Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of Gears 3...

I'm really disappointed that they did away with Guardian mode. I dont know about you guys, but I thought Guardian was far and away the best mode to play in Gears 2. Unlike in Warzone/Execution...you can actually respawn. It was a essentially team death match, with a leader to protect. The games lasted soooo much longer.

Now, they've done away with Guardian and pretty much combined Guardian with Submission which sounds fine, but in place of Guardian, I'm not a big fan. Instead of capturing the meat flag, you now have to capture the leader and hold him captive for a certain amount of time.

At least they finally added a team death match mode. But good luck if you're on a team with some bad guys. Because there is one respawn pool for the whole team to share. 15 respawns. Once those are up, you cant come back in. So that really sucks if you play with some scrub players, which is bound to happen.

I'm still excited for the game...but I never got the hype around warzone/execution modes, because they just go too fast. I prefer a mode where there is respawning, and the games lasted much longer and can have a more epic feel to them. Guardian was best for this.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually prefer the regular death match in Gears and only having one life per round. It was the first time I ever played a shooter that did that and it made staying alive a lot more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reviews coming in for it are extremely strong. Getting harder and harder to pass up..

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I actually prefer the regular death match in Gears and only having one life per round. It was the first time I ever played a shooter that did that and it made staying alive a lot more important.
I really dont like how fast those matches go, though. I got bored of it quickly...Guardian just lasted so much longer, and actually required some sort of team work.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, the reviews from IGN and Gamespot really sold me on Gear 3. It just looks too polished to pass up. Amazon(I think Best Buy as well) are offering a $20 dollar credit for purchasing it as well, so that's just too good of a deal to pass up.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Ok, the reviews from IGN and Gamespot really sold me on Gear 3. It just looks too polished to pass up. Amazon(I think Best Buy as well) are offering a $20 dollar credit for purchasing it as well, so that's just too good of a deal to pass up.
Thats a hell of a deal.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Ugh....I always miss out on those. Maybe I should cancel my preorder at Gamestop and get it from Amazon. I dont even know what perk comes from the gamestop preorder.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

You can get release day shipping from Amazon for free as well. Not quite as exciting as going to the store and coming back with a game, but it's a damn good deal.

Just checked. Unclear is Best Buy is offering the $20 thing. But Amazon is for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

hmmm....yup, might have to go the Amazon route.

We're going to have to set up some community matches so a bunch of us can play. I'm excited.

I kind of hate playing online before beating the campaign, but I know that's not gonna happen this year. Maybe we could even find enough guys to team up on the campaign sometime, but that may be a little tougher.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-15-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll likely go the Amazon route as well. It's tough for me to get to a Gamestop here, so I figure I can do than Amazon deal just as well. I don't think I'll be able to play it online for about a week though as the wireless router I ordered is taking longer to get here than I hoped.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'm excited. Looks like a lot of us will be getting it.

Do you plan on playing online, Jvig?

That'd be at least...

Me, EE, Forenci, Jvig, Scotty D, ImBrotherCain, nepg, and Caddy that are getting it, I believe.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't play online before beating the campaign, but that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll definitely be getting it sometime in the near future as well. I mean, how can I not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just pre-ordered through amazon.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm most defiantly getting it. Comes out on my bday too so it will be the first game in a while I can buy without having to trade games in to afford it. Would be going to midnight release, but I'm busy. Next week I won't get any work done between Gears and any other game I buy haha

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I'm excited. Looks like a lot of us will be getting it.

Do you plan on playing online, Jvig?

That'd be at least...

Me, EE, Forenci, Jvig, Scotty D, ImBrotherCain, nepg, and Caddy that are getting it, I believe.
Yeah I plan on getting it but am not sure if my Xbox will be shipped back to me by then so I may be playing on a friends account, well see how it goes. Either way I wanna get in on some swdc multiplayer.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the love that GoW3 is getting right now! I'm on a mid semester break right now so I'll be picking up this bad boy as soon as it comes out in Aus and playing it non-stop.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I beat Oblivion. Well a lot of it anyway....the main storyline and such. 60 Hours worth. I still need to check out the Thieves guild, the Dark Brotherhood, and the Shivering Isles.

I mean, I had some fun with it...but I tend to think it was a little on the overrated side. It doesnt touch the awesomeness of Fallout, imo. The ending, gave me a, "Is that it?" moment. Meeting Mankar Camoran was a let down, because he looked like every other dark elf in the game. And closing all those Oblivion gates got insanely tedious.

But yeah, I still did have fun playing it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-15-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I agree with you, for the most part. Morrowind was the much stronger title out of the two for a variety of reasons. It's still kind of awesome in the fact that it's an immersive, large fantasy world that's realized fairly well...but the plot and the gameplay just doesn't do much for me.

Do the Dark Brotherhood Quest for sure though. It's one of the best quests in the game.

Skyrim looks much more promising. The setting looks better, the animations look a lot better, combat seems to have more too it, ect.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I beat Oblivion. Well a lot of it anyway....the main storyline and such. 60 Hours worth. I still need to check out the Thieves guild, the Dark Brotherhood, and the Shivering Isles.

I mean, I had some fun with it...but I tend to think it was a little on the overrated side. It doesnt touch the awesomeness of Fallout, imo. The ending, gave me a, "Is that it?" moment. Meeting Mankar Camoran was a let down, because he looked like every other dark elf in the game. And closing all those Oblivion gates got insanely tedious.

But yeah, I still did have fun playing it.
See I feel the same way... I love Oblivion. I put over 100 hours into the game but I still feel it couldn't hold a candle to Morrowind. They dumbed down the gameplay to make it more user friendly. They removed so much I was just sickened.

That is my biggest fear about Skyrim. Everything I am hearing is that they are lowering the number of skills there are and that could only be the tip of it.

EDIT: Damn it EE you always beat me to these things!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I've heard the same. I heard they also did away with weapon/armor fixes. No weapon or armor degradation. I know a lot of people hate that they axed the repair hammers. I rarely carried or used them, myself. I just paid for my repairs, but still...this is still being viewed as another dumbed down feature. I couldnt even imagine Fallout without weapon degradation. I dont know why they've opted to do that here, either.

Still...my main draw to Skyrim was actually the visuals. That engine looks amazing. I have faith in Bethesda to turn out a fantastic product. Perhaps it will be more universally friendly and upset the more hardcore RPG players, but the finished product is bound to be something special. Luckily in my case, I'm not insanely invested in the Elder Scrolls universe and it's gameplay, however. I can certainly see why many fans of the series would be pissed off, though. Hopefully they find a nice balance. Lord knows, it's possible to really piss off your built in fanbase with one too many changes...look at Dragon Age 2. :/

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I pretty much order all my games on amazon now. I just preordered about 7 games because the price is always good, release day shipping, and they often have those credits for $20. I preorder games early and they add any new offers/promotions that come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I pretty much order all my games on amazon now. I just preordered about 7 games because the price is always good, release day shipping, and they often have those credits for $20. I preorder games early and they add any new offers/promotions that come up.
Yeah, I really need to open my eyes to this. Normally I just go to Gamestop and preorder a few games at the same time and that's it. Then of course, later on I here about these awesome deals that I could have had.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I really don't know how I feel about the entire take things out thing in games like that. I'm all for depth, don't get me wrong....but there's something to be said for trimming the fat and coming through with a design that's not intricate for the sake of being intricate. There's a line somewhere, to be sure...it's just less and less clear all the time as to where that line is. I think the main mistake Oblivion made was it was just not truly dedicated to one philosophy or the other. The stuff they removed seemed to have been picked arbitrarily as opposed to making an awesome, balanced product.

But yeah, depth wasn't my real problem with Oblivion. It wasn't as good as Morrowind in that regard, but not my main problem. It was mostly just how damn generic the entire thing was. Morrowind exuded personality and the art direction was fantastic. Skyrim looks to be getting back to that kind of thing with the setting and the plot certainly seems more interesting this go around as well.

As far as Amazon goes, it's something I don't do often enough either. I usually take Tuesday off for releases I'm pumped up about enough, so it kind of takes something away to be sitting around all day waiting for the delivery to come. It defiantly pays to make use of it though. Makes all the difference in this case with Gears of War 3. I've got Resident Evil 4 HD and the Shadow of the Colossus collection as well this month and that extra $20 dollars makes RE4 free haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I had the bright idea of trying to teach my dad how to play Gears of War. Started a new campaign. lol.

I've tried to teach people to play newer video games before, and it's pretty difficult. I tried to teach both an ex-girlfriend and my sister how to play Fable, but like my dad, they're all having trouble on the same thing. And that is moving around. lol. They cant really grasp that you need to use both sticks these days. This is the same problem I ran into when I tried to teach my dad how to use the vision cone in Madden.

Anyway, my dad could barely navigate around in Gears. And spent most of his time, staring at his feet, standing in one place. It's really not easy to teach to someone who's never played these type of games.

Left stick moves your feet, right stick turns your body and lets you look around/aim. That right stick might as well not even be there, though. Because no matter how much I try to teach them to use it, they dont seem to touch it.

The best success I have had in teaching my dad, would be in Madden and NBA 2K. Forget any sports game that uses the analog sticks in primary fashion, however. Like Fight Night or the NHL games. Shot stick and analog punching is a no go.

edit...Well at least in the hour we played. He still managed to kill two dudes and he only died once. He was downed about 10 times, but only one death. haha. I hope he'll learn, but I dont know if it's going to happen.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-16-2011 at 12:23 PM.