Quinn, Q. Coples
DT M. Austin
DT C. Thomas, T. Powell
DE EJ. Wilson, M. McAdoo
OLB B. Carter
ILB Q. Sturdivant
OLB Z. Brown
CB K. Burney
CB C. Brown
SS M. Williams, M. Merletti
FS D. Williams, D. Searcy

Loved their safeties, Morley and Berry were flat out studs, great players that completely made up for their lack at the corner spot. Solid linebackers as well, leading the way was McCoy. On they defensive line they were good with Ayers and Dan Williams also, not as strong as other years but top to bottom a solid and very good defense. I have them ranked 53rd on this list.

2008 Tennessee
DE R. Ayers
DT D. Williams
DT D. Bolden
DE W. Brown, B. Martin
OLB R. McCoy
ILB Myers-White
OLB L. Thompson
CB D. Willingham
CB M. Johnson
SS E. Berry
FS D. Morley, A. Gaines

Finally got what I think is the roster for them, loved their linebackers with Bell, Polk and Sprotte much less Piece as well. Amazing corner in McAllister and Hunter was ok on the other side for Zona. Tafoya was a beast off the edge as well. Not great depth on the defensive line but overall a great defense and should be on this list. I have them 56th.

1998 Arizona
DE Tafoya, K. Fraser
DT D. Greer
DT I. Haroon
DE M. Robertson
OLB D. Polk
ILB M. Bell
OLB Sprotte A. Pierce
CB McAllister
CB K. Hunter
SS G. Payne
FS R. Jones

And always due to change but as or right now here is how things stand in terms of what schools have the most defensive units on this list over the past 13 plus season of college football. The school is indicated, starting with the rank of the unit and then the year.

*Schools with three units on the list:
Ohio State
4- 2002
6- 1998
13- 2008

Florida
11- 2006
15- 1997
25- 2000

Alabama
9- 2009
28- 2005
33- 1999

*Schools with two units the list:
Miami
1- 2001
43- 2006

USC
2- 2007
14- 2002

Florida State
7- 1997
17- 2004

Nebraska
12- 1997
19- 2009

Michigan
5- 1997
22- 2006

Penn State
8- 1999
23- 2005

Virginia Tech
18- 1999
21- 2005

LSU
3- 2004
58- 1999

Oklahoma
20- 2002
27- 2007

Tennessee
10- 1999
53- 2008

Iowa
26- 2003
37- 2008

Texas
29- 2009
30- 2000

Kansas State
24- 1998
40- 2001

UNC
41- 2009
48- 2001

*Schools with one unit on the list:
Auburn
16- 2003

Michigan State
31- 1999

Illinois
32- 2007

Texas A&M
34- 1998

Georgia
35- 1998

Miss State
36- 2000

Wake Forest
38- 2006

South Florida
39- 2007

UCLA
42- 2001

NC State
44- 2005

Notre Dame
45- 2003

Louisville
46- 2004

Purdue
47- 2003

Washington State
50- 2002

Wisconsin
51- 2000

TCU
49- 2007

Cal
52- 2006

Georgia Tech
54- 2006

Virginia
55- 2005

Arizona
56- 1998

Utah
57- 2008

Kansas
59- 2005

Oregon State
60- 2006

Oregon
61- 2007

Last edited by Ozzy : 07-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd argue that 2009 Gator Defense was better then 2006. Also would add 2008 into the discussion as well.

2009 Florida:

gave up less total points (174) than '06 (189) and '08(181).
gave up less total yards per game (252.6) than '06 (255.4) and '08 (285.3)
gave up less 1st downs (208) than '06 (216) and '08 (234)
gave up only 16 TDs by opposing offenses in 14 games
had 20 INTs compared to '06 (21) and '08 (26)
had 6 (not including Janoris Jenkins) draft picks compared to '06 with 8 picks

LE Carlos Dunlap (2010 2d Rd)
DT Omar Hunter (current RS Junior)
DT Terron Sanders (2011 undrafted rookie signed with Baltimore)
RE Jermaine Cunningham (2010 2nd Rd)
LOLB A.J. Jones (2011 undrafted rookie signed with Denver)
MLB Brandon Spikes (2010 2nd Rd)
ROLB Ryan Stamper (2010 undrafted rookie signed with Detroit)
LCB Joe Haden (2010 1st Rd)
RCB Janoris Jenkins (current Senior @ North Alabama)
SS Ahmad Black (2011 4th Rd)
FS Major Wright (2010 3rd Rd)

2008 Florida:

LE Justin Trattou
DT Lawrence Marsh
DT Terron Sanders
RE Jermaine Cunnigham
LOLB A.J. Jones
MLB Brandon Spikes
ROLB Ryan Stamper
LCB Joe Haden
RCB Janoris Jenkins
SS Ahmad Black
FS Major Wright

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Last edited by bullg8rdaddy : 08-03-2011 at 02:36 AM.
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
bullg8rdaddy I'd argue that 2009 Gator Defense was better then 2006. Also would add 2008 into the discussion as well.

There is no way the 2009 Florida defense would be over the 2006 Florida defense. That defensive line was so far better than the one in 09, Harvey was a monster off the edge, those tackles were flat out sick and crazy deep, Marcus Thomas was an animal, and McDonald was good from his freshman year on. Much less Moss at the other edge rushing the passer.

Had much better linebackers as well, Siler was a great inside guy, Spikes was still on that team and Everett was big time on the outside. Yes they had better defensive backs possibly, Haden is better than those two corners, but Ryan Smith did had a star year and intercepted a lot of balls and made a lot of plays. And Black is a great safety, but Reggie Nelson on Florida was absolutely elite, he was all over the field and I would rank him over Black or Wright.

Thus the 06 defense in my book, the defensive line was not even close, 06 wins that, the linebackers 06 wins that again pretty easy. Defensive backs is close but slight edge to 09, but not by much. Thus that is why I put the 06 defense on there.

The statistics you speak off, ok sure but the difference in those stats are so small, and cannot easily compare statistics over in my opinion because a lot has to do with what kind of competition. All I know is in terms of players in college, I would take that front 7 in 06 over the front 7 in 09 any day of the week by far.

Last edited by Ozzy : 08-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the national championships LSU D. A boat load of talent on that team altogether though

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
There is no way the 2009 Florida defense would be over the 2006 Florida defense. That defensive line was so far better than the one in 09, Harvey was a monster off the edge, those tackles were flat out sick and crazy deep, Marcus Thomas was an animal, and McDonald was good from his freshman year on. Much less Moss at the other edge rushing the passer.

Had much better linebackers as well, Siler was a great inside guy, Spikes was still on that team and Everett was big time on the outside. Yes they had better defensive backs possibly, Haden is better than those two corners, but Ryan Smith did had a star year and intercepted a lot of balls and made a lot of plays. And Black is a great safety, but Reggie Nelson on Florida was absolutely elite, he was all over the field and I would rank him over Black or Wright.

Thus the 06 defense in my book, the defensive line was not even close, 06 wins that, the linebackers 06 wins that again pretty easy. Defensive backs is close but slight edge to 09, but not by much. Thus that is why I put the 06 defense on there.

The statistics you speak off, ok sure but the difference in those stats are so small, and cannot easily compare statistics over in my opinion because a lot has to do with what kind of competition. All I know is in terms of players in college, I would take that front 7 in 06 over the front 7 in 09 any day of the week by far.
Strongly disagree.

As a defensive unit, 2009 was better. Individual talent wise 2006 was better.

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:02 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Might as well put this year's Alabama defense at the very top of the list. This defense is just about on par with Bama's '92 defense that was the best defense college football had seen in the past 30+ years.

Let's look at this 2011 Bama defense:

They rank 1st in scoring defense (7.0 PPG) *6.8 PPG in regulation. Gave up 3 points to LSU in overtime due to LSU getting the ball at Bama's 25 yardline*

1st in rushing defense (74.92 YPG)
2nd in YPC average (2.5 YPC)
1st in rushing TD's allowed (3 total)

1st in passing defense (116.3 YPG)
1st in QB rating against (83.94)
T-1st in passing TD's allowed (6 total)
1st in yards/attempt (4.4 YP/A)
1st in completion percentage against (48.3%)

1st in total defense (191.3 YPG)
1st in yards/play (3.39 YPP)
1st in 1st downs allowed/game (10.5 / game)
1st in total 1st downs allowed (126 total)

1st in opponents 3rd down conversion rate (25%)
1st in Red Zone scoring (58.82%)
1st in Red Zone TD % (35.29)

The stats speak for themselves. However, if you watch this defense play, it's the physicality and sheer dominance that opposing teams cannot match. They break the will of the opposition, much like Alabama's '92 defense.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

What JHL6719 said, just changed the list based off last season and included the defensive units for Alabama and LSU in 2011.

There is some overlap from the 2009 Alabama defensive unit and the 2011 unit, but since the 2011 unit was so historic, I had to put them on there.

Did not put them #1 though, even though statistically they are better, I still feel the safety power of that 1997 Cane team gives them the edge, much less the fact they have a potential NFL Hall of Fame NT in Wilfork ontop of that.

Last edited by Ozzy : 09-04-2012 at 02:48 PM.