2011 Colts Preseason thread: Week 1 @ Rams 8/13
It's hard to believe, but the 2011 NFL season is almost here, and, as is tradition, there are four quasi-meaningless games to get out of the way first. Of course there's the intrigue of camp battles and determining the final few roster spots, but for the most part, I'm sure I speak for most when I say that I wish the season would hurry up and get here.
That said, a few things that I will be watching in the preseason are:
1) The Offensive Line - My biggest concern here is that the young players find spots to start on the OL, particularly (in order of importance) Castanzo, Ijalana, and McClendon.
2) The Defensive Line - There's a whole bunch of intrigue here this year. Will Jerry Hughes earn playing time? Will Fili Moala take the next step toward good or maybe even elite play? How exactly will Tommie Harris and Jamaal Anderson fit into this defense? All things that will hopefully begin to take shape in the preseason.
3) The Runningbacks - The position appears to be set, but the UDFAs the Colts brought in at this position are loaded with talent. I don't think they'll let Darren Evans get off the roster, which means Devin Moore and Chad Spann are likely out of luck...unless management decides that Donald Brown needs to get the axe. It's not likely, but it's an outside possibility.
4) Camp Battle: Lacey vs. Tryon -How is Lacey winning this at this point? I predict Tryon will overtake him by week 1.
5) Camp Battle: Bullitt vs. Lefeged - Honestly, I doubt this is a battle, I'm just desperately hoping it is. Bullitt is in his best role as a backup, and I think he'll be that again very soon, be it before the end of this season or the start of next.
That's all I can think of. I'm glad football is finally back, it's an exciting time. What are your thoughts?
The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.
If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge