Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-17-2011, 11:29 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Not a fan of where Japan is currently at, in game devlopement right now, either. That's why I was so reluctant to play Nier, but it really surprised me. It borrows a lot of gameplay elements from other games, however.

Normally, Japan is just behind the eight ball these days. The early gameplay I saw a while back of Dragon's Dogma, has me worried about it. I'll still keep an eye on it, though.

Japanese developers havent been too innovative as of late...this is why they should just bring back survival horror. lol. They're stuck in their old customs, anyway.

Resident Evil 6: Stuck in a mansion with a bunch of zombies...again.

That'd be a WIN in my book.

I certainly enjoyed RE5, but gah lets not build Resident Evil's campaign around co-op and take away scares for just straight action. RE4 was amazing. I just dont like where they've taken things. I used to be a big Capcom fan...I've really soured on them.
Japanese games are just way too obviously linear. Their focus is a lot different than American developers. Japanese developers tend to not do enough, but the games are usually complete and feel like they're well-polished. American developers usually try to do too much and the games often feel broken or there are just parts that don't make sense and there's often a lack of polish.

Valve, Blizzard, and Bioware seem like the only companies that seem capable of making well-polished, fun, and great games with good storylines. Square used to be infallable, but they haven't put out anything worth a crap in quite some time.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But that's the entire point of the game. It's not about the puzzles or the jumping...it's about being dropped into a situation oozing with atmosphere and the discovering it all. It's more about what goes through your mind than what they tell you. That's the definition of good writing, in my opinion.

There's a place for both styles, don't get me wrong...but things that challenge you and interact with you are always better than things that tell you.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt say polished. Every japanese game I pick up feels outdated and with that, comes a lack of polish, because the mechanics and the apparent technology used seemed to be lagging behind.

There are a lot more developers than you listed that are really at the forefront of this games race. Bethesda, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Epic, branches of 2K, branches of EA, etc...they're all superior developers to Japanese developers. They're all well ahead of the game.

All these companies could learn a thing or two about character creation, however. Most Western games boast a similar hero. And the Japanese still love the one note interchangable hero with crazy hair. And their idea of what Amercans want to see in video characters is horrible. Like a hulked up Chris Redfield and inflated tits and ass everywhere. You see that new 3DS Resident Evil game? The chick they have in there is hilarious. Big ass, big boobs, long flowing blonde hair. (you cant even see her eyes). And she's obviously wearing the proper cleavage barring attire.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-18-2011 at 12:21 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
But that's the entire point of the game. It's not about the puzzles or the jumping...it's about being dropped into a situation oozing with atmosphere and the discovering it all. It's more about what goes through your mind than what they tell you. That's the definition of good writing, in my opinion.

There's a place for both styles, don't get me wrong...but things that challenge you and interact with you are always better than things that tell you.
The problem is...you dont discover anything. The story is incoherent. The puzzles should have had a deeper meaning which connect to the backstory, but really, it all seems random. There are theories about the story, but they all have holes in them. This has been one of the common complaints about this game. I was hoping for some big pay off in the end, but you dont learn anything.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldnt say polished. Every japanese game I pick up feels outdated and with that, comes a lack of polish, because the mechanics and the apparent technology used seemed to be lagging behind.

There are a lot more developers than you listed that are really at the forefront of this games race. Bethesda, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Epic, branches of 2K, branches of EA, etc...they're all superior developers to Japanese developers. They're all well ahead of the game.

All these companies could learn a thing or two about character creation, however. Most Western games boast a similar hero. And the Japanese still love the one note interchangable hero with crazy hair. And their idea of what Amercans want to see in video characters is horrible. Like a hulked up Chris Redford and inflated tits and ass everywhere. You see that new 3DS Resident Evil game? The chick they have in there is hilarious. Big ass, big boobs, long flowing blonde hair. (you cant even see her eyes). And she's obviously wearing the proper cleavage barring attire.
I accidentally omitted Rockstar. But the rest have games that are very flawed. Every game the ones I mentioned put out is nearly perfect.

Bethesda piles way too much fluff in their games, Ubisoft puts out a lot of crap, and you could probably say the same for the rest.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish tomorrow was Tuesday. So much more interesting of a day with Gears and RE4.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

My Gamestop is having a rare midnight release. I dont know if I'll go, though.

Seems like whenever I get a new game, I'm always too tired to even play it right away.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-18-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:36 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anyone play NHL 12 this year? Worth getting. Got madden pretty much hate it. I avoided buying it for last 5-6 years finally pick it up, horrible decision.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
My Gamestop is having a rare midnite release. I dont know if I'll go, though.

Seems like whenever I get a new game, I'm always too tired to even play it right away.
The only midnight release I've ever been to was LA Noire's. That wasn't even because I was super pumped for the game, I just didn't have anything to do on that particular night. It was nothing like I thought it would be. Fairly awkward affair even, there were like three other people there and some pack of extremely scummy kids. But yeah, by the time I got back I was sort of not in the mood either. I can't imagine doing that for a shooter. I like to be pretty awake when I play those haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-18-2011, 10:42 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
anyone play NHL 12 this year? Worth getting. Got madden pretty much hate it. I avoided buying it for last 5-6 years finally pick it up, horrible decision.

Love NHL. For some reason it seems like EA works the hardest on the game for the 4th most popular sport in the country.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Only midnight release I went to prior, was for GTA4. I was the only one there, it was me, the clerk, and a mall cop. And yeah, I was too exhausted to play, anyway. Didnt play till the next day. It was pointless to go.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been to a ton of midnight releases. Tons of ridiculous lines and free gifts and stuff. It's interesting. I even used to go to tag along with my roommates for games they were getting.

I think of been to the following midnight releases...
Madden 07, GTA4, All of the Halos and CODs, Assasin's Creed 2 and probably a couple of others.

And yes, I'm going to the Gears 3 midnight release tonight.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

What's your GT Cashmoney?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-19-2011, 11:40 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CashmoneyDrew

:)
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
CashmoneyDrew

:)
We may be friends already, I'm not sure. lol. I'll check today.

I'm getting excited for Gears, though. I just know I'll be horrible right away, but I cant wait to play online. Never got a chance to play the beta, either. I'm not going to know where any of the weapons are.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

The game in the beta was pretty much just race for the Digger and not get killed by the Sawed-Off. I wouldn't really know much about it considering I played all of three games of the beta or something like that....but that's what I took out of it. The Thrashball Map was a blast.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-19-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Well...any time you guys want to play, just let me know. I'm on live all the time. Last year, my friend and I would just create a party and play guardian with a bunch of randoms. And the party would grow, if we met some good players, we liked. Good times.

It's funny, the only other forum I post on, has a lot of international flavor, and a bunch of them are getting Gears. We plan on teaming up every once and while. Now that would be a weird ass group to be up against if everyone was mic'd up. It would be like an American dude, a Scottish dude, an Aussie, a Finnish chick, and a native Puerto Rican. There arent many Americans at the Alan Wake forums.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just about to head down to the store to pick up Gears :D

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

They better not kill off Cole. haha.

Someone's gonna die at least.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will be getting Gears tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cheapest I could find it was for $99. Unless I can find it cheaper I'm just going to order it online and have to wait 4-10 days. :(

No spoilers!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Awwww that sucks. You guys get raped with game prices.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I'm stoked! Hopefully it gets here on time.

It's currently in Tulsa, OK, which is 4.5 hours from KCMO. I'm jizzing everywhere. Somebody get me my splooge mop.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Scratch that MOTH. Kmart had it on sale for launch day for 69bucks and with a discount card I have acquired nabbed it for 65!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got back from Gamestop. Always a different kind of crowd at midnight releases.