Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some dude on ESPN radio said the minimum salary requirement applies to the end of the season, meaning teams will not be forced to reach that mark before the start of the season, if they don't want to. A team can enter the season under the minimum and still reach it at the end by doing things like signing veterans to new contracts.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Updated OP, waiting to hear some more news before I update the expected dates for things to start occurring.

I also heard some rumors about teams tampering with at least one of Carolina's Free Agents allegedly it's atlanta going after johnson. Just a rumor at this point.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I've got a question here. The Vikings would be a likely landing spot for a safety this off-season, and two names I've heard thrown around are Weddle and Bullitt.

I know when we signed Madieu Williams, I was stoked but he turned out to be a dud, which i should have known since Bengal fans were happy he was gone.

So basically, can any knowledgable colts/chargers fans give me the low-down on Weddle or Bullitt? Are they any good or are you happy to see them (maybe) leave?
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
So I've got a question here. The Vikings would be a likely landing spot for a safety this off-season, and two names I've heard thrown around are Weddle and Bullitt.

I know when we signed Madieu Williams, I was stoked but he turned out to be a dud, which i should have known since Bengal fans were happy he was gone.

So basically, can any knowledgable colts/chargers fans give me the low-down on Weddle or Bullitt? Are they any good or are you happy to see them (maybe) leave?
Weddle is pretty well loved by Chargers fans that I know. Bullitt IIRC is more of an in the box flyer than a pure cover guy. With the teams Minnesota is facing weddle is more the target.

Madieu is due something like 5.6 mill this season, he got a massive deal something like 30-35 over 5/6 seasons so I expect him getting cut.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact that we may not be able to retain Doug Free makes me feel pretty uneasy. He's probably the top Tackle in this FA class and we're like 20 million over the cap.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
The fact that we may not be able to retain Doug Free makes me feel pretty uneasy. He's probably the top Tackle in this FA class and we're like 20 million over the cap.
We probably won't be big spenders, but 1 thing I trust is Jerry not letting in house young talent leave. It'll get done, or he'll match any other deal. We still have a ton of people to cut to clear space who make a bunch of money like Columbo, Barber, Leonard Davis, and some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisman View Post

Look for the Vikings to do what they often do: take a Packer castaway.
Atari Bigby is now expendable. And he's currently healthy.

He'd prefer to play in Miami, or somewhere down South. But the dude ain't Troy Polamalu and won't have teams lining up for his services.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Chicago $37. million under

Maybe a Bears fan can help me out here, but with a cap figure like that, would the Bears make a move on Nnamdi? He would be another dominant defensive player on an already great defense and is probably of the same mindset/age as the other leaders on the team (Wanting to win now).

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komp View Post

Maybe a Bears fan can help me out here, but with a cap figure like that, would the Bears make a move on Nnamdi? He would be another dominant defensive player on an already great defense and is probably of the same mindset/age as the other leaders on the team (Wanting to win now).
The Bears badly need a corner, but their scheme doesn't value corners like other teams, so it's hard to say.

I'd say it's unlikely the Bears go after him due to the amount of $$ he will command & their philosophy overall.

Bears will probably go after one of the big name guards, resign some of their own players, and then go after a different corner.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bears- Braylon Edwards and Brandon Mebane + extension for Israel Idonije and maybe Greg Olson (both in last year of contract)

I wanted the Bears to draft both of those players, just took a little longer.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 07-25-2011 at 12:08 AM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Vikings are a great example of why you don't build through FA (besides the obvious Redskins). They are going to have to scrap that team from the bottom up, and are still currently 5 mil over the cap.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The Vikings are a great example of why you don't build through FA (besides the obvious Redskins). They are going to have to scrap that team from the bottom up, and are still currently 5 mil over the cap.
Exactly. Bear & Packer fans agreeing. Priceless.
Still, Peppers & Cutler weren't home-grown draftees either, and they are their most important additions of the past 2-3 years.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komp View Post

Wow, really, they are that much under the cap?
Dang.

First, look for them to target Packer players like Cullen Jenkins and James Jones perhaps.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

My Top Ten FREE AGENTS:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders
2. Sidney Rice, WR, Minnesota Vikings
3. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Carolina Panthers
4. Cullen Jenkins, DE/DT, Green Bay Packers
5. Johnathan Joseph, CB, Cincinnati Bengals
6. Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina Panthers:
7. Santonio Holmes, WR, NY Jets
8. Braylon Edwards, WR, NY Jets
9. Ray Edwards, DE, Minnesota Vikings
10. Brandon Mebane, DT, Seattle Seahawks

As a Packer fan, I hope the fact that there are 3 big name WRs here, plus 2 Steve Smiths and a Randy Moss & Terrell Owens, will lead to there being no market for my bitterfingered-James Jones, who I want to keep. The guy makes a lot of plays, even though he also has dropped a lot of big plays. He dropped 2 perfect TD passes in the playoffs (Philly & Pittsburgh), which allowed the games to then go down to the wire where luck played a major factor. Had he caught em both, each game would have been a more convincing win. But he gets open an awful lot to be able to be in that position so often.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ten guys I'd have no problems with giving a market-value contract to:

1. WR Sidney Rice, Vikings (24)

2. TE Zach Miller, Raiders (25)

3. OT Doug Free, Cowboys (27)

4. OG Marshal Yanda, Ravens (26)

5. DE Charles Johnson, Panthers (25)

6. DT Brandon Mebane, Seahawks (26)

7. DT Cullen Jenkins, Packers (30)

8. LB Matt Roth, Browns (28)

9. LB Paul Posluszny, Bills (26)

10. FS Eric Weddle, Chargers (26)

Some thoughts on a few of the guys I would probably hold off on:

Nnamdi Asomugha is 30 years old, are you paying him $15-20 million a year for what he is going to do each season moving forwards, or based on what he did in the past?

Ray Edwards is a well-rounded defensive end, but the market for him seems out of control. I'd be more willing to pay a guy like Charles Johnson who's younger.

Santonio Holmes might not be the kind of guy you want to pay...seems like somewhat of a disruption in the locker room and is someone I could see getting into trouble.

DeAngelo Williams is a quality starting running back with a few years left, but is coming off of an injury, and free agent running backs signed to big deals historically haven't worked out well.

Jason Babin was mediocre for his entire career before putting it together this season. Still, he's 31 years old and frequently misses time due to injury. Count me out.

Michael Huff seems like he might be the kind of guy to put it together for his payday...riskier than a lot of the other safeties available, most of whom are more consistent.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't put much stock in his cred, but since most places seem to be citing him for it, I'll post it.

Ledbetter is saying- Falcons won't pursue Edwards, will spend that cash on resigning Clabo. Edwards is heading to Philly.

Stephen Nicholas is heading to the Giants.

DeAngelo Williams and Charles Johnson are staying put.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Exactly. Bear & Packer fans agreeing. Priceless.
Still, Peppers & Cutler weren't home-grown draftees either, and they are their most important additions of the past 2-3 years.
The Bears are going to have to win now because it's rebuilding time for them in about 3 years as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Chiefs fan and being so far under the cap, it's damn important we give Tamba Hali a long term deal (he was franchised) and we re-sign Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr and Dwayne Bowe.

After that, I'd take an OT to play RT and a quality NT if one becomes available.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Update the OP:
Quote:
The NFL Network has confirmed that the new Collective Bargaining Agreement will allow for rookies to sign on Tuesday, and free agency to open Friday at 6PM ET.
The NFL Network's timeline is correct, after multiple reports of differing schedules. Players can report to their facilities for voluntary conditioning on Tuesday, and beginning at 10AM tomorrow all rookie draft picks and unsigned rookie free agents can begin signing. (It will be a hectic day.) Beginning on Thursday, NFL teams can begin waiving and releasing players. Full-blown free agency opens on Friday evening, the same day all players can begin reporting for training camp. Stay with us for several wild weeks of rumors, reports, and transactions.
No word on trades though. I assume they are a part of "Full-blown free agency" that begins on Friday at 6 PM ET. Should be epic.

EDIT: Trades begin Tuesday according to PFT. Kevin Kolb and Steve Smith could open camp with their new teams...

Last edited by gpngc : 07-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
As a Chiefs fan and being so far under the cap, it's damn important we give Tamba Hali a long term deal (he was franchised) and we re-sign Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr and Dwayne Bowe.

After that, I'd take an OT to play RT and a quality NT if one becomes available.
Interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure giving Tamba Hali a long-term deal would make his cap # lower for this season than if he played out the year tagged... unless they signed him to a ridiculously front-loaded contract for some reason.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure giving Tamba Hali a long-term deal would make his cap # lower for this season than if he played out the year tagged... unless they signed him to a ridiculously front-loaded contract for some reason.
Yeah I don't doubt that either. The main thing is to sign some of these younger guys who are starting to contribute AND a few key free agents AND our draft picks. Getting Hali locked up is key in that regard.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Rumors today:

- Matt Hasselbeck will most likely be the starting QB for the Titans on opening day.

- Kyle Orton will likely be traded. Possibilities include MIN, MIA, WAS, and ARZ.

- Seahawks in the mix for Kolb, but Cards remain the favorites.

- Reggie Bush is in play for the Rams.

- Bears are interested in WR Brad Smith.

- Giants could release Osi Umenyoria.

- Seahawks, Browns, and Eagles are in on Ray Edwards.

- The Jets #1 priority is re-signing Santonio Holmes.

- Quintin Mikell is a possibility for Carolina.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I imagine Brad Smith would primarily be brought in as a kick return replacement for Danieal Manning, which is perfectly fine with me.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I imagine Brad Smith would primarily be brought in as a kick return replacement for Danieal Manning, which is perfectly fine with me.
He's a jack-of-all trades on offense as well. And he's not an awful receiver. Can play a little wildcat QB, etc. The Bears love that kind of ****.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Giants aren't releasing Osi.