Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even without re-signing our own guys we're like $18 million over that $120 million cap. lol.

Cap hell sucks.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-15-2011 at 03:37 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Even without re-signing our own guys we're like $18 million over that $120 million cap. lol.

Cap hell sucks.
So if you consider guys like Doug Free and Stephen Bowen locks, we'll essentially have crap at both safety spots for another year? Wooo hooo pick #17 here we come. Should be fun to hear Tony get blamed for everything again when we let everyone score 30 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So if we're 18 Mil over the cap right now, how the hell do we get under?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
So if we're 18 Mil over the cap right now, how the hell do we get under?
Say hello to Barber/Newman/Roy/Davis/Columbo

Also Romo and Miles and someone else has clauses to turn their bonus's into cap over the life of their contract I believe. That should be close to 10m off the books for 2011 right away. Money isn't going to be a big issue for us. We knew this was coming I expect we'll have a plan in place when the number is set.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I highly doubt Newman and Roy get cut, as much as I want them 2. The chances are less then 5%.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I agree with both there.

If we cut Roy it's an enormous cap hit. That's an insane amount of dead money. Newman saves us money, but I really doubt he's going anywhere.

To get under...Barber and Colombo are certainly gone. That's like $9 million off right there. Leonard Davis only saves us just under $2 million, so they have a decision to make there. And then as Thule said, we'll have to restructure the hell out of our star player's big contracts. That said, re-signing Free, which is a given, may get pricy. Kosier, Bowen, and Hatcher would probably be re-signed as well.

It's going to take a lot of creativity to get things done. It's all up in the air right now, as to how much money we'll really have to spend. Just dont expect us to actually have the money to make a realistic play for anyone like Aso. In comparison, the Eagles are sitting at a total team salary of about $95 millon right now. They can get whatever the hell they want in free agency. And the Skins are going to rape FA anyway with all their cash.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-16-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont buy it...but so many stories about us having trouble to re-sign Free have been cropping up today. Some even calling it unlikely. The $18 million in the red, is certainly clouding things up, but I'd be shocked if we didnt clear enough cash to keep Free around. He's going to be expensive, but it should get done.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys don't get help for that secondary, to be quite frank, I think your defense will be middle of the pack. I'm not scared of the Cowboys defense as it stands right now.

And I don't think Rob Ryan alone will make any difference. For what it's worth, Wade's resume as a defensive guru far outweigh's Robs, it's not like Rob is replacing a terrible DC, if anything, Wade was a better DC than Rob will be.

I think Dallas's front 7 is solid. Not dominant, but solid. But that secondary is very suspect right now. And that doesn't bode well with the WR cores of the NFC East.

You guys might have to outscore everybody in the division to win the East. (I know the innate flaw in that statement, but you get what I'm saying)

With that offense though, it's very possible.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

We all know we're in desperate need of secondary help...we just dont know what we'll really have to spend yet. We also need to re-sign Bowen and/or Hatcher, so we can actually man a front 7. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jonathan Joseph may be a possibility. But he'll still probably require a big pay day.

I still don't get the Tyron Smith pick. I've stated in the past that I'm not a big fan of his, but even if he does pan out, it doesn't make sense unless you don't resign Free.

Bc paying Free big bucks then throwing him at RT doesn't make much sense either.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I still don't get the Tyron Smith pick. I've stated in the past that I'm not a big fan of his, but even if he does pan out, it doesn't make sense unless you don't resign Free.

Bc paying Free big bucks then throwing him at RT doesn't make much sense either.

Who did you want our RT to be?

Quote:
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

meh. I wanted Smith real bad in this draft. Screw offensive line mediocrity, I want the best possible players along that line, regardless of price. I see no problem in spending big bucks or high draft picks on a RT these days. Pass Rushers a plenty in the NFC East, and outside pass rushers continue to get more and more freakish as the years pass. I was 100% behind the idea of teaming Free up with Smith for the long term.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
meh. I wanted Smith real bad in this draft. Screw offensive line mediocrity, I want the best possible players along that line, regardless of price. I see no problem in spending big bucks or high draft picks on a RT these days. Pass Rushers a plenty in the NFC East, and outside pass rushers continue to get more and more freakish as the years pass. I was 100% behind the idea of teaming Free up with Smith for the long term.

Exactly. It made so much sense for so long that you didn't think Jerry would even do it. It was probably our biggest need, when you look at the options we had, and with what we wanted to do on offense it wasn't going to happen without two athletic bookend tackles.

Nobody else there even made sense, we still have work to do on the interior but it feels good to know the outside is done and we can get back to more 5 and 7 step drops.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

A top 10 pick on a RT though? Even if you move him to LT, you move Free to RT and pay him big bucks, so it's still a large investment for a RT.

You could've moved back in the draft, got Gabe Carimi to play RT, pay Free, and that would be just as good and much cheaper.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

You could do that...but you have to realize that Tyron Smith has the largest ceiling of any of the OTs in this draft by far. He's a freaky talent. Our o-line has been a hindrance, we really needed to target the best talent available, and we did. It really wouldnt surprise me to see RTs getting drafted earlier and paid more with regularity, the way the league is going.

A great deal of us, wanted this pick. Knowing full well that Free would be back as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
A top 10 pick on a RT though? Even if you move him to LT, you move Free to RT and pay him big bucks, so it's still a large investment for a RT.

You could've moved back in the draft, got Gabe Carimi to play RT, pay Free, and that would be just as good and much cheaper.

And we also could have moved back, grabbed an average RT for cheaper money, and have a much worse player then Tyron Smith. Why can't you spend the #9 overall pick on a RT if it's your most glaring need and he is an elite player? I don't get how that scenario, makes less sense then moving down for a much more average Tackle just because he's cheaper.

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to have two elite tackles on bookends, who are both extremely athletic. We pass the ball a ton, Romo has been getting hit, and Tyron was by far the best Tackle in the entire draft.

Protecting your QB doesn't ever not make sense, it's not like were talking about Jake Long going to be a RT at #1 overall, it's the 9th pick for a team who shouldn't have been picking that high anyway.

Do you really think it made sense to take a more average player because it's cheaper between the 9th pick and the 17th pick? Yea we get another mid rounder or 2 to take a gamble on, but at the expense of missing out on a stud.

Honestly I think that's an old myth BBD that has gone out the window now. It's a new day and age, not old school anymore. Pass rushers are on both sides of the line, look at how you guys develop your D-line with pass rushing talent and then tell me we need an average RT for some reason? It's far more important than it used to be.

Everything we want to do revolves around protection on the ends, and with two potentially elite players there it makes the offense move better.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Honestly, I think my displeasure of the pick stems from my dislike of Tyron Smith. I thought he'd be a disappointment, so I'm not his biggest fan.

Whereas I had a man crush on Gabe Carimi, so to me it wasn't that big of a difference in talent in comparing the 2, but again, that's a difference of opinion. I could very well be wrong and Smith could be a stud.

I honestly thought the oline wasn't that bad. Free really shored up the left side which was a big problem in the past.

As an outsider looking in, I felt that the secondary and DE position were your biggest holes.

I agree though, RT is more important today than it was in the past. And now that I think of it, with the rookie wage scale in place, you really didn't spend that much on Smith anyway. So I stand corrected on that.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

We alot of weak links on the line. Leonard Davis is terrible, so is Columbo. I don't know who is worse honestly but both needed replaced and had no one else available. DE wasn't a huge need with Stephen Bowen waiting in the wings, and Igor still signed. Those guys aren't world beaters, but starter quality.

I also didn't see what you didn't like about Tyron. On film he looks alot like Jason Smith did coming out, he moves incredible out in space for a man his size but when he makes contact he's going to punish you. He did it against good competition and he's the ideal guy in that he has the length and strength to handle the power rushers but gifted enough to stick with pass rushers.

His only questions were playing at his size and could he maintain it. I just wanted the best possible player at RT because no other position had the same value. Might as well take advantage of having a pick that high, knowing how many of the past few drafts we traded back for a bunch of average players not even here, I was right on board with the elite, top rated player at a huge position of need.

Only other guy who made some sense was JJ Watt, and if we didn't have Bowen or Hatcher he would have gotten a bit more consideration.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, I think my displeasure of the pick stems from my dislike of Tyron Smith. I thought he'd be a disappointment, so I'm not his biggest fan.

Whereas I had a man crush on Gabe Carimi, so to me it wasn't that big of a difference in talent in comparing the 2, but again, that's a difference of opinion. I could very well be wrong and Smith could be a stud.

I honestly thought the oline wasn't that bad. Free really shored up the left side which was a big problem in the past.

As an outsider looking in, I felt that the secondary and DE position were your biggest holes.

I agree though, RT is more important today than it was in the past. And now that I think of it, with the rookie wage scale in place, you really didn't spend that much on Smith anyway. So I stand corrected on that.
Came across this on the wage scale today.

Quote:
So, Tyron Smith, No. 9 overall pick, take this here check for $12.5 million over the next five years. Yeah, C.J. Spiller did get $25 mill a year ago, but, you know, tough.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ed...CD0ADB48D455FC

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Name the top 3 FA's we should sign and our top 3 we should sign.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've read conflicting reports on what our cap # will be depending on how we can restructure some deals, so I'm not 100% sure of our situation but anyway:

Re-Sign:
1. Doug Free/T (Must be done)
2. Stephen Bowen/DE (My favorite DE out of the 3, he's ready to become a starter and should be relatively cheap)
3. Kyle Kosier/G (As long as it's cap friendly, he's been a steady performer and with changes at 2 spots on the OL I'd like to keep the rest intact)

Sign:
1. Davin Joseph/G (Ideal replacement for Davis on the right side, huge upgrade to the run game)
2. Dawan Landry/SS (Tough, hardnosed player who can bring a little Raven mentality to our secondary)
3. Abram Elam/FS (Not a huge fan of his, but I just have a gut feeling his familiarity with Rob's D will make him an attractive option. If we have the money, I'd rather have Huff.)

Let Sensy walk, I read a report that he's "excited about cashing in"... well don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Davis should be cut, as should Colombo.

Also, if we have money leftover we should bring in another DE because we're lacking some depth there if Spears and Hatcher walk.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 07-20-2011 at 10:09 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:46 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

1. Doug Free
2. Stephen Bowen
3. Kyle Kosier

1. Michael Huff
2. Robert Gallery
3. Abram Elam

And I mean Huff or Elam...I would just place them in that order.

Obviously, we need to target S and G. But the money is a big question mark right now. Huff and Gallery are going to make bank. Elam may be a cheaper option, but someone may over spend for him as well, especially with so many teams having so much available cash. There should be cheaper options out there for us....other realistically available G/S targets, within a certain price range, could include...Chester Pitts, Daryn Colledge, Chris Chester, Reggie Wells, Evan Mathis, Mike Brisiel, Will Montgomery, John Greco, Sean Locklear, Trai Essex, Khalif Barnes, Danieal Manning, Bernard Pollard, Atari Bigby, Charlie Peprah, Chinedum Ndukwe, Melvin Bullitt, Brodney Pool, and Reed Doughty. Among others, of which are even lesser names. haha.

If memory serves, Peprah is a Fort Worth boy. Wouldnt be shocked to see him land in Dallas, if GB lets him go.

It all depends on the money. Even Sensabaugh is expecting to land a huge deal this off-season, as the Finisher said.

edit...I totally did not know that Peprah signed a contract extension. :(

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-21-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Re-signing Jospeh is the Bucs number one priority. He's not going to be available. We more than likely couldnt afford him anyway. But again, he wants a massive contract, the Bucs want him back, and the Bucs have a **** ton of cap room. The most in the league, that is. No chance, my friend.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ours

Kosier
Free
Bowen

FA's

Carl Nicks
Dawan Landry
Michael Huff
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Noticed this earlier, and while I Don't want to jump to conclusions, I think we need to be all over DeAndre McDaniel. Yes I get he was undrafted for a reason, but can anyone pick a team with a worse set of starting safeties signed to the roster? I don't think we should rely on him as a starter or anything, in fact he doesn't need to hinder the FA plans, but he's a no brainer pick-up IMO.

Quote:
Clemson S DeAndre McDaniel is Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki's No. 2-rated undrafted free agent available for after the lockout.
McDaniel should be able to sign next week. A playmaking strong safety, McDaniel racked up 15 picks at Clemson but struggled in coverage. Boise State S Jeron Johnson is Nawrocki's top undrafted rookie. They are followed, in order, by Central Michigan LB Nick Bellore, Rutgers S Joe Lefeged, and Auburn WR Darvin Adams. Mark Herzlich and Dane Sanzenbacher are further down the list.

Anyone know anything about Jeron Johnson? I've just seen Mcdaniels play before, and know he has talent. No reason for us not to go hard after him.

Quote: