Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 07-26-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Nick Barnett

Gonna be cut by the Packers and named us as one of the teams he really wants to play for. We could sign him to a 3-year deal or something like that. No risk, just let him start while Foster/McKenzie/Black get experience until they're ready.

We all (except Caddy) know how much Ruud sucks and it looks like Poz is gonna stay in Buffalo. Even if you do like Ruud you have to concede that signing Barnett to a shorter-term contract is much less risky.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Barnett's biggest suitors will be the Lions and Bucs. Kind of funny though seeing I know how you guys rag on Rudd, Barnett was criticized the same way by Packers fans for years.

He's still a very good player but he ran into some bad luck injuries the past few years.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvv84 View Post
I think Barnett's biggest suitors will be the Lions and Bucs. Kind of funny though seeing I know how you guys rag on Rudd, Barnett was criticized the same way by Packers fans for years.

He's still a very good player but he ran into some bad luck injuries the past few years.
I really don't think Tampa Bay will be in the market for Barnett. The media on ESPN has projected interest, but pewterreport.com has shown if they are interested in a MLB, it would most likely be Paul Posloszny or replace him with Foster or McKenzie.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ruud is the only finesse MLB in the league. I'll leave it at that.

The staff is really excited about Foster and even McKenzie, so Barnett is very low risk with the cap room we have.

Agree about Poz bucfan but I don't think he'll make the market.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Gonna be cut by the Packers and named us as one of the teams he really wants to play for. We could sign him to a 3-year deal or something like that. No risk, just let him start while Foster/McKenzie/Black get experience until they're ready.

We all (except Caddy) know how much Ruud sucks and it looks like Poz is gonna stay in Buffalo. Even if you do like Ruud you have to concede that signing Barnett to a shorter-term contract is much less risky.
Heyyyyyyyy :( Don't think I won't have you banned!

But seriously I wouldn't mind bringing Barnett in. He has always been a favourite non-buc player of mine. Plus, he'd get injured before week 7 so Foster can step in after learning for a bit :D

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barnett doesn't fit the profile. He's 30, he's been injury-prone, I don't see the Bucs having any interest at all.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Heyyyyyyyy :( Don't think I won't have you banned!

But seriously I wouldn't mind bringing Barnett in. He has always been a favourite non-buc player of mine. Plus, he'd get injured before week 7 so Foster can step in after learning for a bit :D
I hate to say it, but that's kind of my thinking. Sign Barnett to a relatively short-term deal to help tutor Foster and let him ease into the starting gig. If we're seriously expecting a playoff run then we should be concerned about depending on a rookie MLB in a playoff atmosphere. Barnett has experience and big-game experience and poses no threat to our ability to extend our current group of players. There's really no downside to signing him and all it says is that we are doing our best to make certain that we have a good LB group. We need to minimize uncertainty with the youth at the position.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the thinking in Tampa is, and has been, that signing a FA would take away training camp reps and game reps from the younger players the team wants to grow with. Don't shoot the messenger, that's our MO. I don't see why we would break that MO for Nick Barnett.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

I fully expect our MLB depth chart to be Foster-McKenzie, but I'd like to add Barnett to that mix. Dominik is stubbornly anointing Foster the MLB when I'd like to see him start out as our 4th MLB like Ruud did.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I fully expect our MLB depth chart to be Foster-McKenzie, but I'd like to add Barnett to that mix. Dominik is stubbornly anointing Foster the MLB when I'd like to see him start out as our 4th MLB like Ruud did.
You throw high expectations on Foster and he;ll be more likely to meet them than if we give him no expectations... well, there's a pretty good chance he could meet no expectations. If Foster is going to sit behind somebody, I wouldn't think McKenzie wouldn't be a bad guy. Third year in the league and almost a year in the T-2 should give him enough knowledge and experience to be able to adequately perform his duties until Foster is ready.

Of course there is option #3, which is the drum I've been banging for a while now. Quincy Black. A guy with his speed and athleticism would be most effective at Mike where he can roam, make plays sideline-to-sideline, and use his speed to run the alley in the middle of the field. I suspect/hope that Black is being suckered into his deal as a Sam, only to be flipped to Mike because he "knows the system" and have Watson fight Foster for reps at Sam. Foster's athleticism seems more suited for Sam anyways. People that think he'll be an athletic upgrade over Ruud will be sorely mistaken. He is an athletic parrallel to Ruud... but in terms of a player, he is clearly superior... because he's not Ruud.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

His athleticism trumps Ruud's because he's built with more strength and power in his legs, meaning that he doesn't get run over and dragged constantly. Ruud is probably quicker in his drops but Black is quicker downhill because of his burst, making him a better blitzer and TFL guy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

You talking about Black or Foster? BTW, Ruud got blocked because he chooses to be, he never submarined a blocker, never put his helmet in the blocker's chest, never tried to at least run around the blocker, he just simply puts his patty cake hands up and allows himself to be pushed down field. That is a mentality, not a technique. Players are better off dropping to the ground when they are near the hole when being blocked by a bigger guy, at least that creates traffic on the ground for the runner to have to avoid. Ruud couldn't even do that, instead he wanted to geet pushed downfield.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
You talking about Black or Foster? BTW, Ruud got blocked because he chooses to be, he never submarined a blocker, never put his helmet in the blocker's chest, never tried to at least run around the blocker, he just simply puts his patty cake hands up and allows himself to be pushed down field. That is a mentality, not a technique. Players are better off dropping to the ground when they are near the hole when being blocked by a bigger guy, at least that creates traffic on the ground for the runner to have to avoid. Ruud couldn't even do that, instead he wanted to geet pushed downfield.
I was talking about Black. What you're syaing about Ruud's mentality is true, but he also doesn't have the power to strike through his hips so he often gets run over and dragged by smaller backs. That's an athletic deficiency that should've been identified by our incompetent previous staff before they drafted him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

There's no doubt Black is superior in every way athletically. In our D, only the Sam HAS to take on blocks on every play. I always thought Ruud was more suited for the Sam and Black for the Mike... but Ruud never did show he could take on blocks, athletic deficiency or not, I'd rather see the guy on the ground than running 15.5 mph in reverse being pushed like a blocking sled.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Black is a great athlete, but that's about all I see in him. He's never struck me as an instinctive player. It would be interesting to see him moved into the MLB spot simply because he's got the speed to cover the deep middle and he's familiar with that role from his time at New Mexico.