Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always hate CE on games. It always sees what you get is awesome but when you actually get it it sucks...for instance...I ordered the CE of Age of Conan way back...you got a leveling cape with it or something but they didnt tell you in preorder that it only worked until you were lvl 15 or something.

The only real bonus is the 3 extra days...but is 90 bucks worth it to me...no.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a store that is only available to people who got the CE edition of SW:TOR. No one knows what will be in it, but that is something.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So when is TOR being released there is no date at game stop.I jumped right over to see after reading here.Also I was curious whats the low down on MMO games for PC.Are they free to play online?The only reason I ask is DC online was making you pay is why I never got that game for ps3.Will TOR be the same price around 15 or so a month or will the yearly plan?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been playing the **** out of Beat Hazard Ultra with a friend. So goddamn fun...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
So when is TOR being released there is no date at game stop.I jumped right over to see after reading here.Also I was curious whats the low down on MMO games for PC.Are they free to play online?The only reason I ask is DC online was making you pay is why I never got that game for ps3.Will TOR be the same price around 15 or so a month or will the yearly plan?
Yes TOR is going to cost something to play more then likely it will be between 15-20 Bucks a month. There usually is a yearly plan when it comes to MMO that charge to play there will also prolly be Time cards u can buy.

If u want a Free MMO i suggest getting Diablo 3 when it comes out. Also Guilds Wars is ok if ur into MMOs.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:32 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Yes TOR is going to cost something to play more then likely it will be between 15-20 Bucks a month. There usually is a yearly plan when it comes to MMO that charge to play there will also prolly be Time cards u can buy.

If u want a Free MMO i suggest getting Diablo 3 when it comes out. Also Guilds Wars is ok if ur into MMOs.
Diablo isn't a MMO. Guild Wars 2 looks like a very promising non-subscription mmo. I wouldn't get Guild Wars with GW2 just around the corner.

But yeah TOR will be around $15-16 per month. It's pretty much the standard subscription fee.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
Diablo isn't a MMO. Guild Wars 2 looks like a very promising non-subscription mmo. I wouldn't get Guild Wars with GW2 just around the corner.

But yeah TOR will be around $15-16 per month. It's pretty much the standard subscription fee.
I would consider Diablo a MMO even thought there is a single player.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
I would consider Diablo a MMO even thought there is a single player.
4 People parties like the first really isn't an MMO. An MMO has the entire world populated with other peoples characters.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
exactly. diablo hasn't ever been a 'massively multiplayer' game. unless you want to suggest that, say, gears of duty whatever is an mmo.
People who don't know the difference between a multiplayer online game and a massively multiplayer online game... I don't know how the two concepts have become so foggy to so many people over the last 10 years.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

So...EA F*CKED up everything today...

Apparently, they're too good for Steam, so they're pulling all of their games off of the Steam system and are launching their own system called Origin. I don't trust this **** AT ALL. Also, with Origin, your lose the games after 2 years and all of your **** gets deleted.

Steam has done soooo much for PC gaming, and now EA comes in and ***** it all up... I don't know that I'll be playing TOR now. I don't want that **** on my computer because, like I said, I don't trust it...
Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

Apparently, they're too good for Steam, so they're pulling all of their games off of the Steam system and are launching their own system called Origin. I don't trust this **** AT ALL. Also, with Origin, your lose the games after 2 years and all of your **** gets deleted.

Steam has done soooo much for PC gaming, and now EA comes in and ***** it all up... I don't know that I'll be playing TOR now. I don't want that **** on my computer because, like I said, I don't trust it...
They're not pulling off all their games, only Crysis 2. They won't be releasing new games branded as Origin exclusives on Steam though.

Where did you read that you lose the games after 2 years? That sounds completely false.

EA originally tried this years ago, but it failed. It's really not a surprise to see them try again with all the success Steam is having.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 07-26-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services.

While I agree it's dumb, it most likely won't ever happen. It's there so they have the right. If they just deleted games from their users accounts, they'd never beat Steam and they know that.

Also, you could just buy the dvd. While I hate doing this now with my large collection on Steam, it's probably what I'll do for TOR and BF3.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 07-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i don't disagree that it's unlikely; characterizing it as completely false, however, is demonstrably untrue.
I asked for a source. I never read that before so it just sounded like a rumor to me. I'm not denying that it exists now with a proper link.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 07-26-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I'm confused. If you don't use the game for 24 months they could (in theory) delete it from your account?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
So I'm confused. If you don't use the game for 24 months they could (in theory) delete it from your account?
That's what it says in their terms of service. I have my doubts that they will ever do that, but I wouldn't put it past EA.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if this is quite the right thread for this, but I've seen hardware questions here before.

I'm in the market for a large(27 inch is ideal) LED monitor for gaming as well as just general entertainment purposes. Television functionality of some kind would be a major plus, but it's not completely necessarily either. At least one HDMI is the major requirement I'm working with, as well a good MS time for gaming. Lowest size I can realistically go down to is 24/23 and I know that opens things up a little bit as well as makes things slightly cheaper, but I would prefer the larger format as I will be watching movies from across a moderately size room from time to time on it. Resolution greater than 1920x1080 isn't really a big deal for me either. Looking to stay in the 300 type range, but I could go up a bit if there was a truly compelling option, although it would require a little bit of waiting. I could end up just purchasing a TV too, if the options are slightly better, but I would prefer a monitor just for the versatility and price benefits.

Here's what I've come up with so far;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116483

This one has all the prerequisites, with the exception of TV functionality, at a pretty good price(even cheaper if I order open box) . The MS is great. I haven't bought anything from Viewsonic in the past though, besides some HUGE CRT Monitor back in the late 90's I vaguely remember having some issues with. It's also not the most aesthetically pleasing of the ones I'm currently looking at. I also haven't been able to find a whole ton of reviews on it because it appears the product is fairly new.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001476

I've worked with Samsung's before and had generally good experiences with them and this one brings something to the table aesthetically, which is nice. The 2MS response time is in the range of what I'm looking for. No TV built in(acceptable, not ideal) and one HDMI is a bit of a bummer, however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001392

Current leader in the pack. I'm already a bit upset I didn't snag one today, Amazon had one at $250 for some reason earlier but they sold it. Good value for dollar and meets everything I want in terms of features. Slower response time than the other two, which isn't quite a deal breaker, but certainly isn't ideal. I'm not all that picky or some kind of video enthusiast though, so not really that big of a deal I suppose.

Edit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3&Tpk=FX2490HD

Also an option. 5MS isn't ideal and 24 inches isn't so good either, but everything else is solid and it's a new model at a good price, also a plus.

So yeah, any recommendations? Anyone know anything better?

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 07-28-2011 at 12:08 AM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:14 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

I can't believe anyone would get this angry over something so small and trivial. Is it stupid? Sure. Is it the end of the world like you're making it out to be? No. You have to log in once in TWO ******* YEARS to keep everything intact. Is it really THAT big of a deal? Of course it isn't.

Steam has a clause in their TOS stating that they can delete your account at any time for any reason, but you still use Steam. Give me a break.

This is a way for them to get rid of old, unused accounts. It isn't going to happen to you and it most likely won't happen to anyone you know. Take off the tin-foil hat.

edit ps:

UPDATE: EA has contacted Platform Nation and has told us that this clause was included for legal protection and they have no intention of deleting users accounts or games. EA representatives also said “rest assured 100% we will never delete paid content”. So it looks like your games and content are safe on Origin.

http://www.platformnation.com/2011/0...er-inactivity/

The sky isn't falling afterall!

Last edited by vidae : 07-28-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

I trust Valve, I don't trust EA. It's a huge deal. The only PC games I get from EA are Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I like Steam, but I HATE the idea of having another similar program running on my machine like that. And I don't trust EA's system to not go through my Steam files and find EA games and **** **** up.

It's a serious inconvenience, and I just don't trust EA.

For monitors, I don't touch anything that isn't Samsung.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

So don't use Origin. It's literally that simple. Don't like something? Don't use it.

And it so isn't a huge deal, you're just making it out to be one.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Downloading the Battlefield 3 alpha. It's easy. You have to have or create an EA account and download Origin. Then go to go to bf3alpha.battlefield.com and log in. It will give you a key to redeem on Origin.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Steam is perfect. EA is wasting money with Origin and it seems like they think way too highly of their PC gaming market... Which consists of...ME and DA... Gotta wonder how long Bioware sticks with them...
Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Downloading the Battlefield 3 alpha. It's easy. You have to have or create an EA account and download Origin. Then go to go to bf3alpha.battlefield.com and log in. It will give you a key to redeem on Origin.
Do they give them to everyone who does that?
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i've had nothing but good experiences with viewsonic. in fact, over 4-5 monitors, i've never even had so much as a dead pixel.

that said, if you can, find a retailer selling them, and go check them out in person. i don't tend to find a lot of noticeable difference between same-level lcds (assuming, of course, that you're not buying some bizarre off brand). *shrug*
Looks more and more like I'm going with that one. No retailers selling it near me though :( So I'm going off specs and word of mouth alone. The 24 inch Samsung is still in play too though, just wish they made the same thing in a 27 for a competitive price with Viewsonic.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Do they give them to everyone who does that?
I believe so. I don't know if there are limited keys, but after going to that website and logging in they will give you a key. You enter that key on Origin and then start the download.

Looking at that website again, it skips step 1: invitation by going to that link. I don't know if it is suppose to work openly.

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 07-28-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I believe so. I don't know if there are limited keys, but after going to that website and logging in they will give you a key. You enter that key on Origin and then start the download.

Looking at that website again, it skips step 1: invitation by going to that link. I don't know if it is suppose to work openly.
I did this and it came up saying I was not able to do it. So it must be limited.

Quote:
Gwin writes:
Please note this is exactly what i did and 1-3 days later i received my code, so it’s probably not a coincidence(sic)
1. Login to EA of your account
2. Add the games of battlefield series (i added BF2, BF1942)
3. Add BF3! i did this because it was there
4. Explore around the Origin Site (i did this but don’t know if it’s related)
when i did this, within 3 days i got my invite… i think the age of the account, the games you bought over the years and what your interests/jobs are (if in IT i think they think that you understand tech stuff) is part of the invite process
this is what i did, you can try too so don’t get angry if it doesn’t work.
Please note i only have added Battlefield games on my EA account so i don’t know if this also makes a difference.
P.S i don’t think it’s against the rules to post when i did which MAY get your an invite.
Disclaimer: Please do not use any of this information, I do not condone any use of this information, it’s for educational purposes only.
Secondly

Quote:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARTICIPANTS OF ALPHA TESTING BATTLEFIELD 3:
Dates: July 19 – August 1
Platform: PC
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER (use any browser other than opera)
1) Site Alpha testing BF3 https://bf3alpha.battlefield.com/index.php?id=1
2) Login using your credentials for a user account EA or sign up to EA
3) Accept the terms of use and confirm their participation
4) Get the code for loading the game Will be at top of screen)
5) Download the game client, follow the instructions to download
6) Leave a comment and answer questions in our questionnaire on security forum

Last edited by StripedWalrus : 07-28-2011 at 11:10 PM.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote