Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Have you ever worked a retail job?

During my tenure in college I've worked a retail job for a few years. I have to say, this is probably the worst kind of job you can have. Well, I'm sure there are worse things you can get paid for, but it's pretty much at the bottom of the barrel. Personally, I can't wait to get out of this hell-hole. The main negatives:

- Terrible pay. Unless you are in a manager position you're not going to be making that much above minimum wage.

- Say goodbye to having cultural holidays off. Labor Day, 4th of July, President's Day? No, you're working.

- Weekends? Nope.

- Awful scheduling. Especially if you work a lot of hours at most of these jobs. It's not the normal 9am - 5pm Monday through Friday. Be prepared to have your entire week ****** with.

- Oh and the best part about it. Rude ass customers. And I work at a pretty decent place I have to say as far as retail is concerned. Regardless there are going to be people out there that believe they have this superiority complex because you are working in retail and they are not. People love to leave trash. People love to try and make "deals" with the employees. People don't read policies that are easily identifiable, and when they are politely pointed out to the said polices, they get ticked. Oh and screaming kids, and bringing in pets (even though the sign says no pets) don't help matters either.

No I'll say that I have been on the other side and gone into stores with terrible service and just employees themselves that are actually rude. But working in the retail world has made me a better shopper and a much more patient individual. Really, you'll be amazed at some folks that will take their frustration out on you personally due to things that are beyond your control. Some people may like retail and want to move up the ladder and community with other and deal with all of that. I'm just saying it's not for me. The main two reasons are probably the pay (people don't get paid enough to put up with this **** really) and babysitting morons.

So I ask, have you ever worked one of these said jobs?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everything about above post is true.

Terrible schedule (I worked 3rd shift and it was different days each week, rarely more than 1 day off in a row)

Terrible pay

No benefits.

Oh yeah, and good luck getting full-time hours even if you're a "full-time" employee.

However. Having a job is a blessing not shared by all.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least you have a job.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing about retail I'd say is a plus to me is that it's motivation to get the hell out. I see people in their 40's working at my position as a full-time employee. Some might have families. And that's fine if that is what they want to do. But that job doesn't pay the bills. Times are tough though. I know people lose their other jobs, but at the same time there are folks who just give me the vibe that they've been bumming it for a while and they're just going to work retail for what seems like forever because they don't want to strive for something higher and they've accepted their fate which is to be stuck in that said hell-hole until they die, which will probably be on the salesfloor itself.

Oh yeah and benefits, LOL.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
At least you have a job.
LOL yeah, right.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had one kid **** and piss on one of the chairs in the dressing room and had to clean it up...... never understand why we just didn't buy a new chair. BTW having a job in retail and fast food sucks, I suggest neither of them because people are assholes. YAY staying in college forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

This gets me in the mood to see "Waiting..." with Ryan Reynolds. I heard being a waiter might be worse. At least in retail I can hide amongst the clothes if I really wanted.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
I had one kid **** and piss on one of the chairs in the dressing room and had to clean it up...... never understand why we just didn't buy a new chair. BTW having a job in retail and fast food sucks, I suggest neither of them because people are assholes. YAY staying in college forever!
Oh my goodness that is terrible. Just terrible.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Oh my goodness that is terrible. Just terrible.
Yeah, I worked in the Pets section of a Walmart and I had a gentleman (pun) who liked to piss all over the fish tanks.

True.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only real paying job I've ever had was for a country club.

I was a server/bartender, worked parties and events, and last summer I worked in the fast-food type area for the pool.
I got good pay but I had to put up with ****** management and some real dick members. Don't even get me started on how spoiled and disrespectful most of the kids were... ugh.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess it's the kind of worker you are too.

I know many people who moved up QUICK via retail. One girl I know, no college education and was already district manager at age 20.

If you work hard and have a great attitude there's no doubt you get promoted quickly in retail.

In contrast if you show your pessimism (which I'm sure you do), you'll be stuck in the same position for years.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
This gets me in the mood to see "Waiting..." with Ryan Reynolds. I heard being a waiter might be worse. At least in retail I can hide amongst the clothes if I really wanted.
I worked as a fry cook through college, and I have to say thats its scary how accurate that movie is in the food service industry lol. We never went as far as doing nasty stuff to the food, but waiters and servers, yeah that movie pretty much nails it.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I delivered pizza all through college. Christ was that an interesting experience.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, that's why I stopped working retail after my first year of college. People love yelling at you way too much in retail. If something breaks and needs to be returned it's entirely your fault (as opposed the manufacturer, or just going to customer service who actually handles those things). Plus just generally bitchiness shoppers seem to have toward retail workers.

I'm much happier working as a camp counselour over the summer at a commuting summer camp for the Parks and Rec department of my home town. You get your weekends off, work very few hours, and basically get to play sports all day. Epic win. I feel your pain though, Ness.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Revis Island
Rookie

Revis Island hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Revis Island hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The thing is alot of the **** you listed applies to me too though, it's not necessarily a retail thing. I work a crappy warehouse job.

Bad pay? Check.
Weekends? Never get them off.
Awful scheduling? My 9-5 quickly turns to 9-7 very easily.

I do avoid rude ass customers, although my bitchy managers do more than enough to make up for it.

Last edited by Revis Island : 07-17-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Revis Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:54 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I delivered pizza all through college. Christ was that an interesting experience.
I've had a couple delivery jobs as well and as long as you get decent tips it's awesome.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I work a retail job right now. I work at Publix. It blows.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bad Pay? It was...but now I'm at part-time top wage, so I don't complain as much about that. Plus, I get the occasional tip, which is always nice.

Hours? Well, I only work twice a week but its Friday and Saturday, so that blows. But working til 11 on a Friday Night blows.

Customers? Wow....scum of the earth, I don't put up with anything anymore. Treat me with respect, better service...don't, well, don't expect me to go out of my way for you.

The best part about it is, most of my fellow workers are complete idiots, so management wouldn't dare do anything to piss me off, because I do a lot for them.

God bless those morons.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I've had a couple delivery jobs as well and as long as you get decent tips it's awesome.
There are some sure-fire way to get tips as a delivery person. Some on the up-and-up, some not so much.

Craziest thing that ever happened as a delivery driver -

I had been promoted to shift supervisor (I had the ability to open the cash register and make change - $1.25 extra an hour - no huge deal), anyhow...

A driver comes back with the pizza and says the crazy guy who ordered it refused it. When I asked why, he said because he didn't order from us (Pizza-Hut), he ordered from Dominoes. He cussed the driver out and told him to leave. I said give me the pizza and left to deliver it. As I pulled up at the house, I took off my hat and Pizza Hut shirt. I handed him the pizza and he asked why it was in a Pizza-Hut box. I told him we ran out and had to borrow some. He asked " Are you serious?" I told him it happens all the time and we borrow from each other on a regular basis. He handed me the payment and that was the end of it.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
I guess it's the kind of worker you are too.

I know many people who moved up QUICK via retail. One girl I know, no college education and was already district manager at age 20.

If you work hard and have a great attitude there's no doubt you get promoted quickly in retail.

In contrast if you show your pessimism (which I'm sure you do), you'll be stuck in the same position for years.
Well yeah. I'm just there for the little money that there is. As soon as I'm done with school and get a job using the training I went to school for I'm out. There is nothing about that job that I like. It's hard for me to work hard doing something that I absolutely hate. Not to mention I have no desire to move up the ladder. I feel like I'd be just moving towards permanency there.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Your comment reminds me of someone who got murdered delivering a pizza to a fake house. I saw it on Unsolved Mysteries. It was an elaborate setup and I think the guy only had $100 on him. Sad. What a ****** way to go out.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-18-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fast Food..

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

About a week ago I remember being in our break room and hearing our store manager having a casual conversation with another clerk during our lunch hour and I just remember him casually saying the line

"Well just remember the customer is always right."

And the way he said it...it was as if he seriously believed it. I just ate my sandwich with the most stone cold expression on my face. You gotta be ******* kidding me. The customer is always right? That literally doesn't make sense. Especially since the customers don't work at the facility they shop at. My manger isn't the worst I've had, but I just hate how he'll get on his knees and open his mouth for any customer no matter what the scenario is.

"Oh yeah it's okay if they wear the shoes out of the box before paying for them. Other stores do that. By the way don't mind if we continually have theft issues that I'll undoubtedly lecture about at every store meeting."

Quote:
Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I loved retail.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I worked at Burger King for about 3 years in High school. If i would have stayed with it I would have been a manager by now. But I'm good with sitting on my butt and working tech support.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote